AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Photoshop yay or nay?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red7227 said:
Aerie Real campaign says no photoshop and no supermodels

http://www.hngn.com/articles/22453/2014 ... .htm#page4

Meh. American Eagle has one small division hopping on the "real beauty" bandwagon, because it's a kind of flavour-of-the-month cause. We'll see how they're doing with that in another year or two.

PS: What about the rest of American Eagle's advertising?

Who buys a magazine because someone on the cover is slightly thinner? If they're not naked, then surely you're buying for the articles / content - so such photos are irrelevant. Put a massive birth mark on her face, that'd be a page turner surely?

I used to like my ladies thin. Since I've gotten older, and perhaps with the help of MFC too, I've changed a lot :) Harking back to the first posts link - she was way hotter before the started 'shoppin her :drool:

Aella said:
Before I was a camgirl, I was a professional boudoir photographer and retoucher. I both took photos and did hundreds of hours of photoshop work on them, sometimes pore-by-pore redrawing. That shit is tedious.

Anyhow, if you put on makeup, you're trying to make yourself look more beautiful than you are. If you position yourself just right in the light, you are picking out a moment of time where you look gorgeous. Even with no photoshop retouching, the correct camera, lighting, pose, and makeup can make you look a thousand times more beautiful than you "really are." And for some reason, we consider that to be okay, but photoshop isn't. Photoshop is just one step further. Maybe in the future we'll develop supermakeup that gives you a perfect complexion, and contacts that make your eyes clear and bright. Would you reject using that?

Extreme photoshopping is used to pursue an ideal beauty. Usually the most extreme photoshop is used in cases of art - fashion magazines, or people meant to symbolize an ideal, not someone you recognize. If it's a well known character or celebrity, photoshop is used more similarly to makeup or an alternate world where they worked out and lost weight.

Everybody wants to look beautiful, and photoshop reflects what we could be, not what we are.
THIS! I'm late to the party but this is perfect. Bad editing drives me crazy but normal everyday "beauty enhancement photoshop" is no different than shaving your snatch or using blush to create cheek bones you aint got. and just like makeup, when someone is really good at it, it shows and get's appreciated.

since the beginning of time images of ideal beauty have been placed in front of us, and over thousands of years our eyes are still drawn to these images...
If people did not naturally prefer the visual, it wouldn't exist. If the images bother you or hurt your self esteem than you have other personal issues within yourself that need to be addressed.
:twocents-02cents:

JoleneBrody said:
If the images bother you or hurt your self esteem than you have other personal issues within yourself that need to be addressed.

That's fair enough with respect to adults, but what about adolescents still figuring out who they are and what is expected of them?

Reactions: Gen
PlayboyMegan said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/14/jennifer-lawrence-photoshop_n_4446190.html

Do you think heavily photoshopped photos are dangerous to today's youth? Why/why not?

Okay, when I read the header of this post I truly thought Megan was referencing herself regarding photoshopping her own pics and I thought, "Why? She's gorgeous just the way she is..." I really need to start reading these posts.

Sevrin said:
JoleneBrody said:
If the images bother you or hurt your self esteem than you have other personal issues within yourself that need to be addressed.

That's fair enough with respect to adults, but what about adolescents still figuring out who they are and what is expected of them?
I feel exactly the same. The pretty popular girls in school who called me ugly everyday had WAY more of an effect on my confidence than any picture on the cover of a magazine, and I blame that partially on shitty parenting and life skills being taught.

Edit. The above post reminded me that, IMO, half if the people who kick and scream about Photoshop have zero knowledge of its uses and unless presented with a dramatic before and after, would rarely recognize it.

OK, found this and thought I would share. No idea how it is done.

tumblr_n3r7pe0mO51s2yegdo1_400.gif

Photoshopping is just an extension of air brushing, and before that, oil paintings and sculpturing. I have a feeling that Nefertiti didn't look nearly as good as her bust. So humans have been doing this for over 3,000 years. I doubt it's going away. :)

rbx39Gy.jpg

The problem isn't the photoshopping, it's the lack of educating youth about what images really are...they are idealizations of things--good and bad.

