AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Is the upfront cost of an HDMI-capable camera, capture card, technical investment, worth it?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2018
I feel like most folks stick with the basic USB web-cam, so I wonder why I don't see more DSLR or other upgrades.

My first guess is it's just not worth it over streaming; any extra detail is lost to compression. But that's not always the case if good bandwidth exists. Is it just...not necessary? Does sharper resolution not affect turnover? There's also that, and lighting.

The HD Logitech webcams do a plenty good enough job, in my opinion. So the trouble and cost of setting it up so your DSLR can stream your cam sessions doesn’t seem worth it.

I mean, Logitech has a webcam that deals with 4k. The C922 deals in 720p 60fps and the C920 deals in 1080p 30fps. I just don't see the point in connecting a DSLR and going to all that trouble when the current webcams on the market, that are usually recommended by the sites themselves, are extremely capable and high quality already.

Reactions: melanieoncam
I mean, Logitech has a webcam that deals with 4k. The C922 deals in 720p 60fps and the C920 deals in 1080p 30fps. I just don't see the point in connecting a DSLR and going to all that trouble when the current webcams on the market, that are usually recommended by the sites themselves, are extremely capable and high quality already.
The C922 does 1080 I think the 920 only has 720p. Maybe backwards there.

But I agree otherwise.

Webcams are HD enough, a camcorder isn't necessary for livestreaming. Also, I've heard from people who've tried it that camming with a camcorder uses a LOT more CPU than a webcam.

The C922 does 1080 I think the 920 only has 720p. Maybe backwards there.

But I agree otherwise.

The C922 streams in 720p at 60fps and 1080p at 30fps.
The C920 streams in 720p and 1080p at 30fps and is the most popular among webcam models, and you did make a thread here featuring both.

The C922 streams in 720p at 60fps and 1080p at 30fps.
The C920 streams in 720p and 1080p at 30fps and is the most popular among webcam models, and you did make a thread here featuring both.
Ok, gotcha, I was just clarifying since your post made it sound like c922 only did 720p, but you added now that it does 1080p. :)

• Hugs
Reactions: QuinnLane
Would a business model geared more towards clipsales instead of streaming be a better case for upgrading, then?

Would a business model geared more towards clipsales instead of streaming be a better case for upgrading, then?

There are plenty of top stores on C4S using high quality 1080p webcams. If it were me I wouldn't upgrade until you start bringing in a good amount of money. Some content just won't sell and some that you didn't think would do well sells like crazy.

When you have a good selling niche then you can let your profits pay for your upgrades.

I think a camcorder is a better tool for clip makers than a dslr photo camera.

There are plenty of top stores on C4S using high quality 1080p webcams.

Hell, a lot of people are making clips on their phones these days, any phone after 2013 or so comes with an HD camera, and recent ones are incredible!

Hell, a lot of people are making clips on their phones these days, any phone after 2013 or so comes with an HD camera, and recent ones are incredible!
True. I’ve recorded one 4K vid on my iPhone and all of my photo sets are done from that now too.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
I film on my phone, but would like to upgrade to a camcorder - I did buy one, believing it was 1080p60fps capable, but it turns out its 60i, so basically 25fps max, and the picture it creates is... like an upscaled 640p. I looked at reviews too, thought it was good.

What's a decent/popular camcorder? I've been looking at the Sony HDRCX405 FHD Flash Handycam but if there's one that's kinda 'standard' in the industry I'm definitely interested.

I film on my phone, but would like to upgrade to a camcorder - I did buy one, believing it was 1080p60fps capable, but it turns out its 60i, so basically 25fps max, and the picture it creates is... like an upscaled 640p. I looked at reviews too, thought it was good.

What's a decent/popular camcorder? I've been looking at the Sony HDRCX405 FHD Flash Handycam but if there's one that's kinda 'standard' in the industry I'm definitely interested.

The Canon Vixia (or Legaria, I think that's how you spell the European name, they're the same thing). I have the rh600, which is fairly cheap and a good starter cam, the quality is honestly fantastic. Anything in my stores after about mid-october 2015 is shot on it.

• Helpful!
Honestly, camming on a DSLR is a pain in the ass (I did it for a year). You can't mount it to your monitor, so unless you have the perfect setup there's gonna be some disconnect with the viewer. Also, most DSLRs don't do HDMI out, and it takes a fair amount of research to find out which ones do. So even with say, my old Canon t3i (a bit outdated, but still HD) I can't get a true HD picture for webcam. A lot of DSLRs also have automatic shut offs that get in the way of streaming. And you need to get an adapter unless you want to be replacing your batteries mid-show, and those adapters can be pretty unreliable.

Theres also the theory that streaming with your DSLR burns out the sensor, but I've heard mixed things about that. That's quite a risk with an expensive camera that you probably use for other things as well.

Personally, I don't feel as though the current logitechs are HD enough, but there are just not very advanced webcams on the market yet. Most new webcams prioritize silly features over a crisp clear image and functional settings, and we haven't really seen a decent upgrade from the standard for several years. But they're lightweight and easy to use. When your other alternative is a giant hassle and you're also dealing with makeup/outfit and the actual entertainment part of camming, you want something reliable and simple.

The Canon Vixia (or Legaria, I think that's how you spell the European name, they're the same thing). I have the rh600, which is fairly cheap and a good starter cam, the quality is honestly fantastic. Anything in my stores after about mid-october 2015 is shot on it.
Damn, it's discontinued and I can't find one in NZ stores/secondhand for sale.

• Sorry to hear that.
Damn, it's discontinued and I can't find one in NZ stores/secondhand for sale.

Those of us in the states are spoiled, they're still on Amazon and the price has dropped since I got mine, it used to be in the $300's but girls have got it for $200 or less recently. It's impossible to find extras like mics or remotes that go with it though, apparently newer cameras have bluetooth?

Those of us in the states are spoiled, they're still on Amazon and the price has dropped since I got mine, it used to be in the $300's but girls have got it for $200 or less recently. It's impossible to find extras like mics or remotes that go with it though, apparently newer cameras have bluetooth?

Ooh, I could save for it - a used one from Amazon + shipping is $265 NZD, but I'm saving for a passport first so I can get Paxum/work on BoleynModels. I typically try and find stuff in NZ that supports Afterpay/Partpay, so I can pay 25% every 2 weeks instead of the full amount all at once - helps me out a looot.

Ooh, I could save for it - a used one from Amazon + shipping is $265 NZD, but I'm saving for a passport first so I can get Paxum/work on BoleynModels. I typically try and find stuff in NZ that supports Afterpay/Partpay, so I can pay 25% every 2 weeks instead of the full amount all at once - helps me out a looot.

Get your passport first, then you'll have more sources of income to fund your camera!

• Hugs
Get your passport first, then you'll have more sources of income to fund your camera!
Yes! I should be able to afford it from my C4S payout :') Which I gotta wait another month for but then it's good :h: thank you so much & I'm definitely going to try and get that camera

Yes! I should be able to afford it from my C4S payout :') Which I gotta wait another month for but then it's good :h: thank you so much & I'm definitely going to try and get that camera

You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.