AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Don't Starve

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2012
Anyone played this?

I picked it up in the Steam Sale for 5 bucks.

It's basically a survival game with a lot of elements to it. Gathering, creation, hunting, combat, beard shaving

I'm enjoying it so far. The longest I've gone is 18 days. When you start to lose your sanity the game does get pretty creepy actually. I've unlocked a couple of characters and also downloaded a mod that let's me play as Link from the Legend of Zelda.

Here's a little summary video

I own it, and I've watched a lot of gameplay videos of it, but I haven't played it yet. It certainly looks fun, though. It has the vibe of playing that first night on Minecraft, where you have to collect tools and materials before night falls and monsters come out to eat your face, only all the time. Maybe I'll have time to play it on my upcoming winter break.

Reactions: Kunra9
I got this game during the Steam sale too! It seems really interesting but I didn't realize you die and start over. I can see how that might get tedious. But there sure is a lot to explore and figure out so I'm excited to spend some hours on it.

Look for "touch stones", after you die you can continue your game. You resurrect at the touch stone and just have to trek back to your corpse and pick up all your stuff

Randomly picked this up a week ago or so and started messing with it--I'd totally recommend the game.

The graphics/sound/style of the game are truly fun--it's kind of like an edgy gritty cartoon. The game play is highly addictive--it offers a great mix of collecting resources, exploring the map, and just generally trying to survive. Much of the in-game text is well-written/hilarious.

It's true that it features the seemingly "hardcore" element of only having "one life," but at some point you're going to want to die--it's actually a fun/integral part of the game. I made it to the 34th day on my first significant play through--and was pleasantly surprised that I had unlocked all kinds of fun new characters to try--dying is the only way to cash in your experience, so even though it's a disappointing experience--there are some fun perks (plus, I was hopelessly frustrated/stuck--the winter season in this game is brutal).

The starting over process is pretty painless--and the randomness of the maps/environments gives you a relatively fresh experience every time. Oh yeah, and there are turkeys, spiders, piggies, and all kinds of fun creatures to chase around :-D

Reactions: Kunra9 and Gen
So I've made it to winter twice now.

The first time I had NO resources stocked up. No means to extend the life of food at all.
Venturing out to collect is nearly impossible due to having to stop and warm up every few minutes.

The 2nd time I made it to winter, I had some drying racks for meat but nothing else. I had stored up a bit of food to help me get by but ultimately I had to give up.

My last two games, I wasn't able to locate guys to obtain gears to create refrigerators for food storage.

I'm still having fun with this. I think my favorite character is the fire chick. Her lighter is extremely handy for lots of things. And being able to recover sanity just by standing close to fire is great.

Kunra9 said:
So I've made it to winter twice now.

The first time I had NO resources stocked up. No means to extend the life of food at all.
Venturing out to collect is nearly impossible due to having to stop and warm up every few minutes.

The 2nd time I made it to winter, I had some drying racks for meat but nothing else. I had stored up a bit of food to help me get by but ultimately I had to give up.

My last two games, I wasn't able to locate guys to obtain gears to create refrigerators for food storage.

I'm still having fun with this. I think my favorite character is the fire chick. Her lighter is extremely handy for lots of things. And being able to recover sanity just by standing close to fire is great.

Just a few thoughts/tips for the winter:

On my current playthrough I was able to breeze through the winter (unlike my previous attempts). I was playing as Wilson (the first guy you start with) which really seemed to help seeing that his beard will keep you from getting cold (at least while it's still light out).

1) Rabbits: Rabbit holes are a great resource that you can't move--so it's a great idea to build your base near a cluster of them. By placing traps right above, below, or next to the holes--you'll basically have a never ending supply of rabbits--and you don't even need to use bait. Rabbits take up an entire inventory slot--so it's kind of a pain to carry them around and store them--but you can catch them all winter long. The other great thing is that if you stick live rabbits in a chest, they won't spoil. So your rabbit stash is only limited by how many chests you feel like building (or how much wood you have). This has been my main food solution (I haven't found gears yet to make an icebox).

2) Carrots: During the start of the game I never picked up any of the carrots. As far as I can tell they never grow back--if you leave all the carrots at the beginning--you'll leave yourself some wiggle room (easy food) for when you want to branch out a bit during the winter.

3) The Crock Pot: This thing will really let you maximize your meals--and it's kind of fun too.

4) Beefalo: I haven't had the balls to start hunting these things yet--but they are an excellent manure source. My main use for them is as a defense system--if your base is at least somewhat near a heard of Beefalo--you can lead attacking mobs into the herd--and they'll take care of those stupid hounds (or whatever they are).

5) Touchstones: While these things are great--you really need to build a firepit and leave some emergency supplies near them. Otherwise, if you die in the winter (especially at night) you'll respawn and one of these and then probably die again right away.

:twocents-02cents:

That's a good tip about the rabbits. I never really knew that they didn't spoil if kept alive. I always figured they'd just die and turn to rot.

I generally try to create a camp near pigs due to the protection and help they can also provide. But I can definitely see setting up a satellite camp near rabbits for that resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.