AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Drugs, Alcohol and Cam Girls

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2014
I've seen this issue raised before, but for some reason (maybe chance) I've noticed it several times recently when surfing around MFC. It could be that seeing cam girls talking about it here made me more of aware of it. It is something I've witnessed many times.

It is definitely the case that more than a few cam girls are heavy users of drugs and alcohol. I can't judge whether or not these models have a problem. And I can't tell you statistically whether it's a more of a problem for cam girls than the general population. But I do know that cam girls having tips in their topic for taking shots or drinks is common, and I've seen more than a few get so drunk on cam that they had to log off, or even run out of the room to go puke. Marijuana use is also very prevalent, but many seem to do more of that off cam than on. Lately I've run into several who have talked openly about using harder drugs, to a degree that is definitely more prevalent than the "average" women I know in "real life".

This is purely anecdotal observation on my part, but it seems to be more common among American cam girls than non-American ones, and it seems particularly common among those in California. The harder drugs especially seem to be much more prevalent, or at least more openly talked about, by California cam girls. So it could be as much of a local cultural phenomenon as a cam girl phenomenon. But I have definitely seen more than a few, from all over the world, who seem to need to get drunk or high to get through their time on cam, and I have seen cam girls here raise the issue.

That may be why I've noticed it more recently, and it has made me concerned at times. I'm curious to know what more cam girls have to say about the subject.

Joeternal said:
And I can't tell you statistically whether it's a more of a problem for cam girls than the general population.
I don't notice any difference in comparison of "liberal" young adults. I think you are projecting stereotypes about sex workers.
And if by "hard drugs" you mean cocaine, it's fairly common in general population since the 2000s due to global price drop (the US becomes less involved in monitoring South America trafficking to focus on terrorism, and Afghanistan became a major producer after the war).

Yeah I agree with eclipse. I think a good chunk of people try drugs at one point in their lifetime. You may not know it since, ya know illegal and stuff, but it happens. It is a stereotype with sex workers, but I don't think it's really a "just sex worker" issue. Every vanilla job I've worked in had a someone who had a vice of some sort, be it the manager who drank on the job, or the stoners smoking in the walkin...whatever the case everyone has flaws, I'm sure they know they need to improve...yadda yadda, another vice is being judgmental.

Ever worked in food service? There wasn't a day where someone didn't come in drunk, get drunk at work, do coke in the bathroom, and/or smoke pot out by the dumpster.

There's thousands of models on MFC at any given time. Some of them are going to enjoy alcohol and recreational drugs like pot. Some of them are going to enjoy harder drugs.

I feel like people try to separate cam models out from the general population, as if we're not just normal people who happen to ALSO be cam models. We're subject to the same vices as everyone else.

The reason I raise the issue here is because I have read posts here by cam girls who said they think it's a problem. Not a problem that's unique to cam girls, but a problem that is worse among cam girls than the general population.

It has made me notice or think to myself "you know, every time I see that model on cam, she is completely wasted". I've heard models say things like, "I have to drink if I'm going to deal with you guys tonight ", go grab a bottle, and get trashed.

We all do or have done this kind of thing at one time or another. The question is whether it's a problem in particular for cam girls that few people are talking about.

There's not a camming/sexworker problem that causes substance abuse if that's what you mean. The problems are the same as anyone else. If the cammer has a problem, then yes, they should try to fix their situation, but it's the same as any other person who abuses drugs or alcohol. Also, you say the cammer keeps seeming to slip down to a worse level...that tends to be how things go wit addiction. Things tend to get worse then either they stay that way or have a wake up call.

I work on rotating shifts... from my colleagues all of us tend to be pretty heavy drinkers.
I have noticed I tend to drink more on day shifts for some reason, but perhaps that is more unique to me as a person.
I have a physical job so it kind of acts as a painkiller, and relaxes you before resting... I must admit I am also the type.

The effects can be mixed, I see the negatives, but I do love drinking so very much.

My experience of models I wont and shouldn't comment on.... most seem within the normal range in regard to drug use. If you work odd shifts you are most likely at risk.

