AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Allergies

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2019
I can’t believe after 21 years of never having them, I have to deal with it now- it’s such a shock haha. As common as they are, I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can all contribute our tips for dealing with them. It seems like the only thing that truly helps me is benedril, but I HATE HATE HATEEEEE using pharmacudicals, so when I do you know it’s terrible, whether it be a headache or allergies or whatever. And I’m probablt not the only one who hates the obvious “pill” answer- hence why I made this thread ;) so we can share other methods.

So here’s what I have to contribute so far:
-Similasin. Their allergy eye drops, their allergy nasal spray, their everything. I’m actually a pretty huge fangirl of this brand for alternative reasons, but I haven’t found any pill products from them and i’m disappointed for having to either ride it out or settle for the benes (my nickname for benedril, lol)??? Correct me if I’m wrong and they do sell pills!!!
-I plan on buying room filters, really nice ones. I have 4 that I’m eyeballing, I just haven’t yet because I’m going to be in the midst of camming away from home (so I’ll basically have 2+ homes), then moving, and it just would feel like too much work to lug my devices everywhere. But it may be worth it, hmmm. I’m tempted...
Oh, I’ll link the ones I was looking at once I’m on my laptop. Currently posting on mobile
-Plants. Same as above. I know there are specific ones that filter out the air quality. This I will be definitely be waiting until I actually move move, because I want my babies to have a nice, stable home and not be touched all the time (yes, I’m gonna be a good plant mama)
-Skin care. I don’t know about you guys, but when my allergies act up, my SKIN acts up as well (now that I think of it, I could have just named this thread surviving winter, lolz). I’m pretty out of luck here, because skin care is expensive, and to keep it up those expenses add up- I just have to deal with feeling like a prickly pear. I will link what I was planning on buying skincare-wise once I have the money saved up, once i get on my laptop. The products I’m confident will be good, just pricy

I know there’s probably a couple more things I can add, just not thinking of them right now. If anyone wants to contribute allergy hacks, tips, or tricks, t’is the place :)

I have pretty bad allergies. I take an Allegra every morning and on extra bad days I’ll also use Flonase. This combo keeps me pretty functional and happy. Flonase gives me anxiety if I use it too much so I avoid taking that unless I’m really suffering even with Allegra. Allegra is one of the few pills that doesn’t make me feel drowsy.

I have really bad allergies during summer and spring. I eat local raw honey every day. It actually helps a lot with the sneezing. My sneezing was so bad I couldn't drive.
Side note I didn't have allergies when I was living in a different state. I honestly thought about moving back because of it.

Reactions: AudriTwo
I have deadly allergies. Nonstop sneezing, sniffling, itchy eyes from mid-August till January. And don't let me any where near a cat.

While I was working, I ignored it. I was in air conditioning and the symptoms would go away after an hour. But when I retired, with no A/C in the house, there was no relief. First I got the steroid shot. That worked, but each time the doctor wanted me to try OTC remedies. I finally found that a Claritin and a Zyrtec a day keeps them at bay, mostly. I don't notice any side effects. There will be the occasional burst of sneezing and sniffles, but it usually passes quickly.

Costco sells way lower cost versions. I can get a 2-year's supply for around $40. I think Amazon has the same deals.

I can’t believe after 21 years of never having them, I have to deal with it now- it’s such a shock haha. As common as they are, I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can all contribute our tips for dealing with them. It seems like the only thing that truly helps me is benedril, but I HATE HATE HATEEEEE using pharmacudicals, so when I do you know it’s terrible, whether it be a headache or allergies or whatever. And I’m probablt not the only one who hates the obvious “pill” answer- hence why I made this thread ;) so we can share other methods.

So here’s what I have to contribute so far:
-Similasin. Their allergy eye drops, their allergy nasal spray, their everything. I’m actually a pretty huge fangirl of this brand for alternative reasons, but I haven’t found any pill products from them and i’m disappointed for having to either ride it out or settle for the benes (my nickname for benedril, lol)??? Correct me if I’m wrong and they do sell pills!!!
-I plan on buying room filters, really nice ones. I have 4 that I’m eyeballing, I just haven’t yet because I’m going to be in the midst of camming away from home (so I’ll basically have 2+ homes), then moving, and it just would feel like too much work to lug my devices everywhere. But it may be worth it, hmmm. I’m tempted...
Oh, I’ll link the ones I was looking at once I’m on my laptop. Currently posting on mobile
-Plants. Same as above. I know there are specific ones that filter out the air quality. This I will be definitely be waiting until I actually move move, because I want my babies to have a nice, stable home and not be touched all the time (yes, I’m gonna be a good plant mama)
-Skin care. I don’t know about you guys, but when my allergies act up, my SKIN acts up as well (now that I think of it, I could have just named this thread surviving winter, lolz). I’m pretty out of luck here, because skin care is expensive, and to keep it up those expenses add up- I just have to deal with feeling like a prickly pear. I will link what I was planning on buying skincare-wise once I have the money saved up, once i get on my laptop. The products I’m confident will be good, just pricy

I know there’s probably a couple more things I can add, just not thinking of them right now. If anyone wants to contribute allergy hacks, tips, or tricks, t’is the place :)

I don't know how much you know about homeopathy, but the "active" ingredients in the Similasan eye drops are homeopathic with a dilution of 6X, which means that only 0.0001% of the ingredient remains, doing nothing helpful. Homeopathy is placebo at best, but those particular products will work to some extent, because you're physically flushing allergens out with the buffered solution. You can do that much more inexpensively by just buying eye wash solution and saline nasal spray. (The reason they don't have pills? They won't help. You're not going to stick a pill in your eyeball.)

