AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Is it safe to *67 a member?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
I have this dude begggging for me to call him in a private and he's already paid a lot and given a really big tip, but I'm very ignorant/nervous about phone safety. If I put *67 in front of his number, is there really no way for him to get my name/number?

I decided to research that for you and found this.

You can use the toll-free provider's voicemail or forward the call to another line from there.

The toll-free provider I use is Kall8 which immediately sends an email with the caller's name (if available) and number. You can have this sent to your phone. This provider charges $2 a month and 6.9 cents a minute.

I also found it will sometimes show up on itemized bills, even though it is not supposed to.

invest in a cheap phone and use it for MFC.
guys love to use it in pvt and tip for your #.
promising you send texts seems like a good business too.

Yeah, a cheap pay-as-you-go would would allow you to have an MFC only phone that is untraceable to you personally. I don't know what you'd do about the area code, though, if you're worried about that.

Reactions: Jessi J
Check the how to stalk people on the internet thread. It has some advice on the giving out phone numbers/calling members. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5764

But, real quick on what has been discussed there that can be of help:

1. TracPhone from WalMart should let you chose an area code not where you live when you activate it. They are also cheap to buy.
2. You can get a Google Voice number if you have a Gmail account, and set that number up in an area code where you don't live.

UncleThursday said:
Check the how to stalk people on the internet thread. It has some advice on the giving out phone numbers/calling members. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5764

1. TracPhone from WalMart should let you chose an area code not where you live when you activate it. They are also cheap to buy.
2. You can get a Google Voice number if you have a Gmail account, and set that number up in an area code where you don't live.

Yes, you can set up a tracfone in any area code. Most $9.95 phones will have voice/voice mail/texting, some will have picture texting. The higher priced phones will definitely have picture texting and web access (if you want/need that).

If you're really paranoid, you could tie the tracfone to a google voice number in a different area code (and change it whenever you feel like it), and tie the google voice and tracfone to a throwaway email ;)

If you go the tracfone way, don't forget to build in the cost per minute of the tracfone refill cards to your "pvt. phone fee".

UncleThursday said:

Those are both great options, but there's a few additional options you can consider:

If you're based in the US and only plan to make outgoing calls, you can create a GMail account and use the "Call phone" feature of Google Talk (on the left hand side). The outbound number is a generic one that is not tied to you. The calls are free if you're calling within the US or Canada (from the US or Canada).

Skype also offers an outbound calling service (it was called SkypeOut at one point, I'm not sure if it's changed since they were acquired). I haven't used it lately, but it did cost money the last time I checked it out.

Also note, as I've mentioned in some longer e-mails on the "Stalking People" thread: These methods work just fine to protect yourself from a typical prying member. But they're not bulletproof if you're engaged in a criminal act. The police can absolutely subpoena the records from any provider, and all US based carriers are required by law (CALEA) to cooperate.

IsabelleL said:
I have this dude begggging for me to call him in a private and he's already paid a lot and given a really big tip, but I'm very ignorant/nervous about phone safety. If I put *67 in front of his number, is there really no way for him to get my name/number?

Some years ago when I was pissed at this guy, I did the *67 thing and called his number and hung up...lol. About a minute later he called me back. :shock: I wasn't sure if he was somehow able to trace it back to me, or if he just KNEW it was me fucking around...lol. I have no idea.

I agree with the others on here who suggested that you get a separate phone for MFC. A TracFone is cool because you can live in one state, yet assign your TracFone a different state's phone number. :) The only thing though is that I did a phone call with a guy from Canada, and the TracFone (which had several minutes remaining on it) wouldn't let me dial out that number. But when he called my TracFone number, the call went through fine. It pissed me off, because I paid money for the TracFone and the minutes, thinking that I could make calls outside of the U.S. too.

Google Voice is another option. I got myself a Google Voice number, but I haven't done anything with that in a while.

The new site ExtraLunchMoney has a great new feature where guys on there can text a model, and he has to pay whatever her rate is per text. The guy's phone number isn't revealed, and neither is the model's.

Reactions: Eva_ChangeN
MagicJack @ 19.95 a year, Blocked number Option, Voice Mail, Caller ID....
Your number is good wherever you are especialy with the new no computer needed model....

Candy xxx

I think its safest to assume any blocking function will fail and get yourself a completely new cheap phone/sim or one of the functions listed, granted it might cost a little more but is worth it in the long run, if just for peace of mind

Drawback to Google Voice is that it does not send or receive MMS (picture), only SMS (text), with the exception of Sprint. They have some agreement with Sprint which allows MMS capabilities.

