AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Bookmarking on MFC - What's the point

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2013
Recently MFC added a bookmarking feature. If you're on mfc, on the right hand column, you can click on customize at the top. Make Bookmarks a displayed panel.

I'm wondering when this is actually useful?
Seems like MFC has delivered another UI tweek no one wanted.

The only use I can think of is
1. Members who dont understand what the Friends List is, and they think they need to pay a model to put her on your own friends list. (these people would never find the bookmarks list anyway
2. People who have PMs set to friends only, but they still want to keep track of a model without letting her PM.
3. I assume you dont get logon notifications for bookmarked models so if you want to hear the logon chime for some models but not others, that might be useful.

I haven't played around with it, so tell me if I'm missing something.

Reactions: Puffin
Not sure, but guessing you may not get newsfeeds from a bookmarked model. Of course you can always ignore newsfeeds from models on your friends list too. So I'm not sure that's a major aspect of the bookmarking though.

I guess the way I would use bookmarks is to add models on a temporary basis. Maybe I ran across them doing something interesting once and want to check them out again in the future. That would leave the friends list for models I know I like. About all I can think to use it for.

To be honest though I do like some of the tweaks they've done recently. The drag and drop is a nice improvement. And the Send PM popup box is way better now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JubalCobb
2. People who have PMs set to friends only, but they still want to keep track of a model without letting her PM.
If I recall, some time ago members were begging for a sort of favoriting/bookmarking feature for this reason. So they actually did it.

I think it makes sense if they change the friends list to be mutual, i.e. both both sides have to agree to be put on each others list. Which is how it should've been in the first place. But I agree that they really need to clean up some of the useless crap on the UI before adding new features.

I think it makes sense if they change the friends list to be mutual, i.e. both both sides have to agree to be put on each others list. Which is how it should've been in the first place. But I agree that they really need to clean up some of the useless crap on the UI before adding new features.

Both sides have to agree to be put on each others friends list? :think:
Never happen. You'd see many members follow the models lead and immediately start charging models to be put on their friends list.

Both sides have to agree to be put on each others friends list? :think:
Never happen. You'd see many members follow the models lead and immediately start charging models to be put on their friends list.

Perhaps I don't know what the friends list does exactly since I only use it to track models, but why would it benefit a model to be on a members friends list? Why would they pay for that?

This wouldn't really benefit anybody. All it would mean is less models on friends lists, which would lead to less members in model's rooms.

But the current friends list would be replaced with bookmarks, so it wouldn't change anything.

3. I assume you dont get logon notifications for bookmarked models so if you want to hear the logon chime for some models but not others, that might be useful.

wait what
Where is this option? I never have, nor have had, a login ding for anyone.

I disagree strongly with this statement.
Not only do I have friends on my friends list, but I also have people that annoy me on it.
That way I can know if they're online and I want to watch for them.

wait what
Where is this option? I never have, nor have had, a login ding for anyone.

If you want to hear a login ding... open "Personal Options" and click the relevant boxes at the top of the pane.

Attachments

• Personal Options.jpg
    Personal Options.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 28
I love finding new/better ways of doing things. You guys totally just made my day. My model friends list is extensive. *keeps all the models he wants to be notified of on his friends list and throws everyone else on bookmark and turns on the sound*

• Helpful!
Reactions: AmberCutie
I'm "Friends only" on my PM all the time anyway, so I can't see any benefit in it. :meh:
That would be precisely why this would be helpful. You want to remember to check out this cute girl again next week but don't want her on your friend list so she can PM you? Brilliant! Put her on the bookmark.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Gen and WickedTouch
That would be precisely why this would be helpful. You want to remember to check out this cute girl again next week but don't want her on your friend list so she can PM you? Brilliant! Put her on the bookmark.

Yeah, I can see how it could be used to add "new" girls... those that I have seen briefly, but not yet visited or chatted to, though I was already using the "notes" list for that , so I kinda had it covered. However, after a little tinkering last night, I see that having the panel visible allows a member to see at a glance if anyone worth a visit is on at that moment without having to dodge PM's. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes. :)

It is still vague to me what the purpose of bookmarks is at this point.

Removing friends affects PM's I take it?

I learned that if you Bookmark a model on your friends list, she automatically appears first in Row 1, ahead of all your other model friends, regardless of camscore.

I learned that if you Bookmark a model on your friends list, she automatically appears first in Row 1, ahead of all your other model friends, regardless of camscore.
That's probably a setting in your homepage preferences.

It is still vague to me what the purpose of bookmarks is at this point.

Removing friends affects PM's I take it?

Removing friends affects PMs only if you changed the default setting for who can PM you.

Personal Options -> Privacy Options
I'm not sure of the default but I think all are selected.
Friends, Models, Premiums, Basics

If you change a model from a friend to a bookmark, AND have your PMs set to friends only then they cant PM you.

This could be helpful if you want to remember a model, but dont want them PMing you for whatever reason.

