AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Greeting Members: Yay or Nay?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Do you like it when models greet you by name as you enter their room?

• Yes

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • Only if I'm a regular

Votes: 66 53.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
emma_skye12 said:
Well on Streamate, the members can't see who is who most of the time. Mainly because I 99% of the time have it on Classic Chat.

I don't always greet people by their name because if they say "Hey" and then I say "Hey how's it going*smile*", it doesn't usually matter who said "Hey" because then it's like a chain reaction and people start talking to me and I love to talk.

So I don't know, maybe on MFC it matters but not on Streamate too much.

True but I guarantee if you say "Hi *insert member name here*" 99.9% of the time, they will leave even if they aren't visible. If I decide to randomly greet, I'm generally safe with only saying hi, without a name. Then they can decide to whom I was aiming the hi. Even then, though they normally don't respond lol, course SM isn't exactly the most social of camsites either. I think that's mainly due to so many not showing in chat, so it's hard to follow the conversation anyways. I think it's funny how due to that many assumed I was dual camming (which I never have, because of the lag it would create), when in fact it was simply that they couldn't see what the member was typing to me.

Another idea could be just to throw out a general welcome to the whole room, as in... "hi everyone, welcome to the room... how's everyone doing tonight?" ... then wait for members to chime back. It would be a general greeting for everyone, no individual member would feel uncomfortable by being put under a spotlight and yet still allow regular peeps to feel recognised.

:twocents-02cents:

I personally like it. Only if theyre regulars and contribute with positive vibes I think its great.

I don't mind it personally. It's welcoming, and shows that the model is present and engaged in the room. And a simple "hi" doesn't obligate me to a full-on conversation if I'm not feeling chatty.

But I'll add my vote to the other people who suggested a general greeting. Every second or third person who enters the room, just a "hi guys, welcome to the room" would work pretty well. They know you've acknowledged them without putting any pressure on.

Then you can go back to chatting up the people who are talking. If the new people want to jump in, they can.

I greet them only if they're my mods or my fan club members . I feel a bit awkward saying hi to the others first , even if they're regulars from my room .

It depends. On streamate if my room is dead, I'll just give a simple wave or say 'hi' to a new person in the room. If you're super hyped about it though, it tends to scare members off, cause yeah, it is putting them on the spot a little bit. The super chipper greetings are for my regs though, and most like that I remember them and take the time to say hello.
I know when I go on MFC, the girls I watch for the first time that call me out by name or PM immediately makes me feel awkward and sometimes I assume it's a 'tip of GTFO' convo that's starting. When I tip a model, I like to be a little familiar with them first. But if it's a girl I regularly watch, I hello from them is always nice.
Just a little perspective from both sides.

Reactions: fandango
When I had "new model" status, I would usually try to say hi to everyone individually, but that got difficult as the room count grew & grew. Now I just say something like "hey newcomers, welcome to my room!" or something else that includes everybody

I only work on streamate lately and I've always greeted everyone (unless a bunch of people show up at once). I also get a lot of cool screen names coming to my room so I start conversations this way. I do wonder what would happen if I didn't greet everyone though. All I know is that even as a camgirl I get hella excited when a model acknowledges my existence. I know their game and still I am not immune. That's saying something right there.

Reactions: SandyPanz
Another idea could be just to throw out a general welcome to the whole room, as in... "hi everyone, welcome to the room... how's everyone doing tonight?" ... then wait for members to chime back. It would be a general greeting for everyone, no individual member would feel uncomfortable by being put under a spotlight and yet still allow regular peeps to feel recognised.

:twocents-02cents:
Wow it never even occurred to me that someone would feel put on the spot. I totally assumed that everyone was a whore for attention like myself. I'm gonna start experimenting with different ways to greet, etc.

It doesn't bother me one bit but it does sort of force me into a social interaction. One of my fav models seems to random look through the list and say hello to premiums It seems to work well for her.

The only version of this that is a bit annoying is when in a low traffic eastern/central European models room and they instantly start hitting you with PMs in hard to understand English and internet slang.

This is a great question. I voted yes as I think people like to feel noticed or important to you but yet again I have seen people leave after I say ''hello so and so'' so I still have that doubt that maybe some people just want to pop in for a look and nobody bother them.

Generally if I'm in a room and I want to talk to the model then I will. If a model greeted me without me saying something first, I'd feel like I either have to talk or leave and in most cases that means leaving. Even in rooms where I'm a regular, if I didn't say hi when I came in then I probably have a reason for not talking, although I wouldn't leave if was greeted in that case.

Reactions: Tigerqueen
I generally greet my regulars, and if there's someone with a funny name or something I might go, "..*insert name here*, that's awesome! Props to you for coming up with that!"
Personally I find it a bit tedious to try and call all the members by name when they come in, I'd rather just try and carry on a conversation with whoever and if someone wants to jump in they can.

