AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

MFC crashes again

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an MMO, there are weekly server and database maintenance periods, after which things often get better, but occasionally get worse if something with an update went wrong. Then there is a period of instability while the problems are fixed, and then things are usually pretty smooth for a while.

I had to go in today on a day our company is closed, because we had to take down a couple of servers to upgrade some hardware. We never could have done it while the company was open, because too many people use the applications and data on those servers during the work day. Our email was offline for a while, but that was unavoidable. No emails were being sent out, and incoming emails will still arrive, and no one at the company, except our annoying salespeople with their Blackberries, or anywhere else will notice the delay.

MFC never shuts down. MFC has to do the same type of maintenance occasionally, but they don't allow for an extended downtime because, unlike with MMOs, those would cut into the livelihoods of the models, who often are only able to work during certain hours. As a result, they try to do their maintenance and apply changes on the fly. Bad things can happen, just like with MMOs and there are unannounced restarts and the occasional crash, and things eventually settle down.

TL;DR: Shit happens. It happens for a reason, and it's occasionally unavoidable.

i AM protesting, naked, ALL BY MYSELF :(

no one can see me... sad............

Oh well, I hope that whatever the update was, it's worth it and it smoothes things out for a while !!

MFC crashes as Candie Cane and Jayln are about to begin a show together!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just entering "the zone" to start cumming. I looked up and it was POOF. :evil:

Some News Feed quotes from models about this crash. (In order of when entered)

Localgirl69: MFc is dumb

KateJenkins: Why did i got booted?MFC???

LucyOHara: Huh... I think my broadcast window just farted :[

Eva_ChangeN: I CANT LOG MY CAM BACK ON WTF!!!!

Lacey_Ann: what is going on

LucyOHara: Party in the news feed :)! 3

SavannahSteel: Now I can't get my cam 2 start ugh!!! Happy Cam-A-Versary 2 me! xoxo

Tayler: Of course MFC crashes right when it starts to get fun..

LucyOHara: Happy Cam-A-Versary Savannah :D You're so hot you broke it... lol

SizzleMeWet: it happing too often

YAY! I was mentioned in something other than a topic I started LOL WOOT for me! BTW- after the crash soooo no worth being on cam *sigh*

Sevrin said:
In an MMO, there are weekly server and database maintenance periods, after which things often get better, but occasionally get worse if something with an update went wrong. Then there is a period of instability while the problems are fixed, and then things are usually pretty smooth for a while.

I had to go in today on a day our company is closed, because we had to take down a couple of servers to upgrade some hardware. We never could have done it while the company was open, because too many people use the applications and data on those servers during the work day. Our email was offline for a while, but that was unavoidable. No emails were being sent out, and incoming emails will still arrive, and no one at the company, except our annoying salespeople with their Blackberries, or anywhere else will notice the delay.

MFC never shuts down. MFC has to do the same type of maintenance occasionally, but they don't allow for an extended downtime because, unlike with MMOs, those would cut into the livelihoods of the models, who often are only able to work during certain hours. As a result, they try to do their maintenance and apply changes on the fly. Bad things can happen, just like with MMOs and there are unannounced restarts and the occasional crash, and things eventually settle down.

TL;DR: Shit happens. It happens for a reason, and it's occasionally unavoidable.

Having been employed by Hewlett Packard VDO-PMO (Volume Direct Operations Program Management Office), for over 11 years, I somewhat agree.

20+ recurring crashes (of 1-5 minutes each) in far less than 10 hours (I am being generous) during any given day (tri-weekly?) is "extended downtime", no matter how you slice it, though.

Instead of going into detail about how MFC developers implement MTPs (Move To Production) on the fly, without first thoroughly testing the MTPs in a non-production environment, I will simply ask this:
Are models (especially) and members actually taking the time to use the "Contact Support" link to report obvious, repeated, site crashes? Have models and members collectively pursued any sort of escalation path beyond the contact form?

Maybe my background in operational/infrastructure development and deployment makes me less tolerant than most other people. Having a front page splash of "MFC will be offline from 10AM-11AM MFC Time" certainly seems more intuitive and better inline with "best practices" than disrupting multiple public chats, group shows, and private shows - unannounced - 20+ times - within a handful of hours.

Are you all satisfied with status quo?

Please be honest because model chat (rooms) and member chat (lounges) seems to indicate otherwise. :)

TL;DR: Shit happens. It happens for a reason, and it can often be attributed to careless errors or poor planning (same difference). Root cause analysis, via exposure (reporting and escalation of observed/repeated occurrences), is the best path to resolving core issue(s).

no hard feelings (and no pun intended - especially when there are days that MFC is down more than it is up ha ha)

levka said:
All i gots to say is.......

33wv0oo.jpg

And its working now so....

102vzow.jpg
Hahah my favorite post of the week.

dang what a hard start to the new year, not only been slow but right when i get a good thang going it crashes and i can tell until noone starts typing :(

Is it down again? I just lost the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.