AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Roommates and camming, oh my!

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2015
Hey everyone!

I've been on MFC for almost a year now. During the past year I've lived alone which has been great for camming. In a few weeks I'll be renting a room in a house with 2 male friends that don't know that I cam on the side. This is going to put a damper on my camming because I feel like I wont be able to really talk that much..it's a smaller house. I don't do privates nor do I do cum shows..ect..So orgasmic noises aren't something I'm worried about. I do however talk a lot..and I feel like me being a good conversationalist has been one of the reasons I've been able to make it on MFC. How can I make up for what I'm about to lack in a few weeks? Has anyone else been in this position?

Advice appreciated!

Could you just tell them you cam?

I lived with two guys and one girl before, and I just told everyone "hey, I'm camming/filming at 7pm tonight, don't mind me if you hear me chatting" and they were cool about it. It was much easier to just tell them than try to hide it. I guess if you really had to hide it, you could say you Skype with your best friend at night or something?

If you're staying with them permanently (or at least, for a while) seems like telling them is easier than hiding it. But other girls have had awkward experiences with that, so take my advice with a grain of salt!

I don't see any problem at all. What's wrong with chatting? Or you think your mates will just burst into your room and wave their penises behind your back?

• Funny!
Reactions: HaileyJade
Mfc have very clear rules about males not bring allowed on cam so just coming into the room cold cause unnecessary issues. Also what if one calls out @worstcamgirl's really name while she's streaming. Huge safety issue.

I do agree with Gen telling them you cam would probably be the easiest option but if you're not comfortable could you maybe tell them that you do customer service/call centre work so you can work without being disturbed?

Thanks for the input so far. To answer a few questions...I'm not worried about anyone bursting into my room or anything like that. I should have explained more in the original post. The guys I'm about to be living with are people I've known for a long time and know my family. So telling them that I cam isn't something I want to do. Although I'm annoyed by the fact that it's seems to be such a "taboo" thing still..I'd rather just keep it to myself.

I am probably being a snoop but am signing up for myfreecams in a couple of months or so and am curious so if is too personal ignore me. Wondering why are you renting a room is camming not bringing you enough to have own place after a year? curious cause me the opposite - want to live alone to be able to cam. And the only advice I can give you is look into getting acousting blanket and maybe put it on your door will keep some of the sound out.

Violent- I have a full time job and I cam on the side. I could probably quit my job at this point and cam full time but I don't want to. It's a good extra income for me though. Roomates are only tempory until I move to another city. I plan on doing that in a few months. One thing I do not suggest is trying to cam as your only income when you first start out.

Reactions: SoTxBob
Thank you for answering! why do you not suggest that - would it be too slow when starting out? I am giving myself three months cushion/savings for starters but not sure maybe will need more...

Thank you for answering! why do you not suggest that - would it be too slow when starting out? I am giving myself three months cushion/savings for starters but not sure maybe will need more...

It can be very tough when you start out and even if you do everything you can perfectly, like great shows, perfect set up etc, you still need that little bit of luck for some people to find you who will actually tip enough to make it worthwhile.

I say if you don't feel comfortable about telling them that you cam, then tell them that your making youtube videos or live streaming on twitch or even creating a podcast & that's why your talking to yourself a lot. Also I have seen around the forum girls that discuss what they do to ensure their room mates or families are unaware of the activities going on behind closed doors.

I experienced this when I first started camming. I didn't want my 2 guy room mates to look at me different for how I chose to make my rent & it didnt help that one already had a crush on me. But I was open & honest & truth be told they didn't care & were willing to make changes around my cam shifts. To be honest, deep down I think what matter most to them was getting paid on time.

I can't imaging living with people who didn't know what I did for a living. I would tell them and ask for discretion. If you can't trust your roommates to be discreet, have you chosen the right roommates?

Thank you all for you thoughts. It's not that I don't trust them or anything. I've just been "low key" camming for a year now and I just prefer to keep it that way. Although it's going to be an adjustment I think it'll all work out if I make it work for myself :)

@worstcamgirl I get that. You can do it discreetly. I do shows where I am 'sneaking in a wank while my roommates are sleeping'. I make money with our without audio, so you got this.

Reactions: worstcamgirl
I live with a camgirl roomate and two non-camgirls roomates and I just went straight forward with them. I ask them for discretion, I tell them about my shifts and I gifted them headphones. I agree in the thought that if they are your friends they really won't care, specially if you're not even a nude model, there shouldn't be an issue at all. But I also understand why you don't want to tell them. In that case I'd do what the other girls say: tell them you are a youtuber, or tell them you are skyping with a friend or a significant other, cam when they're not home if possible.

Reactions: worstcamgirl
My roommate knows that I cam, and she's actually pretty cool about it. I make sure to not do any privates/cumshows while she's home, so she doesn't have to hear me moaning and dirty talking, and she's also pretty used to me walking around the apartment half naked by now lmao. Like other people have said, if you don't want them to know, just say you're skyping with a friend or something...and be sure to turn off the tip sound, because that could possibly raise questions.

I've started up recently and I've run into this issue as well. My roommates are both girls, but one of my roommates is really uptight. I'm fairly active in the kink community in my city, which she knows about, and is really uncomfortable with it, so I know camming would not go over well with her (luckily my other roommate is more open minded and is totally chill). I always play music in my room, so that makes me feel less self conscious of talking on cam when she's home, even with our thin walls. I think it would be worth having a friend who knows you cam come over when your roommates aren't home and have them talk in your room while you test out what you can actually hear from their rooms or other areas in the house because I was really nervous about it, but it ended up being an unnecessary worry; my chill roommate said she never hears anything. Anyhow, so far my uptight roommate hasn't asked about anything yet.

Reactions: BritneySiren
I've been in this situation. Most dudes really don't care. So long as ur not keeping ppl up at odd hours they probably wont mind. Then again I never said anything until I was at a place a few months lol. I mean u work and pay rent... that's all most roomates care about though I've never had female roomies. I imagine that might be harder to swallow since many women have their own issues with sexuality in general

Reactions: lacilemondrop
I've recently started and am living with a guy!
I told him when I intended to start, and now I just put up a 'streaming' sign on the door and it's fine!

As someone who doesn't use sound because of roommates and neighbors....

And someone who DOES do privates and cum shows, I can tell you that sounds like it's going to be really difficult...

This can be tricky! I find it difficult to get in work mode when other people are home, and usually limit my cam time to when my SO is at work. This isn't so bad because he obviously knows and respects what I do and would never come home unannounced and always sends me a heads up text when he's on his way. I can't imagine trying to make it work with roommates or anyone who didn't know what I was doing, especially if knowing would make them uncomfortable!
However, when I do need to cam and think other people might hear me talking I usually mention that I have a few Skype meetings with students. Everyone in my life knows that I work online, but the majority think that I'm an academic ghost writer for college students. This has worked really well for me personally!
Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.