AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Camming and Future Careers

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalPrincesss

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
So I have two simple questions related to camming and how it affects employment for a vanilla job.

1. How do you put camming on your resume?
I'm trying to apply to some waitress/sales associate jobs, just to be doing something other than camming and still having income while on my period and if I just want to take off from camming. I don't have much work experience other than camming (I'm only 21 and camming earns me enough to support myself so this has been my only work for about 1.5 years). But it seems weird that I'm this old, living away from parents but can't explain where I get money from.

2. How does having camming on my tax history (1099's etc) affect my future career?
Camming is only what I want to do while I'm younger and in my opinion more enjoyable than most jobs a 21 year old can get plus having flexible hours rock. By the time I'm done with my bachelors though I want to leave the scene completely and earn income using my degree. Will employers be able to see my past in camming (I've cammed for MFC, Chaturbate etc). My major is Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice. I originally wanted to do something with law enforcement but not so sure it can/will pan out that way anymore (depending on if having camming as work history will ruin it).

Thanks so much for anyone who answers! Hope I explained well enough! :)

Unless you are working for a politician or a very religious organization I cannot see how it would affect you very much.
I think the former job description would be "Entertainer" or "Model". or maybe Entrepreneur.
I doubt you will put "sex-worker". Technically you are in self employment. :wink:

Reactions: KylieJacobs
AnalPrincesss said:
So I have two simple questions related to camming and how it affects employment for a vanilla job.

I'm trying to apply to some waitress/sales associate jobs, just to be doing something other than camming and still having income while on my period and if I just want to take off from camming. I don't have much work experience other than camming (I'm only 21 and camming earns me enough to support myself so this has been my only work for about 1.5 years). But it seems weird that I'm this old, living away from parents but can't explain where I get money from.

2. How does having camming on my tax history (1099's etc) affect my future career?
Camming is only what I want to do while I'm younger and in my opinion more enjoyable than most jobs a 21 year old can get plus having flexible hours rock. By the time I'm done with my bachelors though I want to leave the scene completely and earn income using my degree. Will employers be able to see my past in camming (I've cammed for MFC, Chaturbate etc). My major is Psychology with a minor in Criminal Justice. I originally wanted to do something with law enforcement but not so sure it can/will pan out that way anymore (depending on if having camming as work history will ruin it).

If you are worried about camming affecting future career opportunities you probably should not be doing it. Or making a very good effort to hide your tracks. Sadly, our current society does not have a good view of "sex work". It is narrow minded and stupid but it can really affect available jobs later in life. Of course it all depends on how deeply any potential employer will look into your past. Most will not do thorough background checks, but law enforcement is not one of those. Most law enforcement positions do very detailed back ground checks. There are exceptions.

Check the other threads as they had some good information but in general any future plans can be affected by your current choices.

I doubt the employers really care about what you've done previously.

What they do care about is their public image and public perception - which can be hugely influenced by their employees actions.
Therefore, they may care about what you have done previously - but not because they're judgemental per se, but because we as society are.

I've put "Independent Contractor" on pretty much all my paperwork and no one has questioned it or asked for more information.

AnalPrincesss said:
An "Attention-Getter" is stressed more and more these days as part of good resume creation.

As Attention-Getters go, "Anal Princess" is a pretty good one.

Reactions: Myflowersgrow
My parents know and my boyfriend knows. I'm pretty sure my boyfriend's brother won't even think of visiting a cam site cuz he's WAY TOO SHY. For right now I consider camming as a job, maybe if I'm successful then a career but I still want to do some online stuff (like clickbank) in case I honestly get tired of camming. No I don't have to worry about what career path I'm going to do..or risk explaining why there's naked pics of me.

Just Me said:
AnalPrincesss said:

If you are worried about camming affecting future career opportunities you probably should not be doing it. Or making a very good effort to hide your tracks. Sadly, our current society does not have a good view of "sex work". It is narrow minded and stupid but it can really affect available jobs later in life. Of course it all depends on how deeply any potential employer will look into your past. Most will not do thorough background checks, but law enforcement is not one of those. Most law enforcement positions do very detailed back ground checks. There are exceptions.

Check the other threads as they had some good information but in general any future plans can be affected by your current choices.

This is very sound advice. If you're planning to work in education, nursing, medicine, or social work, and need to get professional certification, the liscensing board will do background checks that may include 1099 tax forms from your employers. Working in the Sex industry might disqualify you on grounds of "professional ethics."

As a senior model noted on another forum in a similar topic: "odds are that you will be required to sign an IRS information release as part of the professional license 'vetting' process.
This will lead to the state professional license board being made aware of 1099 records of 'adult' industry work in the applicant's background.
While this will not prevent a professional license being issued, it will probably lead to an 'unprofessional conduct' notice being placed
in your professional license file which will be immediately visible to any potential future employer attempting to verify your professional credentials."

I would think very carefully about the "opportunity costs" of camming in terms of future careers once you exit the sex industry. It won't inevitably disqualify you for everything, but it may limit your range of professional choices.

This is very sound advice. If you're planning to work in education, nursing, medicine, or social work, and need to get professional certification, the liscensing board will do background checks that may include 1099 tax forms from your employers. Working in the Sex industry might disqualify you on grounds of "professional ethics."

