AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Newbie Questions / Which Site is Best?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2013
Hi! So, I'm considering becoming a cam girl. I still have a lot to learn and do before I can really get started though. I just found this site and thought I'd ask a few questions! Sorry if these have been asked here before, I'm sure they have, but any help is appreciated.

1) What are the best sites to sign up for? I've heard Chaturbate as well as Streamate. What do you guys think? Can anyone tell me the basics of these sites, the pros and cons, how much they pay, etc?
2) Fake names. How do you come up with them?
3) What kind of things do you wish you knew starting out? Any tips, advice? Have any websites or youtube videos that are good reads/watches?

Thanks so much guys. I've probably left out a lot of questions, so any and all information you think I could use please feel free to mention. Thanks again!

Slasherbabe said:
1) What are the best sites to sign up for? I've heard Chaturbate as well as Streamate. What do you guys think? Can anyone tell me the basics of these sites, the pros and cons, how much they pay, etc?

Myfreecams, Streamate and Chaturbate seem to be the most popular sites right now, but there are many other sites out there.

Pros and cons will vary from person to person and there's a thread here that a few people weighed in on viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13166

Streamate pays 35% and is a private-based site (all shows are done in some form of paid chat), Myfreecams pays 5 cents per token and allows shows to be done in public chat or in private/group.

Slasherbabe said:

You just think of one, I guess. I combined the last names of two of my favorite authors and got Allison Wilder.

Slasherbabe said:
3) What kind of things do you wish you knew starting out? Any tips, advice? Have any websites or youtube videos that are good reads/watches?

Everything I've ever wanted to know about camming, I learned here. Start reading everything you have access to here on ACF and you'll learn the basics of the sites and so many things you never even would have thought of. Once you take the plunge and become a model, get model status here and you'll have access to even more helpful information. Also, the search function at the top of the page is super handy.

----

Become a member of any site that you're thinking of working on and get a feel for it. Watch top models, watch 3rd page models and everyone in between. Figure out what you're comfortable with before you broadcast, don't let anyone bully you into doing anything that you aren't comfortable with. Camming is a lot of fucking hard work so go on with a plan. And remember that once you put it out there on the internet, it's there forever.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :hello2:

My fake name is from The Name Game song. When it came time to sign up on mfc I happened to have a berry flavored yogurt cup in front of me. So berry was easy, then I just thought of the first name that rhymed. :lol: One of my other mfc account names is just the main character from my favorite movie.

As far as cam models go I've heard good reasoning behind picking a name that starts with the letter A, since this will bump you up higher on the list of models. Ask A_Cute_New about that.

Not a can model here. I tend to like myfreecams. But to tell you the truth I think it's good to sign up for multiple sites. If one isn't working one night sign onto another. I've heard some models that did really great on mfc switch and try others for awhile. Some come back from another site and do great again. It's a finicky market that is hard to predict. If you stay flexible and go where it seems to be doing good for you AND be willing to go back to the others to try again, you'll do alright.

I made this thread about whether or not MFC is a good site for beginners.

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... 12&t=10620

(tl;dr: I do not believe it is)

I came up with my name by going through behindthename.com and looking at feminine English names until I found one I liked. I was just Evvie for a long time, and then later on I added the surname Andrews as a lady on here told me I resemble a young Julia Andrews. As far as names go, I feel having a real-sounding name is good (Evvie Andrews, Diana Blake, Lacie LaPlante, Jolene Brody, Allison Wilder) because it identifies you as a "real" person, where as CumTittiesBlonde or NerdyMilf do not particularly do so. Also, having a first and last name makes it a hell of a lot easier to sign up for websites under your cam persona that require you to enter a first and last name. Also, if your website name is PhatAss12, people are going to be asking you what your name is every ten seconds (which is annoying as all hell), whereas if your screen name is something like EvvieAndrews they will only ask you what your name is about once per hour (which is still annoying, but made more tolerable by low frequency).

