AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Countdowns (the MFC countdown feature thread)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Countdowns

AmberCutie said:
Ambers Troll said:
So the new countdown feature is in operation on MFC....working well enough, so long as you set a topic such as "On completed countdown [yada yada yada] ".
One little point of interest, without topic updates anyone scanning a favoured models progress (say via menu screens), will have no idea how the topic is going. This may work against or for a model, depending on who is scanning their progress.

Will be interesting to see how using this countdown feature without regular topic updates will impact on a room (positive or negative). I suspect it will restrict drifting either from or to a room.
There is an @ function to automatically update the topic. I'm guessing there's a help wiki or something that'll let girls know how to use it.
Good to hear, I did notice some models using topic updates, this will be a big time saver, allow more focus on camming. Without this it would be useless to those who want the topic updated too.

Using this feature without topic updates was what took my interest though.
It creates some odd impressions as a member looking for a model, or checking on one of his favourites. For members who do pop in visits, those with a few tokens they want to spend near the end of a countdown, those helping a favourite, those with another but waiting for a second topic in another room, they will be blind. On the positive side, freeloaders wont be able to pre-judge the end of a countdown.
I have already seen it used where it could be confused with a show too, i.e Naked; Pussy Play. Might created some unnecessary drama, or make the model seem deceptive if only previewed. It might also get some extra views for a model doing it this way.

Will be fascinating to see where it leads as models experiment with this feature.

ComicOzzie said:
I saw the auto-countdown being used in a model's room tonight. It was quite helpful, especially with yellow walls.
Am playing devils advocate here, but isn't part of the fun of a yellow wall, making the model/ room try to count the tips :D
Will the yellow wall become extinct now? :?
edit: Could make them red ninja walls :)

Reactions: SoTxBob

Something else that occured seeing the countdown feature in action...could you use it as some kind of room tip meter, say in a show. Run it at some number, and if it drops to zero, value add for the room?

Ambers Troll said:
ComicOzzie said:
I saw the auto-countdown being used in a model's room tonight. It was quite helpful, especially with yellow walls.
Am playing devils advocate here, but isn't part of the fun of a yellow wall, making the model/ room try to count the tips :D
I REALLY hate to break it to you guys but models have a total token counter already and I would guess most models base there countdowns off of a total so they do not have to actually manually add up each tip.

Ambers Troll said:
ComicOzzie said:

That might be part of the fun for members but I bet a good chunk of models HATE when they're expected to do the math to figure out the full yellow wall from the countdown.

Yellow walls are cool when it's just to make a model laugh and smile and say thank you over and over again (good times for this are between countdowns or immediately before or after a show). But when you do one in the middle of a countdown and they're all different numbers it generally just triggers a bunch of
5O2Z6KS.gif
and it sours a models fun mood and instead makes her flustered and embarrassed as the yellow wall turns into a math monkey wall. So while you think this ruins the fun, it actually probably takes a lot of stress off your favorite model. :)

Already been in three different models room's where they have made it highest tipper gets to be the helper.
I have a feeling I am just going to end up putting SO many models on hide/ignore status instead of dealing with that nonsense.

Ambers Troll said:
I wouldn't mind seeing less "yellow walls". (edit to add: strictly aiming this at the guys who do it purposely to flood the chat and/or confuse models and their countdowns. I appreciate guys trying to get tips flowing with showers of small tip amounts.)

Red ninja walls would be great! They don't count toward the topic or clog up the chatroom for the other members!

JoleneBrody said:
I REALLY hate to break it to you guys but models have a total token counter already and I would guess most models base there countdowns off of a total so they do not have to actually manually add up each tip.
you love bursting their bubbles dont you? lol.
not to get too deep, but doesn't the incoming session total reset if the girl needs to shut down and refresh the browser or software from a freeze up or whatever? While I know the over all totals are still there and cumulative, I've been told by more than a few that the short goal totals are lost.
And from what I've seen, the vast majority of yellow walls are indeed "for smiles" and guys do it for fun. Yes, there are always the friggin OCD bean counters, but by majority the girls I know estimate the walls and don't count too closely. i really don't care if my tips are counted one direction or another and will usually join in walls with purely odd and random numbers just for the fun of it. They all seem to enjoy it....

it a countdown is finished with an excess, it doesn't say what was the excess (for the models that like to include that for the next countdown; it has to be manually calculated)

Models have enough problems with begging members already doing this. They surely don't need it auto-posted in the chat room.