As a senior model noted on another forum in a similar topic: "odds are that you will be required to sign an IRS information release as part of the professional license 'vetting' process.
This will lead to the state professional license board being made aware of 1099 records of 'adult' industry work in the applicant's background.
While this will not prevent a professional license being issued, it will probably lead to an 'unprofessional conduct' notice being placed
in your professional license file which will be immediately visible to any potential future employer attempting to verify your professional credentials."

I would think very carefully about the "opportunity costs" of camming in terms of future careers once you exit the sex industry. It won't inevitably disqualify you for everything, but it may limit your range of professional choices.

OKAY. Bumping an old thread, but I feel like people would just send me to this one anyway.

At the moment, I think I want to work in a high school environment eventually. Before I decided to do this I thought a lot about people recognizing me and things like that, but I guess I did not think enough about the taxes, assuming the company would probably not call itself something obvious. I told my CPA that I was thinking about doing some independent contracting work for an online company and he said that I would need to file taxes for the job, no matter how little I made.

SO, the tax records will be there. I have worked less than 3 hours, made less than $60, but that will be on there.

My question is, am I totally screwed? How does MFC come up on the forms? Is it obvious what it is?

If it is obvious, I kind of feel like I should just get into camming because it will already be out and I don't think a company that is offended by that sort of work is going to care that I only did it for a second.

Right? I don't know. I just really need some advice! Please!

rivergirl said:

OKAY. Bumping an old thread, but I feel like people would just send me to this one anyway.

At the moment, I think I want to work in a high school environment eventually. Before I decided to do this I thought a lot about people recognizing me and things like that, but I guess I did not think enough about the taxes, assuming the company would probably not call itself something obvious. I told my CPA that I was thinking about doing some independent contracting work for an online company and he said that I would need to file taxes for the job, no matter how little I made.

SO, the tax records will be there. I have worked less than 3 hours, made less than $60, but that will be on there.

My question is, am I totally screwed? How does MFC come up on the forms? Is it obvious what it is?

If it is obvious, I kind of feel like I should just get into camming because it will already be out and I don't think a company that is offended by that sort of work is going to care that I only did it for a second.

Right? I don't know. I just really need some advice! Please!

MFC will come up as MFCXY Inc. which claims to be a site for e-commerce solutions. But, if you google MFCXY Inc all but the first result mentions MFC the camsite in relation to MFCXY Inc. So, yeah, pretty obvious.

Reactions: KylieJacobs
rivergirl said:
Thanks! Time for a lobotomy and change in majors, I guess!

MFC (and any other site) won't send 1099s if you made under $600, so you'll really only have to report it to the IRS if you intend to keep earning through camming.

AllisonWilder said:
rivergirl said:

MFC (and any other site) won't send 1099s if you made under $600, so you'll really only have to report it to the IRS if you intend to keep earning through camming.

While the chances of getting audited are not very high, it is still reportable income. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Reporting-Miscellaneous-Income
It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a Form 1099-MISC or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude from gross income.

Reactions: AllisonWilder
Just Me said:
AllisonWilder said:
rivergirl said:

While the chances of getting audited are not very high, it is still reportable income. http://www.irs.gov/uac/Reporting-Miscellaneous-Income
It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a Form 1099-MISC or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude from gross income.

Sorry, I was really tired when I wrote that. Of course you have to claim it, but since you don't have official paperwork, you can claim it as extra income and use something other than 'webcam model' for the description. Sorry if my post lead anyone to believe that you don't have to claim any of your income just because there isn't a 1099 for it.

AllisonWilder said:
Just Me said:
AllisonWilder said:
rivergirl said:

Sorry, I was really tired when I wrote that. Of course you have to claim it, but since you don't have official paperwork, you can claim it as extra income and use something other than 'webcam model' for the description. Sorry if my post lead anyone to believe that you don't have to claim any of your income just because there isn't a 1099 for it.

Ahh! Thank you for all the helpful information, but I am so confused. Sorry. If I make less than $600 it counts as extra income and if I make more it becomes something bigger?

rivergirl said:
Ahh! Thank you for all the helpful information, but I am so confused. Sorry. If I make less than $600 it counts as extra income and if I make more it becomes something bigger?
Greater than $600 and that camsite will mail you AND the irs a 1099 both. So you will have to officially fill out that 1099, with that company's name, on your tax return.

Less than $600 and they don't send a 1099 to you or the IRS. So, you still have to legally claim the money as income to avoid tax evasion. But how you claim the source of that income is now up to you and your creativity. You could say anything from bake good's sold in your neighborhood to gambling winnings. Say you started a lemonade stand even. Some ambiguous source that can't be verified is still good enough so long as you don't lie about the amount. In your case keeping it similar might be a good idea. Say computer consulting or web page development and you're golden.

As far as background checks go, I work for a large mortgage company that does background checks as part of the hiring process. Either they didn't find anything regarding camming (I've made very little from it compared to other jobs I've worked and didn't bother claiming it), or they don't care. Considering this place allows unnaturally colored hair, tattoos, and piercings, despite being a huge corporation, I wouldn't be surprised if they really didn't care, as long as I don't bad-mouth them.

Status
Not open for further replies.