AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How I became a camgirl, why I do it, and how much I make

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mila_

Inactive Cam Model
Apr 3, 2015
5 miles away
onlyfans.com
Twitter Username
@mmmilarky_
MFC Username
mila_
Chaturbate Username
mila_
In this video I tell my own story as a camgirl: how I started camming, why I still cam after so many years, how much I make, and what happened to me when I got outed to my family and friends very publicly. It was not an easy video to make but I wanted to reclaim my story and tell it on my own terms.

I was about to post this in the models-only section of the forums, but then I thought my story could be both a cautionary tale and an inspirational thing for models starting out, so I decided to post it publicly instead. These are only my very personal experiences with camming and how it completely changed my life. If you enjoy the video please say so in the thread or share the video, it would mean a lot to me.

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story. I can only imagine that it was very difficult to recount many of those memories, let alone to share them publicly. It was incredibly emotional, and educational and inspiring. I really enjoyed listening. I love your perspective on your whole experience. ❤

Reactions: Mila_
"When I turned 18, the country did a 180 turn."
"worrying about nothing, to red lines, power outages, your family factory has been expropriated by the sate"
"I would do anything not to go back."

74c.gif

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story. I can only imagine that it was very difficult to recount many of those memories, let alone to share them publicly. It was incredibly emotional, and educational and inspiring. I really enjoyed listening. I love your perspective on your whole experience. ❤

I am so happy it came across as inspiring rather than dark... I tried to make it a positive video in spite of the darker moments, I am happy you liked it

Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

In movies and literature industries they say the best stories are those which include emotion, whether they are dark or comedy.
Your recount of what you lived through is definitely a good story.
And also interesting.

Thank you for sharing it publicly.

Very interesting story, @Mila_ Thank you for sharing, and while it has it's down moments from your experiences, I see it as a positive video.

Admittedly, it took me a couple of times to watch it due to length. But, am glad I did. :)

Thank you so much for sharing this @Mila_ and at the same time I’m so sorry you had to go through this.

It’s truly inspiring that you’ve become an independent and smart woman. Completely self made and in control of her life.

Something that can only be considered as a role model to other young women.

Reactions: NotYou and Mila_
Actually I have a question. You mentioned you did blogging for a while. Was there a reason you stopped or chose camming over blogging? As I know you also had your success in that area too. @Mila_

Actually I have a question. You mentioned you did blogging for a while. Was there a reason you stopped or chose camming over blogging? As I know you also had your success in that area too. @Mila_

Back then (2010-2013) we didn't have the tools available today, so we didn't have Patreon or any other subscription methods for people to pay a monthly fee for content or support. Even if we had those, everything was so new people weren't used to the idea of paying independent creators for their content, it took years to arrive to where we are today. Same with instagram, I had a nice following on instagram but the concept of instagram paid advertisement was unheard of. I also didn't want to litter my blog with Adsense because it's so ugly and my audience was Spanish so the ad to revenue ratio was dismal. So even though I had a huge audience my options to monetise my content were very limited. I remember I got contacted by publishing houses, they offered me a deal. They wanted all publishing rights for the book that I was writing, both digital and physical in exchange for 4000 euros with a 5% cut on the profits and they asked me for the 40k subscriber mailing list I had so they could sell them my ebook. Laughable and utterly depressing. They made me travel for the meeting too and wasted my time.

What I came up with was the idea of pre-selling ebooks. I would announce a publication date, they would pay 10 euros in advance and receive updates on the process of writing the book, I would send them emails with parts of the research and pics, and stuff that wasn't going to be included in the book. It was a success, but obviously it didn't hold a candle to camming in terms of long term income. I would have had to publish a book every 4 to 6 months to even out with camming and that was just impossible to do because I also had to keep writing articles for my blog and updating social media. It took me about a year to write a book that was average in length and quality.

The main reason I quit doing that though is people were extremely rude. When I announced my first book pre-sale I got the first blowback from "fans". Up until that point I had spent all my spare time, literally all of it, writing for free on my blog, I posted daily, really informative, thought out and well written posts, they had been enjoying my content for a year. They were vocal in the comment section, and I thought these were the people who would buy my book, right? Finally, a chance to get some exclusive content in exchange for a measly 10 euros support, the cost of a box of Coke. WRONG! a chunk of the audience got PISSED. They claimed I was trying to "sell the milk before I had the cow", that it would be a scam, that I was a fraud and they weren't stupid, etc. The second blowback was from the people who actually bought the book. Some of them figured that since part of the deal was they would receive periodical emails with content from me that this mean we were now pen pals. They would write me long emails with their problems expecting a response believing since they paid me 10 euros that meant I was their therapist and when I didn't reply they would get extremely butthurt and call me a scammer on social media. Some people had strict junk mail filters activated and thought they hadn't received any updates and also called me a scammer. If this happened today I would laugh it off but I was 24, and it really hurt my feelings. Back then there wasn't a functioning "report" button on Twitter either so whatever they said about you was going to be there forever even if it was a lie. I had literal lynching mobs just looking at whatever I posted or said that day to literally bash me 24/7. I wasn't used to that kind of attention, and it made me dread myself.

