AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Snapchat with burner number...

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxyDame

Cam Model
Dec 12, 2018
California
profiles.myfreecams.com
Twitter Username
@FoxyDameMFC
MFC Username
FoxyDame
Chaturbate Username
Evie_banks
Has anyone tried using snapchat on their normal phone but using a burner number from an app? I am wondering if this would work or if my personal contacts would still be able to see my cam snapchat... I did a search but wasnt finding any answers for this specific question. Thanks everyone!

You don't have to connect your phone, you can use an email and just not enter anything in the phone number section.

But as long as the burner number you're using can receive texts, then sure it should work. They text you a confirmation code.

Has anyone tried using snapchat on their normal phone but using a burner number from an app? I am wondering if this would work or if my personal contacts would still be able to see my cam snapchat... I did a search but wasnt finding any answers for this specific question. Thanks everyone!
You should be able to create your snapchat with no phone number at all. I have never entered mine. Just used my cam email.

You should be able to create your snapchat with no phone number at all. I have never entered mine. Just used my cam email.

Does that alone ensure contacts can't see it? Because regardless of entering it or not, snapchat knows the phone number and all the contacts once it's installed on a phone.

chrome_2019-01-04_18-51-37.png chrome_2019-01-04_18-45-00.png chrome_2019-01-04_18-44-45.png

I never trust entering my number, even if I have that option turned off. Instagram for example, is notorious for showing me "recommended" people that I know/know of IRL if I make the mistake of allowing it access to my contacts even once.

Also, even if you tell snapchat to not use your number to let others find you, it still does. I have it disabled, and I've had three people I know IRL request friend on SC.

Also, even if you tell snapchat to not use your number to let others find you, it still does. I have it disabled, and I've had three people I know IRL request friend on SC.

There are plenty of ways to connect you to other people without using your number. See: everything people are mad at Facebook about lately.

In any case, for anyone on Android, do this in addition to the in-app settings:

Screenshot_20190104-224855.png

(I also run any cam-related apps and accounts from an entirely separate Android and Chrome profile, but I'm not super paranoid about tracking, it's mainly to prevent me from slipping up and posting in the wrong place.)

@Lintilla You can disagree with me on it all you want. But, when I asked them how they found me, they told me it was my phone number. They have me in their contacts, with only my phone number, and it suggested me as already using it even though I have it set to not do so. No real name, and no email of that ID associated. One of them is a few states away from me as well, so it sure as hell isn't by location.

I always just assume that anything that's on my phone will most likely leak personal info to people on my contact list no matter how careful I am. Regarding FB, they have been known to constantly change security settings, associated apps, etc. on updates forcing people to constantly go back in and validate settings. Got tired of it and just deleted my accounts entirely.

Reactions: QuinnLane
@Lintilla You can disagree with me on it all you want. But, when I asked them how they found me, they told me it was my phone number. They have me in their contacts, with only my phone number, and it suggested me as already using it even though I have it set to not do so. No real name, and no email of that ID associated. One of them is a few states away from me as well, so it sure as hell isn't by location.

I always just assume that anything that's on my phone will most likely leak personal info to people on my contact list no matter how careful I am. Regarding FB, they have been known to constantly change security settings, associated apps, etc. on updates forcing people to constantly go back in and validate settings. Got tired of it and just deleted my accounts entirely.

Check their privacy policy for the long list of other ways they track you. That and... people's contact lists do link other information to your contact entry, whether those people are aware of it or not. They're not saved in the contact entry, but in the background, third parties are piecing the puzzle together. Facebook, Snapchat et al. don't need to search you by phone number directly. You've likely managed to associate other bits of data with Snapchat that leave a lovely trail of breadcrumbs. Or, if you're extra careful, chances are that people you know are NOT. The data on you doesn't need to come from you at all.

ETA: To clarify, most of the time the question is phrased something like "allow ______ to share my number with others", which you'll notice still allows others to share your number with them. Which is an issue...

