AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Geo Blocks

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2021
Twitter Username
@D_A_Xmfc
MFC Username
D_A_X
I'm new to the forum so can't post this in the models only forum, but I hope someone can answer it here.

Do you use Geoblock, and if so, what is your reason?

I don't feel a need to conceal my identity as everyone important in my life knows what I do. That being said, I worry about safety and security. I wouldn't want a 'follower' to see me and follow me home or anything weird like that. How do you feel about the geo block and how do you use it?

Thanks!!!!!

GeoBlock is bs as you can use a vpn and it doesn't work any dude that knows anything about internet knows about vpns .... thats just a marketing phrase to trick or make models feel more safe but there are 2 things sure 1 you will have recording all over the internet 2 geoblock doesn't work

I'm new to the forum so can't post this in the models only forum, but I hope someone can answer it here.

I don't feel a need to conceal my identity as everyone important in my life knows what I do. That being said, I worry about safety and security. I wouldn't want a 'follower' to see me and follow me home or anything weird like that. How do you feel about the geo block and how do you use it?

Thanks!!!!!
I don't use Geoblock on SM. I get a better placement without it on. As far as I remember it's part of the SM algorithm for placement and boosts you a lot if you have it off.
What I do for a living is a secret from no one at all.
I had it on for a short time, and I like it better off.

GeoBlock is bs as you can use a vpn and it doesn't work any dude that knows anything about internet knows about vpns .... thats just a marketing phrase to trick or make models feel more safe but there are 2 things sure 1 you will have recording all over the internet 2 geoblock doesn't work

She wasn't asking you. She was asking the models.....

I don't use Geoblock on SM. I get a better placement without it on. As far as I remember it's part of the SM algorithm for placement and boosts you a lot if you have it off.
What I do for a living is a secret from no one at all.
I had it on for a short time, and I like it better off.
That's interesting about the algorithm on SM. (Not sure what geo-block does in that regard on MFC).

Reactions: MarieElise

Thanks!!!!!

Now to answer your question...yes, I use geoblock to block my state. Other people may think it's "b.s.," and that's certainly their prerogative. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for them. I think it's a great option to have, so I use it...and so do plenty of other models. I'd rather not have to deal with men (from my state) spending their entire time in my free chat trying to be slick, looking for clues about where I am, and getting the silly idea in their head that they've got a chance of meeting me just because we're in the same state. 🙄

I also haven't had any more incidents of local people blurting out "Hey, you used to work at _______" in my free chat, or blurting out my IRL nickname. Also not everyone bothers with that vpn stuff that webcamlive mentioned. But even if they do, cam sites have that beautiful thing called the ban (or block) button that can be used on members who are being creeps, asking you one too many questions about your personal info.

Some sites also have a feature where you can block certain words from being said in your chat (Like your real name, for example).

Now to answer your question...yes, I use geoblock to block my state. Other people may think it's "b.s.," and that's certainly their prerogative. Everyone needs to do what they feel is best for them. I think it's a great option to have, so I use it...and so do plenty of other models. I'd rather not have to deal with men (from my state) spending their entire time in my free chat trying to be slick, looking for clues about where I am, and getting the silly idea in their head that they've got a chance of meeting me just because we're in the same state. 🙄

I also haven't had any more incidents of local people blurting out "Hey, you used to work at _______" in my free chat, or blurting out my IRL nickname. Also not everyone bothers with that vpn stuff that webcamlive mentioned. But even if they do, cam sites have that beautiful thing called the ban (or block) button that can be used on members who are being creeps, asking you one too many questions about your personal info.

Some sites also have a feature where you can block certain words from being said in your chat (Like your real name, for example).
First of all, THANK YOU for responding to so many posts on here because I've already learned so much from you. You're wonderful for that and I really appreciate it! I agree that even though some people have VPN's even a little bit of security is better than nothing. My biggest issue with NOT blocking was that I could encounter someone that lives near me and could find my home....because that happens to every day women that DON'T show their bits on line! Sooooo......I'm with you on this. Geoblock ON. THANKS AGAIN!!!

First of all, THANK YOU for responding to so many posts on here because I've already learned so much from you. You're wonderful for that and I really appreciate it! I agree that even though some people have VPN's even a little bit of security is better than nothing. My biggest issue with NOT blocking was that I could encounter someone that lives near me and could find my home....because that happens to every day women that DON'T show their bits on line! Sooooo......I'm with you on this. Geoblock ON. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Exactly. People don't seem to realize the shit that women have to deal with...not just on cam, but in real life too. And this crap with strange men telling you to "Smile." *Sigh* Go away.....

I've seen a guy on the bus harassing this woman for her phone number, and she kept telling him no...and she was really nice about it. Then he goes "Aw, come on. Why you so mean?" 🙄 I wanted to curse him out so badly, and tell him to leave her the fuck alone. I kept thinking Please don't let him get off at the same bus stop as her. Luckily he got off the bus before she did. I cannot stand creepy dudes like this (both in real life and on cam) who act like they're entitled to whatever it is they're asking of a woman.

This guy I used to be friends with in high school has been obsessed with me, and is one of the people I referenced in my earlier post. Some years ago I Google searched my real name and found that this creep had made a Photobucket photo album with pics of me, and it said my real name and my town. I know it was him because he had his full name right there listed as the creator of the photo album. I had to have Photobucket take it down. Prior to me using geoblock, this dude had found me on ImLive years ago...*Block*. Found me on MyFreeCams, and kept calling me by my IRL nickname in the public chat (And MFC Mailed me, saying that he misses hangin' out with me and my son)...*Block*. Subscribed to me on OnlyFans last year...*Block*. E-mailed my personal e-mail address (I'd forgotten that he had my e-mail address) to ask how I'm doing...*Block*.

