AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

[Discussion] What are your thoughts on Chaturbate's current placement algorithm?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Should the algorithm be changed or tweaked?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No, leave it as it is!

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScarlettPixl

Cam Model
Jul 17, 2017
Mexico City, Mexico
allmylinks.com
Twitter Username
@ScarlettPixl
Streamate Username
ScarlettPixl
Chaturbate Username
ScarlettPixlOfficial
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/773720/ScarlettPixl/
I'm curious to know what you people think of it and the way things are set up right now. Let's have an honest conversation about it
smiley.gif

If it's necessary to move this to Verified, mods please do.

Ok so what's the deal all about?

From the beginning of Chaturbate’s inception, the placement algorithm favors ONLY streamers with the most viewers in their room, regardless of their customer satisfaction feedback, their stream quality (Both on Audio and Video), their connection quality and other metrics that could be used to Differentiate legit streamers from those who probably aren’t.

All that mattered was that the most viewers a girl had in her room, the higher her placement was, which turned the site into a disastrous popularity contest.

As such, we have seen disastrous consequences such as models using bots to boost their placement and not only slowing down the site’s performance, but also putting newcomer streamers in an uncomfortable position where it’s harder for them to gain traction regardless of their stream and content quality because it makes it VERY difficult for viewers to find them.

Sure, the site has taken some measurements to stop this and make things better, such as integrating OBS support on the site and changing the algorithm so ONLY those accounts with tokens would weight into the site’s placement. However, this is still a popularity contest and things haven’t changed much, sadly. In fact, it’s still quite difficult for newcomers to gain traction precisely because their rooms are buried and even as of today, there are many (Unconfirmed, but rumor has it) streamers who use black hat (Hacking) methods to inject bots with tokens somehow. It’s totally not ok that a site operates like this and it only hurts the streamers.

Clearly things have to change. As it stands the site is the 5th largest adult site on the internet and the largest campsite, traffic wise, according to SimilarWeb’s analytics. Data that seems similar to what Alexa’s ranking shows. This puts it above Streamate (Debatable due to its infinite whitelabels) and MyFreeCams, so if you ask me, being the most popular camsite on the internet means they should also be as transparent as possible with the streamers and try to make sure everyone has a fair chance to grow their brand on the site.

Sure, at the end of the day what matters the most is the streamer's hustle, but don't you all think there's a considerable room for improvement here?

Let's discuss.

Reactions: AmberCutie
Isn't twitch's algorithm the same? I don't really see why video quality should be taken into consideration seeing as the HD tag is already a thing. Models can hide their ratings as well so it'd be kinda hard to rig it like that yea? There's always gonna be people taking advantage of loopholes and sure it could be better but ultimately I'm not worried about it. I just gotta keep doing my own thing. I'd also venture to guess that the front page brings more casual users/greys who don't spend as much time exploring the site to see other models and just wanna get their rocks off without putting in much effort.

Reactions: KarlaKaress
There's an algorithm?

Oh I had exactly the same thought, but there is!

Thing is, the way things are right not don't favor newcomers and just make the most popular streamers richer, while making things quite difficult for others regardless of what hustle they try.

It's an uphill battle that becomes pretty hard to level at, if not impossible.

I'm not asking things to be easy, but I do believe the grounds could be made more fair, to be honest.

Reactions: Ariana_
Im fairly new, I've been camming since feb very inconsistently and i'm usually on the first or second page and I'm definitely not raking it in or getting rich.. I guess it kind of does make it easier for tippers to find you but I don't always find I make the most when I have the most viewers. There are a lot of greys who have no intention of tipping but just want a free show.

Finding a handful of good regulars has been my saving grace and most of those stumbled across my room when I had less viewers in there.. their tipping is generally what gets me to the first and second pages as I'm more interactive and putting on more of a show which brings in the greys who likely won't tip. So yeah.. I guess the ranking system works for me currently but thats just my personal experience..

Reactions: SaffronBurke
CB could give broadcasters the 'new' tag a little longer. It is really helpful when you start and you have no followers. People always want to check out new cams and CB features the new cams in a special area.

Not sure how the new tag is integrated in the algorithm but it helps a lot.

They'll give it to new models only for about a week which is not enough. Two weeks, maybe a month would be fair to give newcomers a good start.

I'm curious to know what you people think of it and the way things are set up right now. Let's have an honest conversation about it
smiley.gif

From the beginning of Chaturbate’s inception, the placement algorithm favors ONLY streamers with the most viewers in their room, regardless of their customer satisfaction feedback, their stream quality (Both on Audio and Video), their connection quality and other metrics that could be used to Differentiate legit streamers from those who probably aren’t.

All that mattered was that the most viewers a girl had in her room, the higher her placement was, which turned the site into a disastrous popularity contest.

As such, we have seen disastrous consequences such as models using bots to boost their placement and not only slowing down the site’s performance, but also putting newcomer streamers in an uncomfortable position where it’s harder for them to gain traction regardless of their stream and content quality because it makes it VERY difficult for viewers to find them.

