AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

First show, and well... :( feedback needed!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2017
Candy kingdom
Hey everyone, I just did my first show today on chaturbate. Gotta say it was pretty disappointing. I stopped after 30 minutes because, so far, I got 0 tokens and was starting to get worried -who's going to click on a show that's been going for 30 minutes with 4 viewers and a fully dressed girl? I never got more than 6 people in the room, and the only request I got was an one piece swimsuit (? don't have any :S).

I did have a goal set as well as a tip menu, I kept smiling and replied to everyone, got natural light, did my best to look nice, but people just kept dripping out. So I feel like I messed up.

I'm not sure what went wrong, any advice or troubleshooting anyone can give me would be great!

It would he helpful if you posted a link to your profile here

Also. If you don't stay on for more than 30 minutes you cant expect people to find you. Some days are honestly just slow days and you have to just power through. Some times you don't have to do anything wrong and people just don't like you because they're stupid. Sometimes it's just luck and not you.

Anywaysss

Were you just sitting or standing? What cam are you using? Do you have good internet speeds?

30min isn't enough time at all. You might not even register as being online yet sometimes in 30min depending on connection. You have to treat camming like a job and give it proper amount of time. Prep time - work time - closing time treat your account like a storefront. You will get window shoppers. YOU have to make the sale they just have to be there with money. You can't put all the responsibility of the sale on the customer.

It would he helpful if you posted a link to your profile here

Also. If you don't stay on for more than 30 minutes you cant expect people to find you. Some days are honestly just slow days and you have to just power through. Some times you don't have to do anything wrong and people just don't like you because they're stupid. Sometimes it's just luck and not you.

Anywaysss

Were you just sitting or standing? What cam are you using? Do you have good internet speeds?

Sure but my profile is pretty much empty. I know 30 minutes is a really short amount of time, but I always see the cameras with so little viewers are in their first 5 minutes. I was worried people would see "30 minutes and 4 viewers? must be crap lol". Also I've had people imply I might not be hot enough for camming which I know is dumb because everyone has a different taste, but yeah.

I was sitting down but on the bed, not a desk chair, legs folded to the side. I'm using my phone as a cam because the default one is terrible. The internet speed is average. Tbh I started camming because I'm broke so I can't do any big upgrades at this point.

EDIT: I'm not broadcasting through the phone!! I have the phone camera connected to the computer and the computer does the broadcast, the phone is on sleep mode during this. Sorry it was confusing!

30min isn't enough time at all. You might not even register as being online yet sometimes in 30min depending on connection. You have to treat camming like a job and give it proper amount of time. Prep time - work time - closing time treat your account like a storefront. You will get window shoppers. YOU have to make the sale they just have to be there with money. You can't put all the responsibility of the sale on the customer.

People were showing up though, just leaving right away. I feel like I spent three times as long prepping than working, which, yeah, not good, I just got assaulted by a ton of doubts. I wasn't even aware one could do so badly on their first day :/ I definitely wasn't expecting to walk away with 1000 tokens! But I've never seen anyone get less than, idk, 40. I feel like it went as bad as I could go, so I needed to evacuate and rethink my strategy.

Last edited:
I didn't see your stream, so I couldn't say anything specific to you, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a phone as their camera and have a stream quality that was very watchable.
Even if your built in camera isn't good, I'd try doing another shift with it, and see if that improves things at all. And if you want to keep camming, that would definitely be the first thing i'd buy as you start being able to afford it.

Reactions: ExcellaExe
I didn't see your stream, so I couldn't say anything specific to you, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a phone as their camera and have a stream quality that was very watchable.
Even if your built in camera isn't good, I'd try doing another shift with it, and see if that improves things at all. And if you want to keep camming, that would definitely be the first thing i'd buy as you start being able to afford it.
Actually for comparison, mind you the lighting is shit and I'm back from the gym but, as far as image quality goes it should work
Phone
Webcam
Literally taken with two seconds of difference in the same spot (phone is 1 inch higher but right above the built in camera

Just a comment from a member perspective.....

1) 30 minutes is far too short, give it at least a couple of hours and see how things go, I saw on your profile that you have 3 followers, so at least some were interested in you....

