AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Comics, graphic novels & manga!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen

Inactive Cam Model
Mar 23, 2013
There was an old thread about this but it was dead and got locked in the move, so I thought let's have a new one!

What are your favourite comics/graphic novels/manga?
What are you currently reading or looking forward to?
Who are your favourite characters/creators/etc?
What's on your pull list?

Basically anything about comics, graphic novels, or manga - I would love to talk about!

Okay I will start (and pray that more people will join in)!

They just released the first volume of one of my very very very favourite comics, Wytches, last week! If you haven't read it, it's super fucking creepy and the art is wicked. Apparently they're hoping to start the second arc around Halloween and I'm already excited, this was one of my most anticipated books while it was on my list. (The creators are also all in my top faves lists, it's a dream teeeeeeeeam.)
MI91E2g.jpg

Another one I'm super into is Nailbiter, there's a couple volumes out now. It's also creepy, kind of a Silence of the Lambs vibe, set in a town that's known for producing a fuckton of serial killers. It's quite gory, I don't love the art (gets a little sameface-y and I'm just not too into the way he draws people) but the story is creepy and a bit funny and quite exciting. They did a couple gimmicky issues, one with Brian Michael Bendis coming to town, and one crossover with Hack/Slash, but overall it's been pretty solidly interesting, and I am rooting for it.
(I'm struggling to find a picture that is neither spoiler-y or gory, haha.)

Anyways I very much like reading scary/creepy comics. Anyone have good ones to suggest? :vamp:

I go through phases where I'll plow through tons of comics at once, then I'll have a pretty long dry spell (usually because I don't have time to read anything that isn't academic.) My last big glut was mostly Vertigo stuff -- about a dozen volumes of the collected Fables, the entire run of The Sandman, bunches of Hellblazer, and whatever else I could get my hands on through the library. These days, when I want to read a comic, it tends to be just rereads of stuff I've read a few times already.

Now I have more time, and I should get back into reading. As a graduation gift to myself, I got the last Humble Comic Book Bundle, which was all IDW and Top Shelf books. So, now I have digital copies of a nice load of titles, including the full run of Locke & Key. I have to say, though, I had read the first collected volume of L&K some time back, and being a fan of horror comics myself, I was disappointed that it came across less as cosmic horror and more as Gothic ghost story. Not that there's anything wrong with Gothic ghost stories. I look forward to reading the whole series, and seeing how it pans out, especially since it gets so much lip service.

Anyways I very much like reading scary/creepy comics. Anyone have good ones to suggest? :vamp:

Why, yes, I do. Unfortunately, I can't currently find the list I'd written up and keep on hand for just these sorts of occasions, so I'll link to a great multi-page entry of my favorite feature on CBR: Comics Should Be Good!

A Month of the Scariest Comic Books of All Time!

Notice a lot of manga on the list. Honestly, for my money, nobody does horror better than Japanese cartoonists. That focus on mood that can be kind of tedious in other manga genres is perfect for horror. I particularly recommend Uzumaki by Junji Ito, Domu: A Child's Dream by Katsuhiro Otomo, and Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu.

I'll try to dig up my list, and sort through all my other cool comic resources and finds. This is definitely a thread that I could totally geek out on.

Thread inspired me to grab some old boxes to look through when I initially read it, always fun and has been a long time. I have phases similar to zp, sometimes I care only about the story, sometimes I like to just collect them, sometimes it's just for the art or the cover. Will post some pics of what I liked after I take a look. Remember being into what many on the internet consider pretty crappy comics when I was younger, will post some of those too. Only thing current that I'm reading is Secret Wars but only the main issues and a few side stories. That comicsexplained dude on youtube is decent to listen to when you don't want to read every back issue involved.

Reactions: Gen
It's taken me a while to respond to this thread, even though it's a subject near and dear to my heart. I haven't been reading many comics at all anymore. I've quit most of the books I used to read, but I've still been picking up the Fables trade paperbacks (which I still love to read), even though I'm 2 volumes behind. As a giant Star Wars fanatic, I've been reading the latest Marvel Star Wars title (it's only okay), I've really been enjoying the Princess Leia book, as well as "Kanan: The Last Padawan (which ties into the animated Rebels TV series). I do have to add that Dark Horse was putting out quality Star Wars comics for 20 years (much better than what Marvel's been producing), but because Marvel has the marketing push of Disney as well as a brand name, people jumped all over the new stuff. OH! I've also enjoyed "Grayson" too!