I immediately saw bookmarks as the "favorites" feature I've been wanting to see for a long time, but it seems like it's only going to be really useful if they add new features around it. As others have mentioned, bookmarking a model puts them at the top of your list, which would make it seem like these models are your real favorites, which would make friends a "lower" priority categorization. But that goes against the whole "limit PMs to friends" setting, which would make it seem like friends are your real favorites.
In either case, though, I think it will be useful to have two separate categories for this (and yes, I do have a friending problem).

Reactions: AmberCutie
I immediately saw bookmarks as the "favorites" feature I've been wanting to see for a long time, but it seems like it's only going to be really useful if they add new features around it. As others have mentioned, bookmarking a model puts them at the top of your list, which would make it seem like these models are your real favorites, which would make friends a "lower" priority categorization. But that goes against the whole "limit PMs to friends" setting, which would make it seem like friends are your real favorites.
In either case, though, I think it will be useful to have two separate categories for this (and yes, I do have a friending problem).

You can re-order everything in the right panel now. Hit "customize" in the top right.

You can re-order everything in the right panel now. Hit "customize" in the top right.
I was referring to the main window list, not the right side boxes (I already moved the bookmarked models box pretty far up). If you can re-arrange the placement of bookmarked models in the main window list, that I'm definitely interested in knowing about.

I was referring to the main window list, not the right side boxes (I already moved the bookmarked models box pretty far up). If you can re-arrange the placement of bookmarked models in the main window list, that I'm definitely interested in knowing about.
So you're saying if you have both of these checked, it prioritizes the bookmarks over friends?
image.jpg
Or are you not referring to the homepage like this? When you say list, I don't know if you use the actual model list with no avatars, which I have no idea what that's like.

Reactions: Puffin
So you're saying if you have both of these checked, it prioritizes the bookmarks over friends?

I've been wondering about how it prioritizes too. So I went through all 45 combinations of having two options checked and marked down which took priority. Then counted them to see what order MFC utilizes if you have more checked (including 3 or more options). I put a few models from my friends list on the bookmarks as well as a few random models who were not on my friends list. Then checking one option and toggling all the other options on and off one at a time to see if the order changed. That made it easier to see which was the first model listed on the homepage.

So for example in this list, with friends checked it took priority over every other option. Friends were always the first in the list no matter what. Repeat for every other combination...

MFC priority order.png

After that was done I simply tallied up the number of times each took priority. So if you have two or more checked, the largest number will take priority to show as first. Then the second highest number checked would then be sub-categorized within that first option.

Friends and bookmarked checked...Friends would be first, but then bookmarked models (who are also friends) would be sorted first within the friends section. Then after all the friends are listed it would show the bookmarked models who are NOT on your friends list right after that first section.

So this is how MFC prioritizes your settings on the homepage.
Screenshot - 8_12_2015 , 11_22_24 PM.png

And no i did not include camscore, newest logged on, newest signed up, alphabetical and the like to see how those would affect it. Too many variables then and it would add up fast.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about how it prioritizes too. So I went through all 45 combinations of having two options checked and marked down which took priority.

Well now how are we supposed to speculate wildly about how things work ;)
Seriously though, major props for all that work.

P.S. When I looked at my "Model List Settings" yesterday I didn't see the bookmarked models checkbox. Like I swear it wasn't there yet o_O

The wiki is now updated

http://wiki.myfreecams.com/index.php?title=Instructions_and_Features#Bookmarks
You can add Models to your Bookmarks list.

Models that are Bookmarks will:

• Appear in a pink background on the Model List.
  • By default, appear at the top of the Model List, although you can change that in your Model List Settings.
  • Models that are Friends and Bookmarks will appear at the beginning of your Model List.
  • You may click Customize at the top of the Sidebar and make visible a panel that will show your online Bookmarks.

The bookmark feature works for Basics as well however... once I close my browser window all bookmarks are cleared. I also don't have a listing like with Friends.

I like to use it to keep an eye on a model I'd like to keep an eye on without adding them to my actual friends list. It's a handy way of putting them on the top row for a few hours.

Two things

1. I like the Bookmarked list. I have used it to develop four levels of models. Top level are Friends, those that I have spent a good amount of tokens on and have a rapport with. Bookmarked, are those that i probably spent a few tokens and have characteristics I like. Bookmarked could also be models I like but have not given tokens too yet. Bookmarks also gives me the ability to keep models that are ESL in my list. I don't keep all the gals in my general list mainly English speaking countries, Then there is the general list this is new models and regulars. The last is hidden, those with traits I find unappealing. So bookmarks gives me the ability the sort better the over 1,000 girls online at any given time.
  2. I never rarely have models pm me, maybe that is due to the fact I don't keep huge token counts in my acct, ok i am cheap :).

I never rarely have models pm me, maybe that is due to the fact I don't keep huge token counts in my acct, ok i am cheap :).

Not sure why MFC doesn't have the settings hide these things by default. But there's really no reason why any model would need to see your tokens or reward points unless you specifically want them to. It's exactly why it's bad form to ask a model how much money she makes camming. It's none of our business. The opposite is true as well, it's none of theirs how much money we have in our accounts at any given time. Hide them.

Screenshot - 3_13_2016 , 5_55_33 PM.png

Reactions: TacoBelle and Gen
Status
Not open for further replies.