Slasherbabe said:
Lily is my favorite name and it's close enough to my actual name that it doesn't make me feel like a completely different person on cam. (I'm weird that way.)
My name on MFC used to be Lily90x - '90 is my birthyear and there already was a Lily90 on MFC when I signed up, so I added a random x.
Bad choice.
There's really no reason for a model to have random numbers or letters in her name, it makes her seem impersonal IMO. What Evvie said about real-sounding names is very true. :thumbleft: I figured that out pretty early and asked on this forum for a name I could put behind "Lily" and someone suggested "Marie". I think the name sounds romantic and "girl next door" so it kinda suits me. I guess it depends on what kind of personality you have, or what kind of girl you want to portray. If you're more on the cheeky, or the very sexual side, you might want to pick a name that's more suitable to that. For example, if I was very sexual on cam and mostly did sexual shows rather than chatting and hanging out, I would have picked a much different name. Less [i:] sounds for sure!
Websites with interesting baby names are always a good place to look.

- Have a good webcam from the beginning. Don't wait for your first money to buy a good cam.
I had a crappy Microsoft webcam from 2007 when I started out and it made my hair look black and my skin look white. I looked super unrealistic and weird on cam. If I hadn't had good photos on my profile, a bubbly personality and a lot of luck, I wouldn't have stood a chance during those first 2 weeks that I didn't have a better cam.

- ACF is all you need to look at for camming advice, believe me. I've found that advice on other sites can tend to lead girls in the wrong direction and don't even get me started on YouTube. As soon as you have a model account on a camsite, you can get verified as a model here and then you can get into the models only section which is full of great advice!

- There's NO reason to have basics and guests unmuted on MFC. I had basics and sometimes even guests unmuted during my first weeks of camming because I always thought I could "convert" them. I wasted way too much time talking to them and explaining that I wouldn't do things for free and they just kept begging.
Truth be told, if someone can't muster up at least $20 to become a premium, there's no reason they should have to talk to you. If you work in a store and someone comes in who doesn't even have a wallet, but keeps pestering you to give him freebies, would you give them to him or would you kindly ask him to leave so that you can turn your attention to paying customers?

JerryBoBerry said:
My fake name is from The Name Game song. When it came time to sign up on mfc I happened to have a berry flavored yogurt cup in front of me. So berry was easy, then I just thought of the first name that rhymed. :lol: One of my other mfc account names is just the main character from my favorite movie.

As far as cam models go I've heard good reasoning behind picking a name that starts with the letter A, since this will bump you up higher on the list of models. Ask A_Cute_New about that.

Not a can model here. I tend to like myfreecams. But to tell you the truth I think it's good to sign up for multiple sites. If one isn't working one night sign onto another. I've heard some models that did really great on mfc switch and try others for awhile. Some come back from another site and do great again. It's a finicky market that is hard to predict. If you stay flexible and go where it seems to be doing good for you AND be willing to go back to the others to try again, you'll do alright.

I like that! Luckily I was actually considering a name that started with an A, so yay! Thank you for the advice.

Evvie said:
I made this thread about whether or not MFC is a good site for beginners.

https://www.ambercutie.com/forums/viewt ... 12&t=10620

(tl;dr: I do not believe it is)

I came up with my name by going through behindthename.com and looking at feminine English names until I found one I liked. I was just Evvie for a long time, and then later on I added the surname Andrews as a lady on here told me I resemble a young Julia Andrews. As far as names go, I feel having a real-sounding name is good (Evvie Andrews, Diana Blake, Lacie LaPlante, Jolene Brody, Allison Wilder) because it identifies you as a "real" person, where as CumTittiesBlonde or NerdyMilf do not particularly do so. Also, having a first and last name makes it a hell of a lot easier to sign up for websites under your cam persona that require you to enter a first and last name. Also, if your website name is PhatAss12, people are going to be asking you what your name is every ten seconds (which is annoying as all hell), whereas if your screen name is something like EvvieAndrews they will only ask you what your name is about once per hour (which is still annoying, but made more tolerable by low frequency).

