AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Computer Needs

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SerenaMoon_

Cam Model
Aug 7, 2017
Hey everyone! I'm new, I've been heavily stalking these threads for weeks. I'm signed up at Streamates (after being scared away from MFC by the *don't do this if you're brand new* advice in here) until I get some experience under my belt.
Currently, I only have a desktop computer. I don't have much money to buy a super nice laptop, I found a cheap HP laptop on Craigslist, it has Windows 10, it was new in 2015. Anywho, I'm not that technologically savvy, but I was wondering if it would be sufficient for camming, I have a logitech webcam I can plug into it, as well as a wireless mouse. I really can't broadcast from my office where the desktop is.
TIA!

I am not sure about laptops. I've had my laptop since December of 2014 and while it's held up, it hasn't exactly held up well. I haven't dropped it until a month ago, but early on the battery and charger port got fucked just by... existing, I guess. I don't know about buying used laptops either just because of how they age. Would you be able to buy a warranty on it? :D Sorry if this is not a lot of help, I hope you figure it out! :h:

You should always be careful buying equipment on craigslist since you don't always know WHY the person is getting rid of it or if it was theirs to sell you in the first place. Also the OS and manufacture isn't enough information to know if it's a good computer.

1. Is the processor AMD or INTEL
2. How many cores does the processor have? (you should be looking for at least 4 cores or more at this point)
3. Does it come with a dedicated video card or using the chipset graphics (Nvidia, ATI vs Intel graphic) model numbers are also very important
4. How much ram. At this point in time anything you get should START with no less than 8gb RAM inside it don't buy anything that is 4GB.
5. What type of USB. You want USB 3.0 at this point on something you buy.
6. Does it support Dual Band (5G) or A/C wifi protocol. This is the difference of the laptop operating at 54mb/s vs 600mb/s wirelessly.

If you're short on money I'd rather suggest you look at a refurb models from a more legitimate source (Someplace that would at least offer insurance or a money back policy).

Reactions: SaffronBurke
It has a photo of the computer on, and the system info. So I know it at least turns on :droid:
The specs it gives are:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @2.16GHz
Memory is 2.00GB
64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor.

I don't know what any of that means :dead: I figure all I need is to be able to use a web browser, I have great internet service and a nice webcam.

It has a photo of the computer on, and the system info. So I know it at least turns on :droid:
The specs it gives are:
Memory is 2.00GB

I don't know what any of that means :dead: I figure all I need is to be able to use a web browser, I have great internet service and a nice webcam.

Do not buy that.

The specs it gives are:
Memory is 2.00GB

That processor is weak for streamate. You're going to want something a little beefier for streamate, probably something closer to the 2.3-2.5 range if you can get it, and definitely at least an i5 intel. You'll also need more memory. At least 4 gb. Streamate is hardware intensive so try to get the most bang for your buck. Try browsing newegg instead of Craigslist. They often have sales where you can get pretty decent intro laptops that will do what you need and won't have the surprise factors Craigslist stuff does.

Get verified and look at the streamate section.

A very cheap and good alternative is that you can probably find a rolling cart and stick your desktop on it. Or if you can't use the one you have, you could buy another desktop for camming. You can almost always get more computer for your buck with a desktop over a laptop.

For ages I had a desktop on a little rolling kitchen cart. I bought a little lazy susan (like the spinning thing you put in your cupboard to hold spices and stuff) and sat my monitor on top of it. I could easily move the whole computer setup around, and the spinning monitor made it even easier to point the cam where I wanted. I used zip ties to make sure a power strip stayed in place on the cart. Add a long extension cord and ethernet cable, and my desktop could roll pretty much anywhere in the house. I think the entire set up probably cost less than $75 (computer and monitor not included). It was macgyver as fuck, but it was very effective when I was only working SM and maybe one other site.

What are the specs on your current system? It would be cheaper to go the route that @Ms_Gingersnatch said with a cart if you will be mobile. Or, just put it in the room you will cam in, and spend money on a Logitech c920 camera and up the memory to the mx you can with the system.

It will allow you to start camming, not a lot of investment and give you some mobility with the Logitech camera (not sure if can add a 6' usb extension to it).

But, do not buy the laptop you listed...

If you want a good laptop at a decent price, I've had great luck with the Dell outlet store. While you're looking, you can narrow your search for the specifications you want, which is super helpful. Their twitter page posts up coupons all the time, and they run pretty good sales fairly often. I've bought two laptops from them this year (one for camming, one for gaming). One was from scratch and sent (I can't find any damage on it), one was refurbished, and I am ecstatic with both!

A very cheap and good alternative is that you can probably find a rolling cart and stick your desktop on it. Or if you can't use the one you have, you could buy another desktop for camming. You can almost always get more computer for your buck with a desktop over a laptop.

For ages I had a desktop on a little rolling kitchen cart. I bought a little lazy susan (like the spinning thing you put in your cupboard to hold spices and stuff) and sat my monitor on top of it. I could easily move the whole computer setup around, and the spinning monitor made it even easier to point the cam where I wanted. I used zip ties to make sure a power strip stayed in place on the cart. Add a long extension cord and ethernet cable, and my desktop could roll pretty much anywhere in the house. I think the entire set up probably cost less than $75 (computer and monitor not included). It was macgyver as fuck, but it was very effective when I was only working SM and maybe one other site.

