AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

New Computer

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2017
I don't know a lot (really nothing lol) about computer specs. Right now I regularly use a Dell laptop that I got in like 2011 or something. It's definitely dying haha. I was wondering if anyone could help me out or at least point me in the direction of someone who could help me. I'm looking for a laptop that would be good for camming. I also play one game (Sims 3, judge me lol) and I'd like to get Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop Elements and I use Microsoft Office regularly (mainly Word). I'm looking to stay under $1000. I'm toying with the idea of getting a gaming laptop because I've heard they usually have great performance compared to casual pc laptops. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Something like this might be what you are looking for...

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834316435

or

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834154819

The first represents better value and is a more powerful machine.

Here are some things to look for:

• 16GB if RAM (this is memory, rule of thumb the more the better, for what you are looking to do 16GB is what you want)
  • i7 processor (this is the brain of the computer, look at the model number after the i7. It will be something like this i7-8750. The first number, 8, in this case, tells you what generation the processor is - you want the number to be 8 or 7, this means a 7th or 8th generation processor. Any number lower than this means you are buying a old computer... the next three numbers tell you how fast the processor is, the higher the better, but really any i7 of the current 2 generations should do the job.
  • Graphics Card (really only needed for gaming). Look for GeForce 1050 or 1060 or in the older generation GeForce 960 or 970 cards. You need these only for gaming, there are better and much more expensive cards around if you are serious about gaming, but these will do whatever you want at a reasonable price.
  • Hard drive (the storage). SSD - solid state drive (like in a USB or what your phone uses) are much faster than the old type disk drives, but are more expensive, 250MB should be sufficient. Remember you can buy a USB drive if you need additional storage later...
That should be the basics, Amazon also has great deals going. If you find a laptop that you are not sure about you can post a link and we can take a look at it.

Good luck!

Gaming laptops? things to know about gaming laptops - they run hot, you can't really upgrade, they weigh a ton, they die fast (then again, so do any laptop if you put them on top of a duvet, which covers the air vents, leading to overheating. Poor laptop placement causing ventilation issues is definitely a killer! Always on a desk, a padded tray - as in padded underneath, hard level tray top above, so easy on the knees or surface placed upon - or other non sinking surface is good).

I wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop though. You don't need specs for "Word", you don't need specs for Sims 3 either. And unless you're doing renders (unlikely) then a dedicated graphics card isn't a necessity for video editing either - unless you're serious about video editing. So sounds like overkill. Anyway, here's the requirements for what you've listed so far:

The Sims™ 3 Minimum Hardware Requirements
FOR WINDOWS XP
  • 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
  • The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
  • Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
  • At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games
FOR WINDOWS VISTA
  • 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
  • 1.5 GB RAM
  • 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1
  • At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games
and for Adobe

• Multicore processor with 64-bit support
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or Windows 8.1 (64 bit), or Windows 10 (64 bit). However Windows 10 is recommended
  • Supporting Windows 10 Creator Edition & Dial
  • 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
  • 8 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
  • 1280x800 display (1920x1080 or larger recommended)
  • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
  • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*
However, best to ask other models what the requirements are for a laptop for streaming on cam. The links provided above about the Acer would certainly fit the bill - in fact, exceed it, but if that's your budget then maybe that's what is best to spend. But if you need something left over for the decent cam (i.e $100) then perhaps downscale slightly. All I will say is most laptops allow for expansion of memory - so if you were cutting a corner, perhaps a little less memory that you can easily expand down the line is an approach (8Gb min I guess, expand by 8Gb in a month or so).

For example, if you only play Sims 3 or facebook games and no intention to game - you don't need a great gfx card in the laptop (dedicated graphics card) as most new processors would suffice to achieve the graphics as well. If you want or think you may, then go for the one recommnded or something similar - as the one thing you definitely cannot upgrade is the graphics (or the CPU). Both hard drive and memory can be replaced/improved upon at a later date if necessary.

Last edited:
Something like this might be what you are looking for...

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834316435

or

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834154819

The first represents better value and is a more powerful machine.

Here are some things to look for:

• 16GB if RAM (this is memory, rule of thumb the more the better, for what you are looking to do 16GB is what you want)
  • i7 processor (this is the brain of the computer, look at the model number after the i7. It will be something like this i7-8750. The first number, 8, in this case, tells you what generation the processor is - you want the number to be 8 or 7, this means a 7th or 8th generation processor. Any number lower than this means you are buying a old computer... the next three numbers tell you how fast the processor is, the higher the better, but really any i7 of the current 2 generations should do the job.
  • Graphics Card (really only needed for gaming). Look for GeForce 1050 or 1060 or in the older generation GeForce 960 or 970 cards. You need these only for gaming, there are better and much more expensive cards around if you are serious about gaming, but these will do whatever you want at a reasonable price.
  • Hard drive (the storage). SSD - solid state drive (like in a USB or what your phone uses) are much faster than the old type disk drives, but are more expensive, 250MB should be sufficient. Remember you can buy a USB drive if you need additional storage later...
That should be the basics, Amazon also has great deals going. If you find a laptop that you are not sure about you can post a link and we can take a look at it.