2) You wrote that you do camming because you are broke, camming is not exactly a get rich rich quickly scheme, sure some models manage to catch a big tipper at the beginning, but the normal way is to built up a following over many hours and hopefully make some tips in the process.....

Maybe spent some time watching models you consider comparable to yourself, like models with less then 1000 followers to get an idea about pricing of privates and flashes and see how many members spent tokens on them...

:)

Just a comment from a member perspective.....

1) 30 minutes is far too short, give it at least a couple of hours and see how things go, I saw on your profile that you have 3 followers, so at least some were interested in you....

2) You wrote that you do camming because you are broke, camming is not exactly a get rich rich quickly scheme, sure some models manage to catch a big tipper at the beginning, but the normal way is to built up a following over many hours and hopefully make some tips in the process.....

Maybe spent some time watching models you consider comparable to yourself, like models with less then 1000 followers to get an idea about pricing of privates and flashes and see how many members spent tokens on them...

I don't want to get rich or anything! I'm just a college student who could really use some money to spare. 200 a month, maybe? That'd definitely be enough to cover a new webcam, a couple of textbooks and going to the movies once or twice. It's just that i'm on the bare minimum right now, this laptop is from 2010 haha

And I've actually had a hard time finding models with little followers, as of writing this every girl on the absolute last page of chaturbate has at least 1700 ;;; I aimed for similar prices to them though

You may want to put some picks of yourself or your toys if any on your profile. It helps member understand your bodyshape and reduces the amount of "stand up" requests. Also are you using any tags at all?

I don't want to get rich or anything! I'm just a college student who could really use some money to spare. 200 a month, maybe? That'd definitely be enough to cover a new webcam, a couple of textbooks and going to the movies once or twice. It's just that i'm on the bare minimum right now, this laptop is from 2010 haha

And I've actually had a hard time finding models with little followers, as of writing this every girl on the absolute last page of chaturbate has at least 1700 ;;; I aimed for similar prices to them though

What you could do is :
Check the App " Roll the dice" and make a game quite cheap like 10 tokens or so......

See it as a promotion, it encourages members to spent at leasts some tokens in your room and if they like what they see maybe they take you private.....
Camming is a lot trial and error you need to find out what works for your personality and also for the members you attract...

• Helpful!
Reactions: htg00
You may want to put some picks of yourself or your toys if any on your profile. It helps member understand your bodyshape and reduces the amount of "stand up" requests. Also are you using any tags at all?
Welp I didn't get any of those requests, but that's a good idea! I'll try that. Tags I assume are what you write on the room's topic? I'm not sure what to use besides new! Everyone's got a gig and I'm still figuring this out

30 is nothing, especially for someone showing nothing too eye-catching. I'd expect 30 just to let the room build.

Tags I assume are what you write on the room's topic? I'm not sure what to use besides new! Everyone's got a gig and I'm still figuring this out
go to the women's tab and look at the tags for women's cams.

#18 #teen #feet #petite #ass #dildo #hot #longhair ... anything you are/seem, show, or do. doesn't really matter how many you use, just don't use fake ones (like Lovense/Ohmibod if you don't have one)

I don't want to get rich or anything! I'm just a college student who could really use some money to spare. 200 a month, maybe?
what're you willing to do on cam? you could probably make way more than that (I haven't seen you or seen you perform, so it's hard to say, but girls can make that in a day).

That'd definitely be enough to cover a new webcam, a couple of textbooks and going to the movies once or twice. It's just that i'm on the bare minimum right now, this laptop is from 2010 haha
textbooks, yes.
don't waste your earnings reinvesting (what good is a new webcam except for camming...so it's kind of a silly use of your money) until you know what kind of money you can make on it, then you can decide what's a fair percentage for fresh new props/clothes/decor/etc.

several people offered to buy me a new cam before I finally let one of my regs do it for me with an amazon e-giftcard (safer than any other options).

