AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

OMFG... just No... OMG...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.

Would you donate to their legal fund?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Fuck No

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, and my first reaction was "Yeah. Because then it doesn't give the child a higher chance of disease that the parents are holding traits to" - which has been a big argument against incestual relationships.

But would this only be a law for incestual relationships or would it be a law to "prevent hereditary diseases"? I kinda ended up lol'ing to myself because if it were to "prevent hereditary disease" I wouldn't be here, nor my older sister (we have sickle cell disease).. or my younger sisters because by then my dad would've been sterile. So I kinda agreed to my own non-existence for a few minutes- even though somehow I'm still okay with the idea of required sterilization.

Also, how do you think this could be implemented? Because as long as the couple remains low-key about their relationship the government wouldn't know, right? So wouldn't it be unenforceable?
Right, it could only be enforceable as a requirement to marry IF it was made legal to marry but then anyone not in agreeance just wouldnt get married anyway which is where we are now...

I havent done much research into the actual risk of inbreeding to the children born of it, but I'm now officially fascinated. If it was scientifically proven that close relatives breeding wasn't significantly dangerous to the physical health of the child... Would I be ok with it, while not personally endorsing, on a consenting adults basis?
:/

Right, it could only be enforceable as a requirement to marry IF it was made legal to marry but then anyone not in agreeance just wouldnt get married anyway which is where we are now...

I havent done much research into the actual risk of inbreeding to the children born of it, but I'm now officially fascinated. If it was scientifically proven that close relatives breeding wasn't significantly dangerous to the physical health of the child... Would I be ok with it, while not personally endorsing, on a consenting adults basis?

Yea, I agree that if it was required most people wouldn't let the government know. I was reading a few internet articles, one said that inbreeding isn't really dangerous until its gone on for a few generations. Because then it's the dominant genes copy & pasting themselves over and over. If inbreeding happened for generations and then that person had a kid with someone not in the family, all those really dominate genes could get passed on through society.. but it would still take a while for society to see the effects. Also considering scientific studies, and people coming up with cures/suppressors for diseases pretty often that might not even be a problem - which is how we (society) has handled other hereditary diseases so far.

I also did some light googling and came across these :
http://www.medicaldaily.com/kissing...w-about-incest-and-why-inbreeding-isnt-321650
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5863666/why-inbreeding-really-isnt-as-bad-as-you-think-it-is

Allow me.

Definition of Inbreeding, coefficient of
Inbreeding, coefficient of: A measure of how close two people are genetically to each another. The coefficient of inbreeding, symbolized by the letter F, is the probability that a person with two identical genes received both genes from one ancestor.

Take a first-cousin mating. First cousins share a set of grandparents. For any particular gene in the male, the chance that his female first cousin inherited the same gene from the same source is 1/8. Further, for any gene the man passes to his child, the chance is 1/8 that the woman has the same gene and ½ that she transmits that gene to the child so 1/8 X ½ = 1/16. Thus, a first-cousin marriage has a coefficient of inbreeding F =1/16.

The added risks for the offspring of first cousins depend not only upon the coefficient of inbreeding but also upon the genetic family history and test results. For example, first cousins of Italian descent are at increased risk of carrying a gene for beta thalassemia and genetic laboratory tests may confirm that they are both beta-thalassemia gene carriers.

There are always added risks in the mating of closely related persons and those risks are not entirely negligible.

Using that inbreeding coefficient scientists did a study of the Hapsburg dynasty.
Royals Prove Inbreeding Is a Bad Idea

The Hapsburg dynasty ruled Spain from 1516 to 1700, reigning over the height of the Spanish empire. The dynasty ended when the last king, Charles II, who suffered physical and mental disabilities, died without issue despite two marriages. Inbreeding had been thought to play a role in the family's extinction.
A group of biologists from Spain developed an extended pedigree of more than 3,000 individuals over 16 generations so that they could calculate the "inbreeding coefficient" of the Spanish Hapsburg kings.
The six kings of Spain married a total of 11 times. Nine of the marriages were "consanguineous unions in a degree of third cousins or closer." There were even two uncle-niece unions (eww). Over time, the biologists calculated, the inbreeding coefficient rose from 0.025 for Philip I, the founder of the dynasty, to 0.254 for Charles II. His inbreeding coefficient--0.254--is as high as that expected from a parent-child or a brother-sister relationship
the biologists cited two other lines of evidence that inbreeding was the cause of the Spanish Hapsburgs' demise: First, the family experienced a high rate of infant mortality, with half of the children failing to reach age one (compared with 80 percent survival at that time in Spanish villages).
Second, many of Charles II's disabilities and illnesses--short stature, weakness, intestinal problems, sporadic hematuria, impotence/infertility--could be explained by two genetic disorders, combined pituitary hormone deficiency and distal renal tubular acidosis. The probability that an individual would inherit two recessive traits would be extremely low, but inbreeding made that much more likely.

