AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Book talk!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of stuff in the last couple months

The Nikki Heat and Derrik Storm novels written for Castle. Actually quite good and a much cleverer idea than just novelisations of the series.

The Gotrek and Felix books from warhammer

Cherry Priest - both her steam punk and Vampire novels are awesome

Tanya Huff - the wild ways

Patricia Briggs (one of the best authors ever) Raven's Strike and Raven's Shadow

The sooky stackhouse series I "found" somewhere

Reactions: TashaDutch
I'm halfway through "Taken" by Robert Crais. Recent reads include Kate Atkinson's "Life After Life," John Sandford's "Silken Prey," David Morrell's "Murder as a Fine Art," Peter Robinson's "Watching the Dark," and James Lee Burke's "Light of the World."

I've been re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire and I'm about halfway through A Clash of Kings.

I haven't been reading as much lately because my kindle's busted at the moment and going back to physical books is more jarring than you'd think it would be.

Reactions: Red7227
I am reading my first best-seller since I was 13.. Song of Ice & Fire.. Blame my TV addiction.

Tons of non-fiction including "Capitalism with a conscience" written by the owner of Whole Foods (fellow libertarian)

I wish I could find new fiction writers that I feel excited about. Ive spent my favorites by reading all their books (Lethem, Murakami, Vonnegut, etc) and cant seem to find any other decent writers that make me want to turn the page, marvel me with their cleverness, and move me with their sentences at the same time. When I finally do, their plots have more holes in them than swiss cheese.

ASoIF is fun but the guy writes blocky paragraphs and has a heavy hand with adjectives. He is prone to overexplaining resulting in a feeling of being treated with condescendence.. A sort of "Dude, you dont have to hold my hand through this" situation. Bleh.

I just finished Room by Emma Donoghue. It's written entirely from the perspective of the 5-year-old son of a woman who was abducted, impregnated and held captive for 7 years. Room is not the best book I've ever read, but it was good enough to capture my attention to finish it in one night.

I've been busy this year. Finally got to read the entire Harry Potter & Hunger Games series. Re-read Ender's Game & a few other favourites.
Currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods & will probably tackle Anansi Boys next. Then it'll likely be the Game of Thrones books.

I am currently reading Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe. During the course of reading it, I read The Unloved because the girl I mentor was reading it. She liked the book. It seemed a little anti climatic to me. I knew the ending before it happened, which sucks.

Reactions: HiGirlsRHot
A First Course in Differential Equations with modeling applications by Dennis G. Zill
Engineering Mechanics Dynamics by R.C. Hibbeler
and
University Physics by Young and Freedman
and it really sucks I haven't had time to get back to science fiction and fantasy books, cause these are giving me migraines. :geek:

emptiedglass said:
Currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods & will probably tackle Anansi Boys next.
I love those two and I might have to re-read them after I'm done with A Song of Ice and Fire.
If you haven't read it yet, Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett is a great book that I highly recommend

Reactions: KayleePond
This is actually very similar to another thread https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... it=reading which I found by searching "reading" Topic titles only . I don't know if Amber would care enough to want to combined the two. I have posted duplicate threads myself, and sometime the search does not work so well, but the attempt should be made before starting a new thread if it is one that you think might already exist. There are more than one reason, but one is so when someone 6 months from now wants to find that book title, but forgot the thread title, doesn't go mad and pull out their hair in tufts when they search the other thread 3 times for information that is in this one. (maybe this post will provide a memory ping that will be sent after only the second search there, and they will remember, - "oh right there are two book/reading threads")

I just started "The power to harm" by "John Cornwell" It is about the 9/14/98 Standard Gravure shooting, (8 dead + the shooter, 12 wounded) and the drug Prozac, and how it might have been a factor in the shooting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Gravure_shooting

since its here, might as well....
im in the middle of fred saberhagen's books of sords saga... half way done so far. just finished the collected works of anne rice before that ( minus blood canticle from the vamp series, but including all of her erotica)

probly going to hit up raymond feist's magician series next. (just got done moving stuff around after a 2 year long remodel of the house, so i finally have access to my hardbacks again lol)

A nice model turned me onto the Erast Fandorin series of detective novels by Boris Akunin. They are set around the turn of the century in the last years of the tsars. They go a long way toward helping understand the Russia of today. If anyone cares to pick them up, you can find them second-hand on Amazon pretty easily. If anyone cares to read them, The Winter Queen is probably the best one to start with.

I'm a huge fan of Paulo Coelho (The Alchemist, The Witch of Portobello)

Also, I've been reading Dune by Frank Herbert, but the language and terminology slows me down too much.

Any sci-fi fans? If you any of you read Bradbury I'll pretty much be your best friend. ;)

Reactions: Sevrin
recently finished John Norman's Gor books, now on Glen Cook's Garret Files, second book.

CharlotteLace said:
Any sci-fi fans? If you any of you read Bradbury I'll pretty much be your best friend. ;)

Fahrenheit 451 of course!!! One of the main reasons I got into collecting books in Ebook format. Just the thought I can have a half million books hidden inside a quarter and the goverment would never be able to get rid of all the copies now makes me happy.

Attachments

• CCQ.jpg
    CCQ.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 199
CharlotteLace said:

Someone else mentioned Coelho just the other day. I'm almost through my reserve of unread books, so might have to see what the fuss is all about.

Reactions: CharlotteLace
I'm half way through 'In The Pleasure Groove - Love, Death & Duran Duran' - John Taylor's Autobiography.

Well you asked...

CharlotteLace said:

Also, I've been reading Dune by Frank Herbert, but the language and terminology slows me down too much.

I read Dune a decade or more ago. It's probably been an equally long time since I've read any Bradbury.

OpenTitsBB said:
American Gods (and, well any other book by Neil Gaiman) I highly recommend.

He's also penned a couple episodes of Doctor Who, which was what put him on my radar. I also have a collection of his short stories I picked up a while back but haven't gotten to yet. I tend to do that a lot. Read a 'new' one recently that its 5-year-old receipt tucked inside. Oops.

Surprised that no one's mentioned Chuck Palahniuk yet. I want to take those on, too... especially the ones I haven't already read.

Ender's Game, a Song of Ice and Fire, The Metamorphosis of the Prime Intellect, Kushiel's Dart, Arthur, The Tombs of Atuan, Name of the Wind, Reaper Man, Wicked, Rant, the Curse of Chalion, the Sword of Truth, the Fifth Life of the Catwoman, Elements of Style, the Legend of Huma, Howl's Moving Castle, The Hobbit, LotR, Elantris, Wild Seed, etc.

I'm currently reading Mistborn, by Sanderson. He's got clunky writing but the plots are beautiful.

Aella said:
I'm currently reading Mistborn, by Sanderson. He's got clunky writing but the plots are beautiful.
I didn't start reading Sanderson until after he took over for Robert Jordan on The Wheel of Time but he's turned out to be one of my favorite authors, I just love that the magic systems are so distinct and fleshed out in each of the different worlds he's created.

Reactions: Aella
LadyLuna said:
recently finished John Norman's Gor books, now on Glen Cook's Garret Files, second book.
Wait, you mean you read ALL of the Gor books? Not just a half dozen, then got tired of them? :shock: :eek:

Reactions: KayleePond
Status
Not open for further replies.