AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Academic Research

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shame the OP didnt use her own photos from her camming days, instead of having a national newspaper out a camgirl to her friends and family.... a cam girl with nothing to do with the article either. This is what happens when we let people do 'research' on us :/

shame the OP didnt use her own photos from her camming days, instead of having a national newspaper out a camgirl to her friends and family.... a cam girl with nothing to do with the article either. This is what happens when we let people do 'research' on us :/

I know that was an issue in an article in The Independent -- is this the same article?

I think it's totally gross and sleazy to use someone's pictures without permission but I wonder (if it was Rachel who wrote that article) if the author gets to choose the photos.

I know that was an issue in an article in The Independent -- is this the same article?

I think it's totally gross and sleazy to use someone's pictures without permission but I wonder (if it was Rachel who wrote that article) if the author gets to choose the photos.

I am fairly certain that The Independent article was a reprint of this one and Rachel had nothing to do with it.

For those not aware of what @MiaFoxUK and @GenXoxo are talking about, The Independent took Rachel's article and reprinted it, and used a picture of Blathh and Vex with the headline. The paper claims that their social media folks found the picture using Google Image Search and just decided to use it without permission. It's a fucked up situation and so incredibly unfair.

I don't believe Rachel is at fault for this, but I do think the point about what happens when we're open about our profession isn't entirely wrong. Sex work is glamorous and lascivious and taboo to most people, and they seem to make reckless decisions when it comes to discussing it publicly in print (or really any other medium).

I am sorry it has taken a while to post this, but I am working over the Christmas period. Let me say this, the purpose of the interviews was and is to feed my PhD thesis and future academic journal publications . I had absolutely nothing to do with The Independent using my article in The Conversation, let alone the shocking use of the photograph that has been so damaging.
The idea of The Conversation article was sort of an academic staking out of territory. The Conversation only allows you to publish an article if you are an academic studying at a university. I wanted to let the other academics that are starting to write about camming know that a rigorously researched thesis was on its way. I don’t know if you know this but an American academic has just written an article based on her observations of what is being said by women in public webcam forums. The title of the work is I get paid to orgasm and I felt that it was belittling of the serious work ethic that a lot of the women I have interviewed have. I cannot emphasise enough that my thesis when published will be a serious work that explores themes of precarity, entrepreneurialism and the repossessing of a form of sex work by the women who are engaged in it. My intention by letting the academic world know that my work is based on qualitative interviews was to stop further works based on the ethnographic observations of forums such as this one. My own work will be based on the anonymised content of the interviews that I have conducted for which I have gained the informed consent of the women interviewed. I think it morally ambiguous to use observations of public forums to inform academic studies.
I was horrified when the article, which I don't consider to be academic was picked up by The Independent.A newspaper I would never write for yet alone buy based on the fact it is owned and run by the Lebedev family who make Rupert Murdoch look like a boy scout. I was even more gutted when I discovered that they had used a random image of a woman and have caused such devastation to her life. The intention was and still is to publish a thesis that shows how a form of sexual labour develops when we don’t have that old crap about victimisation, so when the Independent used it in and in such a salacious way I literally cried. That they have victimised a woman in such a way is horrifying to me.
I cannot describe how upset I am over what has happened. I owe a massive debt of gratitude to the women I have interviewed. Their insights will be used to inform a 100,000-word doctoral thesis which I hope will be met with the approval of the webcam community as a whole as it will illustrate the lived experiences of the women involved.

I don't see how throwing down the gauntlet to potential adversaries helps models working in the industry, nor how it would help them maintain their privacy should the subject of webcamming become a topic of general interest.

*cough*

Reactions: AudriTwo
Wow. Yeah that was sad and disgusting of the Independent. Fucking scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.