http://guff.com/inbreeding-ruined-these-royal-families
After centuries of first cousin, uncle and niece and even brother and sister marriages, members of the Habsburg family were deformed, mentally ill and infertile. The most severe case of this, and what led to the family's demise, was their final heir to the throne, King Charles II.
King Charles II was named El Hechizado (The Hexed) and was the result of an uncle and niece union, who were also results of a long line of incest. According to reports, King Charles was mentally retarded, disabled and disfigured. He also suffered from multiple physical ailments such as sporadic hematuria, the inability to walk until age eight and severe weakness his entire life.
Along with being sick his entire life, King Charles was impotent and infertile. He married twice but was unable to produce an heir to the throne.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news...reeding-among-ancient-egyptian-royalty-003045
The study also involved the development of a scoring system with which to evaluate the level of inbreeding within a particular family line. The results pointed to particularly high incest levels in the rules of the 17 th and 18 th Dynasty, with King Amenhotep I scoring the highest on the incest scale. Amenhotep I is believed to be the product of three generations of sibling marriages.
King Tutankhamun, whose parents are known to have been siblings, earned a half ranking point.
In October, 2014, an analysis of Tutankhamun’s remains suggested that his death could be attributed to genetic impairments that were caused by the fact that his parents were brother and sister. Tutankhamun was the son of Akhenaten and Akhenaten's sister and wife. This resulted in numerous genetic conditions that the boy king suffered, including a cleft palate, a club foot, feminine hips, and a severe overbite.
Recent-reconstruction-of-Tutankhamun.jpg

Recent reconstruction of Tutankhamun, showing the genetic abnormalities he suffered as a result of family inbreeding. Credit: BBC
Tutankhamun also engaged in incest himself. At the age of 8 or 9, he was married to his half-sister Ankhesenamun , who is believed to have been formerly married to her father, Akhenaten. When Tutankhamun’s tomb was uncovered, they found the remains of two mummified fetuses. The infant remains are believed to have been the stillborn children of Tutankamun and Ankhesenamun, and they too, carried genetic impairments.

Simply explained in terms of genetics from a reddit post.
In terms of genetics, why is inbreeding such a bad idea?
Inbreeding is a bad idea because it increases the likelihood of matching up harmful recessive alleles in your offspring.

You have two copies of every gene (ignoring the sex chromosomes in males), and for every gene there can be different versions, called alleles. The dominance of an allele determines whether you need one or two copies to see a phenotypic effect. If an allele is completely dominant then if you have at least one copy you will express it normally, but if it's completely recessive then you need two copies to express it normally. Say for a gene you have two alleles, A and a, so individuals can have the genotypes AA, Aa, or aa. If A is dominant and a is recessive then AA and Aa will have the A phenotype, whereas only aa will have the a phenotype. Natural selection can remove harmful alleles from a population quite easily if they are dominant, because they are always expressed (AA and Aa) and selection can always 'see' them. If a harmful allele is recessive then it's possible for it to essentially hide in the genomes of heterozygotes (Aa) where natural selection can't act on it (because it's only expressed when an individual is aa).

Inbreeding increases homozygosity because close relatives are more likely to have the same alleles as one another, and critically the same harmful recessive alleles as one another. In our A/a example it would increase the chances of producing aa offspring. That's where the inbreeding depression comes from - offspring expressing harmful recessive alleles. It's possible for populations to not have a lot of harmful recessive alleles and not experience inbreeding depression, or to suffer inbreeding depression initially and then have the harmful variation purged from the gene pool by selection (though the evidence that his can happen viably in the wild is a bit shaky).

Inbreeding avoidance is also something that a wide range of animals do. This could happen through a number of different ways. One sex could leave social groups at adulthood while the other stays (so the opposite sex members of the group you're in aren't related to you). Individuals could show a mating preference for non-relatives - this could happen either by having a preference for unfamiliar mates or avoiding mates you can recognise as kin (typically through smell or taste e.g. MHC in mammals, cuticular hydrocarbons in insects).
Inbreeding doesn't create genetic defects, it increases the frequency of homozygosity within a population.

You have a whole heck of a lot of genes, and you have two copies of nearly all of those. One copy is from your mother and one from your father (except in the case of mitochondrial DNA, which is always from your mother). Your mother and father each had two copies from their parents, and gave you one randomly selected copy. If your "maternal" (mother-derived) and "paternal" (father-derived) copy of a particular gene are different, you are heterozygous for that gene. If your paternal and maternal copies of a gene are identical, you are homozygous.

What's the difference between these paternal and maternal copies? Usually not a whole lot. Sometimes, a whole lot. Differences between genes are one of the major reasons people aren't identical to one another - the typical examples of genetic factors are eye and hair colour, height, etc. These characteristics can sometimes be linked to a single gene, but usually they are the result of a bunch of different genes with interacting effects.

So, back to the point. Inbreeding populations don't shuffle around their genes enough. Your mother and father are more likely to have the same copy of a gene if they share a grandparent. A lot of genetic disorders are the result of a homozygous gene; a single copy of "the bad gene" does no harm to a heterozygous individual but two copies are enough to cause a disease state.

