AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How long have you been camming?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2022
Streamate Username
alicemayanderson
Chaturbate Username
alicemayanderson
Hello ACF. I was just sitting here wondering the length of time some of the models I scan through from time to time have been camming? I am coming up on my first year here in November, and while I still dance at the club, I do not plan to stop either any time soon. To add to that, I have also seen a lot of people start and quit before the going gets good. Do majority of the people who sign up never make it past 6 months?

So my question, or topic is rather:
How long have you been camming for?
Do you plan on doing something else in the future?
About an average of how many people do you think start and stop before they have a chance to really get out there?

Much love and respect, no harm be said or done,
waiting for yalls thoughts....
Alice

Hello ACF. I was just sitting here wondering the length of time some of the models I scan through from time to time have been camming? I am coming up on my first year here in November, and while I still dance at the club, I do not plan to stop either any time soon. To add to that, I have also seen a lot of people start and quit before the going gets good. Do majority of the people who sign up never make it past 6 months?

About an average of how many people do you think start and stop before they have a chance to really get out there?

Alice
I started camming in 2010 went balls to the wall and did that full time for a decade. I also made videos to sell while on cam, and in mid 2020 I hit a wall and stopped camming, pivoting to my Onlyfans and clip sites.

I have no plans to leave the adult industry- but I am becoming less comfy on camera as time goes on so I’m exploring behind the camera or industry adjacent roles

I think a lot of models try camming or adult industry work and do one tour or one week on cam and just bail. not for them. Then folks that try to tough it out - but it doesn’t quite work for whatever reason … after the 6 month mark I feel like people stick around longer. I’ve seen a lot of models start then leave then come back years later, or maybe shift to adjacent jobs - phone sex, domme work, clips, full service, fan sites, sexting etc

Do majority of the people who sign up never make it past 6 months?
I think nowadays the majority of people who start doing this stuff may not even make it 3 months! The pandemic made Onlyfans and the like more mainstream than the public was ready for, and TOO many people thought it'd be easy money and jumped in. I doubt half of them made it past 6 weeks.

In genera, before that, I think the average was 6 months for newcomers. Only people who really dedicated themselves to it, or had a mainstream or stripper following that could easily carry over, made it longer.

14 years. Started in Summer of 2009, went HARD until 2014, started to slow down a little bit then until 2018, then slowed down a LOT. Then started Onlyfans in 2019, which picked up during peak covid late 2020, and that became my mainstay going forward.

Nope. My husband and I started investing early in our careers so that we don't have to work ourselves to the bone as long as most. I planned to retire back in 2019 with my 10 year anniversary, but things were still going so well that I've just maintained less hours and effort to carry my weight until later in my 40s, then retire. May do some fun part-time vanilla work to keep myself busy after, but hope to not need to.

as I noted before, camming and adult content creation has gotten so blown out into mainstream that I think things are kinda fucked right now... I can't imagine more than like 5% of new entrants making it out of the gate with more than a month's gas money to show for it.

I have also seen a lot of people start and quit before the going gets good. Do majority of the people who sign up never make it past 6 months?

I think the illusion of easy money lure many in, when in truth this work requires patience and discipline. This month is my 4 year anniversary in the industry. I had been dipping my toes in different types of sex work for a while before that but that's when I officially started it - November 2019. It was an unfortunate coincidence that the pandemic came soon later - fortunate somehow, I guess, because I could work from home. But it was only this year that I started making money beyond bare survival and started to afford living comfortably. I don't think it takes that long for everyone, I had a few disadvantadges and tbh I wasn't very smart lol, but it does require patience so my guess is those who come for the "easy money" soon realize they are better off with a vanilla job.

As for having different plans for the future, no, I don't see myself doing anything else. This is the only job I managed to keep up for years. Health issues and previous socioeconomic conditions made it virtually impossible to keep a vanilla job. I'm so so grateful that get to do this work and even at its worst, it's better than any other job I've ever done, both in terms of activity and money. So I just want to save enough to be able to retire when I need to. I'll do sex work as long as my mind and body can afford to.

ETA - I don't cam anymore, I stopped in April and now I only do one-on-one sessions and clips, but I hope it counts : )

Alice
This month is my 9 year whoriversary lol

I left my full time job in healthcare 9 years ago, to do this full time. I’ve always made enough money when I put the effort in, but my first few years I felt socially isolated. So I got part time, low stress vanilla side jobs. Then I met my partner and got pregnant, at one of them.(lol not during the shift though haha)

I stopped doing vanilla work completely at that time, and have never looked back. I’ve made more each year other than the year of my second pregnancy, where I was mainly bed bound with anemia, blood pressure issues, irritable uterus, and the thing where the morning sickness gets really severe.

I had done some sex work before this, but I have also done bar tending, serving, food service management, hospitality industry, social work and mental health care.

This will be my only job as long as I can physically do it. Although once my kids grow up, I plan to volunteer also.

I really don’t know how many people start and stop, but it seems like a lot. It’s a really demanding job in so many ways and I also believe a lot of people think it’s going to be easy money, and when they realize the amount of consistent work required, can’t handle that. I also think a lot of models make the mistake of tying sales too much to their own personal identity and self esteem. Which is not good psychologically, because sales are constantly up and down. Not something to personalize, just the way it is.