Cricket Communications (mycricket.com) offers no contract unlimited service that, I find, is a better deal than the Tracphones that eat up minutes like crazy. You can even text internationally with Cricket.

But for the occasional calls and no texting, google voice is a great way to go. Plus, you can choose your own number...NATIONWIDE. And it will be your "forever"number and can have all calls that are made to that # forwarded to whichever # you choose for no charge.

Reactions: ScarlettLeigh
Oh! And with google voice, you can block a number from calling you with a click of a button. They get the "Do do dooo...you have reached a number that is no longer in service. Please check the number and try your call again," message.

Reactions: ScarlettLeigh
wow, you guys are so helpful! I was thinking about getting a burner phone for MFC, but I hadn't considered Google Voice! So I can just call out and it's audio only? cause that's exactly what I want.

IsabelleL said:
wow, you guys are so helpful! I was thinking about getting a burner phone for MFC, but I hadn't considered Google Voice! So I can just call out and it's audio only? cause that's exactly what I want.
  • Google Voice is a call forwarding and call management system that uses your existing phones to call in or out. You can choose your own number and have it forwarded to your existing phone. You can also use the app that they provide (or their website) to make outbound calls from your Google Voice number.
  • Google Talk calling is related to Google Voice, but doesn't require you to setup Google Voice or even select a number. It just lets you make free outbound calls from within GMail. The calls show up from a generic number.

If you only care about calling out and never want people to be able to reach you, you might consider just using Google Talk calling service. It has one additional benefit (or drawback, depending on your needs) in that it uses your computer to make the call rather than your phone. Could save on airtime if you don't have an unlimited mobile plan.

Reactions: Nordling
As Nicole said, the drawback of Google Voice is the lack of MMS support, but this is only if one plans on texting pictures. Trust me, if I never needed to send or receive pics, I'd never have to give out my phone's number assigned to it by the carrier. The only time I use that number is for MMS messages if the other person doesn't have Whatsapp Messenger installed. If you're on Sprint, as she said, your GV number is your number from the carrier, as well, so it will work.

Now, when using GV from a non-smartphone, it's a little trickier than just dialing. You have to dial your GV number from a phone linked to your GV account (home, cell, whatever), and then dial the number you want to call. The person on the other end will see your GV number on their caller ID, not the number of whatever phone you are calling from. The other option is to dial from the Google Voice webpage and it will ring your phone and when you pick up dial the number on its end that you are calling.

From smartphones, you can get the Google Voice app, and use its settings to choose to use GV for all calls, only international, or having the phone ask you when you dial out to use the phone's carrier-based number or your GV number. At least this is how it works on Android phones. I cannot verify how it works on iPhones, Blackberries or Windows Phone 7 phones.

Also, as Madjohnson said, you could also use Google Talk to dial out from your computer. If you don't have a GV number associated with your Gmail account, then it will be a random number from Google's switchboard (basically) that they see. But, I would suggest a headset with a long cord if you wanted to try this. If you do have a Google Voice account, then it will show that number when you call.

Reactions: MadJohnson
if you have skype, it's only $2.50 a month for the unlimited calling plan. Similar to google , a random number is generated or it just shows as "unknown" on caller I.D.

currently I use an ipod touch as my "work phone". as long as I'm in range of WI-fi, with skype and google voice I can text and make phone calls, manage my model twitter, email etc without paying for a separate phone line or worrying that my work contacts will cross with my personal contacts. (i've heard horror stories of models accidentally posting model stuff to personal FB/twitter)

the other plus to google voice is you can set a time frame when calls are forwarded, this can avoid any unwanted calls outside of working hours.

If pic messaging is the drawback to using google voice, why not just email pics. It's highly likely your recipient has a smart phone where they can access the email as easily as SMS.

The_Brown_Fox said:
IsabelleL said:

The new site ExtraLunchMoney has a great new feature where guys on there can text a model, and he has to pay whatever her rate is per text. The guy's phone number isn't revealed, and neither is the model's.
Just wanted to jump in and vouch for ELM texting, I've had a few guys do it and it's really convenient! I did notice that there is a delay, but for both numbers to be private, I suppose that's to be expected. I like the fact that the guys had to pay a fee up front just to start, and they are charged however much per text. I kept mine on the lower side just so I can try it out but it's nice that you can choose your prices and I think I read somewhere you can actually give certain people discounts. But I'll have to double check :think:

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.