Check out the wikipedia page on Zygosity and especially the page on Heterozygous advantage

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2013/07/genetic-diversity-and-intellectual-disability/
It is generally understood that inbreeding has some negative biological consequences for complex animals. Recessive diseases are the most straightforward. The rarer a recessive disease is the higher and higher fraction of sufferers of that disease will be products of pairings between relatives (the reason for this is straightforward, as extremely rare alleles which express in a deleterious fashion in homozygotes will be unlikely to come together in unrelated individuals).
Some are curious about the consequences of inbreeding for a trait such as intelligence. The scientific literature here is somewhat muddled. But it seems likely that all things equal if two people of average intelligence pair up and are first cousins the I.Q. of their offspring will be expected to be 0-5 points lower than would otherwise be the case.

And it's not just humans.

Inbreeding Is Bad for Ant Immunity
And just like inbred humans and purebred pets, inbred ant colonies have weaker "immune systems": they're slow to detect disease and remove infected larvae, putting the entire population at risk.

Inbreeding in Plants
With some exceptions, inbreeding reduces offspring fitness in essentially all naturally outcrossing plants and to a lesser extent in selfing species. The negative effects of mating between relatives have been noticed for many centuries. The careful breeding studies of Darwin (1876) first empirically demonstrated inbreeding depression in a wide variety of taxa. The negative effects of inbreeding have since been observed in both outcrossing and selfing species for a variety of traits with consequences for offspring fitness (Charlesworth and Charlesworth 1987, Keller and Waller 2002). Examples of traits shown to be subjects to inbreeding depression include pollen quantity, number of ovules, amount of seed, germination rate, growth rate and competitive ability (Keller and Waller 2002, Frankham et al. 2003). Genetic models have been developed to functionally explain reduction in fitness-related traits caused by inbreeding.

Inbreeding and it's General Effects
Inbreeding depression encompasses a wide variety of physical and health defects. Any given inbred animal generally has several, but not all, of these defects. These defects include:
  • Elevated incidence of recessive genetic diseases
  • Reduced fertility both in litter size and in sperm viability
  • Increased congenital defects such as cryptorchidism, heart defects, cleft palates.
  • Fluctuating assymetry (such as crooked faces, or uneven eye placement and size).
  • Lower birthweight
  • Higher neonatal mortality
  • Slower growth rate
  • Smaller adult size, and
  • Loss of immune system function.

INBREEDING DEPRESSION IN CONSERVATION BIOLOGY
Inbreeding depression is of major concern in the management and conservation of endangered species. Inbreeding appears universally to reduce fitness, but its magnitude and specific effects are highly variable because they depend on the genetic constitution of the species or populations and on how these genotypes interact with the environment. Recent natural experiments are consistent with greater inbreeding depression in more stressful environments. In small populations of randomly mating individuals, such as are characteristic of many endangered species, all individuals may suffer from inbreeding depression because of the cumulative effects of genetic drift that decrease the fitness of all individuals in the population.
Almost 800 mice, nearly equally split between noninbred and inbred, were released during three different periods. The area had a low number of mice during the release, suggesting that the environment was harsh because of some unknown cause. For the 10 weeks following release, non-inbred individuals had a higher weekly survivorship at all census times than the inbred individuals.
Using capture-recapture data, the weekly survival of the inbred mice was estimated to be 56% that of the non-inbred mice. In addition, inbred male mice lost significant body mass throughout the experiment, while non-inbred male mice did not.

For article after article from Discover magazine on inbreeding click here.

TL-DR Yeah, inbreeding is bad in every respect. Plenty of history and science to back that up definitively.

Allow me.

Definition of Inbreeding, coefficient of

Using that inbreeding coefficient scientists did a study of the Hapsburg dynasty.
Royals Prove Inbreeding Is a Bad Idea

http://guff.com/inbreeding-ruined-these-royal-families

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news...reeding-among-ancient-egyptian-royalty-003045

Recent-reconstruction-of-Tutankhamun.jpg

Recent reconstruction of Tutankhamun, showing the genetic abnormalities he suffered as a result of family inbreeding. Credit: BBC

Simply explained in terms of genetics from a reddit post.
In terms of genetics, why is inbreeding such a bad idea?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2013/07/genetic-diversity-and-intellectual-disability/

And it's not just humans.

Inbreeding Is Bad for Ant Immunity

Inbreeding in Plants

Inbreeding and it's General Effects

INBREEDING DEPRESSION IN CONSERVATION BIOLOGY

For article after article from Discover magazine on inbreeding click here.

TL-DR Yeah, inbreeding is bad in every respect. Plenty of history and science to back that up definitively.
Thanks Jerry! I'm Very familiar with the negative affects on certain livestock and how inbreeding basically destroyed many popular dog breeds (golden retrievers in the 80's and 90's my god!) but have never thought to look into the affects in humans. This is pretty fascinanating stuff and really brings in the morality question of, is it best to be illegal totally simply on the grounds that the cons outweigh the (ain't hurting no one) pros?
Possibility of coercion, Inbreeding, what have you... Because those things are hurting people?
Physical and chemical abnormalities are not a sociatal and cultural hurdle to climb like the possible negative impacts of homosexuality on a family... Which are really dwindling lately.
They are physical suffering of children and possible hard to spot ( grooming since youth) rape, And those alone make it a whole new ball game.