Reactions: ACFFAN69
I think it is no surprise that someone who strives a job where they can work from home, away from having to deal face to face with people, would be more likely (a small percent at the very least) to have a substance abuse or alcohol problem.
I don't mean to reinforce stereotypes. I still think by far the majority of Cam Models do not, just like I think that the majority of people don't.

Also, "problem" can mean many things. If they are successfully living off their cam modeling earnings, is it really a "problem"? Or are they more high functioning addicts?
Hell, alcohol can be an effective tool to increase profits.

eclipse76 said:
I don't notice any difference in comparison of "liberal" young adults. I think you are projecting stereotypes about sex workers.
And if by "hard drugs" you mean cocaine, it's fairly common in general population since the 2000s due to global price drop (the US becomes less involved in monitoring South America trafficking to focus on terrorism, and Afghanistan became a major producer after the war).

You're thinking of opiates: IE Heroine (and pharmaceuticals like Oxy, Morphine, percs, etc). Cocaine is grown in South America.

Opium was banned in Afghanistan under the Taliban. After the US invaded Afghanistan it became almost the sole producer of opium. The invasion effectively put "the golden triangle" (East Asian countries: Laos, Thailand, Burmese, Vietnam, and a small part of China controlled by the former Kuomintang army). While the US was in Afghanistan they had US soldiers guarding the opium/poppy fields! Apparentily now 92% of all opium comes from Afghanistan. Also Heroine prices have significantly dropped since.

I'm not denying there's drugs and alcohol in this scene, but I think one of the reasons is that the 'drug demograph' is the highest among people 18-28, and that just happen to be the majority of camgirls.
Also, if you spend 3+ hours a day talking, you eventually will come across some subject you wouldn't share in an office job around the watercooler. It's not easy being engaging for hours at an end and carrying a conversation without sometimes going to some weird places ;)

I don't drink or do drugs, and I actually never noticed it being bad amongst camgirls, but that maybe depends of your scene within the scene.

Keep in mind there are legit fetishists that want to see girls doing these things on cam/video. :twocents-02cents:

ACFFAN69 said:
I think it is no surprise that someone who strives a job where they can work from home, away from having to deal face to face with people, would be more likely (a small percent at the very least) to have a substance abuse or alcohol problem.

Also, "problem" can mean many things. If they are successfully living off their cam modeling earnings, is it really a "problem"? Or are they more high functioning addicts?
Hell, alcohol can be an effective tool to increase profits.

As the child of a writer (my mom doesn't drink or do drugs btw) I'd just like to say this completely this also completely describes that culture as well. Think about it a good chunk of writers drink or do drugs for either creativity or for stress of trying to get their job done by the deadline. I guess that could technically go for creative people/artists in general, but reading that sorta made me flashback several times when my mom would drag me to writer's groups and conventions. Generally hey'd be more cleaned up there, but I remember all the gossip from one writer to another on who was doing what cleaned up looking for how they "normally were". So I guess you could say the stress of deadlines, and constantly having to plan out shows yes, could cause some to developed this, but I still stand behind the fact that there were most likely issues before they started camming.

Also, like Rose said drinking is a fetish, same with drug use. I myself have a couple of drinking videos the alcohol I purchased solely for use of those videos, and I said in the videos I won't drink on cam. When I started I drank all the time, but I did that before camming too. I quit drinking after several members told me they were concerned about my health. It was hard since my ex was an alcoholic. I had never really liked drinking, but I did it because he did. I haven't had any problem since we split. Again though nothing to do with camming. It was partially stress, yes but not from cam. I think that any job with stress wondering if you'll make enough that month and if you can get your creative thing setup in time can cause stress. It really I think depends on time management and realizing whether or not you're cut out for camming. From any sort of physical or psychological factor of camming though...I have know a couple of models who had to drink to relieve pain. Anyone who has to drink for just dealing with the thought of camming, really shouldn't be camming.

^ Ha, writers are just as bad as strippers. Yes, that's a stereotype. Yes, I love my strippers and writers. And my booze. So shoot me!