Example:
Joe_Schmo_Big_Spender (no relation) tips 1000 or 5000 or whatever amount.
Random_N00B pipes up "YOU OWE US A SHOW NOW!!!

Seen it happen too many times to count.

*Note: even though I quoted weirdbr, he doesn't seem to be that Random_N00B type ;)

schlmoe said:
Seen it happen too many times to count.

*Note: even though I quoted weirdbr, he doesn't seem to be that Random_N00B type ;)

:) Yeah, even if you didn't add the disclaimer I wouldn't mind - I frequently over-analyse things and several years of experience in online forums with very opinionated people (both as a member and admin) has given me very thick (online) skin :p

My post was pretty much a dump of ideas/suggestions coming from just one room I was in without a lot of time to think of side-effects - I need my time thinking during the work/home commute for that long analysis of side-effects .. And from my work experience, I know that in an early design phase it's useful to just throw ideas around first and after that is done, then try to find the problems with each idea, which is exactly what we're doing here. The public aspect of the excess count for example is one thing was missed that indeed would be good to either hide by default or don't show at all (thanks to the freeloaders/freemiums)

weirdbr said:
My post was pretty much a dump of ideas/suggestions coming from just one room I was in without a lot of time to think of side-effects - I need my time thinking during the work/home commute for that long analysis of side-effects .. And from my work experience, I know that in an early design phase it's useful to just throw ideas around first and after that is done, then try to find the problems with each idea, which is exactly what we're doing here. The public aspect of the excess count for example is one thing was missed that indeed would be good to either hide by default or don't show at all (thanks to the freeloaders/freemiums)

oh is that it, cause it comes across as people who spent 2 minutes looking at a new feature from the outside and this crapping all over it because it doesn't handle every possible situation.

The alternative is a member doing the counting (and only sometimes doing it) and the model updating the topic each time.

People act like this and helper are gonna ruin mfc.
I think its fun to have a new toy.

Swarles123 said:
oh is that it, cause it comes across as people who spent 2 minutes looking at a new feature from the outside and this crapping all over it because it doesn't handle every possible situation.

And you know what your post comes across as? Unnecessarily rude.

No, this wasn't people looking at this for two minutes from the outside - those ideas came from a very long discussion in the room I was in; the ideas came from members and from the model as well.

And I don't think those new features will ruin anything as they are completely optional; hell, even considering how unpolished the features are right now, I still welcome them as a signal that MFC is finally listening to years of requests from the models.

I think they need to make a feature to carry the countdown across model login sessions, since I've already twice seen the countdown canceled by a network glitch that kicked the model for a couple of seconds. The first time nobody noticed for a while, and then she decided not to have a countdown after all (even though by then it would have been complete)...

Swarles123 said:
weirdbr said:

The alternative is a member doing the counting (and only sometimes doing it) and the model updating the topic each time.

People act like this and helper are gonna ruin mfc.
I think its fun to have a new toy.

Wow. :roll:

It was my room he was in. Let me address the issues that he brought up.

- no topic update as you mentioned
From the models' side, it doesn't tell you that every time someone tips there is a notification in the room that tells people where the count is at. After watching other models use it I saw it from the members' side and it's fine.
- (according to the model) requires more clicks than updating the topic did
- no option to enable/disable ninja tips being included in the countdown (it defaults to not counting ninja tips)

I was using @remain, but it's not hands remotely hands free unless you don't count ninja tips. I personally have always counted ninja tips (as do many other models), so I have to manually update it every time I get a ninja tip, so it's basically the same as updating it in my topic. Also if I ever need to refresh then I need to set it up again, only needed to copy and paste before. If you've never counted ninja tips before then it doesn't matter, but I don't see why it can't be an option.
- it a countdown is finished with an excess, it doesn't say what was the excess (for the models that like to include that for the next countdown; it has to be manually calculated)
Yeah, I never intended for this to be publicly available info for all the already stated reasons, but it would be nice for the models to know.
- no description of what the countdown is for on the updates on chat (let's be honest - not a lot of people read topics)
I'm sure this will be implemented. :)
- potential feature request: allow the model to add all countdowns (and descriptions) she has planned for the night ahead of time (or during the show); this way she doesn't have to worry about updating them , which could help with countdowns during shower shows and such. This could also interact with the excess tip I mentioned above by subtracting from the next countdown (but should be an option configurable by the model)
I don't think I would use this one, to be honest. I play it by ear on cam, so I couldn't set up all my countdowns at the start. It would be useful during messy shows, but just having an auto-counter like this is enough for messy shows, for me.