Like what jicky said, you can't chose to be gay but you don't have to be with that ONE person you are related too... incest is not a sexual orientation and we've all wanted someone we couldn't have, moved on and been fine.
Comparing the two seems irrelevant to me here.

This is interesting, and my first reaction was "Yeah. Because then it doesn't give the child a higher chance of disease that the parents are holding traits to" - which has been a big argument against incestual relationships.

But would this only be a law for incestual relationships or would it be a law to "prevent hereditary diseases"? I kinda ended up lol'ing to myself because if it were to "prevent hereditary disease" I wouldn't be here, nor my older sister (we have sickle cell disease).. or my younger sisters because by then my dad would've been sterile. So I kinda agreed to my own non-existence for a few minutes- even though somehow I'm still okay with the idea of required sterilization.

Also, how do you think this could be implemented? Because as long as the couple remains low-key about their relationship the government wouldn't know, right? So wouldn't it be unenforceable?
Right, I was thinking that too, how many of us wouldn't be here if this was enforced? What about people on the autism spectrum?

I think that would create a really terrible caste-like system, and then you'd have people bribing government officials to let them have babies. Would make for an interesting science fiction book.

What if we just do temporary sterilization on everyone and then people can submit a request for procreation? XD they're working on this for dudes, a temporary vasectomy. Pretty interesting, I've been following their updates on it.

The truth is, some people are just gonna be born with diseases and mental deficiencies and although that's super lame, the best thing we can do, probably, is donate money to scientific research to help find solutions to them.

I think the law should stay out of peoples lives in regard to incest, except in the case of marriage. It would be risky to include the couple in legal marriages and any issues related to children they have should things go wrong: with their relationship or with their children.
I think it would be unwise to encourage incest as socially acceptable. There are plenty of non-relatives out there to love, and so much more thrilling partners than taking a vanilla and quite confused option.
You don't have to have sex with everyone you love or are attracted to. If you have sexual tension with your mother, keep it that way, don't act on it, the relationship will be better for it. I'd value the love, and the knowledge separation from that tension will impart, over the sex every time.

Having said this historically it has been a pretty common thing in some regions and times. My indirect ancestors about 5 generations ago;my direct ancestor married into this community later on, were part of a very small excluded community. It was known as 'Dixieland' outside of Sydney (Australia, early 1800's), where the descendants of the first black convicts lived after they served their time (Early convicts tended to be freed pretty quickly). Obviously there was quite a bit of inbreeding initially, the sex urge is a strong one.
There must have been many miscarriages, and a few recessive conditions in children for the individual couples, but as the population grows and others come in this decreases.

I have accused this couple of being confused a few times, comparing it to the student /teacher couple. I have some experience with this when I was teaching (private tutor was my Uni job). I never slept with a student, but the feelings can be intense as you pass on knowledge, and have someone listening to everything you in a way no one else does. For the wrong people comfortable power based relationships can be confused with love/ attraction. I see incest much like this.

Reactions: ACFFAN69
Right, I was thinking that too, how many of us wouldn't be here if this was enforced? What about people on the autism spectrum?

I think that would create a really terrible caste-like system, and then you'd have people bribing government officials to let them have babies. Would make for an interesting science fiction book.

What if we just do temporary sterilization on everyone and then people can submit a request for procreation? XD they're working on this for dudes, a temporary vasectomy. Pretty interesting, I've been following their updates on it.

The truth is, some people are just gonna be born with diseases and mental deficiencies and although that's super lame, the best thing we can do, probably, is donate money to scientific research to help find solutions to them.
I do love me the idea of temp reversible sterilization, as well as outlawing ALL back yard dog breeding.
But I also acknowledge how invasive and "1984" it feels... Which is :/

....This is pretty fascinanating stuff and really brings in the morality question of, is it best to be illegal totally simply on the grounds that the cons outweigh the (ain't hurting no one) pros?....

One way to approach this problem is to look at how society deals with other risky behaviors, such as riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The states have a patchwork variety of laws. Only three states do not have some type of helmet requirement.

This quote from Science-Based Medicine looks at the case of Michigan, which in 2012 "...repealed the state’s motorcycle helmet law, a law that had been on the books for 35 years." In its place came the requirement to have insurance to cover the increased risk of bodily injury:

...the new law allowed riders 21 years old and older who have passed a motorcycle safety course within the last two years to forego wearing a helmet. One additional requirement, which was basically an explicit acknowledgement that this law was going to lead to a lot more deaths and severe injuries, is that helmetless riders must carry an additional $20,000 in medical insurance. This was, of course, almost certainly grossly inadequate, as Michigan AAA pointed out, but was in fact a concession to reality, however weak.

Then there's tobacco usage, especially smoking. No-smoking laws, which are just about universal in the US now, aim to segregate the smokers in designated areas so that non-smokers won't be exposed.

Three or four years ago, my employer health insurance started charging smokers a surcharge due to the additional disease burden they carry. Again, this is meant to place more of the financial burden on the person with the risky behavior, and not on society at large. This seems pretty reasonable at first glance.

Smoking is an easy case, but what about other risky behaviors? I'm a bit overweight, which correlates with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc. Why shouldn't they surcharge me, too?