I've never seen anyone get less than, idk, 40. I feel like it went as bad as I could go, so I needed to evacuate and rethink my strategy.

in the first 30 minutes of the first day? man, I made almost nothing my first day. I'd have never have guessed how quickly I'd get to that first 1000, I'd have never guessed people would be willing to buy me a cam and an expensive toy (like, 1000tks worth) and photo sets and private shows and what have you, based on that first day. I was nervous, I didn't do much. I didn't have audio or face on cam, it was a huge waste of a 'new' status day.

Actually for comparison, mind you the lighting is shit and I'm back from the gym but, as far as image quality goes it should work
Phone
Webcam
Literally taken with two seconds of difference in the same spot (phone is 1 inch higher but right above the built in camera

you look nice but ordinary. plain Jane. since there's so much competition, 'different' can be good, but normal is fine. sex appeal is more than just what a photo of you looks like, especially in camming. just like in dating, it's hugely about personality/emotional appeal, the whole performance of a fun person to be with, not just how their portrait looks.
that's fine, though... 'girl nextdoor' is a good look. you look petite, along with youth that's always good (hell, I've seen people drooling over someone who almost certainly has a severe eating disorder). I'd opt for more fitting/skimpy clothing if possible as a compromise to not taking clothes off--so people can get a sense of what they're missing (that top and matching choker in your avatar is really sexy and certainly makes you appear more playful than the pics above). I can't tell what your tits or waist is like from that cam angle. if possible, give people a more distant view (one of the downsides of using your laptop cam, along with not being able to use the angle that works best for your face shape and body build). The ponytail and floral top kinda look so innocent that maybe you won't even do anything all that naughty on cam. innocent can be good, but, if it's not working for ya, try something else. maybe a cliche college girl look, baggy sweater no pants. hair down might be worth trying, gives you something to play with in a feminine manner when all you're giving people is a waist-up seated view of you doing nothing.
my overall impression, along with the terribly dull pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey style decoration of your room, is that you may have been skyping with grandma at the time. it doesn't look like you're engaged in an attempt to arouse the money out of people's wallets
Contrary to lot of girls on this forum who're from other cam sites with different business models, I'd recommend putting your best foot forward while you're new. while they might call it 'giving it away for free'. No one knows, yet, how nice your butt or legs or feet or pussy or tits or whatever are. rather than the 'don't give it away for free' approach, you may want to try showing more than just your face--whatever you think you can sell the best. There's one model I follow who almost exclusively cams on her knees with a laptop on the bed and a camera behind her...that great butt-shot draws in her audience, and her Lush is all that gets her tips because she never dances or performs or shows her face or does dildo blowjobs or fingers herself or anything... with no Lush, you'd want to choose some options like those mentioned to make a goal after you've drawn people in. One of my favorite models can get my attention with little more than how she uses her tongue, doesn't matter what she's wearing, her face is just so gorgeous and her expression so delighted and naughty -- if you can do great sexyface stuff, by all means, put your face forward as your best foot. But if you think something else can do better, then use something else, it's like putting your strongest argument first, your best evidence first, your most compelling reason first, you want to give people something that's a wow-factor enough to 'follow' even if there's not enough of a show happening in the time they have available to wait to see where you take it. Don't waste your opportunity to sell someone on the idea of you by just presenting them with something average and forgettable. You show them a nice ass they're still gunna wanna see it naked. you show them a nice pussy they're still gunna wanna see it wet and played with. I'm definitely not saying do public cumshows (I'd sooner give up and try another day than do a cumshow without reaching my target goal, and these days I always do them in a ticket show, however cheap the ticket, just to give a middle finger to the piracy bots who upload your public cam stream to their website, and let the greys know that they may get an awful lot by freeloading, but they'll never get everything--tippers appreciate that), just see if you can dangle a more alluring lure :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the camworld @htg00 ! It's not always easy starting out but a couple of suggestions:
  • When I first started I used my phone as a webcam for a while and did alright. Obviously an actual external webcam is preferred, but you can make it work! Your phone definitely looks better, just make sure it's not choppy and dropping frames, mine did that sometimes. As long as you're making connections with people and putting on a good show then quality isn't everything. But... definitely see if you can get a cheap webcam at some point if you stick with it. :)
  • Add to your profile a bit. Good starter tiplist, but the more options the better!
  • Since you have a phone with decent quality maybe think of making some vids to sell? You can sell them for tokens on stream and also upload them on clipsites and maybe make some extra income.
  • Do you have a twitter? If you do then make sure to post that you're getting online and some promo twitters can help bring traffic. @LewdPromoter and @bearhugcamgirls are two that I have used. Make sure to put in your tweets that you're new, a lot of people like newbies and will want to check you out.
  • You posted your link in Spanish, do you only speak Spanish on cam? It's great you're bilingual and can help but I think you'll make a better reach with English speakers.
  • Lighting is important! Maybe get a lamp behind your cam or a desk lamp if you have them? Overhead lights are the devil imo. Make sure your face and body are well lit!
  • 30 minutes isn't enough, give it a few hours. I've been at this almost three years and sometimes it still takes me an hour or two to get my first tips.
  • Is your audio good? That's important too!
  • Have a good look around this forum and try to get verified as a camgirl if you can, there is a lot of good information here. ^_^
  • If Chaturbate doesn't work out then don't be afraid to try other camsites like MyFreeCams or Streamate.
Hope that helps!

