AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

New survey of cam site users, soliciting responses on CB

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2020
Tonight on CB, beneath the video in any room I visited, I noticed this text:

“Participate in research! Take the Webcam User 2022 survey, administered by a third party.”

I checked out the link. It’s a survey being administered by some professors at the University of Portland.

They’re asking for truthful (and fully anonymous) responses from cam site users about their demographic breakdown (income bracket, education level, age, ethnicity, etc), sexual habits (cam site or otherwise), frequency of cam site visits, what they like to do while there, what kind of behavior they like and dislike from models, and a ton of other topics.

They even mention this forum by name in one of the questions (asking users if they ever visit forums such as this one).

Is this survey popping up for other members here? And is it only on CB, or have they solicited feedback on MFC, Stripchat or other sites too?

I have to admit, based on the wide range of topics they asked about, I’d be very curious to see the findings once the survey data is reviewed. I’m curious how typical or atypical my habits and opinions are compared to other members.

Reactions: yummybrownfox
I do visit Chaturbate rooms, but not through chaturbate.com, instead of that through nudelive.com
I'd call it a third-party website.

I didn't see any links on that other site. Would you please post it here, Smoothie?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
please do it guys!! PLEASE. these damn college punks are always trying to study us like we are in a god damn zoo. if they see there are OTHER aspects of the industry to/need study, maybe they will leave us the fuck alone. lol

hopefully being a catholic college isn't an influence. but being raised catholic, i'm familiar with how a bunch of us are a bunch of repressed kinky sluts.

ETA:
I do visit Chaturbate rooms, but not through chaturbate.com, instead of that through nudelive.com
I'd call it a third-party website.

select chaturbate. you are visiting a whitelabel, but it's still chaturbate.com. if you go to chaturbate.com you can probably still log in with your same username/password. might be easier to find there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just completed it. Interesting variety of questions!

Definitely. You can see the different assumptions they’re trying to investigate based on the nature of some of the questions.

For those hesitant to view the link or participate, here are some screenshots to give you a small idea of what’s being asked of cam site users.

Attachments

• C28E63CC-96A9-4D50-AFD4-4F664E2A9D44.jpeg
    C28E63CC-96A9-4D50-AFD4-4F664E2A9D44.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B592F8EA-86A0-49FB-B1A1-BA58FA821238.jpeg
    B592F8EA-86A0-49FB-B1A1-BA58FA821238.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 20
  • DE20DB08-03EB-4DB3-8A64-1781B2896005.jpeg
    DE20DB08-03EB-4DB3-8A64-1781B2896005.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 9FE5B563-3FA9-4EEF-ACE3-6457496C36BD.jpeg
    9FE5B563-3FA9-4EEF-ACE3-6457496C36BD.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 18
  • BFCC382C-06F1-48E1-BD72-B1FF5CE903D6.jpeg
    BFCC382C-06F1-48E1-BD72-B1FF5CE903D6.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 0C87AD81-3DB2-4AEB-8D13-7897DA461CEE.jpeg
    0C87AD81-3DB2-4AEB-8D13-7897DA461CEE.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 5DDA23CD-08EF-4E03-B57A-BA28A2AA3C9A.jpeg
    5DDA23CD-08EF-4E03-B57A-BA28A2AA3C9A.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
Definitely. You can see the different assumptions they’re trying to investigate based on the nature of some of the questions.

For those hesitant to view the link or participate, here are some screenshots to give you a small idea of what’s being asked of cam site users.
Screenshot_2.jpg

a man wrote this.

Upvote 0
Is this survey popping up for other members here?
Out of curiosity, I just logged into the site. Nothing pops up on my side, though.

They’re asking for truthful
It's not clear to me how they are going to verify the truthfulness/accuracy of the information given. I suppose it undermines the whole value of the survey, hence making it pointless. It might be useful to collect some users' data, I suppose, even though those data could be totally made up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, I just logged into the site. Nothing pops up on my side, though.

It's not clear to me how they are going to verify the truthfulness/accuracy of the information given, which I assume it undermines the whole value of the survey, hence making it pointless.