Each of us has genetic and behavioral risk factors. Why not surcharge for all of them? First, that would be incredibly difficult to administer fairly. And it essentially guts the very idea of insurance, which is to spread risk. So where do you draw the line?

This issue with inbreeding could be treated this way. Maybe it should be flatly prohibited, or maybe those involved would have to buy insurance to cover the increased risk of genetic problems. Or maybe it should be treated like being overweight (no laws, just education and social pressure). It should depend on how risky/costly such behavior is. And whatever is decided on must not offend the sensibilities of society (i.e., even if the objective level of risk was negligible, most people still have strong objections to the behavior, find it disgusting, etc.).

I think no matter what, these people have NO PLACE in prison!

Regardless of your personal opinions and reactions, maybe we should stop throwing everyone in jail just because we can't handle how they want to live their life.

And bringing up minors/child abuse in this context (where there is none) is kind of like banning pornography to avoid child porn.

We spend so much money keeping people behind bars and destroying their lives. Personally I find that far more offensive than grown sexual deviants.

This is where libertarians and I are in complete agreement: the State has no place regulating the private affairs of its citizens. So, things like homosexuality should never be illegal. And that applies to incest too. The State should never have the power to put you in jail for what goes on your bedroom (providing it is between consenting adults)

But this is where libertarians and I start to part ways: while I have no problem with gays or incestuous people themselves in an individual basis and I am all up for respecting their choices, I do have a problem with promoting homosexuality in our media and education system. I will never support homosexuality being portrayed in popular culture and the sex ed classes as a healthy, happy, and desirable lifestyle. It is insane to me. Just as insane as promoting incest as something natural and healthy would be. And it isn't just homosexuality, the same can be said about "body positivity". Of course we should respect fat people and not shame them. But I will never support a media that promotes obesity like something beautiful, healthy, or desirable.

• Wat?!
Reactions: Guy
the State has no place regulating the private affairs of its citizens. So, things like homosexuality should never be illegal. And that applies to incest too. The State should never have the power to put you in jail for what goes on your bedroom (providing it is between consenting adults)

The State absolutely has a right to interfere with people doing incest. Its destructive to the gene pool. Morality has nothing to do with it. Its pure pollution of the gene pool which leads to abnormalities.

Personally I'm all for the laws forbidding relationships like the one in the OP's article. More power to the prosecutor. That shit should be quashed hard and fast to deter any other stupid ass people out there from thinking that is even remotely acceptable in any society.

The State absolutely has a right to interfere with people doing incest. Its destructive to the gene pool. Morality has nothing to do with it. Its pure pollution of the gene pool which leads to abnormalities.

Personally I'm all for the laws forbidding relationships like the one in the OP's article. More power to the prosecutor. That shit should be quashed hard and fast to deter any other stupid ass people out there from thinking that is even remotely acceptable in any society.

If the goal here is to keep the purity and quality of the gene pool we are doing a shitty job at it. Why is it legal for people with severe congenital diseases to reproduce? Are we going to prosecute miscegenation? And also... where do we draw the line? Should we be encouraging people with more favorable gene traits to reproduce more? Should we penalize people with eyesight problems or with alopecia for reproducing? Drawing the line at incest is arbitrary at best.

It is evident to me that the problem with incest isn't keeping the gene pool safe, but something else. People use the gene excuse to justify their natural instinctual aversion towards it.

But the gene pool stays within itself if they were to have a child. And there's a 50/50 chance that child could be interested in another family member, let alone the child be straight or even have the ability to procreate. So its really no more destructive to the gene pool than say the parents of someone with any hereditary disease

Well sir, if you decide to run for office on the "no incest" platform, you have my vote.

I don't necessarily think the mother in this scenario should be jailed, but what she is doing is predatory. Should she be in jail if the only person she is a danger to is her grown son? Probably not. Does our justice system have time to sort out all of the emotional intricacies that would be involved with familial sexual/romantic relationships or marriages? No. No it definitely does not. It's already a mess trying to sort out complex family structures it was not built to sort out. Laws against incest need to be in place and defined the way the age of consent is. The age of consent is not black and white. It varies from country to country, but it's there to provide some protection against predators as well as protecting court systems from having to work too hard sorting out grey area. Incest consent is some murky ass grey area that we don't have to tread into right now because of the way our legal system is laid out. It should remain illegal if only for that reason.

The State absolutely has a right to interfere with people doing incest. Its destructive to the gene pool.

I guess it's time for me to invoke Godwin's law....

This reads a lot like what was professed in Germany during WW2, just substituting 'racial purity' with 'genetic purity' in an ill-defined way.

Here's the deal - yes, it weakens the gene pool in the long term - it doesn't happen on a single generation (if you think it does, please go retake some biology and math/statistic classes). But as @LioraVox mentioned, if they end up having children, there's still multiple possibilities:
- the children can be asexual or gay and not have children (or decide to adopt)
- the children can date outside of their family (the more likely scenario)

So in the worst case, if this couple decides to have children it's extremely unlikely there will be long-term effects in the overall human gene pool, after all, there's another 7-8 billion potential partners to their children to 'dilute' whatever 'badness' comes out of that. And even if we changed the laws to allow incest, that would account for such a small amount of the genetic pool that it wouldn't affect our species.

