AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Best hardware specs for OBS multi-stream?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luxgray

Cam Model
May 9, 2023
Twitter Username
@luxxxgray
MFC Username
luxgray
Streamate Username
luxgray
Chaturbate Username
Luxgray
Hello! I’m getting a new desktop computer and I’d like to multi-stream to 2, maybe 3 sites. My upload speed is 10-11.

What should I be looking for in terms of CPU and RAM? Do I need a graphics card? I want something solid but sub $1000 would be great

Hello! I’m getting a new desktop computer and I’d like to multi-stream to 2, maybe 3 sites. My upload speed is 10-11.

What should I be looking for in terms of CPU and RAM? Do I need a graphics card? I want something solid but sub $1000 would be great
Like at cbhours said you dont need much to be able to multi stream. (There's a bunch of ways to do it that dont consume much in terms of system resources, one is the obs rmtp splitter plugin that was linked, another would be the shinebrowser if your sites are supported (bonga,chaturbate,mfc,stripchat,camsoda,cam4 are the supported sites atm). From what I remember using obs on SM gives you a worse placement than using their web encoder (not sure if thats still the case though). Personally I like the shine browser because it integrates all the chats into a single window and switches other sites to spy mode or offline when you accept a private show.

The main limitation for multi streaming is going to be your internet confection, using shine browser can allow you to stream to more sites with your contention since you only push 1 stream to their server and they split the stream on their end. But an internet upgrade wouldn't hurt since it gives you more options (like if there's an issue with shine you can split the stream yourself and still work all your sites) and if you get into content creation faster uploads is always a good thing.

If you are making content or thinking about it, that's going to be a lot more recourse intensive than streaming so you would be looking for a laptop that can do that as the primary focus. For video editing a minimum of a ryzen 5 (a relatively new one, so like 5th or 6th series 7 if that's out) or Intel i5 (just make sure it's a relativly new i5, sites like amazon have people selling i5's from like 10 years ago at the price of a new laptop because people just see the i5 and assume an i5 is an i5), there's also low power variants that run slower, so you would be looking for a sku that ends with h or hq (I think thats the high power sku but I might be mistaken), anything that ends with "u" is a low power variant. you can check things like clock speeds and the release date of the processor on ark.intel.com (just copy and paste in the cpu name which would be something like "i5 12600h" and it brings up the data sheet. for ram you would want as much as possible, minimum 8gb, ideally 16-32gb, and a dedicated gpu if your video editing software supports hardware encoding. These are very general though, best thing to do is look at the recommended spec for the most demanding piece of software you use and then set that as a base for what you are looking for, a little higher if you want to keep it running smooth over the next couple years of major updates. Again that's for content creation, I'm kind of assuming that if you are camming then you probably want to get into videos at some point so better to get a system that can do that now rather than having to buy a whole new laptop.

A question though, what is the main reason you are looking to upgrade? knowing where your setup is under preforming can help you decide on what to prioritize when doing an upgrade or it could be that the issue isnt with your set up and an upgrade wouldn't bring the benefit you were expecting.

Like at cbhours said you dont need much to be able to multi stream. (There's a bunch of ways to do it that dont consume much in terms of system resources, one is the obs rmtp splitter plugin that was linked, another would be the shinebrowser if your sites are supported (bonga,chaturbate,mfc,stripchat,camsoda,cam4 are the supported sites atm). From what I remember using obs on SM gives you a worse placement than using their web encoder (not sure if thats still the case though). Personally I like the shine browser because it integrates all the chats into a single window and switches other sites to spy mode or offline when you accept a private show.

The main limitation for multi streaming is going to be your internet confection, using shine browser can allow you to stream to more sites with your contention since you only push 1 stream to their server and they split the stream on their end. But an internet upgrade wouldn't hurt since it gives you more options (like if there's an issue with shine you can split the stream yourself and still work all your sites) and if you get into content creation faster uploads is always a good thing.

If you are making content or thinking about it, that's going to be a lot more recourse intensive than streaming so you would be looking for a laptop that can do that as the primary focus. For video editing a minimum of a ryzen 5 (a relatively new one, so like 5th or 6th series 7 if that's out) or Intel i5 (just make sure it's a relativly new i5, sites like amazon have people selling i5's from like 10 years ago at the price of a new laptop because people just see the i5 and assume an i5 is an i5), there's also low power variants that run slower, so you would be looking for a sku that ends with h or hq (I think thats the high power sku but I might be mistaken), anything that ends with "u" is a low power variant. you can check things like clock speeds and the release date of the processor on ark.intel.com (just copy and paste in the cpu name which would be something like "i5 12600h" and it brings up the data sheet. for ram you would want as much as possible, minimum 8gb, ideally 16-32gb, and a dedicated gpu if your video editing software supports hardware encoding. These are very general though, best thing to do is look at the recommended spec for the most demanding piece of software you use and then set that as a base for what you are looking for, a little higher if you want to keep it running smooth over the next couple years of major updates. Again that's for content creation, I'm kind of assuming that if you are camming then you probably want to get into videos at some point so better to get a system that can do that now rather than having to buy a whole new laptop.