Hi! I'll ask you to take everything I say with a grain of salt (maybe more than a grain), because I've only been camming for a couple weeks now. And I'm non nude.

I treat my room like a party, and I try to not look like I'm waiting for anything or anyone. Just start and have fun and when a person comes in, grey or not, talk and laugh. I don't have as much perspective into the nude side of things, so Ill keep my mouth shut there. But my favorite models, regardless of what they're doing or their nude status, are also very personable in their broadcasts.

Also, during my first week I was on every single day for 5-6 hours at a time and that definitely helped take advantage of the new tag.

Anyway, I'm regurgitating a lot of advice that's been said, but I thought I'd give my perspective anyway! Best luck!

• Helpful!
you look nice but ordinary. plain Jane.

This is a MUCH nicer opinion than I expected, specially from those pics!!! That's basically my worst look possible (no makeup, ponytail, shitty gym clothes, bad light) so i'm actually surprised at that assesment haha

On cam I'm trying for a nicer pose, but I'm still pretty awkward. I've been recommended to put some body pics on the profile, or an album for sale for cheap? But yeah I know I can't do just face. I'm worried about not knowing how to do PMs or start private shows, I still need to figure that out!

(also sorry idk how to mention people without quoting)

Welcome to the camworld @htg00 ! It's not always easy starting out but a couple of suggestions:
  • When I first started I used my phone as a webcam for a while and did alright.
  • Add to your profile a bit. Good starter tiplist, but the more options the better!
  • Since you have a phone with decent quality maybe think of making some vids to sell?
  • You posted your link in Spanish, do you only speak Spanish on cam?
  • Is your audio good? That's important too!
I would've replied without quoting haha but I'll answer more detailedly like this. I'm relieved to hear about the phone, I know it's unconventional but I hope it'll do for now!

Re: tips and vids, I basically lack imagination, I need to do more research and get ideas because i have nooo idea what people might be interested on!

I actualy only use English, but since Spanish is my native language I'm a bit embarrased of my accent. That, and stage fright, ends up with me just saying hi and typing the rest u_u because of that, the audio seems a bit irrelevant. I hope I'll feel less awkward with time!

Also, during my first week I was on every single day for 5-6 hours at a time and that definitely helped take advantage of the new tag.

I knowwwwww I'll do my best to stay on for longer!!! I'm gonna make a new account (I think I said so elsewhere) because with my nerves I ended up wasting the new tag.

-

Also everyone thanks a lot for the advice and support, everything's super helpful!

I actualy only use English, but since Spanish is my native language I'm a bit embarrased of my accent. That, and stage fright, ends up with me just saying hi and typing the rest u_u because of that, the audio seems a bit irrelevant. I hope I'll feel less awkward with time!

I knowwwwww I'll do my best to stay on for longer!!! I'm gonna make a new account (I think I said so elsewhere) because with my nerves I ended up wasting the new tag.

Also everyone thanks a lot for the advice and support, everything's super helpful!

Regarding audio you should consider playing music you like when you are on cam, I personally don't like a quiet room, as a member if I don't like the music I can mute the room at any time....

