AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Copyright?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2012
I'm a new model and a lot of the guys were telling me that I should place a copyright text over my video.

I use the webcam that is on my MacBook, and I have to use the web broadcaster. Is there a way I can add a copyright?

I'm pretty sure I can't add text onto my feed through the web broadcaster- but I figured I would ask just in the off chance that I can.

Findrskeepers said:
I'm a new model and a lot of the guys were telling me that I should place a copyright text over my video.

I use the webcam that is on my MacBook, and I have to use the web broadcaster. Is there a way I can add a copyright?

I'm pretty sure I can't add text onto my feed through the web broadcaster- but I figured I would ask just in the off chance that I can.

I'm sure a model will help, but I wanted to offer what I know. Manycam seems to be what lots of models use, I don't know if it's Mac compatible.

Oh please, don't do that.
That is the most annoying thing next to a bad quality camera.

and it does no good, people will still record & post your shows. Putting annoying text on your cam is not going to stop any of them.

Paulie Walnuts said:

and it does no good, people will still record & post your shows. Putting annoying text on your cam is not going to stop any of them.

... A small, out of the way, not scrolling watermark is no issue for me...

I wouldn't discourage a model from doing anything she can to protect herself in the slightest. Ever. Maybe offer an answer to her question or mention a preference.

Again, small, not in the way, not scrolling watermarks are never an issue for me. Don't make it RED BOLD AND SCROLLING ACROSS YOUR PAGE IN ALL CAPS, but I have never understand the actual discouraging of using a perfectly acceptable watermark.

It would be good to put the site name and your model name on it. That way, even if you are recorded, you can get some traffic back to you, or in the best case the video will be removed from wherever it is hosted.

Reactions: GoddessAiren
jamesrobert said:
Paulie Walnuts said:

... A small, out of the way, not scrolling watermark is no issue for me...

I wouldn't discourage a model from doing anything she can to protect herself in the slightest. Ever. Maybe offer an answer to her question or mention a preference.

Again, small, not in the way, not scrolling watermarks are never an issue for me. Don't make it RED BOLD AND SCROLLING ACROSS YOUR PAGE IN ALL CAPS, but I have never understand the actual discouraging of using a perfectly acceptable watermark.

It would be good to put the site name and your model name on it. That way, even if you are recorded, you can get some traffic back to you, or in the best case the video will be removed from wherever it is hosted.

I agree that scrolling text sucks. This is one of the things that will make me leave a new models as soon as I enter. I view stationary text as a necessary evil though.

Reactions: jamesrobert
generally the idea with doing this isn't to 'copyright' it its to provide some comfort in knowing that no one can filch your feed without it linking back to you someway.

Use manycam software..its a free download (i'm not sure about the mac thing?)

Keep it small, and in one corner.

Hope this helps? my 2c

The guys that messaged me referred to it as "copyrighting" my video for my protection.. I wasn't sure what I should do in that case.

I would honestly just like the video to be credited back to me, if it did get posted anywhere else.

I really don't want to post anything annoying, just something small in the corner of my video.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will see if Manycam will work for me. :)

Your video is already copyrighted, by MyFreeCams. Adding additional banners to your video feed claiming "copyrights" for yourself gives you no additional legal rights whatsoever. So do all of us a favor and don't even bother.

It's already under the copyrights of MyFreeCams, as stated by your contract. To falsely proclaim that you have copyrights to your video-feed would be deleterious to yourself, as it could land you into trouble with the administrators, if not legal-trouble.

Just put a small, semi opaque logo with your name and the website. If it's not obtrusive, then it's good. See other threads such as 'Ban Banners on Camera' for more details.

I find it funny that most of the guys responding are saying not to do it. Plus they are saying that it is already copyrighted by MFC, per the model contract. So you have read every word of the model contract? You know the actual legal laws for every state that a model broadcasts from? You know what the admins will do? I call BS on all of that.

Now to the young lady who made the original post:

A small watermark (manycams may work on a Mac, you will have to check) is perfectly okay to put on your own feeds from your computer. Once they are on the internet the law gets strange, but the watermark will link back to you. Also if you do find it on another site, the watermark gives you grounds to say "Look I made that and I don't want it on your site" Can you legally claim a copyright, I don't know, but most sites will remove the content if you ask them and it is watermarked.

The bottom line is, if you want to watermark your feeds, then do so, but don't do it because any of us tell you to. Do it because you feel better about doing it.

Reactions: jamesrobert
hornygods said:
schlmoe said:
Your video is already copyrighted, by MyFreeCams.
It's already under the copyrights of MyFreeCams

Is there an echo in here?

