AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Making solo videos and quality...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Behayvin

Cam Model
Jan 14, 2019
Twitter Username
@MBehayvin
MFC Username
Miss_behayvin
Hello, I am new to camming (just started this year) and am getting ready to start making some solo content. I am trying to decide what I should be using to record and what software would be the best for me to use to produce a decent quality video. Would I be best using my c922 webcam, or should I just use the camera on my iPhone XS? Is it easier/better to record and edit on the laptop or using a movie making app on my phone? What is everyone else doing? I don't want to have to hire it out, I would feel much more comfortable if I could do all my own editing and produce the videos myself! Thanks :)

When you're just starting out, using your phone or webcam to make some clips is acceptable until you can get yourself set up to film proper clips.
Just make sure your lighting is adequate if you're using something with lower resolution recording.
I guess the editing depends on how much you have to edit, are you just shaving a few seconds off the beginning and end? Your phone editor should suffice, if you have to start cutting and editing footage together though, I would highly recommend using a computer and a proper editing program for that.
You can get away with using imovie or windows movie maker, but their editing options are pretty limited.
If you don't already have access to proper editing software; I use Filmora (https://filmora.wondershare.com/), honestly I like it more than adobe premier pro, it's way easier to use (and way cheaper) than adobe premier pro. I don't make elaborate videos, so it's absolutely perfect for what I need.
You can also get decently cheap cameras that are great for self shooting, I use this one <- It has a flip up screen so you can see what you're shooting and auto focus. I love it.

You shouldn't need to hire out for videos, just make sure the quality of the footage, the lighting and the color balance is as close to perfect as you can get it during filming, it will make editing a lot easier.
You can also check Youtube for videos about setting up your shooting space/lighting/editing/setting a camera up to record proper videos; and you'll do fine!

Hope that helped! Good luck! :)

• Helpful!
Reactions: Miss_Behayvin
I currently use my xs to film because it’s great quality. I use Filmora to edit because I’m picky and like to do color correcting, etc, but if you just want to trim the ends than I’m sure just doing it on your phone will be fine. I’ve also filmed a lot on my webcam in the past and the quality isn’t bad if you have good lighting (preferably natural).

Hello, I am new to camming (just started this year) and am getting ready to start making some solo content. I am trying to decide what I should be using to record and what software would be the best for me to use to produce a decent quality video. Would I be best using my c922 webcam, or should I just use the camera on my iPhone XS? Is it easier/better to record and edit on the laptop or using a movie making app on my phone? What is everyone else doing? I don't want to have to hire it out, I would feel much more comfortable if I could do all my own editing and produce the videos myself! Thanks :)
In my opinion the best software to use is Da Vinci Resolve, it is free and is good enough to replace the entire Adobe video editing suite. If it is possible I would say use both the webcam and iPhone to record so you can get different angles because multicam editing in Da Vinci Resolve is really simple and you can make some really awesome videos. Just remember to turn off any auto adjust settings for Right light, gain and white balance for the webcam.

When you're just starting out, using your phone or webcam to make some clips is acceptable until you can get yourself set up to film proper clips.
Just make sure your lighting is adequate if you're using something with lower resolution recording.
I guess the editing depends on how much you have to edit, are you just shaving a few seconds off the beginning and end? Your phone editor should suffice, if you have to start cutting and editing footage together though, I would highly recommend using a computer and a proper editing program for that.
You can get away with using imovie or windows movie maker, but their editing options are pretty limited.
If you don't already have access to proper editing software; I use Filmora (https://filmora.wondershare.com/), honestly I like it more than adobe premier pro, it's way easier to use (and way cheaper) than adobe premier pro. I don't make elaborate videos, so it's absolutely perfect for what I need.
You can also get decently cheap cameras that are great for self shooting, I use this one <- It has a flip up screen so you can see what you're shooting and auto focus. I love it.

You shouldn't need to hire out for videos, just make sure the quality of the footage, the lighting and the color balance is as close to perfect as you can get it during filming, it will make editing a lot easier.
You can also check Youtube for videos about setting up your shooting space/lighting/editing/setting a camera up to record proper videos; and you'll do fine!

Hope that helped! Good luck! :)

Thanks, I am going to try Filmora on my phone to see if that will work for clips recorded on my phone. I do have decent lighting so I think I should be ok (hopefully haha)! And checking out Youtube is a great idea thanks :)

I currently use my xs to film because it’s great quality. I use Filmora to edit because I’m picky and like to do color correcting, etc, but if you just want to trim the ends than I’m sure just doing it on your phone will be fine. I’ve also filmed a lot on my webcam in the past and the quality isn’t bad if you have good lighting (preferably natural).

It is great quality! I am amazed sometimes at how professional my photos turn out on it, which is why I was thinking it might be just as good for video quality. Glad to hear :)

In my opinion the best software to use is Da Vinci Resolve, it is free and is good enough to replace the entire Adobe video editing suite. If it is possible I would say use both the webcam and iPhone to record so you can get different angles because multicam editing in Da Vinci Resolve is really simple and you can make some really awesome videos. Just remember to turn off any auto adjust settings for Right light, gain and white balance for the webcam.

Thank you, that is super helpful! I will definitely give that one a try....adding different shot angles is something I would for sure be interested in. Hopefully there's not too much of a learning curve.... I'll keep watching the videos haha

That's really interesting, does it hold up to some of the other editing software on the market? Like can the free version handle editing hours of footage in 1080p/4k without crashing or do you have to upgrade to the paid version to get that?