Maybe use your current account to check out all the options and apps you are interested in, so that when you do a new account you have the technical side sorted and can focus on your customer.

Reactions: a_haze420
Play with different times. Cam in the morning, afternoon, evening, and if you're like me, during the night. See what works for you best. I know that I usually cam in the wee hours of the morning which has been the most successful for me, but for me, not all days work well. Some days are JUST SLOW. It can be really discouraging, but with time, persistence, and dedication you can build a following. Ive had a lot of viewers come into my room, say nothing, but consistently come in to my room, then eventually out of the blue, they strike up a conversation with me and we eventually become friendly and they become regulars.

• Helpful!
I'm worried about not knowing how to do PMs or start private shows, I still need to figure that out!
I can only tell you my experience.
my CB chat window says 'so and so wants to start a private'.
I decide if it's a good time or not.
Sometimes I PM them to find out what they want (since not everyone reads the bio and knows what my limits are).
if it's a good time (not interrupting a busy room with a good atmosphere and lots of play/talk/tipping), I click accept, it starts (your former audience sees a 'private show' message instead of your live stream, and your cam thumbnail doesn't update from what it last was before accepting the PVT. only the guy paying for PVT sees you, unless you have 'spy shows' allowed, and then it's possible others will take a peak at it).
then I say hi and ask them how they are and what they wanna do, and we go from there. very much just a feeling out process.
I try to keep a bit of a stripper sway goin. doin something nice (flexing, dancing, whatever. there's plenty girls can do (playing with tongue/hair/tits/touching their body, adjusting/teasing with their clothing, etc), to ensure I'm not too boring while they're not asking for anything specific, since they're paying for every second of it. but sometimes they're guys who just wanna sit and chat and they tell you to chill, like 'it's too distracting', and they just know that you have to pay for that kind of one-on-one attention. I've had PMs where I was largely just typing, not even talking. Of course, some people want a private and recorded cumshow of their own, so if you don't do cumshows at PVT rates, you might wanna PM first to make sure they don't get disappointed (being a service industry it always pays to be considerate -- I even apologized profusely and then went through support to reimburse a guy once after a totally innocent misunderstanding about the PM he wanted that I couldn't do, and he opted to let me keep the tks anyway, maybe seeing that it wasn't me trying to scam him out of anything, or liking what little he did get before the misunderstanding came to light -- either way the result is a positive experience of good intentions and professionalism and kindness with all parties involved. Other times it might be like 'ok now do this', and I have to just say 'sorry babe, no [insert request]--that's one of the hard limits* on my bio', and it's simply a no-can-do, buyer-beware type thing, because I did my best to list what I don't do).
*'hard' and 'soft' limits are BDSM jargon for things you're iffy about or never want to do.

another thing for newbs to be aware of, is that 'Skype', 'paypal', and any '@email.com' phrases are blocked by CB -- no one gets an alert 'your message wasn't sent', you just assume it did, unless a lack of response tells you they didn't get it. So, some members aren't aware of this, nor are new models. So, if you ever see someone give you their email line by line
horny
guy
at
gmai
.com
that's why, he's not just weird :p
or if they spell it '5Ky pe' or something like that....it's to avoid the message filter.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions so you don't accidentally agree to something against their terms not realizing it might be a problem. it could get you banned or blackmailed.
a lot of mods will silence greys (no token guys) who ask you for PMs, because usually against-terms arrangements are the only reason they'll try to talk in "private" (I scarequote 'private' because of course CB has a temporary record of all such discussions).

if you put an email in your bio, someone told me you have to put it in the wishlist section so that the word filter doesn't remove it, that way you can write it normally/easily copypasteable. Make sure you're clear about what it's for so that you reserve the right to politely ignore all time-wasting correspondence -- maybe it's an email for giftcards, maybe it's an email to arrange panty sales. whatever. It means it's not just a free offcam contact, but purely for doing business.

Last edited:
  • Helpful!
I'm not a model there but I guess it's all the same so I can tell you that 30min aren't enough. I'm online at least 8h, i have a regular schedule like everyday from Tuesday to Saturday from 6.30am I'm always there and all my members know about that. I talk with everyone, I dance, I tease, I try to get to know all members. I always have music in the background, I dress nicely for my members and, most important, I get to know them. Don't think that you'll make millions in one day. It's not about that! It's about making friends, having fun, learn a lot of things that you never though about.