Good luck!

omg thank you!! that all makes enough sense that i can at least feel a bit more confident looking. seriously, thank you so much!!

Reactions: OldHippy
Hard drive (the storage). SSD - solid state drive (like in a USB or what your phone uses) are much faster than the old type disk drives, but are more expensive, 250MB should be sufficient. Remember you can buy a USB drive if you need additional storage later...

Did you maybe mean 250gb? 250mb is NOTHING. Most of the raw video files from my camera are 1gb or more, with only 250mb of storage I wouldn't even be able to edit anything. I have 2tb on my laptop, and a 2tb external hard drive that I move everything to after it's been uploaded everywhere it needs to go, and that sucker is almost full!

I've been wondering about this too actually! My Acer is cracked and sad and missing keys :(
I have a console for gaming, so my laptop doesn't need much beyond being able to cam and access the Internet. Does anyone know if Chromebooks fit the bill for camgirls?
Please do not go to a chrome book!

Chaturbate actually told me these were the laptops they recommend (email below) and I found a perfect site to get my laptop from! I actually just purchased it early this morning using Affirm.com which has been a complete GOD-SEND! I PAID NOTHING TODAY and I only have to pay $175 for the next 12 months because THATS THE PAYMENT PLAN I SELECTED! I am honestly soooo happy to spread the word about this to you ladies, because I don’t know how many times I tried to do a go fund me page but I AM NOT ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Knowing that if I could get a loan I’d pay it off quickly but explaining to a loan officer what I do and showing my tax return was a fricken nightmare! If any of you guys are like me I am extremely prideful and hate asking and love to grind for myself..this site will get you the laptop you WANT/NEED and with a payment plan you know about in advance and don’t have to come out of pocket before you get it! If you’re also like me you’ll pay it off in 5 or 6 if not sooner! I really hope this is helpful and as far as what Chaturbate says is recommended:

Dear oxlemon,
The best setup for you will depend entirely on your budget. We recommend reviewing the following list of the top laptops for the current year:

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-laptops-1304361

Additionally, below are some notable mentions from the list provided above:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...6Y4GZS9C&ascsubtag=trd-7711786675395152576-20

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...c=AFC-C8Junction-CS&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-CS--Gaming%20Laptops-MSI-34154808R&cmsp=&AID=11886886&PID=6361382&SID=trd-1189627957469765039

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13/spd/xps-13-9360-laptop

Thank you,
Support

End of email.

I went with the MacBook Pro listed number 4 on the top link, because even though it’s more expensive I AM SO DONE WITH WINDOWS UPDATES! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been entertaining over a thousand viewers and my laptop shows the blue screen AFTER I ALREADY UPDATED 3 TIMES THAT DAY! IM DONE WITH WINDOWS..and I’ve grown up with Macs..but whatever you choose I hope that website helps as they work with SOOOOO MANY COMPANIES!

HAPPY CAMMING! GO KILL EM!

I don't know a lot (really nothing lol) about computer specs. Right now I regularly use a Dell laptop that I got in like 2011 or something. It's definitely dying haha. I was wondering if anyone could help me out or at least point me in the direction of someone who could help me. I'm looking for a laptop that would be good for camming. I also play one game (Sims 3, judge me lol) and I'd like to get Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop Elements and I use Microsoft Office regularly (mainly Word). I'm looking to stay under $1000. I'm toying with the idea of getting a gaming laptop because I've heard they usually have great performance compared to casual pc laptops. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would never judge anyone who plays the Sims 3. Its arguably the best one to date! I'm playing it again for the second time and I'm proud to announce that my Sims just had a baby.

As for computers this is a question that I receive almost everyday. Computer shopping is intimidating somewhat but it doesnt have to be. I recently wrote an article to help cammers better understand what the specs in advertisements mean and what to look for while doing your research. This way you'll be fully equipped with knowledge when you walk into the store and hopefully the experience will be less intimidating. You can find it here http://boleynmodels.com/blog/computer-shopping-for-cammodels/

I'm always down for some tech talk.

• Helpful!
Reactions: OldHippy
Status
Not open for further replies.