This is the best advice here if you are on a budget. Also consider a tripod with a longer USB cable (up to 5 meters or 15 meters for an active USB cable), but you will have to figure put what you will do for a monitor.... another long cable, a tablet...

For camming graphics cards are not going to help...

Get as much RAM as possible with the fastest processor I5 or I7. It is my understanding that Streamate placing is in part determined by the quality of your stream, so the better your equipment the better your potential placement.

I do something like this. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on a cart with a second monitor with a long cable, and a tripod behind it. I used to have a wheeley desk but I found it got in the way of my lighting, and I had to have a second monitor on the floor for floor shows anyway. Now I just move the monitor/keyboard/mouse to the floor and move the camera to a second mini tripod.

It's kinda a pain, but it works pretty well and would be a lot simple if I did shows from my chair and used a webcam instead of a DSLR. ^_^

You guys are geniuses. Thank you so much. My office is actually a very short hallway from my bedroom. If I could find a super long monitor cable, I already have a second monitor I can use. All I would need was a long cable, a wireless keyboard, and a mouse to use my desktop

Last question. If I get a wireless keyboard and mouse, a 30-foot DVI to HDMI cable (hdmi goes into the tower and dvi into the monitor) to connect my monitor, a wireless webcam, and a mic with some USB extensions, can anyone think of any reason that I shouldn't be able to stream from that monitor using the tower in the next room over?

Just make sure that your bluetooth keyboard and mouse work over that distance. Even the best wireless keyboard and mouse will be at their limit at 30 feet. Also think about how you will get sound.

Good luck.

I hate to say this, but a wireless webcam is discouraged. We're trying to get our stream to the site as quickly and reliably as possible, and any time the stream is traveling wirelessly, you risk significant lag, poor quality, and/or disconnections. I know USB extenders exist, although I don't know whether they come in the length you would need. If not, I don't know if there are any bad effects from daisy-chaining multiple USB extension cords together - I'm sure someone here is more knowledgeable than me on this topic (also, my entire house is a fire hazard because I daisy-chain power cords, so I'm not a great example to follow, lol!).

My suggestions for your plan would be:
  • I think you should get the wireless mouse and keyboard first and test if the signal will make it from your bedroom to the office. If the mouse or keyboard doesn't work, there's no point in hunting down all these specialty cables. Even if this plan doesn't work, a cam model can always benefit from a wireless keyboard and mouse, so having them isn't a waste of time or money.
  • Always make sure your cords are as secure as possible. Perhaps get a power stapler and (carefully!) fix them to the baseboard. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to catch your foot on a loose cord, even if you know it's there and it's very visible.
  • Keep batteries accessible in your cam space. It's a terrible feeling when you really need to click something, your mouse battery just died, and you realize that the batteries are in the junk drawer on the other side of the house.

I would go with the cart option for now, with a power strip and then all you have to run is a power cord and an ehternet cable (I've never been a fan of wireless for desktop PC's due to high metal content. It might suck for the time being as it's a bit of work between office and bedroom. But, it's lowest cost option for now amd wireless keyboard/mouse options are always good.

I literally took twine and the measured how many feet I would need lol. I need 25 feet. SO, I ended up ordering a wireless keyboard and mouse that have a 10 meter range (32 ft), I got a logitech webcam (not wireless as per your advice!) with 2 usb extensions (10 feet each) and I got a 30 foot cord for the monitor. It was all around $150 on Amazon. I'm gonna try it out, worst case I have to return it. Wish me luck!

I think the item of biggest concern would probably be the USB "chain." If the wireless mouse, keyboard, and monitor work ok, but the cam is giving you problems, just reverse the setup:

In your bedroom, you would have: the computer, a monitor with a short cord, your webcam on a short cord (or only one extension), keyboard, mouse.
In your office, you would have: monitor on the long cord, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse.

This arrangement would also work if you find that you want to shut the bedroom door while you cam, but shutting the door cuts off the connection between the wireless keyboard/mouse and the computer in the office.

One last consideration is to remember that if you have your computer connected to two monitors, keyboards and mice, anyone that's in the office can potentially see what's on your monitor and can manipulate the computer. That might be useful, or could go badly. If you live with anyone else, you probably need to set up a system to figure out how to avoid any undesirable outcomes.

I live by myself :) But that is also a really great idea if the daisy chain doesn't work. I'll let you know! Thanks for all your help.

I literally took twine and the measured how many feet I would need lol. I need 25 feet. SO, I ended up ordering a wireless keyboard and mouse that have a 10 meter range (32 ft), I got a logitech webcam (not wireless as per your advice!) with 2 usb extensions (10 feet each) and I got a 30 foot cord for the monitor. It was all around $150 on Amazon. I'm gonna try it out, worst case I have to return it. Wish me luck!

You might be beyond your max range on the USB cables. From what I can find, max length is 5 meters (16ft) for a standard cable. If you use and active cable, it can go out further.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

Given that you want to maintain performance of the cam, you might need to keep it to just one extension cable beyond the length it comes with. But, definitely worth a try.

Another option, is to buy a tiny PC such as one of these. I have a couple sitting in a drawer now, and they worked pretty good for what I needed. But, I've never cammed from them. Only pc work. If you can find one with a decent enough amount of ram, and good specs, might be worth a try if you wanted to have a completely separate computer for camming.

Status
Not open for further replies.