I have gone back to read Marvel's Annihilation storylines which I've been super into. I guess, ever since the DC reboot I've been going back and reading older stories that I missed, instead of moving forward with most of the newer stuff (Like, I've gone back to re-read Gotham Central).

As far as characters, there is one that I have always loved, and that's "The Flash". I will buy that book no matter how good/bad the creators are. I just love the character, though the Wally West version is still my favorite since I grew up with him. I'm pretty happy to see The Flash getting the attention the character deserves now that the TV show is a hit.
Other characters I like: Iron Man, Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner mostly), Robin/Nightwing, Batman, Catwoman, Gambit, Colossus.

Favorite creators usually change with me, but at the moment I've been loving Jeff Lemire's writing. His Green Arrow run was amazing, especially paired with Andrea Sorrentino's art (I might need to check out their "Old Man Logan" book). I've always loved Walt Simonson's art, as well as the late Mike Weiringo.

I'm SURE I'll have a follow up post, I'm sure I've forgotten something!

I've found myself moving away from reading comics since I've dipped my feet into the industry. I need to get back into it, I've just been distracted drawing the characters instead of enjoying them like I used to.

Punk I want to come over and read all your books! And thank you Zippy :h: I have never read any manga, I know I'm missing out and my local library has a fuckton of it so I'll have to delve in.

And Hapa, I love Jeff Lemire so much! He is my fellow Canadian :nerd: Have you seen his current book Descender, with Dustin Nguyen? It's so great! I love Dustin Nguyen's watercolours and the story is quite cute, although very sci fi which normally isn't my jam.

Last week I got "We Stand on Guard" by Brian K Vaughn and Steve Skroce, I don't remember ordering it so I'm not sure if my shop dudes just stuck it in my box (phrasing) or if I ordered it and forgot, but it was really good! I was mostly just stoked to see Canada but it seems pretty good so far. Badass Canadian freedom fighters :emo:

Some of the stuff announced at the Image Expo last week sounds pretty good! I will be checking out Heartless, Expired, The One% and Black Magick for sure.

I had Comic Con tickets for this weekend and couldn't go so I am taking the ticket refund money to the shop and treating myself to whatever looks good :clap:

And Hapa, I love Jeff Lemire so much! He is my fellow Canadian :nerd: Have you seen his current book Descender, with Dustin Nguyen? It's so great! I love Dustin Nguyen's watercolours and the story is quite cute, although very sci fi which normally isn't my jam.

Last week I got "We Stand on Guard" by Brian K Vaughn and Steve Skroce, I don't remember ordering it so I'm not sure if my shop dudes just stuck it in my box (phrasing) or if I ordered it and forgot, but it was really good! I was mostly just stoked to see Canada but it seems pretty good so far. Badass Canadian freedom fighters :emo:

Some of the stuff announced at the Image Expo last week sounds pretty good! I will be checking out Heartless, Expired, The One% and Black Magick for sure.

I NEED to check out Descender now! I LOVE Dustin Nguyen's art!!! (I still want to get the Li'l Gotham action figures they made based on his designs)

And Steve Skroce! I haven't seen his stuff in a while. I LOVED his "Gambit" run in the late 90s (I think)

I had Comic Con tickets for this weekend and couldn't go so I am taking the ticket refund money to the shop and treating myself to whatever looks good :clap:

I was able to get a pro badge, but sadly had to scrap any plans of going after I had to have my appendix out :(

Hello! Resurrecting this thread to share that Injection #1 is free today: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/injection-1

Only today (Aug 14) so you gotta hustle but I've heard great things!

Also this week I picked up "The Beauty": https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/the-beauty-1
I just grabbed it because the premise sounded cool (there is an STD going around that makes you beautiful, basically, and people try to catch it - but maybe that was a bad idea!), and really liked it! Adding it to my list.