I read that thread, I definitely think MFC will be better to use once I have a bit more experience. Also, I love your name! Eevie is so pretty!

Reactions: Evvie
LilyMarie said:
Slasherbabe said:
Lily is my favorite name and it's close enough to my actual name that it doesn't make me feel like a completely different person on cam. (I'm weird that way.)
My name on MFC used to be Lily90x - '90 is my birthyear and there already was a Lily90 on MFC when I signed up, so I added a random x.
Bad choice.
There's really no reason for a model to have random numbers or letters in her name, it makes her seem impersonal IMO. What Evvie said about real-sounding names is very true. :thumbleft: I figured that out pretty early and asked on this forum for a name I could put behind "Lily" and someone suggested "Marie". I think the name sounds romantic and "girl next door" so it kinda suits me. I guess it depends on what kind of personality you have, or what kind of girl you want to portray. If you're more on the cheeky, or the very sexual side, you might want to pick a name that's more suitable to that. For example, if I was very sexual on cam and mostly did sexual shows rather than chatting and hanging out, I would have picked a much different name. Less [i:] sounds for sure!
Websites with interesting baby names are always a good place to look.

- Have a good webcam from the beginning. Don't wait for your first money to buy a good cam.
I had a crappy Microsoft webcam from 2007 when I started out and it made my hair look black and my skin look white. I looked super unrealistic and weird on cam. If I hadn't had good photos on my profile, a bubbly personality and a lot of luck, I wouldn't have stood a chance during those first 2 weeks that I didn't have a better cam.

- ACF is all you need to look at for camming advice, believe me. I've found that advice on other sites can tend to lead girls in the wrong direction and don't even get me started on YouTube. As soon as you have a model account on a camsite, you can get verified as a model here and then you can get into the models only section which is full of great advice!

- There's NO reason to have basics and guests unmuted on MFC. I had basics and sometimes even guests unmuted during my first weeks of camming because I always thought I could "convert" them. I wasted way too much time talking to them and explaining that I wouldn't do things for free and they just kept begging.
Truth be told, if someone can't muster up at least $20 to become a premium, there's no reason they should have to talk to you. If you work in a store and someone comes in who doesn't even have a wallet, but keeps pestering you to give him freebies, would you give them to him or would you kindly ask him to leave so that you can turn your attention to paying customers?

Thank you so much. :) So far ACF has been a huge help, I completely agree. And great advice on the names and choosing something that suits your personality, that's so true.

Reactions: LilyMarie
Just a random note here, and I don't want to be presumptuous, but you should really resist any temptation to tell any good online friends or regulars your actual legal name.

Like many models I felt comfortable enough with my first closest regulars to share my legal name with them. While it never came back to bite me in the ass, I wish now that I had not. It is not that I don't trust those men (I still do), but I feel it is wise to set a precedent of privacy. Because you never do know when a guy will change his tune and you'll regret sharing personal info.

In my opinion MFC is the worst site for new models in the industry. If I could do it again I would start on a different site until I knew how I wanted to run my room. If I knew what I knew now I wouldn't have started on MFC as a brand new model with a built in webcam and poor lighting and basic internet connection. I would have also had some content before I started, as well as started social networking. And yes, watch other models on the first page and the last page.
I believe your cam name is important and can say a bit about your style and your show. My husband actually suggested Natalie for me because apparently it was a sexy name and I looked like a Natalie. Smith I just picked from the top of my mind. Google your potential cam name and see what comes up too.
Think about your style when you pick your cam name. If you are a sweet, girl next door kind of girl, you may not want to go with "squirtslut4ubb"
Good Luck!

I am unfortunately learning that MFC was a poor decision to start out on. I had nothing prepared...no picture sets, no games in mind, no videos for purchase, nothing. I am at a loss now...I don't know whether to disable my account and start out on SM or try to build from where I am on MFC. UGH It's frustrating. If someone could refer me to a thread that lists basic requirements for a successful MFC account, I'd appreciate.

