AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Countdowns (the MFC countdown feature thread)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kradek

V.I.P. AmberLander
Feb 3, 2012
Twitter Username
@kradekmfc
MFC Username
Kradek
This might only be interesting to me :) And it may be common knowledge to models, but for discussion's sake I thought I would start a thread.

A while back someone noted that the MFC wiki had changed to include something along the lines of countdowns coming soon. @SexySteffMFC posted a tweet last night about a message appearing, "Updated tip countdown to 0 tokens." This spurred me to jump into the code and it does indeed look like MFC is finally implementing a countdown capability (I'll post the code currently in their client code below for the truly masochistic).

I just have a couple questions that maybe someone here can answer. First, this is code in the public facing website; is this intended for use by members? I expect there is some code sharing across the member side and MWB so it may just be included by default but I'm curious. Second, I know there was some beta testing on the MWB recently; do any models know if this is supposed to be live soon? If so, I can shutter MFCCountdown. MFC broke it this week changing the way they are sending messages to the client anyway and it will save me some time.

Code:
        var Countdown = {
            hPreviousCountdownData: {}
        };
        Countdown.Receive = function(hCountdown) {
            if (hCountdown.model != g_nBroadcasterId) {
                return;
            }
            var nChange = 0;
            if (hCountdown.countdown != Countdown.hPreviousCountdownData.countdown) nChange = hCountdown.countdown ? 1 : -1;
            Log('Countdown ' + JSON.stringify(hCountdown));
            var sMsg;
            var sChatStyle;
            if (hCountdown.total) {
                if (nChange != 0 || hCountdown.src != 'notify') {
                    sChatStyle = 'system';
                    if (typeof(hCountdown.total) == 'number' && typeof(hCountdown.sofar) == 'number') {
                        if (nChange == 0) {
                            if (hCountdown.sofar == 0) sMsg = "* Updated tip countdown to " + hCountdown.total + " tokens!";
                            else sMsg = "* Updated tip countdown to " + hCountdown.total + " tokens! (" + hCountdown.sofar + " of " + hCountdown.total + " total)";
                        } else if (nChange == -1) {
                            if (hCountdown.sofar < hCountdown.total) sMsg = "* Tip countdown ended with " + (hCountdown.total - hCountdown.sofar) + " tokens still remaining.";
                            else sMsg = "* Tip countdown completed, no remaining tokens!";
                        } else if (nChange == 1) {
                            if (hCountdown.sofar == 0) sMsg = "* Tip countdown started for " + hCountdown.total + " tokens!";
                            else sMsg = "* Tip countdown started for " + hCountdown.total + " tokens! (" + hCountdown.sofar + " of " + hCountdown.total + " total)";
                        }
                    }
                } else if (nChange == 0 && hCountdown.src == 'notify') {
                    sChatStyle = 'countdown';
                    if (typeof(hCountdown.total) == 'number' && typeof(hCountdown.sofar) == 'number') sMsg = "* " + (hCountdown.total - hCountdown.sofar) + " tokens remain in the countdown!";
                }
            }
            if (sMsg) ChatQueue.Format_Append(sMsg, 0, {
                chat_style: sChatStyle
            });
            if (hCountdown.topic) {
                t.g_hUsers[g_nBroadcasterId].topic = hCountdown.topic;
                RoomTopic.set_topic(t.g_hUsers[g_nBroadcasterId].topic.replace(/<[^>]*>/g, ''));
            }
            Countdown.hPreviousCountdownData = hCountdown;
        };

Re: Countdowns

I was testing it on the model web the other night. Not sure how soon they're launching it, but I am helping them again this afternoon. They're working out the kinks.

It's coming. :D

AmberCutie said:
I was testing it on the model web the other night. Not sure how soon they're launching it, but I am helping them again this afternoon. They're working out the kinks.

Is it intended for both member and model use? Just curious why it's coming down on the main site.

Reactions: AlexEmpire

AmberCutie said:

I would love to hear what you thought about it! (If you are allowed to discuss it)

Kradek said:
AmberCutie said:

Is it intended for both member and model use? Just curious why it's coming down on the main site.
I think I know why this may be, but I don't want to just toss information out there willynilly.
KudosKids said:
Is this going to force models to have countdowns?
Why in the world would you even think that?

Shaun__ said:
AmberCutie does the model pick which tips are counted? I have seen you say before you only counted publicly visible tips I think.
It will only automatically count tips that are visible to the room (just like my Cootie board has all this time), but models can update the amount remaining in their countdown anytime, so if someone accidentally tips ninja, or she wants to count a ninja tip, she can adjust the count to include it without starting anything over. Or of course, opposite of that, if someone tips visibly, but doesn't want it to count, she can add back those tokens to the remaining amount.

