AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

"Rough Night" Trailer backlash

• Thread starter Deleted member 35180
  • Start date
  • ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 35180

What are your thoughts on this?

Is the backlash totally acceptable? Is it a bit oversensitive? Will you be boycotting and retweeting the fury?

I'm with the first and last and wanted to start a dialogue about this.

Reactions: THE MOLLIE MARIE
Yeah I'm not into dehumanizing SWs, not for a laugh in the media I consume, not at all. This creates/adds to real dangers we already face.

I love Jacq the Stripper! Now there's a comedian who makes me laugh.

My heart is so sad that my love Kate McKinnon would do this :drowning:

Really though I think it's shitty and it's quite obvious if it was men killing a lady stripper, the reaction would be more outrage from everyone. (I know about Very Bad Things). Just switching things from men to women doesn't make them less gross.

I'm also bummed because I like lady ensemble comedies and I want them to make more of them but not...like this, lol. I definitely won't see it.

I fucking love Jacq the Stripper (though I don't really like the sashes in that one drawing). She's amazing and hilarious.

A lot of fat-phobia going on here too. Not impressed.
Yeah as soon as that happened, my actual face was :O like really in 2017 this is what we are making?

I can honestly say I will obey the law and NOT torrent download this movie.

Until I actually see it, I don't know how I can dislike it. If it's a female version of "Really Bad Things," I probably won't like it...but that's because that movie was just so ugly and evil.

Until I actually see it, I don't know how I can dislike it. If it's a female version of "Really Bad Things," I probably won't like it...but that's because that movie was just so ugly and evil.
The Trailer and premise are enough to make me cringe. Articles I've read against Rough Night have mentioned Really Bad Things in their lists of movies they're sick of seeing this same script in. To each their own opinion though.

Reactions: Nordling
If that trailer offends you maybe you should stop watching tv, movies, and reading books. Where is the outrage when it is done to women in pretty much every form of media. Not once in the trailer do they say hey people should go out and murder sexy workers. People need to grow a sense of humor.

Where is the outrage when it is done to women in pretty much every form of media.
Trust me, I am also "outraged" when it is done to women, but it happens so often that posting about it here every time would be seen as spammy. :nod:

I was born to a Catholic mother and a Jewish father. Both of those religions are heavily made fun of in comedy. I learned to have a sense of humor about it. I don't get outraged when I see comedy about it in the media. I get outraged when hate filled language is spray painted on the side of jewish buildings in real life. When did we become a country of people who get offended at stupid crap? I absolutely hate the term "snowflake" but that is what we have become.

It looks bad but I don't think it's offensive. Macabre and dark for sure but if we deem every film that mirrors this one tonally offensive, then we're arbitrarily criticising a lot of films. The stripper being killed just seems like a lazy plot point. They needed to kill someone in the house for the rest of the film to work, so it could have been a pizza delivery guy or a stripper or a plumber or just some random guy they met at a club and really, I don't think any of those choices are more morally questionable than any other.

There's a ton of precedent for this type of film too - Very Bad Things, Weekend at Bernie's, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, etc If anything, the backlash feels a little sexist to me. Men have been making dark comedies with amoral characters based around similar subject matter for decades and rarely faced any backlash for it. I don't see what the issue is now that women are making those same movies.

Reactions: Sdog1982
I would definitely take some offense if they were like "Oh well, who cares, its only a stripper. What did they expect?" That sort of flippant attitude about the safety of sex workers in media and in real life is really annoying. Until the movie comes out though it's probably yet to be seen how the movie treats the subject as the trailers can be very different from the movie.

Kate McKinnon's Australian accent/character might annoy me too, that will either be very funny or a total fail. There's usually no in between.

Reactions: Sdog1982
The first trailer for this movie that I saw was about 2 mins long. The first minute, I was thinking "wow, this looks funny! I might have to go see that." When minute 2 rolled around and it got to the stripper-killing part, I was cringing. I don't think the negative reactions are uncalled for, or over sensitive.

Saw someone sarcastically comment on twitter: "They should stop making Zombie movies and killing Zombies, too."

To which Jacq the Stripper responded "Zombies aren't real - threats against sex workers lives are."

I think the Dead Hooker trope is maybe my least favorite thing ever. It's tasteless and tedious by default.
It's the kind of subject that thrives on outrage, and I have no doubt this controversy was manufactured to generate buzz. Given that outrage is the common currency of social media, I'd say the job is being done to its correct specifications. I hadn't even heard of this movie until there was backlash. Based on the people involved, it seems like an attempt to possibly subvert the trope? Either way, I can't imagine this being anything other than boring.

The stripper being killed just seems like a lazy plot point. They needed to kill someone in the house for the rest of the film to work, so it could have been a pizza delivery guy or a stripper or a plumber or just some random guy they met at a club and really, I don't think any of those choices are more morally questionable than any other.

There were people in the backlash who were asking how people would react if it had been a chef they'd privately ordered to cater, would people still see it as dark humour, or would they see it more so as kind of fucked up?

There's a ton of precedent for this type of film too - Very Bad Things, Weekend at Bernie's, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, etc If anything, the backlash feels a little sexist to me. Men have been making dark comedies with amoral characters based around similar subject matter for decades and rarely faced any backlash for it. I don't see what the issue is now that women are making those same movies.

All of the backlash that I saw was coming from women. Maybe we're used to seeing this type of thing from men, especially since they've dominated the media industries, but when women do it, and the trailer comes out days after Women's Day, other women can't believe they're joining in to the same shitty plot.

Then there's the whole fat-phobia part of this.

@Sdog1982 , good for you. I'm different. Also telling people what they should or need to do rarely makes them want to listen your point of view. Also, what @Mollie_ said.

@AriaFaye , I find it all damaging

@zippypinhead , how do you see it as an attempt to possible subvert the trope? Interesting.

I think the Dead Hooker trope is maybe my least favorite thing ever. It's tasteless and tedious by default.
It's the kind of subject that thrives on outrage, and I have no doubt this controversy was manufactured to generate buzz. Given that outrage is the common currency of social media, I'd say the job is being done to its correct specifications. I hadn't even heard of this movie until there was backlash. Based on the people involved, it seems like an attempt to possibly subvert the trope? Either way, I can't imagine this being anything other than boring.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. The trailer popped up as a promoted tweet for me so I watched it and thought, "Kate, noooo! Can we not?" I'm a fan of dark comedies, but only if they aren't just tired rehashes of already un-funny tropes.

I think what bothers me the most about this movie is the premise of "we are going to INSIST on making this the best week of our fucking lives - even though we killed this guy!"

Sure it's "just a movie" but to me, that enforces the idea that sex workers don't matter in our society - that they are disposable.

I think what bothers me the most about this movie is the premise of "we are going to INSIST on making this the best week of our fucking lives - even though we killed this guy!"

Sure it's "just a movie" but to me, that enforces the idea that sex workers don't matter in our society - that they are disposable.

This.

@zippypinhead interesting... interesting.

Reactions: Picnic
Status
Not open for further replies.