So when I started camming and I realised I had complete control over what people said and did in my own chatroom it felt very liberating. I also was planning on keeping up my writing career, my idea is I would write a book about my experiences as a camgirl and use that for my blog and my audience, part of my interest in camming was from a research angle. But all of that obviously fell apart when I got outed and everything fell apart. I disappeared from civilian internet (closed my blog, social media, etc) for a year or so. I have gone back a couple of times but for very different reasons... I never stay because the same principles still hold true.

Last edited:
@Mila_ Thank you for sharing this. Jeez, that’s some kind of experience. Especially at 24 that’s pretty young to receive that kind of come back.

Do you feel having a business outside this industry tends to attract more rude people or self entitled people? VS the men and how they treat us in this industry as a sex worker?

Do you not feel your own book is still not an option now? I mean you have such an interesting journey that’s so raw and real. I see people being very interested in this.

@Mila_ Thank you for sharing this. Jeez, that’s some kind of experience. Especially at 24 that’s pretty young to receive that kind of come back.

Do you feel having a business outside this industry tends to attract more rude people or self entitled people? VS the men and how they treat us in this industry as a sex worker?

Do you not feel your own book is still not an option now? I mean you have such an interesting journey that’s so raw and real. I see people being very interested in this.

It's not so much that vanilla internet attracts more rude people... I think there are the same proportion of assholes in both worlds, the difference is on cams you actually have control over what people can say "in your turf". We have tools. We can ban them, kick them out, delete their rude comments, whatever. On civilian internet you are much less protected. And also, people are the nastiest when they believe they are doing you a favor. So... adult content clients expect to pay for what they get and they feel in a position of inferiority because the power is clearly in our hands. But when you are dealing with people in vanilla environments they feel like they *shouldnt be paying* for your content and they are *doing you a favor* so their entitlement and expectation is sky high, at the same time they feel like an equal to you, especially if they witnessed you from your beginnings and saw you get popular.

I am not sure I have the time to write the book or what I would put in it. I wouldn't want the book to be any sort of "how to cam manual" and I also don't want the book to be sensationalist garbage that capitalises on "freak" experiences... it would be very hard for me to write a book because I would like to make justice to the camming world and its very hard to get the tone right. For instance.. on my video above, I tried to explain things in terms a random youtube viewer would understand without dumbing it all down so much the cam viewer would feel like I am giving him a puppet show explanation... and still, someone said on the comments the video came across as me trying to set myself apart from hardcore models like I looked down on them which is 100% absolutely NOT how I feel about things. So you see, its very easy to come across in a way that you don't feel represents either reality or your feelings.

It's not so much that vanilla internet attracts more rude people... I think there are the same proportion of assholes in both worlds, the difference is on cams you actually have control over what people can say "in your turf". We have tools. We can ban them, kick them out, delete their rude comments, whatever. On civilian internet you are much less protected. And also, people are the nastiest when they believe they are doing you a favor. So... adult content clients expect to pay for what they get and they feel in a position of inferiority because the power is clearly in our hands. But when you are dealing with people in vanilla environments they feel like they *shouldnt be paying* for your content and they are *doing you a favor* so their entitlement and expectation is sky high, at the same time they feel like an equal to you, especially if they witnessed you from your beginnings and saw you get popular.

I am not sure I have the time to write the book or what I would put in it. I wouldn't want the book to be any sort of "how to cam manual" and I also don't want the book to be sensationalist garbage that capitalises on "freak" experiences... it would be very hard for me to write a book because I would like to make justice to the camming world and its very hard to get the tone right. For instance.. on my video above, I tried to explain things in terms a random youtube viewer would understand without dumbing it all down so much the cam viewer would feel like I am giving him a puppet show explanation... and still, someone said on the comments the video came across as me trying to set myself apart from hardcore models like I looked down on them which is 100% absolutely NOT how I feel about things. So you see, its very easy to come across in a way that you don't feel represents either reality or your feelings.

Interesting. I don’t think you come across as though you was looking down on anyone. The beauty of our career is we get to be who we want to be.
Some with harder limits than others, I think some girls tend to think more soft core models are snobby. Which I don’t believe to be true.
But I can see why the tone of how you explain things could easily become cross wired in a book.

That was such an interesting watch! It's always interesting finding out what made models start/what their start was like, thank you for sharing in such an amazing way!

I'm happy for your success, but so sorry for your struggles. So good to see it's worth it.

I've actually known you for a few years now from different platforms and you've always been so inspiring, even though at times I don't agree with your point of view. I love this series of podcast-sort-of videos you're creating, they feel very intimate and emotional (in a good way). I forgot to subscribe because of your newsletters, will do it asap.

I'm happy for your success, but so sorry for your struggles. So good to see it's worth it.

I've actually known you for a few years now from different platforms and you've always been so inspiring, even though at times I don't agree with your point of view. I love this series of podcast-sort-of videos you're creating, they feel very intimate and emotional (in a good way). I forgot to subscribe because of your newsletters, will do it asap.

Are you a camgirl?

Status
Not open for further replies.