Sure, the site has taken some measurements to stop this and make things better, such as integrating OBS support on the site and changing the algorithm so ONLY those accounts with tokens would weight into the site’s placement. However, this is still a popularity contest and things haven’t changed much, sadly. In fact, it’s still quite difficult for newcomers to gain traction precisely because their rooms are buried and even as of today, there are many (Unconfirmed, but rumor has it) streamers who use black hat (Hacking) methods to inject bots with tokens somehow. It’s totally not ok that a site operates like this and it only hurts the streamers.

Clearly things have to change. As it stands the site is the 5th largest adult site on the internet and the largest campsite, traffic wise, according to SimilarWeb’s analytics. Data that seems similar to what Alexa’s ranking shows. This puts it above Streamate (Debatable due to its infinite whitelabels) and MyFreeCams, so if you ask me, being the most popular camsite on the internet means they should also be as transparent as possible with the streamers and try to make sure everyone has a fair chance to grow their brand on the site.

Sure, at the end of the day what matters the most is the streamer's hustle, but don't you all think there's a considerable room for improvement here?

Let's discuss.
smiley.gif

Let's discuss.
Hi

I'm new on Chaturbate and I wanted to tell you that the word "buried" is perfect for a newcomer streamer.
So. What's the solution? To do more kinky stuff and show more on free chat to get more followers? Because I am patient... but i only get a few followers a day and aparently it's not enough... any advice? Everytime I stop broadcasting I'm so sad and depressed...
Sorry if I made some grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

Reactions: spankamber
CB could give broadcasters the 'new' tag a little longer. It is really helpful when you start and you have no followers. People always want to check out new cams and CB features the new cams in a special area.

Not sure how the new tag is integrated in the algorithm but it helps a lot.

They'll give it to new models only for about a week which is not enough. Two weeks, maybe a month would be fair to give newcomers a good start.
That was exactly how I found and followed you

Reactions: KaraInCuffs
So what would be a better algorithm/porcess?

Keep in mind CB, like Youtube, needs high performing content on their front page.

Give users an option to make the girls, couples, male page just a long list to scroll through or make that default. Right now there is a new page every 90 or so performers. I think the algorithm is okay (I like it much more than camscore) but just one user with tokens more in the room makes you jump from page 15 to 7 right now and back again if the guy leaves. When you are on page three or behind it, it's almost impossible to be found now.

With the current algorithm it is not the position that determines if you are found or not. It's the page in the section you are in and in girls there are 24 pages now. In some hours we will near the 30 pages. From page four on it's almost impossible to be found except by your regulars and people who already follow you.

Edit: Chaturbate has exploded with performers in the last two years. Two years back there were ten pages of girls. We are nearing 30 now. This indeed makes another sorting necessary but again, I think the algorithm is okay.

Last edited:
It would be nice if there were less of the vending machine models on the main page since their hashtag search method is terrible. Even with that something else needs to be done to get people more interested in spending tokens in general on CB. I feel more like I tip out of charity on CB than I would gain something from the tokens but that might be just the culture of CB.

If I were running a camsite, I'd want my most popular models on the homepage too, so of course it's going to be a popularity contest.

That said, basing it purely on viewer count doesn't really make sense. It's maniuplated (bots) and doesn't give a newer model with more potential than the current top ones a chance to gain traction. Instead, it favors those who manipulate the system or have been on for years and have 8 billion followers. The end goal for chaturbate is to list models who are the most profitable for them. This is why I don't understand why they wouldn't base it off of a combination of your average satisfaction score and total number of satisfaction ratings over the last 90 days (or something to that effect). Since only users who have spent 25 tokens on a model are allowed to vote, more votes = more money spent (good for chaturbate). It's not as easily manipulated, and by limiting it to the past 90 days, you're giving a much better shot to the newer models. In addition, models who have been on for years will be forced to keep up the quality of their shows or risk being surpassed. Those without any ratings (or less than 5 like streamate) start with a default score. Stuff like stream quality doesn't really matter much because that will work itself out through increased user satisfaction (ie, more positive ratings).

Reactions: Ryuki22
I was thinking about this tonight. Aside from # of colors in the room, HD, and connection quality what else factors in? I know that if you're not regularly on page 1 or 2, your hopes really lie in coming in high on a particular tag. Like being the #1 petite cam or something.

I understand the need to have high earning/conventionally attractive models on the front page to draw people in but the first two rows of cams are pretty much always the same people, depending on the time of day. Doesn't really seem fair.

Reactions: Ryuki22
Does the satisfaction score even come into play? And what is the difference in algorithm between normal listings and the 'recommended' rooms? I'm usually 1st or 2nd page for normal listing but most times I check I show up in my own main page 'recommended' list.

I see Chaturbate removed the "Philippines" region and merged it into "asian cams"

Lately I spent some time looking at the room placement on cb's first two pages. While I can understand the placement of the top six to nine rows after that very often there are rooms where I really have no explanation how they got there. Rooms with 50- 60 viewers and only eight to ten users with tokens on the first page while other rooms with considerably more users with tokens are place behind these rooms.

Has it ever been really clearly written somewhere how the placement system works exactly? I looked on the chaturbate site and couldn't find anything. What effect does the "new" tag have? Clearly it has an effect but what is it apart from being put on the "new cams" page? Do so many users even look on that page? It's quite at the bottom of the page and even I didn't find it sooo easily.

While camscore has its flaws too, i understand how it works. On cb I would say I understand the placement not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.