AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Book talk!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun. On to one that's going to take me some time to get through - World Without End (Ken Follett)

ok.... risky thing here on my part, buuuuut....

the first two parts of my fantasy novel are finished and edited. the third is well... annoying in the obstacles i have had to face while writing it, so undone. three hard drive crashes two of which made me start from scratch. the fight (finally over) for disability. too many opiates and benzodiazapenes to think straight. dont know when it will get finished.

but anyway... if any of the ACF crew would like to read the first two parts i have them in word format files. i can probably convert them to PDF too. anyway, gimme an email to send them to and read away lol.

Reactions: camstory
I want to read it SSam. Cammingworld@mail.com But you might want to think about posting it in the story thread? Give ppl a chance to read if they want with out having to do it via Email. I am working on a story that has the potential to become novel, or novella, length, though even if I get 200-300 pages down, I doubt I have the skill to hook them all together like a real book. :lol: But I hope to post the first chapter, or rather an abbreviated version of the first chapter tonight, in the story thread.

JerryBoBerry said:
A First Course in with by Dennis G. Zill
Engineering Mechanics Dynamics by R.C. Hibbeler
and modeling applications
University Physics by Young and Freedman
and it really sucks I haven't had time to get back to science fiction and fantasy books, cause these are giving me migraines. :geek:

Wouldn't Chaos theory be better for modeling applications, then Differential Equations?
Well for cam modeling applications at lest ;) :jokercolor:

camstory said:
I want to read it SSam. Cammingworld@mail.com But you might want to think about posting it in the story thread? Give ppl a chance to read if they want with out having to do it via Email. I am working on a story that has the potential to become novel, or novella, length, though even if I get 200-300 pages down, I doubt I have the skill to hook them all together like a real book. :lol: But I hope to post the first chapter, or rather an abbreviated version of the first chapter tonight, in the story thread.

well i posted one chapter of it in that thread, and it was huuuuge. the first part is around the 1k words mark or so, and the second part is twice as big, so it seems unwieeldy for a forum post, but ill send you the files as soon as i finish this post lol

I started reading a book about the Khmer Rouge gruesome period - "First they killed my father" by Loung Ung. It's a memoir of woman that experienced the regime as a child. Its really hard to read without getting a chill down your spine or start crying.

Reactions: Red7227 and Brad
Spent late winter plowing through the Sword of Truth books to keep my mind off losing my husband while finally finishing something he'd got me started on over a year ago, thus honoring him a bit. Now, it's time to re-live my adolescence and re-read Harry Potter, then complete my very scattered Ender collection.

Random stuff that's on my book shelf and has been read to death:
A bunch of cheesy Regency romance novel where the characters never bang
Bertrice Small's Skye O'Malley & Skye's Legacy stuff - smut-a-riffic!
Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Zenocide, and In the Shadow of the Giant
Fred Saberhagen's Lost Swords
Doug Adams!
The Mists of Avalon
A couple C.S. Lewis books (should complete that collection)
Big-ass book of old fairy tales in all their different versions
A bazillion knitting pattern books

Reactions: emptiedglass
SweetSaffron said:
Spent late winter plowing through the Sword of Truth books to keep my mind off losing my husband while finally finishing something he'd got me started on over a year ago, thus honoring him a bit. Now, it's time to re-live my adolescence and re-read Harry Potter, then complete my very scattered Ender collection.

Random stuff that's on my book shelf and has been read to death:
A bunch of cheesy Regency romance novel where the characters never bang
Bertrice Small's Skye O'Malley & Skye's Legacy stuff - smut-a-riffic!
Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Zenocide, and In the Shadow of the Giant
Fred Saberhagen's Lost Swords
Doug Adams!
The Mists of Avalon
A couple C.S. Lewis books (should complete that collection)
Big-ass book of old fairy tales in all their different versions
A bazillion knitting pattern books

Mwahaha... Terry Goodkind. I just finished up Pillars of Creation via Audiobook.

I'm reading Led Zeppelin: The Oral History of the World's Greatest Rock Band right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-Hist ... 0470894326

Mags checked it out of the library for me. It's good so far but as with some oral histories it is a bit hard to follow at times. Great stories and info though.

I mostly read nonfiction. I love to learn and have a few areas I like to study. WWII is one of them and next up is a copy of Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer that I picked up at our local used book store.

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Third-Reic ... +biography

JordanBlack said:
I started reading a book about the Khmer Rouge gruesome period - "First they killed my father" by Loung Ung. It's a memoir of woman that experienced the regime as a child. Its really hard to read without getting a chill down your spine or start crying.