There are reasons why a model may want to use geoblocks other then to prevent bots recording. Maybe the model doesn't want a family member seeing them for their own peace of mind? Out about her job or not. Everyone is on the internet. No longer people familiar with tech. Most boomers don't know what a vpn is. let alone an ip address.

On some camsites, if a member uses a VPN they risk getting their account suspended. Soooo there is that too.

I use them because they decrease the chances that a family member or local person I see at my gym etc will stumble across me.

Just because they aren't fool proof doesn't mean they aren't helpful. I do think sites need to do a better job explaining to models that geoblocking isn't a guarantee of safety

Most boomers don't know what a vpn is. let alone an ip address.
I experienced this to be true. I'm in my 40's and when I talk to people of my age or older about computer stuff, I just as well could be talking in Chinese. I'm pretty computer knowledgable but I've been using them from a young age. People in their 20's and 30's grew up with that stuff but they don't visit camsites as much.
I never felt the need to use VPN's. There's thousands of models online every day, why go through all this hassle just to see a few more?

There are reasons why a model may want to use geoblocks other then to prevent bots recording. Maybe the model doesn't want a family member seeing them for their own peace of mind? Out about her job or not. Everyone is on the internet. No longer people familiar with tech. Most boomers don't know what a vpn is. let alone an ip address.

On some camsites, if a member uses a VPN they risk getting their account suspended. Soooo there is that too.
Many boomers do know more than I do, they started using computers in the early 1980s, and mobile phones. Excel 1A in 'ordinary' admin roles, back then manuals 'Excel for dummies' did not exist users taught themselves. Worked their way through ever since, second nature and know it from the ground up.

Reactions: silentm0de
Many boomers do know more than I do, they started using computers in the early 1980s, and mobile phones. Excel 1A in 'ordinary' admin roles, back then manuals 'Excel for dummies' did not exist users taught themselves. Worked their way through ever since, second nature and know it from the ground up.
sure. there are a small number of boomers who do know about computers, but that's a very very small privileged handful. Most tend to only know the basics, or what programs they were trained in. those mobile phones in the '80s were bricks with a dial pad. nowhere near as complex as they are today or in the early 2000s. not to mention owning a computer was stupid expensive in comparison to today. A basic computer in 1980 could cost $1,500 then, but with the inflation rate, really that cost would be similar to $5,000.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
There are a lot of "well trained" computer people (they know what they are taught), and well trained rarely beats the gifted and/or ones that actually understand it. Few of them have any idea what is actually going on. And that is even true with the younger generation, they are trained on different things (VPN's and such) but don't really know what is going to make it work. I am old, and I deal with people on a daily basis that are well trained and clueless about the simplest parts of how the magic actually works. Training can give the appearance of being a good computer person, but often it is only training and not understanding. I might have to try watching via a tunnel that i have connected to another state and see if any new models show up.

There are a lot of "well trained" computer people (they know what they are taught), and well trained rarely beats the gifted and/or ones that actually understand it. Few of them have any idea what is actually going on. And that is even true with the younger generation, they are trained on different things (VPN's and such) but don't really know what is going to make it work. I am old, and I deal with people on a daily basis that are well trained and clueless about the simplest parts of how the magic actually works. Training can give the appearance of being a good computer person, but often it is only training and not understanding. I might have to try watching via a tunnel that i have connected to another state and see if any new models show up.
I taught myself in the mid-1990s after making a hash of it on the IT course at college, followed by hiding from it at University. Finally got to a point where it was essential so took myself to a computer room with large flask of coffee, every night over a Christmas holiday. Then gained more experience in a job I had directly related to the internet.

Just because computers were around, doesn't mean everyone of that age knows a ton about them. My mom graduated high school in 81, and at that point, taking calculus was required before taking a computer class, at least at her high school, so it wasn't something that was accessible for everyone to learn.

Just wanted to be informative and throw this out there for the OP's and others sake...

It's not just about Boomers and VPN usage.

One of my first posts here was about a women who I once worked with. She decided to become a webcam model after moving away(I didn't know this at the time). One day(this was in 2017) I was browsing a webcam site on my new cell based internet device( a "hotspot" wireless device) and saw a performer who caught my eye, so I went into her room and was very surprised to see it was her. Using my telco's wired internet service I never once saw this model before on this site.(she had our state geo-blocked) From what I learned in that post, wireless hotspot devices and cell phones can assign IP's that are not assigned to your specific geo-location - meaning that if a member is accessing a cam site while using their phone in, say Florida, their assigned IP could show that they are in Nebraska, when they are not. So if a model is located in Florida, and has Florida geo-blocked, the member on the cell based device might still be able to see her depending on their assigned IP location.

With more and more cam sites implementing mobile access, the chances of a model being seen by someone they know is much greater now than it was just a few years ago. Especially with social network sharing and the "7 degrees of Kevin Bacon" effect factored in.

I'm also seeing a rise in the number of model's who are using their own cell phones to live stream to cam sites. Considering that most cell phones have their own GPS locator built in, there are also safety concerns that a model should be aware of when doing this. Some phones make it easy to disable the GPS location feature, others can have the feature hidden deep inside the settings. Some may not allow it to be disabled at all.

Just food for thought. Stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.