However, I know so many people in lots of professions that are more, erm, professional? that drink just as much as I or the average writer does, but they're more discreet about it. I think it's just easier when you're self employed to not hide it because you don't have a reason to. But I know too many functional adults who drink straight top liquor from a tumbler. It probably seems like my several glasses of wine make me the more boozy, but 12% compared to 44% and they're actually consuming much more than me.

But writers and strippers and camgirls don't really have a "reputation" like working "professionals" do.

from time to time I browse various sites. Only on a few occasions have I seen anyone openly drinking or smoking. I've never seen anyone fall out drunk or so high that they cannot function. I'm in california and pot is legal here so you're gonna have more people who smoke pot. For me personally I rarely smoke before working on anything... if I do it's for a few reasons. I have depression and sometimes this is the only way to get myself out of horrible thought loops to function properly. Other times it's helpful with pain and the anxiety that can come along with camming. I can tell you that every single day I go on even after five years of this I still get very anxious and nervous that I will have a room full of people not talking to me, who wont pay for anything and will be rude etc...

I cannot say for sure if any other substances have a medical or even a positive purpose but I think things can be used the right or wrong way. I've seen a lot drug folks in various walks of life and I'm learning that with anything what I've been fed via the media can be grossly incorrect. Maybe we should just judge each person on their own merits... when we lump ppl in together and over simplify... you really miss out on the essence of that person or whether there is a problem.

I cannot have 1 shot, 1 beer, 1 nothing ever...but that doesn't mean others can't do that and be fine... I was offered a xanax once when working at a cam studio and I had no idea wtf it was... and I honestly wouldn't have thought that girl was using them incorrectly.

I just know that I don't know much. hope this was helpful

Fay_Galore said:
the 'drug demograph' is the highest among people 18-28, and that just happen to be the majority of camgirls.
Also, if you spend 3+ hours a day talking, you eventually will come across some subject you wouldn't share in an office job around the watercooler.
Ann_Sulu said:
a good chunk of writers drink or do drugs for either creativity or for stress of trying to get their job done by the deadline.

Those are some wonderful points that Fay and Ann made, and I'm going to expand upon them. Most entertainers drink/do drugs for creativity and to lessen their nerves. Almost every stand-up comedian is drinking/smoking on stage. Rockstars are infamous for their drug/party habits. It comes with the territory. And no, I'm not saying that camgirls are doing drugs excessively; most keep it under control. Hell, I've even met some camgirls that despise drinking, but do so on cam because that's one of the only ways they can get people to tip. I think it's a mixture of all of these reasons, combined with accessibility. When models (or anyone, for that matter) start making more money, their cost of living and entertainment expenses rise. They move into better houses, they start eating out more often, and occasionally, partake in recreational drugs more. Yes, I'm generalizing. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does pertain to some.

I have been approached by members who felt another model had a drinking/drug problem. I have also seen members "out" camgirls to their families because the member thinks it's "what's best for her." NO. Don't do this. This is the worst thing you could do in a situation like that. If you worry that someone has a problem (be it drugs, alcohol, suicide tendencies), let them know that you're there for them if they want to talk. You can give them links/phone numbers if you're severely worried about them. However, doing this will more than likely backfire on you. The model will be offended, and might even shut you out/ban you. Knowing that, if you're seriously concerned, it might be the best option. What's losing an internet chat buddy compared to potentially helping save someone's life? Unless this is the case, I would suggest you just hang out with models that you enjoy. If drinking/smoking on cam bothers you, find another model to watch.

I_Am_Iris said:
I have been approached by members who felt another model had a drinking/drug problem. I have also seen members "out" camgirls to their families because the member thinks it's "what's best for her." NO. Don't do this. This is the worst thing you could do in a situation like that. If you worry that someone has a problem (be it drugs, alcohol, suicide tendencies), let them know that you're there for them if they want to talk. You can give them links/phone numbers if you're severely worried about them. However, doing this will more than likely backfire on you. The model will be offended, and might even shut you out/ban you. Knowing that, if you're seriously concerned, it might be the best option. What's losing an internet chat buddy compared to potentially helping save someone's life? Unless this is the case, I would suggest you just hang out with models that you enjoy. If drinking/smoking on cam bothers you, find another model to watch.