There are also commands to use to automatically update the topic when the countdown changes. It's pretty neato.

Oh boy!!!!! My Orgasmathon shows are about to get so much fucking cooler!

AmberCutie said:
Kradek said:
AmberCutie said:

I think I know why this may be, but I don't want to just toss information out there willynilly.
KudosKids said:
Is this going to force models to have countdowns?
Why in the world would you even think that?

You know I'm not sure! it could've been because I was confused on what this new countdown thing was about. Maybe that could be why I asked. -___-.

Reactions: AlexEmpire

AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:
AmberCutie does the model pick which tips are counted? I have seen you say before you only counted publicly visible tips I think.
It will only automatically count tips that are visible to the room (just like my Cootie board has all this time), but models can update the amount remaining in their countdown anytime, so if someone accidentally tips ninja, or she wants to count a ninja tip, she can adjust the count to include it without starting anything over. Or of course, opposite of that, if someone tips visibly, but doesn't want it to count, she can add back those tokens to the remaining amount.

There are also commands to use to automatically update the topic when the countdown changes. It's pretty neato.

I've noticed bots in two rooms (MissMolly and TeaCakes420) that automatically handled countdowns and would send chat messages in the rooms after tips for updates, but didn't update the model topic. They had very similar functionality to what you've described in this thread.

Were these models beta-testing the new countdown functionality in the wild? Or did someone create a bot/tool as a model assistant?

Guest12345 said:
I've noticed bots in two rooms (MissMolly and TeaCakes420) that automatically handled countdowns and would send chat messages in the rooms after tips for updates, but didn't update the model topic. They had very similar functionality to what you've described in this thread.

Were these models beta-testing the new countdown functionality in the wild? Or did someone create a bot/tool as a model assistant?

I would expect if mfc were providing a countdown it would update the topic. Hopefully either as a variable so the model can put it anywhere in the topic, or failing that, that it would prepend or append to what the model puts. Lots of models have a topic with the countdown and video sales for example.

I'd expect that the two you mentioned are someone running Kradeck's MFC Assistant (I'll let you do your own search on the forum for that).

Guest12345 said:
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

Are you sure they were bots and not just helpful members? I have had lots of members help me keep up with countdowns and post text in chat for me while my hands are...otherwise occupied. :mrgreen: I also know some models have members who run scripts on their end to keep up with countdowns but I don't think I've met any models yet who run their own countdown programs.

LilyEvans said:
Are you sure they were bots and not just helpful members? I have had lots of members help me keep up with countdowns and post text in chat for me while my hands are...otherwise occupied. :mrgreen: I also know some models have members who run scripts on their end to keep up with countdowns but I don't think I've met any models yet who run their own countdown programs.

At least in MissMolly's case from what I have seen it was a member that runs Kradeck's code to help her (and a few other models, as I have seen him around). It's easy to confirm since the reply to tips is consistent (always the same message, only changing the name of the tipper, with no mistakes in spacing between the message and member name), plus the fact that once or twice I saw her starting the countdown by typing in public something like '!cdstart value description' . And he did once say he was going to leave but would keep his account around to keep the countdown running for her.

Reactions: LilyEvans

Guest12345 said:
AmberCutie said:
Shaun__ said:

That wasn't the beta counter , no.

Reactions: Guest12345

weirdbr said:
LilyEvans said:

At least in MissMolly's case from what I have seen it was a member that runs Kradeck's code to help her (and a few other models, as I have seen him around). It's easy to confirm since the reply to tips is consistent (always the same message, only changing the name of the tipper, with no mistakes in spacing between the message and member name), plus the fact that once or twice I saw her starting the countdown by typing in public something like '!cdstart value description' . And he did once say he was going to leave but would keep his account around to keep the countdown running for her.

Just wanted to set the record straight. I dont use Kradeck's code. I use my own script.

ReySmith said:
Just wanted to set the record straight. I dont use Kradeck's code. I use my own script.

My bad; I mis-identified based just on the code snippets on this post - I personally haven't poked around Kradeck's code as I hate javascript/userscripts with a passion (I hate dynamic languages..).

So the new countdown feature is in operation on MFC....working well enough, so long as you set a topic such as "On completed countdown [yada yada yada] ".
One little point of interest, without topic updates anyone scanning a favoured models progress (say via menu screens), will have no idea how the topic is going. This may work against or for a model, depending on who is scanning their progress.

Will be interesting to see how using this countdown feature without regular topic updates will impact on a room (positive or negative). I suspect it will restrict drifting either from or to a room.

