AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

How long should a customer wait for custom videos?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2015
Hi,

Sorry for this being my first post but the topic is really starting to bug me and I figure this may be the best place to get feedback from models who don't care about losing me as a customer. If anything sounds whiny, please ignore it, I'm not looking for pity. I was wondering, when a person pays for a custom, how long should he or she expect to wait while the video is being created?

Until recently I thought I was playing it safe in who I made requests to: models who honor their tip menu during shows, models who I already tip, and who already have videos. Half the time we discuss the video beforehand, the other half I've been told to tip first and then it'll be discussed. But ultimately the fastest I've received a video was just over two weeks later when she originally estimated a three day turn around and in all cases I get little to no communication back when I ask for an update.

I understand models have their own lives so I only ask every few days, but when I'm getting no updates it takes all I have to not publicly call out the model during a live show because it'll likely result in a ban and not receiving my video at all. One of my latest requests will hit the three week mark tomorrow. Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is too long or is this expected? If someone sends you a message every few days asking for an update, would that annoy you enough to not fulfill the original request?

Reactions: ACFFAN69
I usually tell people I'll get them their video within a week (which I usually say before they tip). So if they ask me for an update before that week is up, it's a little annoying to me. On the rare occasion that I can't get it done in that time frame, I'll update them when I know, so before my "due date." I don't think there's a standard waiting time. Some girls take months, some take 24 hours. Whatever you two agreed upon is what it should be. I think that a little bit longer than agreed upon is "okay" as long as the model doesn't make it a habit - things come up. It would be good customer service in this case for her to offer you a freebie or something to make up for the delay. If she never gave you a turnaround time, that's kind of a red flag to me, always make sure to hash that out beforehand.

Sorry that you've had such bad experiences! It doesn't sound like you're being respected, or the model isn't very professional, or some combination of that.

Three weeks sounds crazy to me. In that case you certainly deserve an update. I'm a clip girl, not a camgirl, so maybe it's a little different for me but I always tell people the day they will have it by and if I'm going to be late, I email them and explain. I would be annoyed by people asking about their custom if I say it will be five days and they email me on day three. I would say to definitely not email before the video is due but if it is due and your emails are being ignored, that's bullshit. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences. Not to sound all cheesy but there are a lot of models here, most of which camming is their full time job and are very trustworthy. The forum section called "Models: Advertise Here" would be a good browse for you if you're looking for a more trustworthy room to check out :)

Always ask how long time it will take before you make the deal, since it greatly varies from camgirl to camgirl (and the nature of the custom vid). If, for some reason, there's a delay she will hopefully contact you giving you a status update. This is, in my experience, unfortunately not that common so you might have to contact her. Some models go from being nice and responsive to giving you total radio silence the minute they've gotten the money for the custom.

There might be good reasons to why she can't make it on time and then I usually ask for a new deadline and wait. Things can I always come up and if that's the case I suggest you have patience.

If the deadline should be moved forward time and time again or if she suddenly stops answering your messages and you suspect that she's not honest I would suggest that you immediately ask for a refund. In my experience, the longer a deal drags on the more likely it is that you're going to get scammed. Unfortunately you can't trust anyone, no matter how "established" she is.

Last edited:
It looks like my best bet may be to stay calm, wait things out, and re-evaluate how I choose my requests. I've had issues with models who I've hashed out all the details with before any money was exchanged so I'm down on my luck there. Refunds may be the same as I've been told by MFC and CB support once that if I want something, I need to go to private. I can't really bank on them helping me out a second time.

As far as I know none of the models I've dealt with are on this site so perhaps I'll have better luck by adding that to my requirements. Its mainly the silence that puzzles me, especially when I start doing the math.

I am also a clip maker and even though I cam I am on SM so I dont offer customs there but I do take customs from C4S:

It takes me a week to do solo clips for customs unless they have a specific prop I need to buy or Adobe After Effect work that needs to be done that can take me an extra few days on top of the week.

If I need to coordinate with another model or my boyfriend (if they want b/g) it could take a few weeks depending on which model they were seeking- if she's a traveling model or if she's local. So three weeks sounds long IF it was a solo clip that needed no props, effect work or extra models.

Reactions: Rose and JickyJuly
10 days is about as fast as I've seen 3 weeks is pretty common and months is not uncommon.

I have a one week turnaround inmost cases. IF i'm backed up it can become 2 weeks and in special situations (travelling etc) a month or longer. However, you should always be able to ask and be told how long it will take prior to purchasing, and if it is late you should be updated.