Sorry, “popping up” was a poor choice of words on my part. It’s just a line of text underneath the video box, with a link.

Yeah, all they can really do is ask for truthfulness and hope that the anonymity of the survey encourages people not to hold back. I gave truthful answers because I’m genuinely curious what the survey findings will be, and that depends on people avoiding fiction.

They also give you the option to completely skip any question you don’t want to answer. I guess that’s a decent alternative to lying … if you don’t want to share the truth, just skip the question.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Just_A_Guy
Upvote 0
They also give you the option to completely skip any question you don’t want to answer
Yes, I've just read the questions. It is also my opinion that since the University is explicitly mentioning this forum in his survey, the least they could do is to put their money where their mouth is - as the saying goes - and support the forum. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've just read the questions. It is also my opinion that since the University is explicitly mentioning this forum in his survey, the least they could do is to put their money where their mouth is - as they saying goes - and support the forum. Just my 2 cents.

I thought about that too. All I can figure is if they’re asking cam site users if they ever visit forums like ACF, they may have been trying not to skew the results by posting a link here (oops, haha).

• Funny!
Reactions: Just_A_Guy
Upvote 0
I thought exactly the same thing when reading this.

Also what is "physically attractive and healthy appearance?" I get physically attractive (for someone) but healthy? And putting these 2 together like they can't exist without each other?

"Fallen in love or become emotionally attached to a cammer" in one question also seems like a weird choice to me. I believe some emotional attachment can be often expected and quite okay, while falling in love is usually very problematic, unhealthy and can lead to making some very bad choices in a tattoo shop.

Upvote 0
I thought exactly the same thing when reading this.

Also what is "physically attractive and healthy appearance?" I get physically attractive (for someone) but healthy? And putting these 2 together like they can't exist without each other?

"Fallen in love or become emotionally attached to a cammer" in one question also seems like a weird choice to me. I believe some emotional attachment can be often expected and quite okay, while falling in love is usually very problematic, unhealthy and can lead to making some very bad choices in a tattoo shop.
i especially like the "going to camsites makes me feel bad about myself and my dick dont work" parts. the catholic guilt is nostalgic.

Upvote 0
Don't forget that anyone can contact and share with them critiques, questions, requests, etc.

Researchers:
Xtine Milrod info(at)xtinemilrod.com
Martin Monto monto(at)up.edu

Research participant rights:
Institutional Review Board irb(at)up.edu

• Helpful!
Reactions: inertvolcano
Upvote 0
Don't forget that anyone can contact and share with them critiques, questions, requests, etc.
If I lived in Portland and paid my taxes there, I most definitely would. I would especially ask them how much money they have allocated for this kind of research and whether they consider it a scientific survey. It's more like an opinion pool.

Upvote 0
I don't trust the info gathered by a lot of these types of research and surveys. Because all the Members who are slamming busy, and have to prioritize their time and tasks, for time management reasons, likely won't be completing them. That's a huge segment of individuals. So although the results will be interesting; they won't be generalizable to anything more than a specific segment of cam users. Much like the info on chat forums, is mainly from a segment of cam users who have extra time, and have a social motivation also. There are many, many people who don't have that extra time, although they do visit cam sites and spend money. Just like there are many who wouldn't get an intrinsic social payoff for participating in forums, and sharing information. And that's fine, everyone's different, but as far as generalizing results go to a group of Members, as if they were one homogenous group... it just won't be possible.

Upvote 0
[post moved into this thread by admin]

Kind of interesting. Link appears below tipping section where you select Theater Mode, etc. Does everyone see this or is it more of a random selection thing? Not sure whether I'd bother to do it or not... probably not.

Welcome to the Survey!

You are invited to participate in a research project that seeks to better understand adults who engage with online webcam sites and webcam models. Participation consists of answering questions from an online survey that we expect will take about 15-20 minutes to complete. Your participation is completely voluntary and highly appreciated! To decide whether you want to take the survey, please read the statement below, so that you understand the risks and benefits enough to make an informed decision.

