AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Internet Speeds.. FINALLY UPGRADING!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Should I choose the 10mb upload/50mb download or the 20mb upload/100mb download package?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2018
New Zealand
Twitter Username
@QuinnLaneMV
MFC Username
quinnlane
Streamate Username
QuinnLane
Chaturbate Username
quinnlane
ManyVids URL
https://www.manyvids.com/Profile/1002147165/QuinnLane/
Clips4Sale URL
https://www.clips4sale.com/studio/136465/quinns-clips
So, I'm finally finally FINALLY able to upgrade my internet plan where I live (Currently on ADSL, my upload speed is like 0.8mb on a good day) and Fibre becomes available next week. I want to stream on Streamate or Chaturbate, in HD 720p. I believe my laptop is capable, but I'm not sure which internet speed to go with.
I know better is well, better, but I don't want overkill if I don't have to.

Should I choose the 10mb upload/50mb download or the 20mb upload/100mb download package?

Keep in mind that it's rare to actually get the advertised speeds, and go with the bigger package.

Keep in mind that it's rare to actually get the advertised speeds, and go with the bigger package.

Great point, I totally forgot about that - woo, I get a free TV if I choose that package too!

how much is the price difference between the two? 10mb should suffice if they are able to give you what advertise. but with adsl, i know that isn't going to be guaranteed from experience. depending on your money situation, you can get the 10mb one and upgrade if you need to. if you can afford the faster one, get it. could save you the potential headache of getting .5 upload speed and being told to "deal with it". :D

Reactions: QuinnLane
how much is the price difference between the two? 10mb should suffice if they are able to give you what advertise. but with adsl, i know that isn't going to be guaranteed from experience. depending on your money situation, you can get the 10mb one and upgrade if you need to. if you can afford the faster one, get it. could save you the potential headache of getting .5 upload speed and being told to "deal with it". :D

I'm on ADSL currently, but will be upgrading to a Fibre line (woo, people in my house for a day installing it and shit) but upgrading will actually drop my monthly internet payments as I'm currently paying $90 (it's expensive I know e.e)
I just noticed that the internet company I'm currently with offers a plan with up to 500mb/s upload?! Holy shit, now THAT'S overkill. Also noticed that my current company doesn't actually offer the 10mb up/50mb down, only the 20/100.
If I go with the 20/100 it'll be $85 a month, if I go with the insane 500mb plan it'd be $100 a month.

So for $85 a month (and free installation rather than paying the $199) I'm pretty happy. As for potential speed, I'm looking at reviews and it seems to be pretty close to what's advertised and customers are happy. I just know it's gonna be a hell of a lot better than 0.8mb haha

So, I'm finally finally FINALLY able to upgrade my internet plan where I live (Currently on ADSL, my upload speed is like 0.8mb on a good day) and Fibre becomes available next week. I want to stream on Streamate or Chaturbate, in HD 720p. I believe my laptop is capable, but I'm not sure which internet speed to go with.
I know better is well, better, but I don't want overkill if I don't have to.

to stream at 720p you need at least 3000kbps + 25% for audio and contingency, of Upload speed.
advertised Speed are always referred to Download speed which you don't really care in your case.

I would advise you to Ask/verify with your Internet provider that they are giving you at least 5Mbps (5 Mega) Upload speed and you are good to stream at 720p..
with 7-8 Mbps (7-8 Mega) upload speed, you would be good for streaming at 1080p. anything behind this is a waste of money.
Call them and Ask them specifically "how much Upload speed I am getting with my Package?"

Last edited:
advertised Speed are always referred to Download speed

The package they mentioned included both upload and download speeds. My ISP advertises both with it's packages as well, these days enough people care about upload that both are advertised in a lot of places.

The package they mentioned included both upload and download speeds. My ISP advertises both with it's packages as well, these days enough people care about upload that both are advertised in a lot of places.