I have to ask this because it is the first thing I thought of when I read your post. Have you ever seen the movie The Killing Fields? While I have not yet read any books on this subject, the movie gave me the same feelings you describe. Just horrible.
:(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087553/

Reactions: JordanBlack
Brad said:
JordanBlack said:

I have to ask this because it is the first thing I thought of when I read your post. Have you ever seen the movie The Killing Fields? While I have not yet read any books on this subject, the movie gave me the same feelings you describe. Just horrible.
:(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087553/

I haven't seen that movie, I'll add it to my list, thanks for the recommendation.

I just returned from Cambodia, and regardless of what they have been through, the horrors they have experienced back then and the poor conditions they are living in now, they might just be, in my opinion the friendliest and most optimistic nation I have ever seen. Since my return I have started reading a lot about Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, as I'm planning a second trip over there. They are grossly undervalued and because they have no money for advertising as their neighboring Thailand and Malaysia, few people adventure themselves across the borders.

Btw you might be interested in watching this documentary: Year Zero: The Silent Death of Cambodia.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/year-zero/

I am currently reading, "Soulcatcher", by "Southsamurai", I am only 4 chapters into it but it is very good so far, and a story I have not been so lucky to find in a while, - it has that, "I don't want to put it down, even though I'm tired", quality.

Reactions: southsamurai
I'm on the second to last book of a Song of Ice and Fire. These books have definitely taken me longer to read through than any other books I've ever read. I kind of like it as for once it's taken me longer than a week to read through a series of books, have been on these for 6 months! Definitely better than the series, but you do sometimes get stuck in a really boring chapter with a boring character and have to force yourself to read through.

Reactions: Red7227
Just finished "Two Graves" By Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. If you're in the market for some good "escapist" summer reading, I highly recommend this series about Agent Pendergast.

I'm not *reading* it yet, but I'm VERY excited about Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Gaiman is my favorite author (I even have a tattoo to commemorate him) and I'm going to a book signing at some point this summer to get my copy of the book and hear him talk about it. SO EXCITED. I keep seeing reviews of the tour and I'm reduced to tears half of the time. I'm super emotional about it hahaha.

Just found out that there's a new Neil Gaiman book called "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" and it's his first full novel that he's written both by himself and for adults since "Anansi Boys" I'll be getting it just as soon as I have something to read it on.

Also, a book I've been waiting FOREVER for is coming out soon. The second book in The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson will be out on January 21st 2014 and it's called "Words of Radiance" I know this seems like a long way away but...I am wetting myself with excitment just knowing the release date at all! If you haven't read the first book "The Way of Kings" I highly suggest it!

I read A LOT! My favorite genre by FAR is SciFi/Fantasy.

Usually I am focused and will read through a book all of the way before starting another, but sometimes I go through phases and am jumping from book to book, such as right now.

My current books are The Time Traveler's Wife, Sense and Sensibility, re-reading Heir to the Shadows (Part of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series), and various Hemingway short stories. I'm also working my way through Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with my MFC room. :)

I had the idea of re-reading all of Harry Potter again, so I'll probably start that soon, too!

JerryBoBerry said:
LadyLuna said:
recently finished John Norman's Gor books, now on Glen Cook's Garret Files, second book.
Wait, you mean you read ALL of the Gor books? Not just a half dozen, then got tired of them? :shock: :eek:

I'm with Jerry, that is super impressive! I have about 7 of them and they are not always the easiest to read. I used to be really into Gor themed slave scifi/fantasy roleplay so I felt compelled to read the source material. I still am super in to Gor but the books aren't as captivating to me as I thought. Congratulations Luna!!

I love many of the books mentioned here and am excited to hear about others reading them! Go ACF!

QueenJolene said:
I'm not *reading* it yet, but I'm VERY excited about Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Gaiman is my favorite author (I even have a tattoo to commemorate him) and I'm going to a book signing at some point this summer to get my copy of the book and hear him talk about it. SO EXCITED. I keep seeing reviews of the tour and I'm reduced to tears half of the time. I'm super emotional about it hahaha.
I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to modern authors, and am not familiar with Gaiman, (yes, but it's a nice cave), but I love your passion QJ, it's a wonderful thing, relish it.

Reactions: QueenJolene
camstory said:
QueenJolene said:
I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to modern authors, and am not familiar with Gaiman, (yes, but it's a nice cave), but I love your passion QJ, it's a wonderful thing, relish it.

if you read nothing else of his ever, check out american gods and anansi boys. theyre sort of a paired set with anansi boys being a sort of kind of sequel to american gods. his humor is top notch, stopry telling factor is high, plus hes a master of describing his characters inner landsacpe. add in a surrealist view of gods and humans in a lor of his work, but particularly these two and you have some of the finest fiction written in the last decade or so

A few of my favorite passages from the current story I am reading.