Pheromones, smell attraction and genetic matches have been one of my favorite dork out subjects lately to think about!

I'm leaving this here because my family smells terrible. They are a pungent people and I wonder how common this is? For people to find there family's smell off putting that is...

If the goal here is to keep the purity and quality of the gene pool we are doing a shitty job at it. Why is it legal for people with severe congenital diseases to reproduce? Are we going to prosecute miscegenation? And also... where do we draw the line? Should we be encouraging people with more favorable gene traits to reproduce more? Should we penalize people with eyesight problems or with alopecia for reproducing? Drawing the line at incest is arbitrary at best.

It is evident to me that the problem with incest isn't keeping the gene pool safe, but something else. People use the gene excuse to justify their natural instinctual aversion towards it.

I agree with Kitsune here. The idea of legalizing (or illegalizing) reproduction based keeping the gene pool free of abnormalities... That is a slippery slope to me. Incest causes abnormalities, true. We have plenty of evidence for that. But what else? There are so many other "abnormalities" that can be far harder. What about diseases like cystic fibrosis? Muscular dystrophy? Or ALS, which Steven Hawkings suffers from? Are those any worse? Would they be next to be outlawed? How do you determine who has the right to reproduce and who does not?

This is a bit personal to me, though. My brother was born with muscular dystrophy, and the idea of any sort of government control over reproductive rights due to "good genes" means he would not have had the chance to be born - nor anyone in my family have the chance to have children, even healthy ones. How is one supposed to determine whether parents might have healthy children - or unhealthy ones. We see the abnormalities of incest after many generations of interbreeding - but would one child in one generation born of incest be so "abnormal" to seriously damage the gene pool to the point where their existence is outlawed?

I guess I also have the natural instinctual aversion to the idea of incest, as Kitsune so eloquently put it. But the idea of the state having the power to legalize reproduction based on the purity of the genes is a frightening idea to me.

I don't necessarily think the mother in this scenario should be jailed, but what she is doing is predatory. Should she be in jail if the only person she is a danger to is her grown son? Probably not. Does our justice system have time to sort out all of the emotional intricacies that would be involved with familial sexual/romantic relationships or marriages? No. No it definitely does not. It's already a mess trying to sort out complex family structures it was not built to sort out. Laws against incest need to be in place and defined the way the age of consent is. The age of consent is not black and white. It varies from country to country, but it's there to provide some protection against predators as well as protecting court systems from having to work too hard sorting out grey area. Incest consent is some murky ass grey area that we don't have to tread into right now because of the way our legal system is laid out. It should remain illegal if only for that reason.

Playing Devil's Advocate: she *does* have 9 other children she could be a danger too if incest is no biggie to her.

But also... why do you think an adult is not responsible for his choices? Perhaps considering an adult unfit to make his own choices when it comes to who he dates by calling his mother a rapist is invalidating his own choice in the matter.

• Helpful!
Reactions: JickyJuly
But also... why do you think an adult is not responsible for his choices? Perhaps considering an adult unfit to make his own choices when it comes to who he dates by calling his mother a rapist is invalidating his own choice in the matter.
I don't think a child can consent to a sexual relationship with a parent. The parent/child relationship is skewed too far toward the parent. We only ever have one biomom and one biodad. They play a part in shaping us even if they're absent. Maybe more so if they're absent. I mean, if the manager of a Taco Bell bending a Taco Artist over is considered abuse of power, a parent propositioning their own child certainly should be as well. I'm definitely not saying this dude's reaction to being propositioned by his mother is the norm. His reaction is almost not relevant because her actions are so far into predatorland.

I don't necessarily think the mother in this scenario should be jailed, but what she is doing is predatory.
I was thinking about this and the predatory aspect of it....
Is it incest that is the problem ? Or the specific relationship between a parent and child?
If it were a more 'equal' relationship, would that make it more ok? Such as between a brother and sister?

As far as the age of consent goes, if you think about it, people can't have sexual Doctor - patient, teacher - student, therapist - patient relationships at any age, because of the power differences. So it does make sense in a way that parent - child relationships aren't allowed either. Though it is such a grey area.

I don't think a child can consent to a sexual relationship with a parent. The parent/child relationship is skewed too far toward the parent. We only ever have one biomom and one biodad. They play a part in shaping us even if they're absent. Maybe more so if they're absent. I mean, if the manager of a Taco Bell bending a Taco Artist over is considered abuse of power, a parent propositioning their own child certainly should be as well. I'm definitely not saying this dude's reaction to being propositioned by his mother is the norm. His reaction is almost not relevant because her actions are so far into predatorland.

I was thinking something along this line but just didn't know how to articulate it. I wonder if the parent was a father and the child a daughter if this power imbalance would be more obvious to me, but in any case I really like how you put this.

Reactions: SaffronBurke
Sorry for the DP, but it was too late to edit my first post. I wanted to add a response to @Kitsune. You mentioned something that is kind of off topic and I know some people feel the same way as you about this and it made me think some things. You said,
I do have a problem with promoting homosexuality in our media and education system. I will never support homosexuality being portrayed in popular culture and the sex ed classes as a healthy, happy, and desirable lifestyle.