Thank you, that is super helpful! I will definitely give that one a try....adding different shot angles is something I would for sure be interested in. Hopefully there's not too much of a learning curve.... I'll keep watching the videos haha
Multi camera videos are my favorite to edit, because of the challenge and it feels so much more creative. This makes it so easy to sync them up and switch between angles that it is a downright joy to edit them.

That's really interesting, does it hold up to some of the other editing software on the market? Like can the free version handle editing hours of footage in 1080p/4k without crashing or do you have to upgrade to the paid version to get that?
Yes 4K is free up to 60 FPS, for 8K resolution or higher frame rates you need the paid version, but even that is comparatively cheap at $299 considering what you get. Whether it is going to crash or not is mostly going to depend on your computer, mine has a 8700K Core i7 processor and 32gb of DDR4 ram so I am not going to run into any problems editing larger resolutions at higher frame rates. Also if you are editing several hours of 4K footage you have probably shot a feature, I don't think it would be worth it to edit a cam show recording at that resolution.

Yes 4K is free up to 60 FPS, for 8K resolution or higher frame rates you need the paid version, but even that is comparatively cheap at $299 considering what you get. Whether it is going to crash or not is mostly going to depend on your computer, mine has a 8700K Core i7 processor and 32gb of DDR4 ram so I am not going to run into any problems editing larger resolutions at higher frame rates. Also if you are editing several hours of 4K footage you have probably shot a feature, I don't think it would be worth it to edit a cam show recording at that resolution.
Cool
Yeah I batch shoot a lot of footage at once, so as long as a program isn't pulling an Adobe (which is known for software issues and crashing, regardless of your computer)
I'm happy, especially at the price point.
Right now for small projects like live shows I'm using filmora on my 7700k i7 running about 16gb of ddr4 ram, it's only got a nvidia geforce GTX 1050 4gb graphics card, but for small projects and live shows, I can't complain.
I also have a beast running an i7-7820x with 32gb of ddr4 and a nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8gb graphic card, that heavy boys running Adobe right now and I absolutely hate it. I want to end my subscription because I'm finding I use it less and less, so if this is a decent runner up, I would for sure rather pay one instalment under 300$, over the monthly 50$ fee.

Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
Cool
Yeah I batch shoot a lot of footage at once, so as long as a program isn't pulling an Adobe (which is known for software issues and crashing, regardless of your computer)
I'm happy, especially at the price point.
Right now for small projects like live shows I'm using filmora on my 7700k i7 running about 16gb of ddr4 ram, it's only got a nvidia geforce GTX 1050 4gb graphics card, but for small projects and live shows, I can't complain.
I also have a beast running an i7-7820x with 32gb of ddr4 and a nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8gb graphic card, that heavy boys running Adobe right now and I absolutely hate it. I want to end my subscription because I'm finding I use it less and less, so if this is a decent runner up, I would for sure rather pay one instalment under 300$, over the monthly 50$ fee.
Wow If you swap the graphics cards in those machines two you would have a super awesome dual streaming setup, the 7820x could do all the encoding without any issues at all since that type of work doesn't need a graphics card. You must be a real PC hardware enthusiast because it is rare that I find someone who has more impressive hardware than myself outside of a computer hardware forum. I think you are seriously cool. :)

Here in Sweden Adobe software cost even more because of tax and they screw us badly on the currency conversion, so I really dislike them because of that.

Wow If you swap the graphics cards in those machines two you would have a super awesome dual streaming setup, the 7820x could do all the encoding without any issues at all since that type of work doesn't need a graphics card. You must be a real PC hardware enthusiast because it is rare that I find someone who has more impressive hardware than myself outside of a computer hardware forum. I think you are seriously cool. :)

Here in Sweden Adobe software cost even more because of tax and they screw us badly on the currency conversion, so I really dislike them because of that.
Aww thank you, I just got really lucky and got it from a friend that was using it for animation/3D rendering. It powers through long video editing sessions way better than adobe can :p LOL If only I could stream without the mobility of a laptop, should probably cut back on the coffee I guess. LOL
I feel you, in Canada the subscription ends up being about 75$ a month including tax, my old roommate had a license from work that he was letting me use for premier pro, but now that I'm paying for it I'm over it. LOL

Reactions: DJ_Pioneer
The quality and image difference between your phone and webcam will be pretty bold. Personally I would just suggest cutting and moving the camera to get different angles for more cohesive and easier to edit content.

I don’t self shoot often but when I do I use my iPhone6 front facing camera and with good light, it’s never disappointed. I use a free video editing app called Splice. Easy peasy

• Helpful!
Reactions: SaffronBurke
Newer phone's video quality is better than webcam's, so that would probably be a good place to start and with 3 point lighting! I agree that Davinci Resolve is the best video editing software, along with Final Cut Pro, but it can get quite technical and not everyone's cup of tea. My recommendation would be Filmora as well and you don't have to learn color correction with it, it can be used for things as simple as jump cuts and you can input a watermark using a transparent PNG file on a PIP layer scaled down in the bottom corner of your clips. It also has nifty text, transition, and effects options and is a pretty easy program to learn!

If you're looking for a camera upgrade, there's many choices. I personally have been enjoying the Canon G7X camera and it works great for POV clips as well. Have at least $1-3k saved up for a camera upgrade before you go shopping, the best ones get pricey!

• Helpful!
Reactions: Miss_Behayvin
Status
Not open for further replies.