Ambers Troll said:
So the new countdown feature is in operation on MFC....working well enough, so long as you set a topic such as "On completed countdown [yada yada yada] ".
One little point of interest, without topic updates anyone scanning a favoured models progress (say via menu screens), will have no idea how the topic is going. This may work against or for a model, depending on who is scanning their progress.

Will be interesting to see how using this countdown feature without regular topic updates will impact on a room (positive or negative). I suspect it will restrict drifting either from or to a room.

Indeed..

And in less than 30 minutes in the room I am in, we already found multiple issues/improvements:
- no topic update as you mentioned
- (according to the model) requires more clicks than updating the topic did
- no option to enable/disable ninja tips being included in the countdown (it defaults to not counting ninja tips)
- it a countdown is finished with an excess, it doesn't say what was the excess (for the models that like to include that for the next countdown; it has to be manually calculated)
- no description of what the countdown is for on the updates on chat (let's be honest - not a lot of people read topics)
- potential feature request: allow the model to add all countdowns (and descriptions) she has planned for the night ahead of time (or during the show); this way she doesn't have to worry about updating them , which could help with countdowns during shower shows and such. This could also interact with the excess tip I mentioned above by subtracting from the next countdown (but should be an option configurable by the model)

In any case, it's cool that they are finally adding features that have been requested for a long while.

Ambers Troll said:

There is an @ function to automatically update the topic. I'm guessing there's a help wiki or something that'll let girls know how to use it.

weirdbr said:
And in less than 30 minutes in the room I am in, we already found multiple issues/improvements:
- no topic update as you mentioned
A model can put "@remain" in her topic text. Example: "@remain til shower show!" and it would read as "999 remain til shower show" and the 999 would update with every tip that comes in automatically.
Not at all, lol. Once girls know how to use the @remain for the topic, it allows us to be virtually hands-off during the whole countdown.
- no option to enable/disable ninja tips being included in the countdown (it defaults to not counting ninja tips)
What I have heard is that they may be adding more options and features once they get this rolled out without any kinks. However, girls can manually add tokens received in a ninja tip to the total if they choose (they can edit the remaining at any time.) I also believe it's a nice feature to NOT show ninja tips by default, because some people just want to do things in secret. (The whole point of ninja tips.)
- it a countdown is finished with an excess, it doesn't say what was the excess (for the models that like to include that for the next countdown; it has to be manually calculated)
I am thankful it doesn't do that, seems an odd idea to have it display, but maybe they'll add an option for that at some point if girls are actually interested in it.
- no description of what the countdown is for on the updates on chat (let's be honest - not a lot of people read topics)
During the period that I was testing this in beta and giving feedback, I noted that having a text box to add what the countdown was for would be ideal. This is one of those features I believe they're considering for the future.
- potential feature request: allow the model to add all countdowns (and descriptions) she has planned for the night ahead of time (or during the show); this way she doesn't have to worry about updating them , which could help with countdowns during shower shows and such. This could also interact with the excess tip I mentioned above by subtracting from the next countdown (but should be an option configurable by the model)
That one seems a bit far fetched, IMO. Once girls realize this process is pretty easy it won't be a big deal to add a new countdown once one is reached.

If you guys have any other questions about how it works, let me know. :)

AmberCutie said:
A model can put "@remain" in her topic text. Example: "@remain til shower show!" and it would read as "999 remain til shower show" and the 999 would update with every tip that comes in automatically.
Not at all, lol. Once girls know how to use the @remain for the topic, it allows us to be virtually hands-off during the whole countdown.

OK, that worked. For her it looked like she needed to save the topic on every update; but it does update for member's view.. And I guess I should had expected the lack of documentation - we tech people worry about code first, documentation when we have free time (AKA never :p )

What I have heard is that they may be adding more options and features once they get this rolled out without any kinks. However, girls can manually add tokens received in a ninja tip to the total if they choose (they can edit the remaining at any time.) I also believe it's a nice feature to NOT show ninja tips by default, because some people just want to do things in secret. (The whole point of ninja tips.)

True; having ninja tips not count by default makes sense - it's just the lack of configurability that could be improved, but as you said they probably will improve it.

I am thankful it doesn't do that, seems an odd idea to have it display, but maybe they'll add an option for that at some point if girls are actually interested in it.

Yep; having it show to the room can be a bit odd (and as such should be configurable), but I can see the use of it being shown at least to the model.

That one seems a bit far fetched, IMO. Once girls realize this process is pretty easy it won't be a big deal to add a new countdown once one is reached.

The idea came up in the context of situations where updating the countdown/adding a new countdown means interrupting things, such as having to dry off a bit to not get the computer wet during a shower show to add a new countdown. But I can see that option being useful for models that prefer to not having to update things at every new topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.