Also @hapa74 that's so cool you had a pro badge! And I hope you're feeling better :D

Reactions: hapa74
I just recently read Princess Knight by Osamu Tezuka(creator of Astro Boy) and loved it. I highly recommend it to anyone that is gender fluid/neutral/has any "alternative" feelings about gender. It's about a prince that is (oh my) actually a girl! The story follows the prince as they struggle to understand who they really are.

It's also really dang cute.

Reactions: BobbZero and Gen
Picked up the new collected Super Mutant Magic Academy at the library. So, so good--reminds me of reading Calvin and Hobbes, except there are more lesbians.

tumblr_mcroztE5jq1qf56dmo1_1280.jpg

Reactions: Pluot and Gen
Picked up the new collected Super Mutant Magic Academy at the library. So, so good--reminds me of reading Calvin and Hobbes, except there are more lesbians.

tumblr_mcroztE5jq1qf56dmo1_1280.jpg

I need that suit.

For current manga that I'm reading and paying attention to there's Sekirei, Kiwaguro no Brynhildr, Saki, and Minamoto-kun Monogatari. I've actually been really enjoying the High School DxD light novel. It can be frustrating waiting for translations but it's much better than the anime and manga.

Lately I've been really into Saga, Rat Queens & Lock & Key are probably the ones I most recently read & are waiting for the next installment on. I really enjoyed reading the runaways as well. Truth be told I have like two closets filled with long boxes that are filled to the max with comics. I just wish there was more hours in the day to read them.

Reactions: BobbZero and Gen
I'm a HUGE Mignola fan! So BPRD, Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder etc.
DarkHorse generally publishes a lot of stuff more to my interests. I'm not so much into the Marvel/DC universe but I do have a soft spot for Batman and Spiderman :shame: Love Image comics too!

I like the "Young Bond" series as well, which surprised me because I'm not really a fan of the movies.
I'm looking forward to getting a copy of Wytches (Scott Snyder & Jock) which a good regular of mine is sending me a copy of! I can't wait!!!

For manga, Jojo's Bizarre adventures... Man I can't stop :hilarious:

I'm still keeping up to date on the Bleach manga. Entirely because
I've been waiting for Grimmjow to come back and now he finally has, so I have to keep reading in case he gets a scene.

I am still reading Invader Zim, and the payoff in the second issue is great.

The giant "Hellboy Archive" editions of Hellboy.
Transmetropolitan, because Warren Ellis is brilliant, and this is my fave (well, apart from his novel Crooked Little Vein, and not just for the Godzilla bukkake or the saline-testicle injections)
Stray Bullets
Love and Rockets (always Maggie and Hopey)
Wytches
Phonogram! (not quite sure about Wicked & Divine yet but need to read them in a block, rather than monthly)
Outcast - Kirkman does his own take on Hellblazer and it's great

Reactions: Gen and JaimeOfArc
Is anyone else reading "Lazarus" or "Saga" on Comixology? I love that app, though when I'm focused on it sometimes I miss my stop on the metro.

YES! I am in love with Saga. It's so great. Fiona Staples art is so lovely. I only started reading Lazarus a few months ago but I adore Greg Rucka, it was one of those books where I randomly grabbed the first issue and immediately had to get more. I'm still a bit behind as I've just picked up the first couple volumes but unf, so good. I gotta catch up!

Also @AutumnAtoms I just read the entirety of Locke & Key recently, oh man - I really, really liked it but did not expect to cry as much as I did at the ending. I tried to keep the tears in but it turned into full level sobbing, lol. (I rarely cry during movies or TV shows but comics make me cry so much. Have cried many times through Saga. Pretty sure my most tear-stained book is Flashpoint, though.)

And a book we might all want to pick up from Image in November...Material #6, "Contemplating the unique value of a personal massager." :D

T8XzorH.jpg

Reactions: BettyDemure
IT'S BATMAN DAY!!!!!!!!!

Which is exciting for many reasons but mostly because Comixology has some ~classic Bat books~ on super sale. Also some new ones!
But it's only until 11pm EST which is in.....like five hours? So go forth and get some Bats in your life. Seriously they're all $4 including some of my favourites like Hush, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween (which is so great), The Court of Owls (very good and also they will be on the tv show Gotham this season). I will be grabbing Batman Eternal which I hear is great.