And I couldn't help but think of all the kids who have same sex parents who are in the schools where you think their families should not be portrayed as healthy, happy or desirable. I have a 5 year old niece and one of her best friends, May, has two moms. Why shouldn't May's family be portrayed as normal and desirable, just as my niece's family is which has a mom and a dad? If you think May's parents should have their choices respected and protected, which it sounds like you do, then their children should not be made to feel like her and her moms are different or less desirable than anyone else. And what kind of a lesson is it to be teaching kids, that my niece should feel like she is better than May because she's got two moms and my niece has a mom and a dad?

There are also millions of kids who hurt themselves because they are bullied at school for being queer. These kids do not choose to be gay and they do not deserve to be made into outsiders. Schools should simply accept and reflect back to their community that the kids who attend them come from families of all kinds of make up - blended, gay, etc, and kids themselves are going to be gay or straight or whatever. Schools should be teaching kids some book learning, some social and communications skills, maybe even how to be thoughtful and think for themselves, not telling them what is right or wrong with different kinds of families and sexual orientations.

If we don't have any say in a gay couple's decision to get married and have kids, because it's their right to do so if they wish, then how can we then turn around and say that schools should not portray those families as healthy? Why on earth would you want to make these children feel like their families are not healthy or desirable or that they themselves are not healthy or desirable? It just breaks my heart to think that people would put their values above the well being of little kids and teenagers and allow kids to be put in a position where they are made to feel that they and their families are not healthy or equal to others.

There simply is no quick 'right' or 'wrong' in this. While the possibility of abuse of power by the parent is large, there always will be cases in which the child takes the initiative to such a relationship.

It takes enourmous strength and courage to keep saying no as a parent when you have a gorgeous adolescent child that keeps begging you for a more sexual relation. Worse, by giving in, the parent even puts him/ herself into a postion where he/ she can be blackmailed simply because of the social reaction towards such a relationship.

I think matters like these should be looked on in a 'case by case' manner.

In the end, that is what justice should be about: look at each case seperately

• Wat?!
Reactions: SexySteph and Gen
As far as the age of consent goes, if you think about it, people can't have sexual Doctor - patient, teacher - student, therapist - patient relationships at any age, because of the power differences. So it does make sense in a way that parent - child relationships aren't allowed either. Though it is such a grey area.

This is exactly it. If it isn't a relationship where sexual consent can be given it is because of the power dynamic of the relationship, not because of the fact that it is incest. I believe that this has a high chance of being predatory just like student/teacher or old/young relationships but we can't say oh that's predatory just because there's a higher likelihood it is. I don't think there is a situation between two adults that can be 100% predatory, 100% of the time.

We talked in DMP recently about dating older men. Some of us as teens had dated people ten years older. Most of us said it was abusive and predatory but some said that it wast a completely healthy relationship. Certain dynamics are going to have a higher risk of someone being taken advantage of but that doesn't mean we can go off saying everyone in this kind of relationship is wrong or should be thrown in jail. If anything, all it means to me is that just as human beings should make ourselves aware of how abusive relationships look and risk factors for them so that we can keep an eye on the people we love, not people on the internet that we know nothing about.

There simply is no quick 'right' or 'wrong' in this. While the possibility of abuse of power by the parent is large, there always will be cases in which the child takes the initiative to such a relationship.

It takes enourmous strength and courage to keep saying no as a parent when you have a gorgeous adolescent child that keeps begging you for a more sexual relation.

Simply because a minor "initiates" such a relationship doesn't relieve the adult (whether it's a parent, teacher, coach, etc.) of total legal responsibility for what happens. If the minor is below the age of consent, the adult party is responsible.

I think matters like these should be looked on in a 'case by case' manner.

In the end, that is what justice should be about: look at each case seperately

Case-by-case justice still has to appeal to general principles of some sort; otherwise, it's just one person's opinion/preference against another's. E.g., murder is always a crime, but individual circumstances determine the crime's "degree".

Sorry for the DP, but it was too late to edit my first post. I wanted to add a response to @Kitsune. You mentioned something that is kind of off topic and I know some people feel the same way as you about this and it made me think some things. You said,

And I couldn't help but think of all the kids who have same sex parents who are in the schools where you think their families should not be portrayed as healthy, happy or desirable. I have a 5 year old niece and one of her best friends, May, has two moms. Why shouldn't May's family be portrayed as normal and desirable, just as my niece's family is which has a mom and a dad? If you think May's parents should have their choices respected and protected, which it sounds like you do, then their children should not be made to feel like her and her moms are different or less desirable than anyone else. And what kind of a lesson is it to be teaching kids, that my niece should feel like she is better than May because she's got two moms and my niece has a mom and a dad?

There are also millions of kids who hurt themselves because they are bullied at school for being queer. These kids do not choose to be gay and they do not deserve to be made into outsiders. Schools should simply accept and reflect back to their community that the kids who attend them come from families of all kinds of make up - blended, gay, etc, and kids themselves are going to be gay or straight or whatever. Schools should be teaching kids some book learning, some social and communications skills, maybe even how to be thoughtful and think for themselves, not telling them what is right or wrong with different kinds of families and sexual orientations.

