AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Do you treat camming as your business or a flexible part time job?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think one is inherently better or worse than the other, even though your post seems to kind of imply it is. It can be both, for sure, or either (you can care about a flexible part time job), but there's nothing wrong with making work a major or minor priority in your life.

Anyway camming has always been a part-time endeavour for me. It's helped me pay the bills while I'm in school and allowed me to focus on studying. I like that I'm able to work more if I want/need more money, but that I can also work just a couple of hours a week if I just want enough to get by. In my first semester, I had a retail job and it felt like such a waste of time to stand behind a cash register bored outta my skull for hours with nothing to do, but not allowed to study at the till -- camming means I can make the same money in a fraction of the time without feeling like my time is wasted. And it's more fun and I don't waste time on a commute and can stay inside on rainy days, and can take off as much time as I want during final exams or busy times.

In my first semester, I had a retail job and it felt like such a waste of time to stand behind a cash register bored outta my skull for hours with nothing to do, but not allowed to study at the till -- camming means I can make the same money in a fraction of the time without feeling like my time is wasted. And it's more fun and I don't waste time on a commute and can stay inside on rainy days, and can take off as much time as I want during final exams or busy times.

Nailed it.

My flexible part-time business.

I put in flexible "part time" (which apparently most consider anything less than 30 hours per week) hours on cam. But I spend most of my waking existence running and maintaining "AmberCutie" as a business.

If I'm being honest with myself, I probably take it too seriously. But I only cam part time hours, so nobody else thinks I do. Which makes me punchy sometimes.

Camming is only one of the handful of hats I wear in the adult industry, but it is the cornerstone so I consider it all connected and one business, and the time and years devoted are hefty BUT...

You can run your own part time flexible business and treat it as so, because it's your business and no one else get's to dictate how much you invest into it. The whole point of taking on the hassles of being self employed is that you are your own boss and decide how it will be run.

I put in flexible "part time" (which apparently most consider anything less than 30 hours per week) hours on cam. But I spend most of my waking existence running and maintaining "AmberCutie" as a business.

If I'm being honest with myself, I probably take it too seriously. But I only cam part time hours, so nobody else thinks I do. Which makes me punchy sometimes.
AND THIS SWEET JEBUS THIS! Even without a forum, especially for MFC/CB girls the off cam requirements to stay relevant are bloody high!

A business can be flexible, that's kind of the point of having your own business. My Internet sex work is all I do for money. I put real work into it and make a real living out of it but I most definitely work part time hours.

Some people seem to think we all want to be working overtime and making crazy money. We all have different priorities in life. Some of us choose to work less so we have more time for other things. Some people in the industry work less because they're living off investments or other businesses. Some people just require less to get by.

It is definitely my business, and while the actual hours I put in on cam would be considered part-time (I average 4 hours on cam, 5 days per week), the amount of time I put into my business, is probably way more than traditional "mainstream" full time workers do. I'm constantly making new costumes, planning shows, games, prizes, videos, and raffles, not to mention maintaining the graphics for my profile, keeping social media updated, interacting in MFC mail, twitter, snapchat, kik messenger... Even on my "days off" I spend a few hours doing cam things.

Don't get me wrong, this is not me complaining or bragging, just sharing :) It is physically and emotionally exhausting work, but also the most rewarding work I've ever done. I love it, I love the wonderful people I've met through camming, members and models alike, and while it would be nice to have a little more down time to myself, I am happier now than I've ever been.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Tristyn
Anyway camming has always been a part-time endeavour for me. It's helped me pay the bills while I'm in school and allowed me to focus on studying. I like that I'm able to work more if I want/need more money, but that I can also work just a couple of hours a week if I just want enough to get by. In my first semester, I had a retail job and it felt like such a waste of time to stand behind a cash register bored outta my skull for hours with nothing to do, but not allowed to study at the till -- camming means I can make the same money in a fraction of the time without feeling like my time is wasted. And it's more fun and I don't waste time on a commute and can stay inside on rainy days, and can take off as much time as I want during final exams or busy times.

Completely agreed. For me, it's always a part time thing, and it'll always be a part time thing, since I'm very fulfilled in my day job as a programmer. But, that doesn't mean I don't treat my camming as a business. I worked my ass off for four months to get my camscore up, and built up enough of a following that in one night I made a 300 point jump, which put me over what I would've been as a new model. Only through treating it like a business and taking it serious would that have happened, because it fell to around 687. I don't see how it being part time makes me less 'serious' than someone who's full time. I completely respect full time girls, because I could not do this full time-I don't have the personality for it-but to lessen the work we part timers put in is kind of disingenuous.

Honestly, camming is apart of my sex industry business and my camming brand is growing. However, camming will always be a part-time business endeavor for me.Frankly, the cornerstone of my adult industry career will always be both phone sex, texting, panty selling, content making, and sugaring.I put more time into those parts of my business because they make me the most. Camming is like number 6th on the list of my money makers. In 2017, I will make more of an effort when it comes to camming because I want my brand to grow bigger and better. :)

Thanks for all the input so far! This took an interesting turn I'd say.
I first want to say that I have nothing but respect for all of you and your work.
I certainly didn't intend for this to appear as though one side or the other were better. I was just asking the question to see which way you thought about it yourself.
I may have phrased the question better as "flexible job" instead, the actual amount of time you spend on your work was irrelevant to my question.
There is a large difference in the mind set of 'This is my business' versus 'this is my job' though, so I was just curious which way you individually look at it.

I consider it my business rather than my job because of the extra work it takes. This week I created a new persona, filmed extra files, bought a website as an investment and I uploaded all my content to a secondary website. So it isn't about just working a set of hours but trying to constantly grow and diversify my income that makes it feel like a business to me.

Reactions: AnimeAnnie
Status
Not open for further replies.