In my brief stint as a model, I was shocked when I learned just how much photoshop was used. In between shoots, I'd chill with the photo editor in his office because it was quiet there, and sometimes he'd show me how much 'better' he could make women look with photoshop. Girls who were already ridiculously slim and beautiful still got retouched to make their waists even tinier, and their boobs perkier. It fucked my self esteem up a little when he showed me before/after images of myself. I started to dislike the 'before' image, and that freaked me out. It was one of the (many) reasons I left- I don't have to retouch myself to be a camgirl, I can just be a real human being.

Photoshop will always be used in marketing, but I think they should legally have to disclaim it in a footnote. Like how Mascara adverts have to say "Styled with Extensions" when they use gorgeous false lashes to promote their mascara, companies should have to put "Edited with Photoshop" at the bottom if they use anything other than lighting, contrast or saturation editing.

It's not that we don't know that what we're looking at isn't real. It's just really easy to forget, when it's shamelessly shoved in your face every day.

Alice_93 said:
In my brief stint as a model, I was shocked when I learned just how much photoshop was used. In between shoots, I'd chill with the photo editor in his office because it was quiet there, and sometimes he'd show me how much 'better' he could make women look with photoshop. Girls who were already ridiculously slim and beautiful still got retouched to make their waists even tinier, and their boobs perkier. It fucked my self esteem up a little when he showed me before/after images of myself. I started to dislike the 'before' image, and that freaked me out. It was one of the (many) reasons I left- I don't have to retouch myself to be a camgirl, I can just be a real human being.

Photoshop will always be used in marketing, but I think they should legally have to disclaim it in a footnote. Like how Mascara adverts have to say "Styled with Extensions" when they use gorgeous false lashes to promote their mascara, companies should have to put "Edited with Photoshop" at the bottom if they use anything other than lighting, contrast or saturation editing.

It's not that we don't know that what we're looking at isn't real. It's just really easy to forget, when it's shamelessly shoved in your face every day.
That makes a lot of sense really. Honesty in advertising...just like how we're trying to get companies to label food better...e.g., if it contains GMOs.

So I saw this video and remembered the Photoshop controversy. Just in case anyone thought moving images were "safe", this exists. Master race babes can become even moar master-racy.

NB: You gotta full-screen for the full effect.

[vimeo]110769587[/vimeo]

Apparently this is a service anyone can buy and they do free demos with your vids (probably a few frames). It's not cheap at $135-270 a minute for a 25 fps video, but sometimes you just need a few seconds worked on. There's no mention of adult, but a buck is a buck.

http://www.theskininmotion.com/

I'd prefer if Photoshop was used less. Image editing that allegedly makes people more attractive, isn't any more appealing to me. But I don't think it is a problem if Photoshop is used. Humanity is just vain and judgmental. What society projects as attractive has changed over time, but the projected idea that some things look better than others has existed forever. Photoshopping someone thinner is a lot less harmful, than when women wore corsets wrapped so tight it would damage their bone structure.

Problems with self esteem may have more to do with a lack of moderation in people's thoughts. There are seemingly more people than ever who have opinions to one extreme or the other about everything. Too many people with so little self esteem that they commit suicide. And too many people with too much self esteem, they think they're perfect in every way from their looks to their behavior, and are so unpleasant to deal with they make others want to kill themselves. :woops:

Reactions: ACFFAN69
I had really interesting chat recently with Chinese American expert on start ups. Her answer to my question "what's the coolest app in China that Americans don't have" was Meitu. (iOS and Android)
It is basically instagram, but instead of traditional camera filters, Meitu has really useful filters. Namely beauty filters, make me taller, slimer, my skin whiter, my eyes rounder. For a premium you can buy even more filters. It's been downloaded by 400 million folks, mostly girls, and the company is worth roughly $1 billion. I found it really easy to use, much easier than Photoshop, and by far the easiest 20 lbs I've ever lost . :mrgreen:

Anyway I think photoshopping is here to stay and will only get more popular, with tools like Meitu making it so accessible. I don't think it is much different than camera filters, make up or any of the thousands of beauty enhancing techniques that have been employed for thousands of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.