If we don't have any say in a gay couple's decision to get married and have kids, because it's their right to do so if they wish, then how can we then turn around and say that schools should not portray those families as healthy? Why on earth would you want to make these children feel like their families are not healthy or desirable or that they themselves are not healthy or desirable? It just breaks my heart to think that people would put their values above the well being of little kids and teenagers and allow kids to be put in a position where they are made to feel that they and their families are not healthy or equal to others.

Even though it is off-topic let's play a simulation game. Let's pretend like we, you and I, each get to create a society from the ground up. You can make the rules (or laws), the attitudes, the cultural norms, and so on and so on of the society you are creating. And I can do the same with mine. And the goal is to have a society that can survive the longest and compete against the societies of the other players. How would each of our societies fare?

I don't know what you would choose to do with yours, but I think from the things I have read you say I believe there is a fair chance that you would lean towards a pretty egalitarian society with a lot of social freedom and laxitude. Maybe I am mistaken I don't really know, but in my society what I would do is try to strike a balance between individual freedoms, and social cohesion. It isn't that hard to do if you are willing to sacrifice the privileges of a few in order to guarantee that the society won't break down in the long run. In order to do this we need to try to curb or cull attitudes that are damaging to society and promote those that make society stronger.

And how do we choose which things to promote, which things to allow, and which things to curb? How do we identify the attitudes that are risky or a potential threat to society? Some of them are obvious, you should promote a healthy diet and you cannot allow people to go around killing others, for example because that would make it really hard for people to live together in peace. So that one has to go. But what about attitudes that seem innocuous because they don't hurt other individuals and yet pose a risk to society at large? Are there any attitudes like this and how do we identify them?

I think there is a spectrum, of course, but a good exercise is to take an attitude and ask yourself what would happen if every single person engages on it? so... let's try it with something silly.. what would happen if everyone gets a buzzcut? People would be uglier, but society survives, so getting a buzzcut is something we can allow. What would happen if everyone gives a little bit of what they make to charity? Society would be better, we would have more shelters for the poor, the elderly, and the disadvantaged. So charity is an attitude we should promote. What about being gay? What would happen if every person in society woke up gay one morning? What would happen is nobody would have children and society would collapse in less than a generation. So homosexuality is something to curb. What about incest? What would happen if everyone married their sibling or their parents? That one would also be a shitshow, we would have children but a lot of genetic issues and not too much cooperation between families, so it would take a few generations for complete breakdown, but eventually that is where society would be headed. So incest while slower than homosexuality is a also something we need to curb.

How do we curb these attitudes? The first thing is not to pretend like they are healthy. These aren't healthy attitudes, and precisely because homosexual kids tend to be bullied and homosexual adults can't form families and always have a myriad of mental health problems linked to their sexual orientation, homosexuality is not a desirable trait. Nobody really knows for sure whether or not people are born gay, there isn't a consensus, and in my opinion if people are born gay, not every gay person is born that way. Some people are confused through their adolescence and end up identifying as gay because it is the path they took and it became natural and normal for them. If sexuality is a "fluid" thing, doesn't it make more sense to try and push people to be straight? Why present impressionable kids with the idea that there are 75 different sexual orientations and everything is just equally good when it isn't? Why make them second guess their natural instincts? Why not let them figure shit out on their own? A lot of people get bullied for defying social norms and social cues, it happens to everyone who is different from the mainstream. Are we going to make every kid try 100 pairs of glasses just so that the shortsighted kids won't feel left out? Or tell them that having perfect eye-sight is "just as good" as suffering from eye problems? Makes no sense.

So if I had to create a society of my own I would let everyone choose their own sexuality but the absurd concept of gay marriage would be out of the question and I wouldn't let them adopt children. If they want marriage and children they would need to marry someone from the opposite sex like everyone else. They would be able to live together as a couple, practice their sexuality privately, and be protected from any sort of prosecution or attacks from others, but it would be forbidden to portray homosexuality openly in pop culture, the subject would be explained in stark terms in sex ed classes, and it wouldn't be something to celebrate. Same as incest.

Last edited:
  • Helpful!
Reactions: LioraVox
But this is where libertarians and I start to part ways: while I have no problem with gays or incestuous people themselves in an individual basis and I am all up for respecting their choices, I do have a problem with promoting homosexuality in our media and education system. I will never support homosexuality being portrayed in popular culture and the sex ed classes as a healthy, happy, and desirable lifestyle. It is insane to me. Just as insane as promoting incest as something natural and healthy would be. And it isn't just homosexuality, the same can be said about "body positivity". Of course we should respect fat people and not shame them. But I will never support a media that promotes obesity like something beautiful, healthy, or desirable.

How are obesity and homosexuality comparable? Why would you not want homosexuality to be as accepted by society as it can be? To teach kids from an early age that homosexuality is completely natural and that there's nothing wrong with it (unless you think there is something wrong with it)? Why would you not want to cut down on people being persecuted for their inate sexuality?

Status
Not open for further replies.