AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Must Read Books

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some kinky goodness, with Kindle links:

As She's Told by Anneke Jacob
http://www.amazon.com/As-Shes-Told-...w.amazon.com/Male-Chastity-Gui ... 284&sr=1-2

Undead & Unwed, first book of the Queen Betsy series by Mary Janice Davidson (you'll love it if you love romance with a lot of comedy)
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin (first book is Game of Thrones, like the tv series name)
Vampire Earth series by EE Knight
Trumpet of the Swan by EB White
Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
The Little Prince
Handmaid's Tale
Canterbury Tales

if you like suspense and mystery i would suggest:

Armageddon Rock from George R.R.Martin - a mystery story about a fictious rockband - i swear i can hear the music playing in my ear when i read this.
All from Jonathan Carroll - his stories play in a a weird but fascinating world.
All from Tim Powers...

More mundane
The Geisha - Arthur Golden (better than the movie)
A prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving (fascinating Storytelling!)

SF
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card (a classic )
Stardance - Spider Robinson (hold the handkerchiefs ready)
Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold (you have to love the handicapped smartass that is the main character)

Fantasy
The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay (don't know why - but i cannot read that without tears)
Kane - Karl Edward Wagner (how Conan should have been)
The Belgariad - David Eddings
DragonRider - Anne McCaffrey (only the old ones are good)

Traditio said:
if you like suspense and mystery i would suggest:

Armageddon Rock from George R.R.Martin - a mystery story about a fictious rockband - i swear i can hear the music playing in my ear when i read this.
All from Jonathan Carroll - his stories play in a a weird but fascinating world.
All from Tim Powers...

More mundane
The Geisha - Arthur Golden (better than the movie)
A prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving (fascinating Storytelling!)

SF
Enders Game - Orson Scott Card (a classic )
Stardance - Spider Robinson (hold the handkerchiefs ready)
Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold (you have to love the handicapped smartass that is the main character)

Fantasy
The Fionavar Tapestry - Guy Gavriel Kay (don't know why - but i cannot read that without tears)
Kane - Karl Edward Wagner (how Conan should have been)
The Belgariad - David Eddings
DragonRider - Anne McCaffrey (only the old ones are good)

I definitely second Ender's Game series, Fionavar Tapestry and the Belgariad.

Intensity by Dean Koontz. Such a great book. Dean usually likes mixing humor with his horror, but he didn't do it with this one, making it even more a page turner because it is just so intense! It's about a girl that goes with her friend for Thanksgiving, and they all get slaughtered, and she follows the guy back to his place cuz she heard he has a girl locked in his basement that she wants to save.

The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas. Historical mystery based off a poem about a real life Duchess. It was amazing and had me staying up as late as I could muster just to read the next chapter! (Had a few HOT scenes too...)

Slights by Kaaron Warren Creepy ass book. This chick almost dies and gets sent to this "dark room" where everyone she has ever pissed off "slighted" tortures her. After she comes back, she becomes obsessed with this room. Has slow moments that has nothing to do with the Slights, but a good book regardless.

I'm a HUGE reader, mostly of horror, mystery and mythological creatures in the young adult section of the bookstore. Always looking for new books to read, or offer my own ideas of what people might want to read!

QueenMeadow said:
Intensity by Dean Koontz. Such a great book. Dean usually likes mixing humor with his horror, but he didn't do it with this one, making it even more a page turner because it is just so intense! It's about a girl that goes with her friend for Thanksgiving, and they all get slaughtered, and she follows the guy back to his place cuz she heard he has a girl locked in his basement that she wants to save.

The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas. Historical mystery based off a poem about a real life Duchess. It was amazing and had me staying up as late as I could muster just to read the next chapter! (Had a few HOT scenes too...)

Slights by Kaaron Warren Creepy ass book. This chick almost dies and gets sent to this "dark room" where everyone she has ever pissed off "slighted" tortures her. After she comes back, she becomes obsessed with this room. Has slow moments that has nothing to do with the Slights, but a good book regardless.

I'm a HUGE reader, mostly of horror, mystery and mythological creatures in the young adult section of the bookstore. Always looking for new books to read, or offer my own ideas of what people might want to read!

I second Dean Koontz. His earlier work is brilliant!

The Riverworld Series - Phillip Jose Farmer

(Zelazny once said that Riverworld inspired the Amber Series)

Nordling said:

Yeah I've read a couple of that series, I always used to have trouble finding some because they were out of print at the time...might have to check I'm sure they're all around now

Jupiter551 said:
Nordling said:

Yeah I've read a couple of that series, I always used to have trouble finding some because they were out of print at the time...might have to check I'm sure they're all around now
The first three are the best and I think there's a "Compleat" version under one cover that has all the best novels.