Also, every once in a while the box that models click to change the countdown goes blank and you can't click on it. I'm on Chrome. Once someone tips it goes back to normal (or maybe with time?). I reported it since this is an actual glitch, the other things are just suggestions.

I'm glad it exists, but hopefully it gets more updates.

rexcode said:
I think they need to make a feature to carry the countdown across model login sessions, since I've already twice seen the countdown canceled by a network glitch that kicked the model for a couple of seconds. The first time nobody noticed for a while, and then she decided not to have a countdown after all (even though by then it would have been complete)...
It actually does exactly that! I had to do a full browser refresh last night and it told me where I left off and gave me the option to restart it with the same topic! IT WAS GLORIOUS!

JoleneBrody said:
rexcode said:
It actually does exactly that! I had to do a full browser refresh last night and it told me where I left off and gave me the option to restart it with the same topic! IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Oh good! I saw this problem when they first went live with it... I guess they fixed it fast or it was just something that wasn't working right at first.

rexcode said:
JoleneBrody said:
rexcode said:

Oh good! I saw this problem when they first went live with it... I guess they fixed it fast or it was just something that wasn't working right at first.
The instructions pop up but I would imagine it's pretty easy to miss things if you don't know what your looking for yet.

Reactions: KayleePond

JoleneBrody said:
rexcode said:
JoleneBrody said:
rexcode said:

The instructions pop up but I would imagine it's pretty easy to miss things if you don't know what your looking for yet.

I got kicked off by a glitch a couple of times today and I had to reset my countdown. Luckily I had been paying attention but it totally cleared it for me. I also had some problems with using @remain, sometimes it would stay in my topic and automatically update like it should but other times I would be left with the digit in my topic and had to update manually. I'm just chalking it up to new feature bugs though!

Ambers Troll said:
ComicOzzie said:

Having a model spend 10 minutes trying to count a yellow wall isn't my idea of entertainment. :twocents-02cents:

Biggest issues that I am seeing with the countdown feature from a members perspective is multiple topics giving different countdowns, missing topics (especially in pop ups), lack of information on where a topic is at with regard to countdown, and slowing down member search for the model they want to enjoy (you must visit each room).

When it works well it definitely frees up a model to focus on their members, I suspect when the wiki is released, and a few small adjustments made, there will be less confusion then it will become a popular feature for members and models alike.

What I really enjoyed about the countdown feature is that you can do your next countdown during a show, will create a much better flow to the experience, and so many more options to enjoy our favourites. Think of oil after cumshow, dance/ tease after a show, second cum show (squirtshow), reveal after a BA show, dance/tease to poledance, the options are endless. All those times members go pvt/group to extend a show can now be made public by the model.

Reactions: JimsX

ComicOzzie said:
Having a model spend 10 minutes trying to count a yellow wall isn't my idea of entertainment. :twocents-02cents:

Peter Griffin voice: Well then weee are on twooo different wave lengths.

Depends on the model though. Gotta be a friend. Otherwise it's dickish.

JimsX said:
ComicOzzie said:

Peter Griffin voice: Well then weee are on twooo different wave lengths.

Depends on the model though. Gotta be a friend. Otherwise it's dickish.

I had this talk with my room tonight. Even when she's your friend, it's still dickish.

Yellow walls became fun again now that the automatic countdown is a thing. :)

I quite like/liked yellow walls, I always based my countdown off my my total token count, so it wasn't too complicated. and if I would get disconnected or something I would just adjust my goal to a round number, and I'd be good to go. a few tokens lost is not the end of the world since you can always just add a few to the next one or something. (or whenever you reach a round number, reset your token count and count from zero again)

now, I've tried the automatic countdown yesterday and I found it very handy, I still need to get it out of my system that you don't have to adjust the topic, so I said "oh, I don't have to do that" about a hundred times last night. :)
The only thing that I found unhandy is that when you adjust the countdown or start a new one you have to "update" (save) your topic as well. because otherwise it's not showing and it will remain "0 tokens till...." took me a little while to spot that.

Also, before (and this is a minor, tiny thing) when you were typing your topic, you could just click on other things "mute guests" and type in chat, while still working on the topic, now if you click on something else the topic's gone unless you save it. but I guess that's just something to get used to.

I love how as a model you get bright yellow letters saying 'COUNTDOWN COMPLETED' and I think it would be cool if it could be equally impressive for the members.

SexyStephXS said:
[...]
Ironically, some of the fun is lost since the countdown updates also automatically break yellow walls. :lol: (At least on the members' side. I'm told the model doesn't see these messages.)