I prefer eye wash to any kind of medicated eye drops. It stops the itching just as well, and the medicated ones dry my eyes out, so those aren't much good to me!

I can't do allergy pills because every single one I've tried (probably all of them at this point) either knocks me out, aggravates my restless leg syndrome, or both. So vacuuming frequently, dusting, remembering to replace the AC filter,
and keeping clothing and linens in storage containers as much as possible are my main solutions. And getting someone else to empty my vacuum canister...

You didn't really say if you have your new home already chosen. Carpets are the enemy.

Update us on the room filters. I've read so many conflicting opinions. I guess I need to check out the science. They never seemed worth the price to me, but something is better than nothing?

..-Skin care. I don’t know about you guys, but when my allergies act up, my SKIN acts up as well (now that I think of it, I could have just named this thread surviving winter, lolz). I’m pretty out of luck here, because skin care is expensive, and to keep it up those expenses add up- I just have to deal with feeling like a prickly pear. I will link what I was planning on buying skincare-wise once I have the money saved up, once i get on my laptop. The products I’m confident will be good, just pricy

I think that really depends on which products you are looking at. Skincare *can* be expensive, but it does not have to be! Many "high-end" products have the same active ingredients as the drug-store products. Make sure you're not spending extra on a fancy sticker!

That being said, there are plenty of high-end products that are definitely worth their salt!

What is your current skincare routine?

Reactions: fantasy707
I've had some pretty severe allergies over the years, which also turned into massive sinus infections and a whole different level of discomfort. @Lintilla had some good suggestions, to which I'd like to add on what I've found works for me.

• Get tested for your allergies. This is #1 because if you don't know what you're allergic to, you may not be doing the right thing and actually wasting money by frustration by not getting results. I always knew I was allergic to dust. But, I also found out that I'm highly allergic to mold/mildew, and mildly to oak trees and grass.
  • Remove things you're allergic to. Or, may cause sneezes from. While I'm not allergic to perfumes, cologne, scent sprays, room freshners, etc. I have found that most cause an irritation in the nose, and in some cases difficulty breathing.
  • Clean your home frequently. Dust! Not just tables and shelves. But, on top of cabinets, doors, window trim and wookwork, light fixtures, etc. At least once a month deep clean a room to where you remove everything off desk, tables, etc and clean it. Rotate each room monthly. I don't use Pledge, or other spray on polish or dust remove. Instead, I use Murphy's Oil soap. Cost efficient, and can be used on multiple surfaces as I use it for both dusting and floor cleaning.
  • Carpeting is the worst thing to have in the home. Hard floors such as hardwood, tile, laminate, etc. is the best thing since it doesn't trap dirt, lint, mold, etc. If you have hard floors, use area rugs in select places. Vaccuum frequently to keep dust and dirt to a minimum, and clean carpets annually. Vaccuum cleaners, avoid bagless vaccuums when possible. Sure, they might do well to pick up all the dirt. But, most people just walk over to the trash can in the kitchen and dump that nasty shit in there. Which, then gets back in the house due to things thrown in there, kicking up the dust. Instead, buy a bagged vaccuum cleaner. When you replace the bag, put the old one in a plastic bag (you know you've got a shitload of them from stores), and take it out to the trash can that goes to the curb. Wipe down the vaccuum after each use as well.
  • Keep your clothes clean, rotate through them as you wear clothes so dust doesn't build up. Especially things in your closet, such as hanging clothes. Also, wash your bed cover and blankets regularly as dust builds up on that which you might breath when sleeping. Or, kick up dust when putting things on it.
  • Medications: Like others, I'm not overly fond of using them. But, at times I have to. For me, staying hydrated by drinking a lot of water helps a lot. When I get dehydrated, I become very susceptable to allergens. When I have to take something, it's Zyrtec, Allegra or Benadryl. My body rapidly adjusts to medication, and they lose their effectiveness in short order. So, I have to rotate through different ones. Medicated nasal sprays aren't effective on me for some reason, so I just use a saline spray or Netti pot to rinse.

May seem like a lot. But, I've found that when I stick to them, I generally stay very healthy with minimal effects from allergies and not have to take medication except in very rare occasions. Lately, I've been extremely busy, and haven't been able to stay on top of it like I used to so my allergies are getting bothersome again.

• Helpful!
Reactions: SaffronBurke
I can’t believe after 21 years of never having them, I have to deal with it now- it’s such a shock haha.

tenor.gif

i second buying local honey if you have pollen allergies. (local as in township or county). some bee farms have allergy blends where they put hives around allergy problem plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.