[quote="Lydia_Deetz"

I second Dean Koontz. His earlier work is brilliant![/quote]

What do you consider the line between early and newer work?
I loved TICK TOCK ! Have you read? MAN! He wrote it right after Intensity, and made it extra funny to clear his mind after Intensity.
Love love love LOVE that one!

It is about a Vietnamese guy who has made his own life very American. One night he finds a Rag Doll on his door step, brings it inside and it comes alive and tries to kill him. Awesome book with some great (funny) characters!

QueenMeadow said:
I loved TICK TOCK ! Have you read? MAN! He wrote it right after Intensity, and made it extra funny to clear his mind after Intensity.
Love love love LOVE that one!

It is about a Vietnamese guy who has made his own life very American. One night he finds a Rag Doll on his door step, brings it inside and it comes alive and tries to kill him. Awesome book with some great (funny) characters!

Actually, he wrote Tick Tock while he was writing Dark Rivers of the Heart. He said DRotH was such a dark book that he needed something to make him laugh and tick tock was that book. DRotH btw is a great book as well.

I personally loved most of it up to Odd Thomas. I'm also annoyed that he has never written the third Christopher Snow novel. He was my favorite author when I was in HS and I've read nearly every one of his books. Some other great ones are Hideaway, Watcher, Lightning (which I mentioned before), Dragon Tears, Cold Fire (a favorite of mine), Winter Moon, Door to December, Mr. Murder, and the two currently available books of the Chris Snow series; Fear Nothing, and Seize the Night. I could probably list about thirty more (I don't doubt he has that many!) but those are a few of my favorites.

I love Intensity so much I read it in one night. I simply couldn't put it down. In fact at one point I went to get a drink and felt I had to rush back to the book in case I missed something... then i realized it was a book and laughed at myself. I was just that into it.

Actually, I'm going to correct myself and apologize if I came off sounding like a pompous know it all. He started tick tock with DRotH and finished it after Intensity.

I realize this is completely unimportant but as I couldn't edit my last post and thought I sounded like an ass (unintentionally. Think I was channeling my brother :eek: ) I wanted to correct myself.

PrincessXina said:
Actually, I'm going to correct myself and apologize if I came off sounding like a pompous know it all. He started tick tock with DRotH and finished it after Intensity.

I realize this is completely unimportant but as I couldn't edit my last post and thought I sounded like an ass (unintentionally. Think I was channeling my brother :eek: ) I wanted to correct myself.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only complete dorkface that reads the writings of "behind the scenes". I Love to read how books, and movies come about!

How bout this, we both be right?

QueenMeadow said:
PrincessXina said:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only complete dorkface that reads the writings of "behind the scenes". I Love to read how books, and movies come about!

How bout this, we both be right?

:thumbleft:

And, yes, it's AWESOME that someone else likes to know the behind the scenes stuff!

"the hunger games" trilogy by Suzanne Collins!
read it now before the movie comes out next year.
I am a stone hearted mofo and the books nearly made me cry TWICE!

It takes place in a post apocalyptic USA. An evil government forces the residents of EACH of the other "districts" (who failed at a rebellion 70 some years prior) to send 2 of their children (one boy and one girl) into a last man standing battle to the death!
There is a bit of a love triangle story to it as well but it is mostly about the main character, Katniss (a female), becoming a reluctant hero in another attempt to overthrow the government.

Freq said:

It takes place in a post apocalyptic USA. An evil government forces the residents of EACH of the other "districts" (who failed at a rebellion 70 some years prior) to send 2 of their children (one boy and one girl) into a last man standing battle to the death!
There is a bit of a love triangle story to it as well but it is mostly about the main character, Katniss (a female), becoming a reluctant hero in another attempt to overthrow the government.

Huh that sounds interesting, I like post apocalyptic stuff

Currently reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk - pretty funny, weird, sad and nihilistic..also really good.

Reacher series by Lee Child:
Thriller/mystery where ex-Army MP finds himself in situations where people need his help
First book: Killing Floor (although the books are written to allow stand-alone reading out of sequence)
currently 10+ books in the series

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Supernatural mystery in modern-day Chicago where magic/supernateral is very real but unknown by the population at large
First book: Storm Front (series should probably be read in chronological order)
currently 10+ books in the series

The Commonwealth and Confederation series by Peter F. Hamilton
Hard science fiction action in the far future where humanity faces galaxy-wide threats. Deep character development with a broad cast of primary characters
The Confederation series starts with "The Reality Dysfunction", book 1 of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. Three large books.
The Commonwealth Saga starts with "Pandora's Star". The saga is two (large) books, followed by the Void Trilogy.