Yeah, also I just did a speedtest - our internet here in range of speeds goes ADSL, VDSL, Fibre, Fibre 100, Fibre Gigantic, etc. I'm on ADSL at my house which is 0.8mb upload, and I'm at a house with VDSL and I just did a test and it gets 13.5mb upload but VDSL isn't offered where I live, they're going straight to installing Fibre. So it's definitely, definitely going to be enough to be streaming in 720p.

Now I just have to get myself a nice little desktop for Christmas and I'll be streaming in HD no problem! I'm so excited and motivated by this I can't even describe it.

I'll be choosing the 20 up/100 down plan as it's $5 cheaper than my current plan and I don't have to switch companies.

The package they mentioned included both upload and download speeds. My ISP advertises both with it's packages as well

it varies from country to country and ISP to ISP, it is not safe to assume so.
most ISPs world wide provide asynchronous internet connection (Download speed higher than upload speed)
than synchronous connections.

these days enough people care about upload that both are advertised in a lot of places.
still 98% of the people WW consuming the internet couldn't care less about upload, they are not even aware such is important, or even exists. that is why ISPs put their effort in advertisements on Download speed.
the fact is if ISP did not specifically state the Upload speed, the speed advertised is Pure Download speed and upload speed is yet to be determined by asking the ISP

better validate than sorry :)

Last edited:
it varies from country to country and ISP to ISP, it is not safe to assume so.
most ISPs world wide provide asynchronous internet connection (Download speed higher than upload speed)
than synchronous connections.

I wasn't saying that the upload and download speeds were the same. I was saying that Quinn mentioned both in the op. Both are even mentioned in the poll: "Should I choose the 10mb upload/50mb download or the 20mb upload/100mb download package?" See where it says upload, then download? That's what I'm talking about. Maybe actually READ someone's words before replying to correct them about something they already know.

pick the 10/50, that would be more than enough to stream on 1080p.
Don't forget Streaming is done over UDP and not TCP, which required much less internet bandwidth as it is No handshake (connectionless) protocol.
and there is no SYN and ACK packets to confirm the data Packs has arrived (which takes up also from your internet bandwidth, e.g. like when you download a file or browse the internet), UDP don't have all this, so you got more bandwidth available for pure data packets (your stream)

(streaming at 1080p = 4000Kbps - 5000Kbp + audio of 192Kbps + contingency traffic of 25% = 7128Kbps)
anything behind that speed is pouring money down the drain from streaming prospective.

You can always upgrade at a later stage if you really feel like you need to (switch to 4K streaming, etc.).

Last edited:
I'll be choosing the 20 up/100 down plan as it's $5 cheaper than my current plan and I don't have to switch companies.

Okay, cool, because I was just about to post that I'd probably go with that one for the same reasons that AudriTwo and SaffronBurke mentioned in their original posts.

And now you know that you're getting the free T.V., which is AWESOME.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
pick the 10/50, that would be more than enough to stream on 1080p.
Don't forget Streaming is done over UDP and not TCP, which required much less internet bandwidth as it is No handshake (connectionless) protocol.
and there is no SYN and ACK packets to confirm the data Packs has arrived (which takes up also from your internet bandwidth, e.g. like when you download a file or browse the internet), UDP don't have all this, so you got more bandwidth available for pure data packets (your stream)

(streaming at 1080p = 4000Kbps - 5000Kbp + audio of 192Kbps + contingency traffic of 25% = 7128Kbps)
anything behind that speed is pouring money down the drain from streaming prospective.

You can always upgrade at a later stage if you really feel like you need to (switch to 4K streaming, etc.).

I mentioned in a previous reply that the company I am with does not offer the 10/50 package so I will be going for the 20/100 and it's cheaper to go for this option anyway rather than switch companies and deal with all of that..
Also noticed that my current company doesn't actually offer the 10mb up/50mb down, only the 20/100.