Informed Consent Statement
The title of the survey is “Webcam User Survey 2022.” The research is being done by Xtine Milrod, PhD, email: info@xtinemilrod.com, and Martin Monto, PhD, University of Portland, email: monto@up.edu. Your participation in this study is voluntary, and the decision to participate or not to participate is solely up to you. In addition, you may withdraw at any time after you have started answering the survey.

The study asks participants about past and present sexual behavior. Some of the questions concern sensitive topics such as masturbation, partnered sex, and attitudes/opinions of online sex with webcam models. You are in no way obligated to answer any of the questions and should feel free to withdraw if you find that the questions cause emotional discomfort. However, if you choose to answer the questions, we ask that you do answer them truthfully.

We do not collect identifying information such as your name, email address, phone number, physical address, or IP address, and it will not be linked in any way to the study. The responses will be automatically deleted from the survey website by our survey partner Qualtrics. The answers will be turned into numbers, and the raw data will be kept in password-protected files and accessed only by the researchers. Though we will do everything possible to keep your information confidential, global internet security breaches suggest that one can never completely guarantee anonymity.

The results of this study will be used primarily for scholarly purposes. Your de-identified responses will contribute to social science and provide empirical information about sexual behavior among webcam users. The topic of human sexuality is interesting to most adults, and we hope that you find the survey interesting as well. However, we cannot guarantee that you will personally experience benefits from participating in this study.

The results will be available to all participants, either by directly contacting investigators or by reviewing publications or reports where we report our findings. However, because we do not retain any of your personal information, you will not be contacted by us again. If you have any questions about the study, you may contact the researchers at monto@up.edu or info@xtinemilrod.com. If you have questions about your rights as a research participant, you may contact the human subjects Institutional Review Board at the University of Portland at irb@up.edu.

Clicking on the "AGREE" button below indicates that:
- You have read the above information.
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- You voluntarily agree to participate.
- You are prepared to answer the questions as truthfully as you can.

If you do not wish to participate in the research study, please decline participation by clicking on the "DISAGREE" button. Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I did this and did answer honestly, I can remember there being a few questions that were a bit "meh" to me, but I didn't mind most of them.
Not sure why but the survey is showing again for me, but I sure ain't doing that again.

I usually only do surveys like this if I get paid for them (mTurk, prolific and other similar sites).

Reactions: Smoothie
Upvote 0
I did this and did answer honestly, I can remember there being a few questions that were a bit "meh" to me, but I didn't mind most of them.
Not sure why but the survey is showing again for me, but I sure ain't doing that again.

I usually only do surveys like this if I get paid for them (mTurk, prolific and other similar sites).

I still see the survey link too, even though I already answered the survey. Either it doesn’t try to exclude duplicates, or it excludes them after you try to take the survey again (which I haven’t/won’t).

Reactions: NotYou
Upvote 0
The fact that the link still appears to those who have completed it is good from the point that it suggests there may not be any association with your username and actions/history on the site (for example by inserting your username via a script when you click on the link), but the flip side is that the survey can be completed more than once by the same individual, which would skew the accuracy of the results.

Reactions: Smoothie and NotYou
Upvote 0
I clicked "dismiss" so it goes away so I can't test it, but if it works at all like how survey sites I use work where it is legit real studies, then it usually tracks by IP, or by browser.
But, I just opened incognito mode, grabbed the URL, closed incognito, went back to my regular browser/account, opened it up, and it works again for me, so that is definitely stupid.

Upvote 0
There's a couple of aspects of the disclaimer that I noted with interest, copied and pasted below.
Although I did go ahead and complete the full survey, it made me wonder if they are somehow able to gather more info than just the responses to each question:

"We do not collect identifying information such as your name, email address, phone number, physical address, or IP address, and it will not be linked in any way to the study."
(so what do they mean by 'it', if they don't gather any of that data??)

"Though we will do everything possible to keep your information confidential, global internet security breaches suggest that one can never completely guarantee anonymity."
(what information? there was nothing that could ID me in the responses I submitted)

"However, because we do not retain any of your personal information, you will not be contacted by us again."
(I'd be happier if they had used the term 'obtain' rather than 'retain'.......)

Reactions: NotYou
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.