I usually can do a 2-3 day turn around, but i always say a week so that I dont create problems.

i think the important thing is that you're clear about what you want for the custom first.. and she communicates a delivery time.
You mentioned some camgirls tell you to tip then discuss - this would redflag the fuck outa me and i'd take my tokens elsewhere.

I want to mention there's a difference between providing a brief custom description/outline and "fishing for wank material and attention"

An example: "Well tell me .. do you have x socks? Yes? Ok.. would you wear them pulled up to your ass? Yes. What about bras, do have bras? OK, would you happen to have a black dildo? What size? What kind of dirty talk do you do?" -- this is fishing. This is typically done when a customer is actively jerking off, or creating jerk off fodder for his mental spank bank. MOst of the time they are time wasters. In this situation, and only in this situation is it normal for a camgirl to require a tip before she communicates further

I do mine within a week. I ask them to describe in full what they want, I say whether I'll do it, then I start after payment. Only exception where it may take longer, really is if I have to wait on a prop. There have been 2 instances where it took longer, but I think the longest was something like 10 days. I made the video longer, and asked when telling them it would be late, if they'd like anything I already had up on the house, since they had to wait extra.

I am about to make a custom set of pictures today, and a video actually, but I had to wait for a prop to arrive before I could take them, and then the privacy to actually create it (which I don't have on weekends). So if your video requires special props or a costume or some such, then it may take longer if she had to order it and then she's relying on the postal system. I'm a fan of details being worked out first (MFC mail is the easiest), followed by a tip once everything is agreed upon - I don't like a tip, then detail discussion, because I feel like it adds pressure for me to do things that maybe I'm not comfortable with.

I only offer them once in a great while to High Tip of the Month, and it takes me at least a few weeks to get to them, usually. I let them know the video *should* arrive sometime during the month following their HTOTM win. This month the person hasn't responded yet about their prize, though, so it may be October at this point. :D

I should have really added at the bottom

basically - depending on circumstances, the camgirls work methods, her living situation etc.. there can be so many reasons why a custom could take a long time. THe important thing you should be entitled to is clear communication before purchase about expected delivery dates.

If it takes a girl a month or a year to do custom content i feel like this is ok..as long as you're told BEFORE you purchase.

I should have really added at the bottom

basically - depending on circumstances, the camgirls work methods, her living situation etc.. there can be so many reasons why a custom could take a long time. THe important thing you should be entitled to is clear communication before purchase about expected delivery dates.

If it takes a girl a month or a year to do custom content i feel like this is ok..as long as you're told BEFORE you purchase.

Thank you, and I agree! Mine take ages because I don't cam/film most days (meaning I can't just bang it out after a shift), so it has to be fit in with both my other jobs plus school and my roommate's schedule. I imagine a lot of other models, especially ones who don't cam/clips full-time, have similar situations. I rarely do customs anymore because I hate having them looming when I'm focusing on other things, but when I do, I give a big time frame so that I can film it when I'm horny and have enough time to do it properly. But again I do try to clarify that in advance. One reason I stopped doing customs was because I'd say "two weeks" and start getting emails in three days.

As long as both parties agree/are clear on the expectations, I don't think there's anything wrong with a long wait. (Doesn't sound like that's the situation for OP but I wanted to chime in on other models saying three weeks was crazy or too long! Like most things in camming, it's different for everyone but the paramount thing is communicating that beforehand like Lolli said.)

THe important thing you should be entitled to is clear communication before purchase about expected delivery dates.

Exactly this, and this is were I feel many models are lacking, at least in my experience. My guess is that most people understand that things might take time to do, as long as you communicate and give updates. Treat your customers well and they will probably buy from you and/or tip you again, treat them like crap the minute you've been paid, and they will not. Imo it's not rocket science and it works the same way in all businesses.

It is extremely frustrating when there's a huge lack of communication and the scam warning bells start ringing. It has happened to me far to many times and I think I've heard all excauses in the book. Unfortunately you will have to have this kind of scenario in mind @Boog when you're buying customs because it's always a potential risc.

Ive delivered customs anywhere between a few hours up to a month after receiving payment. I generally quote 2 weeks maximum to be on the safe side, but more often than not I deliver long before then. If something causes a delay I make sure to give frequent updates to make sure theyre aware, and I also usually add a few extra minutes to the video for free. The amount of time can depend on a lot of things for me:

- If the video is short and easy it will be faster, if its complicated and long it will take longer.
- If camming has been slow and Im not in financial dires it will be faster since I have energy and I can log off to film, if its been very busy on cam or I need to put in tons of hours to make rent I will be exhausted and it will take longer.
- If its content that Im already familiar and comfortable with it will be faster, if its something new I need to rehearse and get accustomed to so I can perform with the high quality I insist on producing it will take longer.
- If I have all of the props needed it will be faster, if Im waiting for something to be delivered it will take longer.