And now you know that you're getting the free T.V., which is AWESOME.
Sadly I didn't read properly and that's only on the 24 month contract at $90 a month, and I'm going to be choosing the 12 month plan at $85. But hey! That's okay with me as I don't really watch TV and I'd have been giving it to my father haha I was going to switch out for his 42" Samsung TV and use it as a monitor but it wouldn't fit on my computer table and I already have a decent sized monitor.

so I will be going for the 20/100 and it's cheaper to go for this option anyway

The most important thing here is that you're getting off of DSL technology. Fiber is SIGNIFICANTLY better than ANY kind of DSL (ADSL, VDSL, HDSL, etc). There's a very good reason you're seeing better reviews with the company offering fiber. Without getting all nerdy, lol, fiber most typically utilizes Ethernet technology which inherently has significantly less overhead than xDSL which utilizes what they call ATM technology. There's a TON more to it than that, but that's it at a very high level. That translates to you getting a much higher percentage of the advertised speeds. Just keep in mind most providers are going to advertise this as "UP TO xMb speed". So you're doing yourself a big favor by going with the package with the higher potential throughput.

I tried explaining the nearly countless benefits to being moved to fiber, but it turned into a technical white paper every time I tried, so I'll slow down haha. When things start slowing down for your entire neighborhood, city, state, or whatever it may be (depending on how your provider has their network designed), you'll be starting from 20Mb of available bandwidth and having it slow down from there, instead of starting from 10Mb and going down. Said differently, if you've got a choice between a 20 gallon tank of gas, and a 10 gallon tank of gas, and you know at times you're only going to be able to use (for easy math) 50% of it, you'd be better off starting with the 20 gallon right? It's not QUITE as 1 to 1 like that with bandwidth, but the concept is still the same. If you start with more you'll always HAVE more than if you'd started with less. Usually it's only another $10 or $20 a month to jump up to the next fastest speed, and I'll pay that every damn time (I also work from home and rely heavily on my connection).

You did good for yourself :)

you should take in count also the fact that the speed they advertise is usually on a server close to you, in your country. for example in romania we have 200/500/940 MBs for dowload and 150/250/450MBs upload. those being the max speed. for example i have the 500/250 one, if i test to bucharest server o get a very close speed, but when i check it on chaturbate servers( Amsterdam or Belgrade) i dont get more than 90MBs whatever time of day i check it. So my point was 10mbs might not be enough, so good thing to upgrade

you should take in count also the fact that the speed they advertise is usually on a server close to you, in your country. for example in romania we have 200/500/940 MBs for dowload and 150/250/450MBs upload. those being the max speed. for example i have the 500/250 one, if i test to bucharest server o get a very close speed, but when i check it on chaturbate servers( Amsterdam or Belgrade) i dont get more than 90MBs whatever time of day i check it. So my point was 10mbs might not be enough, so good thing to upgrade

The company I'm with doesn't offer the 10mb package so yes I'm going with 20mb.

I have considered moving to Provo, Utah for Google Fiber.:rofl:

Honestly, I upgraded my upload speeds recently with a better router and haven't noticed much of a difference in quality or user engagement.

Honestly, I upgraded my upload speeds recently with a better router and haven't noticed much of a difference in quality or user engagement.

There is always a limit on what you need for upload. It will be more a calculation on the amount of sites your stream to. Like CB with OBS is on 5.5Mbit so if you have 8Mbit upstream it is enough.
And it is not always on the upload speed on your local connection as not all ISP's have enough bandwidth from their network to the rest of the world. Some even buy very "cheap". That means the route to destination can be long,slow and small. So it helps to find out how every ISP is doing their traffic. And it can mean you need to spend a little more on your monthly fee.

Ok I know that was MOSTLY joking, but for the benefit of anyone that might be thinking of trying their services, don't lol. I've used it in Provo and Kansas City both at friend's houses. It's great when they first install it in a city, but after a year or so, the speeds go to shit. At night when people get home from work and kids are home from school it can become literally unusable. Once again, that's why they offer "up to xMb or xGb" ;) . I was disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.