In my opinion, before you go live again, read articles, tips and tricks and after you do that, go live! :happy: And please, let us know how's it going! Good luck and feel free to ask questions! there are a lot of nice members here that will help you!

• Helpful!
Regarding audio you should consider playing music you like when you are on cam, I personally don't like a quiet room, as a member if I don't like the music I can mute the room at any time....

Maybe use your current account to check out all the options and apps you are interested in, so that when you do a new account you have the technical side sorted and can focus on your customer.

I do the same! Also listening to my music give me something to talk about sing along to etc.

I can only tell you my experience.
my CB chat window says 'so and so wants to start a private'.
I decide if it's a good time or not.
Sometimes I PM them to find out what they want (since not everyone reads the bio and knows what my limits are).
if it's a good time (not interrupting a busy room with a good atmosphere and lots of play/talk/tipping), I click accept, it starts (your former audience sees a 'private show' message instead of your live stream, and your cam thumbnail doesn't update from what it last was before accepting the PVT. only the guy paying for PVT sees you, unless you have 'spy shows' allowed, and then it's possible others will take a peak at it).
then I say hi and ask them how they are and what they wanna do, and we go from there. very much just a feeling out process.
I try to keep a bit of a stripper sway goin. doin something nice (flexing, dancing, whatever. there's plenty girls can do (playing with tongue/hair/tits/touching their body, adjusting/teasing with their clothing, etc), to ensure I'm not too boring while they're not asking for anything specific, since they're paying for every second of it. but sometimes they're guys who just wanna sit and chat and they tell you to chill, like 'it's too distracting', and they just know that you have to pay for that kind of one-on-one attention. I've had PMs where I was largely just typing, not even talking. Of course, some people want a private and recorded cumshow of their own, so if you don't do cumshows at PVT rates, you might wanna PM first to make sure they don't get disappointed (being a service industry it always pays to be considerate -- I even apologized profusely and then went through support to reimburse a guy once after a totally innocent misunderstanding about the PM he wanted that I couldn't do, and he opted to let me keep the tks anyway, maybe seeing that it wasn't me trying to scam him out of anything, or liking what little he did get before the misunderstanding came to light -- either way the result is a positive experience of good intentions and professionalism and kindness with all parties involved. Other times it might be like 'ok now do this', and I have to just say 'sorry babe, no [insert request]--that's one of the hard limits* on my bio', and it's simply a no-can-do, buyer-beware type thing, because I did my best to list what I don't do).
*'hard' and 'soft' limits are BDSM jargon for things you're iffy about or never want to do.

another thing for newbs to be aware of, is that 'Skype', 'paypal', and any '@email.com' phrases are blocked by CB -- no one gets an alert 'your message wasn't sent', you just assume it did, unless a lack of response tells you they didn't get it. So, some members aren't aware of this, nor are new models. So, if you ever see someone give you their email line by line
horny
guy
at
gmai
.com
that's why, he's not just weird :p
or if they spell it '5Ky pe' or something like that....it's to avoid the message filter.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions so you don't accidentally agree to something against their terms not realizing it might be a problem. it could get you banned or blackmailed.
a lot of mods will silence greys (no token guys) who ask you for PMs, because usually against-terms arrangements are the only reason they'll try to talk in "private" (I scarequote 'private' because of course CB has a temporary record of all such discussions).

if you put an email in your bio, someone told me you have to put it in the wishlist section so that the word filter doesn't remove it, that way you can write it normally/easily copypasteable. Make sure you're clear about what it's for so that you reserve the right to politely ignore all time-wasting correspondence -- maybe it's an email for giftcards, maybe it's an email to arrange panty sales. whatever. It means it's not just a free offcam contact, but purely for doing business.

Thank you sooo much! It took me ages to realize I had to PM people at first, and I didn't actually know what the settings for private mean!! This is all super useful, thanks!!!

Reactions: uncoveredmanhole
Status
Not open for further replies.