Piper006 said:
I am unfortunately learning that MFC was a poor decision to start out on. I had nothing prepared...no picture sets, no games in mind, no videos for purchase, nothing. I am at a loss now...I don't know whether to disable my account and start out on SM or try to build from where I am on MFC. UGH It's frustrating. If someone could refer me to a thread that lists basic requirements for a successful MFC account, I'd appreciate.
I know what you're getting at, but I feel it would be a tough thread to create as there are no basic requirements for a successful MFC career. The problem with trying to give someone such specific suggestions is that ladies tend to be different and one person's golden ticket ideas with totally fail for someone else.

I don't recall ever seeing a thread like the one you want. The closest I can think of may be the troubleshooting thread I have linked in my signature?

Reactions: LilyMarie
Slasherbabe said:
I took my name from an old nickname people used to call me: Princess SassyPants. It shows off my personality, and isn't super slutty sounding, since I'm a more innocent-LOOKING girl-next-door with a hint of class. I "apprenticed" under a different fairly successful MFC model, and that helped immensely. If you can find someone in your area to help you out (plus, a two girl show probably makes more money lol) I highly recommend it. I've only been on MFC for a couple months, but I knew what to expect and how to prepare. That first 10 hours can be crucial to starting out. I blew it off (not on purpose) and now I'm at the rock bottom working my way up lol.
The only thing I wish someone had told me was how to cam on a dime. The girl I apprenticed with had a large variety of awesome and expensive toys she used on her show, but since I am POOR I had to get creative. The toy aisle at your local 99 cent store can be a savior. I had a luau with a bunch of junk I got there, shell bra and all, made pina coladas and did a coconut oil show. It was affordable and awesome, and the guys loved it. I also found some really cute Rampage panties from the 99 Cent Only store that I can sell off to the boys for $20 lol. If you're comfortable with it, use common cheap fruits and veggies (Firm bananas with condoms are good) to masturbate with, or do popsicle/fudgesicle blow jobs. I also found out that I'm surprisingly good at hands-free beer pong, which I can do a vid of and sell off. "Save them a trip to Thailand" is what I've been told. LOL

Also, make an Amazon wishlist. You'd be surprised how much stuff the guys will buy you if you just ask. ;)

Side note: if anyone has any other ideas, I've been trolling the forums for some tidbit I could use. It seems like all the top models block other models, so I can't watch and "steal" their ideas I guess. If it's in the model section, let me know. I'm new to the forum and don't have model status quite yet. ;)

XSassyPantsX said:
Also, make an Amazon wishlist. You'd be surprised how much stuff the guys will buy you if you just ask.
But do not use your real name or address. Get a P.O. box.
It's sad and surprising how many girls have Amazon wishlists revealing their full name and city to anyone who opens it (hello, facebook stalkers), and if you buy them something from a third-party-seller, you're an inch away of finding out their address. :(

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
LilyMarie said:
XSassyPantsX said:
Also, make an Amazon wishlist. You'd be surprised how much stuff the guys will buy you if you just ask.
But do not use your real name or address. Get a P.O. box.
It's sad and surprising how many girls have Amazon wishlists revealing their full name and city to anyone who opens it (hello, facebook stalkers), and if you buy them something from a third-party-seller, you're an inch away of finding out their address. :(
And have it far from your house.
And never pick up your own packages.

XSassyPantsX said:
Side note: if anyone has any other ideas, I've been trolling the forums for some tidbit I could use. It seems like all the top models block other models, so I can't watch and "steal" their ideas I guess. If it's in the model section, let me know. I'm new to the forum and don't have model status quite yet. ;)
Why don't you just log out of your model account?

Most models block other models because "member sniping" is a common practice (where the less successful model waits for someone to drop a tip and then sends him messages telling him to come to her room for a cheaper/better show) and not because they are worried their ideas will be stolen. Prevention of intellectual theft is impossible on MFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.