A question though, what is the main reason you are looking to upgrade? knowing where your setup is under preforming can help you decide on what to prioritize when doing an upgrade or it could be that the issue isnt with your set up and an upgrade wouldn't bring the benefit you were expecting.
Super helpful!! Honestly, I spilled kimchi juice on my laptop about a year ago. It's been working fine in general (display is a little effed up) and multi-streaming is barely working and making the fan go in overtime. Single streaming is fine though! I think it's a RAM and CPU issue 8gb and 1.1 i3. And maybe a little bit of that kimchi juice heh.

I've been dragging my feet on content creation, but it must be done...I'm using the obs rmtp splitter. Though the shine browser sounds great. Thank you for the help!!!

Super helpful!! Honestly, I spilled kimchi juice on my laptop about a year ago. It's been working fine in general (display is a little effed up) and multi-streaming is barely working and making the fan go in overtime. Single streaming is fine though! I think it's a RAM and CPU issue 8gb and 1.1 i3. And maybe a little bit of that kimchi juice heh.

I've been dragging my feet on content creation, but it must be done...I'm using the obs rmtp splitter. Though the shine browser sounds great. Thank you for the help!!!
If single streaming is working well then I'd try shine, see how that works out. If you dont already have a primary video editor, I would try out a couple, see which one you get on with best and then base the new laptop specs off that.

Personally I use Davinci Resolve, the free version is more than you would likely ever need for content, but others like adobe premiere pro and Sony Vegas (if that one is still around) usually have a free trail period so you can have a play about, get a feel for how the software works. TBH system requirements across them is going to be fairly similar, so after getting the new laptop if you decide to change the editing software it's not going to be the end of the world.

If the display is messed up from the kimchi, a local repair tech should be able to get that sorted out, it's probably just a little corrosion that needs to be cleaned off the connector. But editing on a 1.1ghz i3 isnt going to be a fun experience )

As for the fans, make sure that there's space under the laptop, for some unknown reason the air intakes on most laptops are on the bottom, so if its sitting on a hard surface or like a bed or carpet its not going to be able to pull in fresh air to keep things cool, try putting a dvd case or a book or something each side to get a bit of space under it (just make sure not to cover the intakes). Also make sure that the exhaust vent has space to blow the hot air away.

If single streaming is working well then I'd try shine, see how that works out. If you dont already have a primary video editor, I would try out a couple, see which one you get on with best and then base the new laptop specs off that.

Personally I use Davinci Resolve, the free version is more than you would likely ever need for content, but others like adobe premiere pro and Sony Vegas (if that one is still around) usually have a free trail period so you can have a play about, get a feel for how the software works. TBH system requirements across them is going to be fairly similar, so after getting the new laptop if you decide to change the editing software it's not going to be the end of the world.

If the display is messed up from the kimchi, a local repair tech should be able to get that sorted out, it's probably just a little corrosion that needs to be cleaned off the connector. But editing on a 1.1ghz i3 isnt going to be a fun experience )

As for the fans, make sure that there's space under the laptop, for some unknown reason the air intakes on most laptops are on the bottom, so if its sitting on a hard surface or like a bed or carpet its not going to be able to pull in fresh air to keep things cool, try putting a dvd case or a book or something each side to get a bit of space under it (just make sure not to cover the intakes). Also make sure that the exhaust vent has space to blow the hot air away.
Gotcha. Yeah, I had a feeling the cpu was crap. Do you think iMovie is enough for editing or do I really need something more heavy duty?

Gotcha. Yeah, I had a feeling the cpu was crap. Do you think iMovie is enough for editing or do I really need something more heavy duty?
I movie is probably fine (never used it but I'm guessing it's like windows moviemaker used to be), the majority of what you are probably going to do is just basic cuts and titles. You dont need anything heavy duty, but learning the features that more feature packed editors have opens up additional options and ideas, but you 100% can just edit in imovie and be perfectly fine.

You might also want to look into something like adobe audition which is the sound engineering suite by adobe (davinci resolve has its own built in), programs like that come in useful when you have to eq the audio, or remove background noise etc, but again not something thats really needed, just more of a nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.