Agreed. I had a few guys suggest to me (since they knew I didn't even like drinking) to switch to "vodka" on cam aka water till I felt I could 100% quit. I think getting that suggestion was when I kinda woke up that it was a problem.

Outing a camgirl for a reason such as this won't do anything other than not make you be aware of it. If she was a drinker before, then she'll definitely not easily stop after being outed. I'd say best thing to do would be progression if you feel like offering advice. Confrontation will likely be seen as an attack like Iris said. Perhaps say you'll always be there if she needs you, maybe offer the water/vodka idea, then yeah after a point you may feel the need to just be blunt if nothing else has worked. I figure at least you'll know you tried.

I_Am_Iris said:
Almost every stand-up comedian is drinking/smoking on stage.
Naw, not really. Very few seem to do either on stage nowadays. Most just drink water.

I was more likely to do hard drugs and drink in excess when I was working as a server. I hated my job and my back and feet hurt ALL the time. Now I drink moderately and stick with pot. I don't consider pot a drug. Just a plant that eases my scoliosis pain and makes music sound better. As for doing it on cam, I'll sit with a glass of wine and offer drinks for tips. Not because I'm an alcoholic, but because some guys enjoy it and will tip me for it so it's another way for me to make a few extra bucks AND enjoy some wine. It's a win win. It doesn't mean I have a substance abuse problem.

Well. Except for red bulls. My mother swears I'm going to end up with heart problems because of my over-consumption of those.

In addition to just being, ya know, normal people, you're seeing camgirls while they're at work and their job is to promote a fun atmosphere. This isn't their daily life, this is them in fun party mode. It's sort of like saying 'man, every time I run into Josh at the bar he has a drink in his hand!' Well, yeah, you're at a bar. Camming is sorta like being at a party, but it's our job. Some girls will drink, some won't, most won't be sloshed every day on cam. You really can't judge if someone has a problem based off of how they act a few hours out of their day while they're performing. If you could then people might start worrying that I have a nudity addiction since I spend so much time naked on cam!

As for the camgirl you said that brought up the possibility that alcohol and drugs might be a bigger problem for camgirls than the regular population... I'd say she's projecting, maybe she drinks more because she's unhappy with her job and therefore assumes that all camgirls drinking do it for the same reasons.

I've met a LOT of camgirls and only one of them seemed to me to have a drinking problem. On the other hand, I know quite a few alcoholics in other walks of life.

Also keep in mind that it's something you'll notice if it's present but you likely aren't noticing the absence - as in, if I said "hmm seems like a lot of camgirls wear red lipstick", I wouldn't notice the ones who aren't - I'd say "my goodness I was right, soooo many do". I'd also guess it depends what time you watch - if I watch cams at 9pm VS 9pm, I bet I'd see more drinking (and likely more members would be drinking as well, just due to time of day).

Anyway everyone else covered it, substance use seems on par (anecdotally, obviously) with people in the 18-28 kind of age range, definitely saw a lot of it in restaurants but cam models can be more out about it than a lot of people. Also a lot of girls want to create a fun, ~party~ atmosphere so doing shots or getting tipsy is part of that. Lastly keep in mind we only see the girls for a few hours a day, you have no idea what their habits are off cam, how much they're actually drinking VS how much they're hamming it up - like most things in camming, some girls fake it so assuming their habits is kinda presumptuous.

It does seem like some models drink a lot but to sum it up I personally don't think most girls drink more than a lot of other people of the same age.

Substance abuse does seem way more prevalent in sex workers in general but I only have anecdotal evidence to support this. People I know in real life with "normal" jobs are mostly weekend warriors but the strippers and camgirls I know are daily users. Drinking is kinda a part of the job for many strippers, way easier to have a problem(and be in complete denial about it) when you work around it.

PunkInDrublic said:
Substance abuse does seem way more prevalent in sex workers in general but I only have anecdotal evidence to support this. People I know in real life with "normal" jobs are mostly weekend warriors but the strippers and camgirls I know are daily users. Drinking is kinda a part of the job for many strippers, way easier to have a problem(and be in complete denial about it) when you work around it.