Actually, from the testing we were doing, it seems like the first update is very quick -- it always showed up after the first tip. However, if you were *really* fast, you could then get in a good number of tips before the next update message broke the wall. I saw someone manage an unbroken streak of 18 tips but only because he stopped.

Reactions: Gen

bsurs said:
SexyStephXS said:
[...]
Ironically, some of the fun is lost since the countdown updates also automatically break yellow walls. :lol: (At least on the members' side. I'm told the model doesn't see these messages.)

Actually, from the testing we were doing, it seems like the first update is very quick -- it always showed up after the first tip. However, if you were *really* fast, you could then get in a good number of tips before the next update message broke the wall. I saw someone manage an unbroken streak of 18 tips but only because he stopped.
They designed it not to be too spammy when there were a ton of tips coming in at a time. Thank goodness. :)

That's also why the topic doesn't auto update IN the chatroom or in the model's window.

OK, now that I have seen this in action in many rooms, I am a fan. SO much easier when a model is dancing or doing a show. Still on the fence about helpers, but now I am wondering why MFC didn't do the countdown thing long ago. :p

Reactions: Gen

I has no input from the model end of things but as a member, I like it. It makes things feel more official somehow. Before, I suspect for many members it was kinda like (and for many, I guess it still is) "right, model does show once she's finished updating that number in her topic. Fine, I'll wait" whereas now it's more like "right, whenever someone tips, that number automatically goes down, and when it reaches zero, it's pussy tiiiiime. If I tip, it'll go down even quicker!". Even though nothing's really changed, and it's ultimately all illusory, it just somehow feels more legitimate (that's probably not the right word to use as it implies things weren't on the up and up before when I'm sure they were but it's as if it's MFC, the multi-million dollar company, letting members know when the show starts and how to make it start quicker now, and not a random boob lady on the internet who the member might be meeting for the first time... even though it's still random boob lady pulling the strings. It just feels different, ya know?)

The wiki has been updated again there is quite a lot of news stuff
http://wiki.myfreecams.com/wiki/Countdowns

A countdown is a way for a model to automatically track how many tokens she has been tipped by her chat room.

What Counts for a CountdownBy default, only Tips shown to the chat room count toward the countdown, even anonymous tips.

Tips that are hidden from the chat room, and only shown to the model, do not count toward the countdown.

Topic VariablesWhen a countdown is active, the model can use certain variables in her topic to make her topic update dynamically.

@total : The number of tokens total for this countdown.
@sofar : The number of tokens earned so far in this countdown.
@remain : The number of tokens left in the countdown.
For example, if the model sets her topic as "@total countdown, @sofar earned, @remain left until show!", then it could show up as: "1000 countdown, 200 earned, 800 left until the show!"

/countdownUsage: /countdown [total] [remaining (optional)]
Usage: /c [total] [remaining (optional)]
Example: /c 1000 : This would start a new countdown from 1000 tokens.
Example: /c 1000 200 : This would start a countdown from 1000 tokens that only had 200 tokens remaining to finish (800 tokens already earned).
Usage: /c [+/-adjustment]
Example: /c +100 : This adds 100 tokens to the countdown, so if countdown was at 1000 before, now it will be at 1100.
Example: /c -100 : This removes 100 tokens from the countdown, as if someone just tipped you 100 tokens.
Usage: /c none : Removes any active countdown.
Usage: /c resume : Resumes a countdown that was interrupted due to a short term disconnection.

/helperUsage: /rh [username]
Usage: /helper [username]
Example: /rh Bob123 : This would set member Bob123 as your Room Helper.
Usage: /rh show : Tells the model the current room helper.
Usage: /rh none : Removes any active room helper.
There can only be one Room Helper at a time, and making someone new a Room Helper will automatically remove it from the previous user.

Room Helpers automatically reset when you log off. They are intentionally temporary.

Room Helpers are able to set your Room Topic, Ban Users from your room, and Mute Guests/Basics. See the Room Helper page for more info.

I think it is going to take some time to work out any bugs but overall it seems like the new features are helpful. I get the members fighting over who is going to be the helper but I also thought it was hidden so that wouldn't happen unless the model advertised it.

I like the fact that when my hands are otherwise occupied there is a counter and a helper who can ban spammers or dickheads who are being boner killers/porn directors. We alll know as soon as a show starts in come all the trolls and it takes away from the mood/flow if the model has to stop and ban someone. Very annoying when I am in the shower have to dry my hands and ban someone or cum shows, oil shows, striptease anytime where it would kill the mood for me to have to stop and ban someone.

:twocents-02cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.