So I think a lot of people aren’t mentally cut out for this, hence the high turnover. It’s been tougher the last two years. High competition field, that requires a pretty grounded, secure and fairly focused personality imo. It’s also not easy for a lot of people to create their own structure and be self driven, and maintain that. But that’s being self employed. There are a lot of challenges. Never boring. I’ve always done and cammng part time.

Last edited:
This month is my 9 year whoriversary lol

I left my full time job in healthcare 9 years ago, to do this full time. I’ve always made enough money when I put the effort in, but my first few years I felt socially isolated. So I got part time, low stress vanilla side jobs. Then I met my partner and got pregnant, at one of them.(lol not during the shift though haha)

I stopped doing vanilla work completely at that time, and have never looked back. I’ve made more each year other than the year of my second pregnancy, where I was mainly bed bound with anemia, blood pressure issues, irritable uterus, and the thing where the morning sickness gets really severe.

I had done some sex work before this, but I have also done bar tending, serving, food service management, hospitality industry, social work and mental health care.

This will be my only job as long as I can physically do it. Although once my kids grow up, I plan to volunteer also.

I really don’t know how many people start and stop, but it seems like a lot. It’s a really demanding job in so many ways and I also believe a lot of people think it’s going to be easy money, and when they realize the amount of consistent work required, can’t handle that. I also think a lot of models make the mistake of tying sales too much to their own personal identity and self esteem. Which is not good psychologically, because sales are constantly up and down. Not something to personalize, just the way it is.

So I think a lot of people aren’t mentally cut out for this, hence the high turnover. It’s been tougher the last two years. High competition field, that requires a pretty grounded, secure and fairly focused personality imo. It’s also not easy for a lot of people to create their own structure and be self driven, and maintain that. But that’s being self employed. There are a lot of challenges. Never boring. I’ve always done and cammng part time.
I’ve always done clips part time and camming part time* I’m too introverted, moody and unpredictable to do live camming full time. I don’t have enough of a filter for that.

I think nowadays the majority of people who start doing this stuff may not even make it 3 months! The pandemic made Onlyfans and the like more mainstream than the public was ready for, and TOO many people thought it'd be easy money and jumped in. I doubt half of them made it past 6 weeks.

In genera, before that, I think the average was 6 months for newcomers. Only people who really dedicated themselves to it, or had a mainstream or stripper following that could easily carry over, made it longer.

14 years. Started in Summer of 2009, went HARD until 2014, started to slow down a little bit then until 2018, then slowed down a LOT. Then started Onlyfans in 2019, which picked up during peak covid late 2020, and that became my mainstay going forward.

Nope. My husband and I started investing early in our careers so that we don't have to work ourselves to the bone as long as most. I planned to retire back in 2019 with my 10 year anniversary, but things were still going so well that I've just maintained less hours and effort to carry my weight until later in my 40s, then retire. May do some fun part-time vanilla work to keep myself busy after, but hope to not need to.

as I noted before, camming and adult content creation has gotten so blown out into mainstream that I think things are kinda fucked right now... I can't imagine more than like 5% of new entrants making it out of the gate with more than a month's gas money to show for it.

Holy shit...you are #GOALS. 🩷

To hit f.i.r.e. and keep creating is genuinely where I want to be.

Thanks for sharing!

Do majority of the people who sign up never make it past 6 months?
Absolutely not, but the same can be said for pretty much any industry that doesn't require many years of training to enter.
Get job, realize it's not a fit or not what you expected, decide to swap to something else.
4 years.
But 19 years of adult entertainment, stripping, topless waitressing, and nude modeling.

Absolutely! A million things if I can!
But I also plan on continuing to unleash my sexual creativity for entertainment purposes for as long as I'm physically and mentally able!
"Aging out" turned out to be a lie society and the industry fed us...turns out that the opposite is actually true...if you stick with it you keep learning and growing and it does translate into your personal success.

So bloody many!
I've had countless people over the years say they want to do what I do and I always offer them help getting started. I also always convey that it's not as easy as they have been told.
Also that the hard parts aren't what you expect.
Dealing with the gross people and trolls is not the hard part...not even close.
The hard part is being "on" all the time, it takes a lot of energy.

I'm now at a point where I can understand on more levels why neurodivergent people flourish in SW, and it's not just being able to set our own hours and control our own environment and all that...
It's also that we already mask in all our social interactions so doing SW is only as taxing as our everyday socializing (for me online is even easier because I've attracted other ND types who I can be my lil weird self with), I've found that Neurotypical people who attempt SW feel like they are "putting on an act" and get burnt out or feel like they can't do it.

Then there's the whole ADHD dopamine driven nervous system thing...for us having something like a ding noise when a tip happens and the anticipation of the unknown is a huge benefit for our brain to stay motivated and on task. For a neurotypical it's the third circle of hell.

Anyways I'm vastly off track and could rant forever.

Basically it's a perfect business for some and not at all suited to others.

Dec 31st will be my 9 years camming independently, this month was 9 years since I started at a studio.
Yes and no. While I wont continue camming forever (for me it's too mentally taxing when things are slow, when the rooms active and things are going well it's the complete opposite though) Videos is something that I will carry on with and do a lot more of once I stop camming. I'm also working on a few other op's some of which are in the industry, others that arnt. Vanilla jobs are pretty much out of the question for me though, even before camming they were never a good fit.
A lot. A big part of it I think is not expecting how much work there actually is, the promises made on the recruitment ads promise big money, low hours and low effort, but the truth is the big money (like the 10k a month they advertise) is only attained by a few and to get to that point it's anything but low hours and low effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.