Reactions: OldSheriff
I used to greet everyone when I started, but it seemed to make them leave so now I just do the whole 'don't speak until spoken too'. On that note, I always greet my regs though. Just not the new peoples.

I've had the most luck with this approach. I tried greeting everyone individually for the first time the other night just because I was curious to see if it would make a difference and it seemed to scare them away FAST.

Streamate is different, yes. Some of my best regulars are very private type of guys, even when they take me exclusive they don't disclose much about themselves. This tells me they want to keep things private and respectful. THOSE guys I never acknowledge in guest chat. I respect their privacy. (plus they are never in guest chat longer than a minute before taking me private) Men don't always want to hear a woman screeching "HI Honey!" but eye contact, a wink and smile is much easier on the eyes & ears.

If it's a model I visit regularly/semi regularly then a hello is always nice. If it's my first time in the room then it kinda feels like being called out, which isn't overly fun.
I never thought that it might make people feel like they were being called out. I am going to try to only say hi to my regulars form now on unless someone says hi first. I don't want to make people uncomfortable in my room.

I say hi to people randomly. If you were hanging out with me in person and I hadn't met you before, I'd say it too. I'm the person in the elevator that will smile and say hello. I don't expect you to tell me your life story, I understand you might not want to chat and you don't have to. But if me saying hi to you makes you leave, we probably wouldn't get along anyway. And a simple hi back shouldn't be torture. Maybe I'm losing potential tippers, who knows, but my chat is usually lively.

I say hi to people randomly. If you were hanging out with me in person and I hadn't met you before, I'd say it too. I'm the person in the elevator that will smile and say hello.
I dont think the elevator is a good comparison. Its more a social group, maybe like a teacher in a class talking to one kid while the others watch.

Maybe I'm losing potential tippers.
Yes, I imagine you are, especially as you appeal to the more intellectual knowledgeable types that in general seem more socially awkward.

Read this post to get an alternate perspective.

I dont think the elevator is a good comparison. Its more a social group, maybe like a teacher in a class talking to one kid while the others watch.

Yes, I imagine you are, especially as you appeal to the more intellectual knowledgeable types that in general seem more socially awkward.

Read this post to get an alternate perspective.
Yeah, I mostly do what that guy says he doesn't mind. I just am talking in chat and then glance over at the list and pick a few names to say hi to. I've also had guys say that me saying hi first helped, because it was easier than them having to initiate. And my regulars are awesome :) and can be a tight knit group that may seem "hard" to break into as others have said. So me initiating with a hey, gave them an in to the conversation. It may turn away some, but opens it up for others that aren't shy in that particular way. If I'm at a party and don't know anyone, I'm hoping anyone says hey (or for your example, if it's the teacher calling on me bc yes I am a nerd and wanted to answer the question but was too shy to raise my hand). Everyone is different. But it's just my style.

As an MFC member, when I'm creepin', I feel a little put on the spot when a model in a low-population room calls me b name the second I enter the room.

Therefore, I try hard not to do it in my room, which is usually just a handful of premiums and some basics. I'll sometimes just say, "Hey, guys. How's it going?" or something equally vague. I also agree with a previous poster (I forget who!) who mentioned that if someone with a funny name or a fandom-related name comes in, I will comment on it - but I will NOT say "YOU have a cool username." Rather, I will say, "Haha, [username] has a great pun in his name! I love it!" and see if that guy talks.

Reactions: Entertainer33
I never really thought of this but it actually kind of makes sense! Recently I've noticed that when I greet people they've been leaving... makes me so sad but I guess i'll try only greeting regulars..

Reactions: Sevrin
I think that on sites like MyFreeCams where there is more of a hangin' out/chitchat Cheers atmosphere (as HiGirlsRHot put it in a previous post), a lot of regulars enjoy being greeted by their screen name when they enter the room. And sometimes the other members will greet them too, and be like "Hey, Sam! Where ya been, man?" "Hey, Woody! I've been out of town."

In the past, I've seen members on here say that it's uncomfortable for them to be greeted by screen name when they enter a model's room. They feel put on the spot, and probably feel like the next thing out of her mouth will be her asking for (or demanding) a tip. On high traffic sites like MyFreeCams and Streamate, you're gonna have A LOT of guys popping in and out your room (that sound when an SM member enters that chat used to get on my nerves...lol).

I think, to be on the safe side, if you want to greet members, just do a general "Hey, guys!" when you first start broadcasting. And then every so often you can ask the room "How was everyone's weekend?" or "So what have you guys been up to?" The talkative members will probably answer back, and get a conversation going.

I don't mind it, but I can see how it can get a little tedious for the model. Especially when people are in and out in 2 seconds. I think some people just prefer to be an observer until they kind of get a feel for how your room is.

One thing I picked up from this site is to say "Hi" in free chat on MFC when I enter a room. It doesn't hurt anyone and can lead to fun and feeling included. I always try to beat the model in saying hello before they notice me. :) So I voted yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.