Beyond those, the only other things that would cause delay would be large unexpected life issues. The only custom videos Ive done that were late were because I was suffering from reoccurring issues that affected my appearance (turns out he didnt have a fetish for girls with double crusty pink eye) or due to a devastating family loss. I stayed in close contact with both members and they were aware of what was causing the delay, thankfully they were both understanding and patient and I was able to provide them with high quality content with a bonus for being gentlemen about it.

Of course nobody can anticipate illness or crisis, so as long as she communicates with you I would be more forgiving. Otherwise I would be clear with her about what you want in the video, ask her for a time frame, then pay. If it takes longer than her estimated time and she hasnt been keeping you up to date with it, then I wouldnt blame you for being concerned. I cant really advise you on a course of action though, it would depend on your relationship with that model. Either you can accept it as a loss, politely remind/ask her for its status, or ask her for a refund (which she may not be able to give you personally or even at all depending on the method of payment, but she might be able to contact site admin to request one for you). Best of luck, I hope you get your video!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gen
It all depends on the model's life schedule and what you're asking for a custom. If this is happening to you a lot, maybe you could consider a site like ExtraLunchMoney that has an escrow system? That way if you feel like you're being cheated, you can cancel the request and get all of your money back (escrow won't allow models to earn funds until a clip is delivered).
It can take me anywhere from one day to a couple weeks depending on what I mentioned before. I suffer from a couple illnesses that interfere with cam time. I try to keep members updated and if I feel they've waited too long, I'll send some sexy bonus pics as an apology for the wait.

It all depends on the model's life schedule and what you're asking for a custom. If this is happening to you a lot, maybe you could consider a site like ExtraLunchMoney that has an escrow system? That way if you feel like you're being cheated, you can cancel the request and get all of your money back (escrow won't allow models to earn funds until a clip is delivered).
It can take me anywhere from one day to a couple weeks depending on what I mentioned before. I suffer from a couple illnesses that interfere with cam time. I try to keep members updated and if I feel they've waited too long, I'll send some sexy bonus pics as an apology for the wait.

The only downside to that is if the files are too big for ELM. I gave up on that site in part because dudes didnt understand that they couldnt send me escrow as payment for customs because I was unable to upload the large HD files to ELM in order to deliver via the ELM system and I didnt trust the guys (who were one time customers) enough to send them an external DL link to my off site hosting and not have them cancel the escrow anyway to screw me over just because they could.

That may be a problem unique to me because I am semi-tech stupid and I dont know how to compress video file sizes without a large quality loss, but also something to keep in mind. I really think your best bet is just going with a model you have a working relationship with and trust to not screw you over. Thats really in both parties best interest regardless of payment method though.

The only downside to that is if the files are too big for ELM. I gave up on that site in part because dudes didnt understand that they couldnt send me escrow as payment for customs because I was unable to upload the large HD files to ELM in order to deliver via the ELM system and I didnt trust the guys (who were one time customers) enough to send them an external DL link to my off site hosting and not have them cancel the escrow anyway to screw me over just because they could.

That may be a problem unique to me because I am semi-tech stupid and I dont know how to compress video file sizes without a large quality loss, but also something to keep in mind. I really think your best bet is just going with a model you have a working relationship with and trust to not screw you over. Thats really in both parties best interest regardless of payment method though.
Handbrake is a pretty easy tool to use for compressing videos. There's little to no real quality loss and it's simple enough to use. And its free to install! I'm not too knowledgeable with tech stuff either, but using Handbrake has helped me do some pretty fun ELM jobs.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Boog and PinkiePixi
In the opinion of a content purchaser, I'm a big fan of agreeing the details with the model. That includes but not limited to; the content and time frame. If any of these seem unreasonable to you, do not buy.

This doesn't mean being unreasonable with the model...dont expect an hour turn! Whatever the model says is the ETA of the custom, just check with her that she has given herself enough time!

When everything has been agreed, then send her the required tokens. Or whatever the agreed payment method is. I don't normally then contact the model (unless I'm really friendly with her) until a couple of days after the due date. Even then, it's more a polite email asking how they are and if they've managed to film the content yet.

However, what I don't appreciate is; if the model knows it's going to take her longer than originally thought, that she doesn't drop me an email just to explain that it may take a bit longer to arrive. Surely that's just polite?!

Gah, me and too much text recently >.<

I do customs Fridays & Sundays so it's typically a 4 day max turn around for 10-40 minute videos. Am late this round by 2 days because my video card turded out and I had to find another way to get it all edited & converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.