I realise I've reiterated what was said. It acts as confirmation, so what's wrong?

FYI: I somehow managed to hit the 'thank' button instead of the quote button by mistake.

I found it a little humorous that 2 posts in a row said the same thing, especially that they were made over 6 hours apart. It might be said that my post would fall under the category of "gentle ribbing". I do regret leaving off the requisite "lol" to alert the forum members that it was an attempt at humor.

<<ALERT>>Joke attempt to follow<<ALERT>>

I have mentally removed one "thanks" from my total.

<<ALERT>>end of Joke attempt<<ALERT>>

Reactions: SoTxBob
To the original poster and others.

Here is a good link for information on what you can do:
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/dmca ... .html#dmca

The watermark will help if you wish to file a complaint with the website, then you can also file with the host.

Link to find website and host info:
http://www.whois.net/

Not much else can be done unless you hire an attorney. Added a link for this as well that may help...unsure if it's US only or not?
http://www.legalzoom.com/legal-copyrigh ... rview.html

Try the posting boards/forums who are allowing the links posted 1st....they may wipe hands clean as they are not hosting the vids. Go to the file host site next, it may be a good time with the megaupload case pending and a lot of file hosts are really taking a dmca claim serious.

All I can say is like the others have, do what you feel puts your mind at ease...watermark or not.

~worm~

DukeCityGent said:
I find it funny that most of the guys responding are saying not to do it. Plus they are saying that it is already copyrighted by MFC, per the model contract. So you have read every word of the model contract? You know the actual legal laws for every state that a model broadcasts from? You know what the admins will do? I call BS on all of that.

The guys are posting it because us models have said it so many times on the forum in the public areas.

In our contract, it tells us that MFC claims the rights to our stream, and that us recording our stream is copyright infringement. There is nothing against us using a separate webcam to record our own shows while camming, but that would require two webcams, and also doesn't apply to guys hijacking the stuff.

I've never watermarked. I encourage my members, if they ever find a video of me that is soft-core, to please leave it up and link my room. I also encourage them to let me know about it either way, by giving free flashes to guys who do. But then, I like to flash. :p

Jessi said:
If you find a recording of yourself,
email the direct download link to modeladmin and they will file the complaint for you. Its always worked for me.

This. My understanding is that MFC holds all copyrights to the feeds, video and images from MFC. It is up to the copyright holder to pursue recourse for copyright infringements and if they do not they risk losing said copyright.

A small watermark with your name might be unobtrusive, but I can not think of a single model that I am a regular in their room that does this. Maybe I would find it annoying. I am not sure. I do know I have left rooms that have big watermarks or scrolling text.

Actually most sites will remove videos if you email them nicely and ask.

You don't need to make a DMCA claim.

A simple "The model in the video requests it to be removed" generally works.

A few additional points:
  • The act of publishing itself establishes copyright. A copyright declaration is icing on the cake.
  • There are no copyright police. You need to protect your copyright yourself (though, as noted, models don't have copyright as its been assigned to MFC). Others have have made the point that MFC will try to police their copyright through their legal department.
  • The only practical use of watermarking that I can see is to aid in establishing the source of the video, so it could be worthwhile.
  • All of the above is useless if the country hosting the file is not a signatory to the Berne Convention.

grinn said:
There are no copyright police.

Buddy, what fuckin world are you living in. Haven't you heard of Kim Dotcom? Haven't you ever heard of the United States FBI and DHS? No matter where in the world you live, they can find a way to make you accountable for United States copyright law.

Then again, good luck getting the FBI or DHS to police YOUR copyright.

No, the correct phrase would be, "there are no copyright police, unless you're a copyright holder with lots and lots of money like the RIAA and MPAA".

I'm a photographer and material being copyrighted is nothing new to me. When i look at a models profile i will tell them that with their disclaimer (if they have one) they should put the words ALL RIGHTS RESERVED when they mention any material that has to deal with pictures and videos. I know for some this seemed to help out in the disclaimer then the model has written a DMCA notice and a link to their profile.

Question about manycam. I just installed it and made pretty transparent test just for advertising if my vids get recorded and it shows fine in manycam software but if I open my Logitech or MFC software to broadcast it doesn't show up. What could I be missing?

Watermarks are a great idea IF done creatively and unobtrusively - the last thing you want is to worsen the experience of your paying customers just to inconvenience some assholes who are going to record you anyway.

It's nothing to do with copyright. Stating you have copyright doesn't make it a fact, and failing to state copyright doesn't mean something isn't copyrighted.

