AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Article about how to avoid fraud and scam in videochat!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Have you even been a victim of online fraud/scam/theft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2013
Romania
www.adultvideochat.ro
Twitter Username
@AdultVideoChatR
Hello everyone, I've just finished writing an article about how to avoid fraud and scams in video chat activity, for now it's only in Romanian language but from what I saw g00gle does a pretty well job translating it to English. I place here a link to the translation url: How to avoid fraud/scam/theft in videochat activity!

For original article in Romanian see here: Prevent fraud and scam in video chat

If someone from Romania wants to translate it for this forum, would be great!

Do you know other ways of fraud/scam/theft that may affect people involved in this activity? Any feedback or suggestions will be highly appreciated and I will update the article accordingly!

Best regards, Ionut

When I was a new MFC model I had a few fraud things happen.
I had someone buy $150 of stuff off my Amazon wishlist, for a show, then after the show they immediately returned it all. So they ripped me off. I never used Amazon wishlists after that.

On SM I have had people who come in my room and type in next to their user name JOHNDOE just TIPPED YOU 25 GOLD. It's obvious it's not a real tip though, and that they are trying to make me think it is. So I ban and report them immediately. Those are 2 pretty basic beginner fraud tricks people try on new models all of the time.

In my real life, I've noticed recently that I am getting a lot of emails and texts from people trying to phish me for info.
They send emails, and texts that look professional, saying things like; Your recent renewal of Norton Deluxe Gold is set to go through. If there are any problems with this order please call; 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX and provide us your account information, so we can re-credit you $289.99. Or stupid shit supposedly from US Cellular about an outstanding bill that will affect my credit. There's a convincing-looking Paypal one doing the rounds too, where they pretend to be Paypal closing your account, unless you call them and give them all your details "to prevent it". There's a lot of phishing going on. I never respond to these things or provide anyone online or otherwise with any personal information. Idk if it's just me, but it really feels like this stuff is on the increase the last month or so.

I've read the article. Has good info and just deleted all Sent messages :D
My experience with this particular issue is usually with emails:
- phishing email scam "you won... update your..."
- (my favorite) pay me xxx crypto to this address so I don't make your recording public when you're masturbating in front of webcam...
The second one is work related so it might be someone who knows I am active on adult website but skipped the crucial information that I'm not a webcam performer but web designer so open webcam is out of the question,

Well... my personal action is to get the headers of the email, open Thunderbird (riseup account) and send a reply from an alias which is set to vacation mode... .
For webmasters (because I do keep an eye on my websites I run) its much more simpler... usually there are bots probing for vulnerabilities , from server logs I see the 404 like wp-login.php which is not on my site, simply create a wp-login.php with a nasty file on auto download and put the page to refresh in 2 seconds... if its a human trying to bruteforce login page will have to deal with auto downloaded file, if it is a bot on a server, tough luck... (not configure correctly, the server will download the file again and again)
I know it's not exactly related to live stream area and webcam performers but who knows, maybe helps others.
And yup... my email has been pwned a few times, more recently found on a russian forum, on pastebin listed... yet didn't got serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.