AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Name Change

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlixLynx

I haven't posted recently, hopefully will be back soon!
Inactive Cam Model
Dec 12, 2013
Hi ladies! So here's the deal. I've had my "name" for around a year as a fluke and want to change it. Is this a good idea? This change would be permanent, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so. Do members get upset when you get a new alias? I need some professional opinions :)

BlondeQT4U said:
Hi ladies! So here's the deal. I've had my "name" for around a year as a fluke and want to change it. Is this a good idea? This change would be permanent, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so. Do members get upset when you get a new alias? I need some professional opinions :)

Do you mean get a new account, or just change the name of your current account?

You know. I've thought about doing this too. I came up with my name when I started camming at 18. It was the best I could come up with. But it's so generic. I've been able to think of a million better names since then. But for my entire camming career I've been Natalie Star. And I'm worried that if I change it, people won't know who I am anymore. I don't want to lose what little following I have. Another reason I haven't changed my name, is that on some sites you can't change your username. And even though MFC is my main gig. I am entirely too OCD to have one name on MFC and twitter and a different one on ELM and Kinkbomb. Lol.

I think that if you have a following and you want to change your name you should try to weigh the risks and benefits. Changing your name could confuse people and you could lose a couple regualrs. Once the confusion settles, I imagine it would be business as usual, but idk how long that might take. A new name could potentially be a good marketing tool though. I don't think changing your name from "Princess" to "Rose" is going to help any. No point in switching one generic name to another except for personal preference. But if you're trying to appeal to a different crowd then a name change might be powerful. For example if you're going from "AssGapePrincess" to "LovingRose" that's going to attract different people.

On MFC, your regulars won't care. If they have you on their favorites list, changing the name on the account doesn't remove you from their favorites, so you will still pop up at the top of the page for them.

I would recommend keeping the same avatar when you make the switch, that way when they see a strange name on their favorites they will still recognize the picture.

I don't know how it works on other sites.

I mainly perv on MFC and I agree with Kunra9. On there it doesn't really matter for regulars. And you probably could warn people a week or two in advance in your chat and on Twitter that the name change is going to happen.

Reactions: AlixLynx
Sorry, I mean change the name that's on my current account.

I might be very wrong, but... Dunno, I sometimes used to search for an specific model, and only remembered the name or part of it (a partial chain works too, like in Google). It might not be one of your regulars, and never have paid you tokens, but he might be a potential customer, those tokens would be lost. One uses the search for this. Change your name and you might loose quite some tokens (at least, following this logic, and knowing the little I know about it). Of course, it all can happen. You get to set such a great name, and also have some luck, and your new nick brings you fame and fortune. But I would not bet on that, personally.

I don't have the experience others have here, this only is what tells me common sense right now, and maybe also my average experience working in SEO stuff for companies. In this kind of thing... I would say it might hurt your promotion if you have been camming sometime, probably. I would need *a lot* of info, to know well. IE, how internally the servers of myfreecams are handled, for example. What SEM/SEO techniques do they use. If they are banned or blacklisted in several sites for backlinks. A large etc. (and more knowledge, as I know just a bit more than the average Joe about this) . But in my view... You have an important page in the case of MFC. The profile page. It's sth like profiles.myfreecams.... /your_nick_name.

I... might be wrong, but that, being a full url, might have got quite some clicks, visits, and it might have certain weight in google (not rank, as this would be a case of a full domain), in many cases, specially those being around more than very few months. You might loose all those SEO benefits, like whenever you change an URL. And no way to make 301 redirections here, you don't control their servers...

Basically I mean: Not only you loose the potential members searching internally for you, using built-in MFC search system (quite good and fast, btw). You might be also destroying quite some Google related "points", and so, traffic to those profile pages. I'm betting... not only for people doing just random searches using terms like cam, sex, or any other content showing up in your profile pages (indeed, maybe some discover MFC due to your profile pages!) , but also, users lazy enough, or not realizing there's a search feature in MFC, will just google the model name, lol... And tried, it pops up first result, no probs, unless is sth like "Sasha Gre" or something... Then would be buried, surely, under several result pages.

Excuse me is I'm way off the reality here. I don't know MFC internals or the like... Just speaking generally about a site and case like this...

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
I've changed my name various times for various reasons. One thing I will say is if you have a following many may not come by your room again until 6 months from now, and say something along the lines of "Uh, you used to have a different name right?". Needless to say after changing my name so many time...I'm not about to say don't do it, but instead be smart about it. Make sure to change anything like Twitter/Steam/whatever else account to the new name if you want (perhaps do this ahead of time to get them used to it). Just don't be shocked if your room count goes down to half or less if they can't easily find you.

Reactions: Finebrush
Finebrush said:
I might be very wrong, but... Dunno, I sometimes used to search for an specific model, and only remembered the name or part of it (a partial chain works too, like in Google). It might not be one of your regulars, and never have paid you tokens, but he might be a potential customer, those tokens would be lost. One uses the search for this. Change your name and you might loose quite some tokens (at least, following this logic, and knowing the little I know about it).

if searching on MFC, most likely the model will have added the old screen name to tags and even used it in the topic for a period of time, thus a search for that old name will still work.

Probably more than one model wont be aware of the trick... But hopefully most will do. Anyway, about the SEO loss of your profile url being changed, IMHO that still would be happening...

Status
Not open for further replies.