As others have said - the idea of putting a watermark is simply this: people WILL record you, and they will post you. If you can be identified by your model name and/or site then it's a form of viral marketing. If there's no watermark you're just some anonymous hottie.

See Jessi and LoonaVision for examples of what I think are effective and unobtrusive watermarks.

LexieBlair said:
Question about manycam. I just installed it and made pretty transparent test just for advertising if my vids get recorded and it shows fine in manycam software but if I open my Logitech or MFC software to broadcast it doesn't show up. What could I be missing?
To use Manycam, be sure that you are selecting the Manycam Video source instead of trying to access the cam directly. The idea behind Manycam is that it accesses the cam, makes its modifications, then streams that as a virtual webcam. Said virtual webcam also does not get locked by software so it is a way to have your stream going multiple places at once.

As for the "copyright" issue, I personally believe having your model name and the name of the site you're broadcasting from somewhere on the feed where it does not obstruct the beautiful view is a good idea. The point, in my opinion, isn't to be massive eyesore that detracts from your camera but simply a little information. That way if someone tries to pass off your feed as their own or captures a show and uploads it to a site anyone who sees it will know how to find you. :)

There was a thread about banners on camera feeds. Some of them were honestly pretty good. Putting a logo of some sort on picture sets or videos you sell is a great idea too. I personally always thought the logo on Amber's pic sets got the point across but was easy to ignore if you focused on the subject of the picture. ;)

Legally speaking the Copyright, Trademark, or All Rights Reserved stuff simply don't REALLY apply to the models' feeds. It's a nice idea that your feed belongs to you but only an idea.

Reactions: LexieBlair
Mirra said:
LexieBlair said:
To use Manycam, be sure that you are selecting the Manycam Video source instead of trying to access the cam directly. The idea behind Manycam is that it accesses the cam, makes its modifications, then streams that as a virtual webcam. Said virtual webcam also does not get locked by software so it is a way to have your stream going multiple places at once.

As for the "copyright" issue, I personally believe having your model name and the name of the site you're broadcasting from somewhere on the feed where it does not obstruct the beautiful view is a good idea. The point, in my opinion, isn't to be massive eyesore that detracts from your camera but simply a little information. That way if someone tries to pass off your feed as their own or captures a show and uploads it to a site anyone who sees it will know how to find you. :)

There was a thread about banners on camera feeds. Some of them were honestly pretty good. Putting a logo of some sort on picture sets or videos you sell is a great idea too. I personally always thought the logo on Amber's pic sets got the point across but was easy to ignore if you focused on the subject of the picture. ;)

Legally speaking the Copyright, Trademark, or All Rights Reserved stuff simply don't REALLY apply to the models' feeds. It's a nice idea that your feed belongs to you but only an idea.

Yea I just wanted a small watermark just to make sure that if my vids get recorded and posted elsewhere people know where it came from, sort of a free advertising kinda thing..lol :thumbleft:

ManyCam will work on a Mac. I have it on mine. Camtwist will also work. I aslo have it on mine.

Now, as to the actual copyright, yes, MFC owns the copyright to the streams broadcast on it. So something unobtrusive but still visible that says something like MODELNAME@MyFreeCams.com should be enough to let MFC deal with any DMCA claims for videos of you in the future. And remember, MFC has to handle those claims if the videos are of your stream, not you.

Now, while MFC owns the copyright on your streams, they do not own the copyright on any videos you might make to sell, even if you sell them for tokens on MFC, so long as they are made from a different source than your MFC stream (IE being offline, separate camera, etc.). You do. In those cases, if recording with a HD webcam or something of the like, change the watermark to just your modelname.

As someone else pointed out, though, there is no copyright police out there-- unless you have gobs of money like the MPAA and RIAA and can convince the federal government to sic law enforcement on people for you. However, according to copyright law, it is the copyright holders job to protect their copyright, not the government's. Ironically, I watched a video from a film maker when SOPA was pushing through, and the film maker was obviously ignorant of copyright laws; as she plainly stated that the government didn't do enough to protect her copyright and that it was up to her and her studio to do everything, and she felt that was wrong.

For the videos and pictures you maintain copyright of (basically anything not broadcast on your stream at whatever site you are working), it is up to you to protect your work. It will be up to you to send out DMCA notices to tube/download sites if you find videos you own the copyright to on them. It will also be up to you to hire a lawyer if said tube/download sites refuse to take down your copyrighted work, so that you may start the legal process against them. And, that's not going to be cheap, or quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.