This group was formed of what appeared to be either performers or whores. I have never been much able to discern the difference between the professions. In this case they were brightly garbed in silks and perfumed strongly enough to give fear to skunks.

They looked over the fields from whence the girl had come and saw a cloud pouring over the moon and rushing towards them. This cloud moved with a roaring like a thousand screaming souls. As it came closer, the sharpest eyes among them began to see the shapes that made up this cloud. The beating of wings. Crows, ravens and vultures in a gargantuan flock. Among them, like pox marks upon the face of a leper were even darker things. Creatures never seen in field or tree in nature. Like unto birds of prey but with shadows streaming from their feathers and a glow of violet in their eyes. Death flew towards the people that night on wings of shadow and fear.

“If a tiger places feathers in it’s rectum and quacks, it does not become a duck Thomas. Must I show you the way again?”

The following chapter,

chapter 4: Quacking tiger, hidden duck

I have said that I am not known for being loquacious. Jonas is only a little more talkative than I, and our Lady had not yet given us the gift of her voice in speech. Meredith made up for our lack with fervor. From sun up, when we gathered our gear to leave, until the late afternoon when we reached the base of Wizard’s Peak, she chattered. She rambled and twittered about nothing and everything. Her hopes to be a mage. The farm where she grew up. The color of the winter sky. No number of fierce glares from me would slow her prattle. It did not help matters that Jonas laughed at her least humor.

“We seek safety and knowledge Master Greylock, not to assault your ears with racket.”
“And a good thing that is, I have a feeling the young lady there will have worn my ears into paste after a decade or two.”
With his mention and glare directed at her, Meredith paled. “Me sir?”
“No, the other girl here who speaks as though the stones listen. If you are to be my apprentice, you must be a bit more nimble minded than that.”
Meredith stammered a bit, and finding nothing more useful to say let out a simple “Yes sir” and fell silent again.

It is really quite good writing, I think. I imagine other fine published authors had some read their work before they were first published. I have always thought that unpublished works of unpublished authors were all those of amateurs. I suppose that is true by definition, but I realize now that not all, if most, unpublished works, are of amateur quality writing.

See SouthSamurai if you think it might be cool to some day say, "yea I read some of that guys stories, before he was ever published." Don't worry to mention where you read it, they wont believe you with out that info, much less with it. :lol:

Reactions: pg240 and Brad
No worries, I've already made fun of myself for reading a book I found at the Grocery store.....

I'm reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Houssini. Not my normal type of book but.....idk...there is something about his books that hook me.

I shall not be embarrassed! :naughty:

Reactions: MsAllyCat and Brad
MandyMetal said:
No worries, I've already made fun of myself for reading a book I found at the Grocery store.....

I'm reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Houssini. Not my normal type of book but.....idk...there is something about his books that hook me.

I shall not be embarrassed! :naughty:

Maybe I am wrong but my thoughts have always been that what you read it isn't as important as the fact that you are reading.
:thumbleft:

I'll choose reading an owners manual over not reading at all. I think reading is good exercise for the brain and mine needs all it can get.
:-D

southsamurai said:
camstory said:
QueenJolene said:

if you read nothing else of his ever, check out american gods and anansi boys. theyre sort of a paired set with anansi boys being a sort of kind of sequel to american gods. his humor is top notch, stopry telling factor is high, plus hes a master of describing his characters inner landsacpe. add in a surrealist view of gods and humans in a lor of his work, but particularly these two and you have some of the finest fiction written in the last decade or so

Oh yes! I would also recommend the Sandman comic book series. Those are the first works by Gaiman that I was ever introduced to, and they literally changed my life.

NerdgasmGirl said:
a book I've been waiting FOREVER for is coming out soon. The second book in The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson will be out on January 21st 2014 and it's called "Words of Radiance" I know this seems like a long way away but...I am wetting myself with excitment just knowing the release date at all! If you haven't read the first book "The Way of Kings" I highly suggest it!
I can not wait for that to come out either.

wow... just took the plunge today.i ordered up the last 3 anita blake books by laurell k, the last two of the sookie books, the last two of the odd thomas series by koontz, AND the two most recetn of the maximum ride series by patterson. holy crap am i going to have my hands full soon! and what a joy it is!

heck i even put in preorders for the ones that are son to be released of those series lol

Status
Not open for further replies.