AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Lutefisk

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lutefisk is dried whitefish (normally cod, but ling is also used) treated with lye. The first step is soaking the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing a jelly-like consistency.

When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) is caustic, with a pH of 11–12. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

In Finland, the traditional reagent used is birch ash. It contains high amounts of potassium carbonate and bicarbonate, giving the fish a more mellow treatment than would lye. It is important not to marinate the fish too long in the lye because saponification of the fish fats may occur.

lye is a base. not an acid like vinegar

Lutefisk is dried whitefish (normally cod, but ling is also used) treated with lye. The first step is soaking the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing a jelly-like consistency.

When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) is caustic, with a pH of 11–12. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

In Finland, the traditional reagent used is birch ash. It contains high amounts of potassium carbonate and bicarbonate, giving the fish a more mellow treatment than would lye. It is important not to marinate the fish too long in the lye because saponification of the fish fats may occur.

lye is a base. not an acid like vinegar

Ah, I got my OH- and H+ mixed up. Interesting. I must try it sometime!

It's barely edible. I can eat it if it's dumped on potatoes and drowned in white sauce. :) The potatoes and sauce tend to mask the gelatinous texture.

Eat it with pickled herring, lefse (Scandinavian flatbread), and wash it all down with lots and lots of Aquavit.

It's barely edible. I can eat it if it's dumped on potatoes and drowned in white sauce. :) The potatoes and sauce tend to mask the gelatinous texture.

Eat it with pickled herring, lefse (Scandinavian flatbread), and wash it all down with lots and lots of Aquavit.
What is it like by it self?

Not yet. I will now. I'm eating pizza and didn't want to ruin it. :)

I do recommend trying lutefisk at least once in your life. It won't kill you and you'll know for yourself whether you like it or not (there are people who do).

Not yet. I will now. I'm eating pizza and didn't want to ruin it. :)

I do recommend trying lutefisk at least once in your life. It won't kill you and you'll know for yourself whether you like it or not (there are people who do).
I'm just trying to imagine how it wouldn't taste like soap then. NaOH + lipids/fats = saponification. That's exactly how soap is made. lol. Does it taste like soap? o_O Better question, IS it soap? lol

I'm just trying to imagine how it wouldn't taste like soap then. NaOH + lipids/fats = saponification. That's exactly how soap is made. lol. Does it taste like soap? o_O Better question, IS it soap? lol
lol no. Think hominy. Which is also cured in lye. The long rinse cycle gets rid of any soapiness. :) More like raw fish, but more gelatinous.

• Helpful!
Reactions: ThePrincessLuxy
It's not bad. I used to eat it when I was young. I was adopted by a Swedish family and it was a holiday tradition.

I've heard of it and I'm even pretty sure there's places in my town that serve it. I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to trying new food, but lutefisk is one of those things you'd have to pay me money to try. :yuck:

I've heard of it and I'm even pretty sure there's places in my town that serve it. I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to trying new food, but lutefisk is one of those things you'd have to pay me money to try. :yuck:
What have you heard about it?

What have you heard about it?
From what I've heard, it actually pretty bland, it smells funny, and the texture is like snot.

Status
Not open for further replies.