Jupiter551 said:
Freq said:

Huh that sounds interesting, I like post apocalyptic stuff

Currently reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk - pretty funny, weird, sad and nihilistic..also really good.

Oh thank goodness! I felt this thread was seriously missing Chuck. He is my current favorite modern writer. Choke is by far my favorite so far. I am currently reading Invisible Monster by chuck. Super good!

Jack Kerouac is never fail and likely to make you a better person!

Hunter s. Thompson is also never fail but will likely make you feel like an evil son of a bitch!

I love fantasy but I read on/off, so my list isn't huge....

HOWEVER, there IS a list.

Harry (mofo) Potter Series
So I'm a dork, but seriously, couldn't put them down. 2nd book is my fave!

Memoirs of a Geisha
Not fantasy but still a wonderful book! Gave me a Geisha fetish for some time.

Poison Study trilogy
It's an easy read and predictable, but good if you just want something fantasy in your face for a little while. A little too much romance for my taste, but still, worth the buy!

Parasol Trilogy
Ok. This one is fun, and I'm still reading the first book! Think Steampunk, gothic, vampires, weres, creatures of fantasy, all mixed into a very Victorian-esque sort of setting. Romance is in there, but it's very steamy, naughty romance so far so I'm not gonna grumble too much.

Call of the Wild
Old and a classic favorite. I used to read this over and over and over.

Alice in Wonderland
Seeing the movie and games is one thing, but reading the actual tale is just amazing! I have a very special edition of AIW because it's just one of the most amazing things I have ever read.

Jane Eyre
A great story! Read it back in highschool and couldn't put it down.

Gullivers Travels
I had to re-read a few chapters of this just to absorb it all, but it is a great book! The movie (the first one, not the newer one) is awesome, too.

The Secret Text trilogy by Holly Lisle
Epiiiiiiiiiic. The first 'adult' fantasy book I read. Wow. Hooked from there!

Rosemary said:

I've read all of them at least twice, most of them four or five times. Getting an itch to reread them as the final movie is coming out. Nothing wrong with liking Harry Potter, J.K. is a fantastic writer.

Now, if you had said Twilight we might have had to have a discussion ;)

Also, Call of the Wild is a favorite of mine as well. It was the first real book I ever read and started me on a lifelong love of reading.

JoleneJolene said:
Oh thank goodness! I felt this thread was seriously missing Chuck. He is my current favorite modern writer. Choke is by far my favorite so far. I am currently reading Invisible Monster by chuck. Super good!

What would Jesus NOT do? hehe

Yeah I think I'm going to read Rant and another Neil Gaiman book they seem to kind of balance each other out in a weird way

Jupiter551 said:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
great book, the sequel, Anansi Boys, is pretty good too.

Which reminds me, I left a book off I really shouldn't have:
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

PrincessXina said:
Rosemary said:

I've read all of them at least twice, most of them four or five times. Getting an itch to reread them as the final movie is coming out. Nothing wrong with liking Harry Potter, J.K. is a fantastic writer.

Now, if you had said Twilight we might have had to have a discussion ;)

Also, Call of the Wild is a favorite of mine as well. It was the first real book I ever read and started me on a lifelong love of reading.

I honestly gave the Twilight books a shot, but I'm not really into romance and mushy....so I had to put it down and walk away.

The Call of the Wild got me into reading too! So good to hear that from someone.

I'm currently reading "Stiff" the secret life of human cadaviers. It's pretty interesting and funny.

Rosemary said:
I honestly gave the Twilight books a shot, but I'm not really into romance and mushy....so I had to put it down and walk away.

Me too, actually. Though it was more than just that I can't stand romance when there isn't something more to the story. I also just think she is a pathetic writer and she needs to go back to HS to learn how to properly form a plot. The first 15 chapters of the first book have NOTHING to do with the climax! All of a sudden some other vampires show up and even though they have a world of humans to feed off of they decide they want to kill this one girl. It's... stupid.

Let's also not forget the fact that she spends half of the book explaining how vampires are the perfect predator and then makes them SPARKLE in sunlight. Yeah, I see Lions sparkling in the sun all the time. Blinds the gazelles so they can take them down easier :woops:

Perhaps I am just bitter because I really wanted to like them, I just couldn't.

I'll stick with Buffy. Spike is all the vampire I'll ever need.
spike.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.