AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you believe that internet addiction is real?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much time do you spend online, looking at your phone, thinking about internet relate stuff?

Reactions: AudriTwo
Yes, and I am living it.
From a child I hated going outside and interacting, so when I got to my teens and discovered a PC and the internet it changed me.... some for the good and some for the bad. Bad being my addiction(s).

I often wonder where an addiction begins and a self control issue ends. Relevant example from my own life: I love video games, always have. Last week, I let myself get completely sucked into FarCry 4. Ignored pretty much all other responsibilities. Played so long I gave myself a serious case of eye strain. Had to take a whole day away from screens to recover. Now, am I addicted to video games? Absolutely not. I have a self control issue, simple as that. I don’t believe anyone is addicted to video games. Or the Internet. Or sex. These are not real addictions. We’re all more than capable of putting the controller/computer/dick away, we just don’t want to. Games especially tap into the reward centers of our brains making us feel oh so god and productive when we know full well we ain’t doing shit.

Framing these things as addictions is an absolute cop out. There’s one thing humans love to do and that’s not take responsibility for our actions. I repeatedly made the terrible choice last week to play instead of doing adult shit. This was my doing and I had complete control over it. People are dying everyday due to opioids, something that is actually addictive. That cause our brains to release a massive amount of dopamine, amounts that these other “addictive” stimuli (video games, Internet, etc) can’t even come close to. Improperly detoxing from these substances kills people. Overdosing, kills people. I don’t believe for one minute that video games have the same pull on me that heroin does to an addict.

Yes, it is real but everyone is addicted so we might consider it normal, the same with coffee and things like that... lol

Do you believe that internet addiction is real? Ive been told that there are people that "live" on Facebook and/or Twitter.
If you mean addiction by meaning, "the brain gets a bunch of 'feel-good hormones' if you do X action but you do it so much that it starts to overshadow your life" or "if you don't do X action, you'll feel really bad because of withdrawals" (this is more dependency though) then I guess? I don't see it being impossible. People get addicted to food and caffeine the same way.

Or with gambling addicts. They either have a very low amount of dopamine that making a win barely makes it to their base dopamine level OR they risk/reward factor is all boggled. Normal people may weigh risks or reward and logically choose which one is worth it. With these types of addicts, they see reward and their dopamine just skyrockets, making them make pretty dumb choices. I'm not sure if this is strictly about gambling addicts, but large sums of money seems to play a big role in this type of addiction.

Also, addiction isn't opiate-exclusive, opiate-related addictions is just one of the deadliest

EDIT

If you mean addiction by meaning, "the brain gets a bunch of 'feel-good hormones' if you do X action but you do it so much that it starts to overshadow your life" or "if you don't do X action, you'll feel really bad because of withdrawals" (this is more dependency though) then I guess? I don't see it being impossible. People get addicted to food and caffeine the same way.

People's brains are wired differently, which is why you have people that are prone to addictions than others. Some people have what some call, "addictive personalities" (still rooted in their neurology) and I think that's where the "marijuana is a gateway drug" myth came from. Marijuana itself doesn't make you seek out other drugs because you've open a floodgate of narcotics. Some people may get bored with marijuana and want to try more things, but it's more likely these people's brains are wired to seek out the "other things." Some people smoke or do drugs and always relapse or "can't" seem to quit. Others may try it once and think, "yeah, I'm not feeling it. I don't want to do this anymore." That's not saying you guys should smoke and test out your brain lol. They're still highly addictive and I don't know the percentage of "non-addicted" users. Point is, different neurophysiology, different paths.

Also, addiction isn't opiate-exclusive, opiate-related addictions is just one of the deadliest or perhaps the most publicized.

semi nerd alert that's probably unrelated:
Gambling addicts have a very low amount of dopamine that making a win barely makes it to their base dopamine level (and it's the only thing that does) OR they risk/reward factor is all boggled. Normal people may weigh risks or reward and logically choose which one is worth it. With these types of addicts, they see reward and their dopamine just skyrockets, making them make pretty dumb choices.

I suggest you try the theory out for your self... 3 weeks with no internet then report back to us how it went.
Well apparently he's going a period of time without ACF so that's a starting point. Based on interaction, I'd suggest he break from Twitter, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.