There's also new Batfam books like Batgirl, Grayson, and Harley Quinn!

May I also strongly suggest Gotham Academy! I have been sending it to all my friends who are into Harry Potter. It's not my normal style at all but it's so great. Lots of references to Gotham lore as well.

So that is your cheap comics alert for the day :D

I also just discovered the website InStockTrades which appears to be hella cheap, I saw someone's order on Reddit and the books looked perfectly fine so I'm going to take advantage of these cheap books and bulk up my TPB collection a little bit :D

Reactions: MrRodry
@GenXoxo hahaha I am the same way. Some of my friends think I'm tad bit heartless because I rarely ever cry over tv or movies but little do they know hand me a comic book & I will start sobbing like a child. Saga is probably my most tear filled book. At one point my boyfriend threaten to cut me off from them unless I learned how to keep the books out of the tear zone.

I love both, to be honest! I really love the process of getting a single issue once a month and the excitement of picking it up and being like "oh man finally!!!!". And I like getting to know the characters and how in depth they can get with ongoing series. But there are so many amazing graphic novels that I adore too, and I like being able to read the whole story in one sitting. I guess my preference is comic books though!

Usually I will buy the single issues and for my favourites, I'll also buy the trade paperbacks when those come out. There are a few books I torrent then buy paperbacks for, those are usually the ones that I get into too late to bother with buying singles, lol. I don't buy as many graphic novels though.

Do you guys prefer digital or print? I love print but I like the variety you can get digitally.

• Helpful!
Reactions: KylieJacobs
I love both, to be honest! I really love the process of getting a single issue once a month and the excitement of picking it up and being like "oh man finally!!!!". And I like getting to know the characters and how in depth they can get with ongoing series. But there are so many amazing graphic novels that I adore too, and I like being able to read the whole story in one sitting. I guess my preference is comic books though!

Usually I will buy the single issues and for my favourites, I'll also buy the trade paperbacks when those come out. There are a few books I torrent then buy paperbacks for, those are usually the ones that I get into too late to bother with buying singles, lol. I don't buy as many graphic novels though.

Do you guys prefer digital or print? I love print but I like the variety you can get digitally.

Thanks! You're a huge help! The reason that I asked is Mr J has been working on a story for several years, and he's been going back and forth between wanting to do it as a comic book or a graphic novel. He loves comic books, so he would prefer to do it that way, but wasn't sure about the market for them now days since a lot of comic book shops have problems staying in business.

His story is very original and he has millions of ideas, so I know the books have a lot potential if he can get them noticed.... and finished. ;)

Ahh @KylieJacobs that's so awesome! The one nice thing now is that you can publish pretty easily online. A friend of mine published on Comixology which he said was easy to do and they help promote your comic a bit, you get 50% of the sale price I believe. Either way that's very cool and I hope he gets it done!

Reactions: KylieJacobs
This will be my Manga Edition!

What are your favourite comics/graphic novels/manga?

I have a lot of favorites but one that really comes to mind is Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles by CLAMP. Years ago I picked it up in the book store and was entranced by the style, story, and favorite characters coming back to life.

What are you currently reading or looking forward to?
I am Reading One Punch Man! It's freaking hilarious. Seriously, try it out.

Who are your favourite characters/creators/etc?

CLAMP has to be my set of creators. They are so unique and talented. They also listen to their fans and don't queerbate like some creators. (coughcoughKishimoto)

My favorite character would Yona from Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona). Her character development to this annoying sheltered girl into one of the biggest badasses has been great to watch. It didn't just happen over night and there are instances where you still see the princess in her, however she did overcome a lot and has been dealing with horrible things. I'm rooting for her no matter what!

What's on your pull list?
Que?

Ahh @KylieJacobs that's so awesome! The one nice thing now is that you can publish pretty easily online. A friend of mine published on Comixology which he said was easy to do and they help promote your comic a bit, you get 50% of the sale price I believe. Either way that's very cool and I hope he gets it done!

Awesome, thank you! I didn't know that they had websites that you could submit comics to like that. It's kind of like C4S for comics. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.