Most of the scholar studies show a significantly higher use and abuse of drugs among sex worker than non sex workers e.g . [url=http://www.tandfonline.com/d...w.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... M_qLi7q9Zg[/url]. These studies are typically among prostitutes (and occasionally strippers) so how applicable they are to camgirls is anybody guess. (One of the problems with lumping all sex workers together,IMO). Still unlike crime rates which have dropped dramatically over the last 20 years, drug and alcohol deaths and hospitalization rates are up dramatically (more than 50% for drugs and 75% for drugs+ alcohol this century). So statistically you are far more likely to end in the morgue or a hospital walking into a bar or a party, than walking the streets at night in all but the most dangerous places in the country.

You also can't know for sure what's actually in her drink. She could easily be completely faking it, drinking and being drunk. :twocents-02cents: It's possible. Not true for every situation, but it's possible.

I don't think cam models are *necessarily* more prone to being substance dependent than people in other lines of work. I'm old, and I've seen a lot of people and there are addicts of some kind in all kinds of jobs.

Personally, I find people generally less attractive when they're drunk or high, but that probably has more to do with my having been raised by alcoholics. There are a few models I visit who drink regularly throughout their time on cam. I'll stick around while they're sober, but generally leave once they get tipsy. Maybe part of me is drawn to that kind of person, but another part remembers the bad times once the booze starts talking.

I think a lot of models are more fun and less relaxed when they have a had a drink or two. Problem is so many camgirls are tiny little things, that the difference between tipsy and fun, and totally shitfaced and awful performers is like 3 shots.

I made the post here because I've rarely said anything other than something mild like, "you seem pretty wasted, maybe you should take that out of your topic". I've started to notice it more, but when I think back it's not new.

Joeternal said:
I made the post here because I've rarely said anything other than something mild like, "you seem pretty wasted, maybe you should take that out of your topic". I've started to notice it more, but when I think back it's not new.

To expand on this a little bit, the problem is that we're dealing mostly with anecdotal evidence. It's kind of like the fact that the overwhelming majority of cam girls come from homes where their parents were either divorced or never married. I don't have the statistics to demonstrate it, but I would estimate the number is as high as 90% based on my own conversations with cam girls. In that case, camming clearly didn't cause the situation. Instead, people who grow up in those circumstances are more likely to become cam girls (or get into other areas of adult entertainment). It may be the same thing with substance abuse.

Without calling out any specific model, I will add this, from my own personal experience. There is kind of a continuum from "recreational" to "problem" to "addict". You may not be an addict. You may be able to quit without serious withdrawals. But if you use drugs or alcohol to self-medicate (I speak from experience here), in my opinion you are no longer a purely recreational user, and you at least have the beginnings of a problem. Something like, "I'm really stressed out, I need a drink" is a warning sign.

Joeternal said:
Joeternal said:

To expand on this a little bit, the problem is that we're dealing mostly with anecdotal evidence. It's kind of like the fact that the overwhelming majority of cam girls come from homes where their parents were either divorced or never married. I don't have the statistics to demonstrate it, but I would estimate the number is as high as 90% based on my own conversations with cam girls. In that case, camming clearly didn't cause the situation. Instead, people who grow up in those circumstances are more likely to become cam girls (or get into other areas of adult entertainment). It may be the same thing with substance abuse.
Then I guess I'm in the minority. :think:

Rose said:
Joeternal said:
Joeternal said:

Same my folks have been married for over 40 years. Also, I'd like to add that due to a situation of my mom growing up around a brother that abused both drugs and alcohol, neither of my parents used either. My mom told my dad she wouldn't marry him unless he swore he'd never drink, so even though it wasn't he wasn't an alcoholic he didn't drink knowing it was important to her. I never even touched alcohol till I was married after I was 21.

Ann_Sulu said:
Rose said:
Joeternal said:
Joeternal said:

Same my folks have been married for over 40 years.

A few years past 30 for my folks! :p

I also don't drink alcohol or use any kind of drugs (I might take a puff on my husband's e-cig on an especially stressful day, but don't think that really counts). But I will say that I think alcohol/drug use is very prevalent in the cammodel community... and abuse of those substances is definitely an issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.