• Helpful!
Reactions: Gen and AudriTwo
I never trust entering my number, even if I have that option turned off. Instagram for example, is notorious for showing me "recommended" people that I know/know of IRL if I make the mistake of allowing it access to my contacts even once.
That’s the key... I never gave Snapchat my phone number..

Reactions: FoxyDame
That’s the key... I never gave Snapchat my phone number..
Sorry, I was trying to back you up with my experience, not disagree with you

Check their privacy policy for the long list of other ways they track you. That and... people's contact lists do link other information to your contact entry, whether those people are aware of it or not. They're not saved in the contact entry, but in the background, third parties are piecing the puzzle together. Facebook, Snapchat et al. don't need to search you by phone number directly. You've likely managed to associate other bits of data with Snapchat that leave a lovely trail of breadcrumbs. Or, if you're extra careful, chances are that people you know are NOT. The data on you doesn't need to come from you at all.

ETA: To clarify, most of the time the question is phrased something like "allow ______ to share my number with others", which you'll notice still allows others to share your number with them. Which is an issue...

Yes, I'm very aware of the backend info linking and data collection that companies do. Again, it still allows people to find me by my phone number only when I tell the app to not allow it to do so. Should be plain and simple, if I say "Don't do that" it should not fucking do it. Goes back to what I said about how I always expect anything on my phone to leak personal info even when I tell it not to.

Yes, I'm very aware of the backend info linking and data collection that companies do. Again, it still allows people to find me by my phone number only when I tell the app to not allow it to do so. Should be plain and simple, if I say "Don't do that" it should not fucking do it. Goes back to what I said about how I always expect anything on my phone to leak personal info even when I tell it not to.

It's probably not your number that was used to find you, and your phone is not likely "leaking" anything you didn't agree to (although to use anything free you agree to a LOT).

Friends with poor security habits like your friend are the weakest link here. You know that they shared contacts with Snapchat, and they need a talking to, because they're going around spreading YOUR phone number, but also linking you up through third party sites where they have added you as a friend, and even where you don't have an account. These don't need your phone number, you're simply UID 4742768852278. I'd get a new number and email and be more careful who you give it to next time. That person gets your Google Voice number, if anything.

More than likely you've slipped up now and then and handed over your contacts yourself, even if you corrected it soon after... We all have. Most apps aren't doing things you said not to do. They're just doing 100 other things, after they made everyone who didn't read the privacy policy feel comfy.

For social media, I recommend using a separate email from anything you will EVER associate with your phone number or address. Possibly use a separate email for everything--I personally use an email service that allows aliases. I trust cam sites I use, for the most part (I get ZERO spam on those addresses) but since they have my personal info, I don't reuse for other things. NEVER allow permission to use your phone number if you can avoid it. NEVER EVER allow access to contacts. If you have multiple personas, use separate browser profiles, and don't mix them. Separate phone profiles surely helps. I don't have a single contact on my camming Android profile to share, even if I push the wrong button. I use Brave on my phone, and adblockers on my computer.

Somehow I have never had any of these "suggested users" and other issues that others do, except when I can trace it to my own sloppiness. Why doesn't my phone "leak"?

• Helpful!
Reactions: Gen
I use an app called FreeTone for a second phone number- I use it for regs who like to be on the phone during privates and also for my SnapChat. It's a pain to keep logging in and out of Snap between cam and real accounts, but it has worked well for me otherwise.
It is a free app, but I have chosen the cheap plan (I think it's $3/month) because the free one was glitchy for me.

• Helpful!
Reactions: QuinnLane

Hell, you don't even need to give Instagram your number, it goes off of GPS, too. I never gave it my number, but it was still recommending IRL friends on my cam account.

It's a pain to keep logging in and out of Snap between cam and real accounts,

I have them on separate phones now. When I got my current phone, the old one wasn't worth jack for a trade-in, so I just kept it, since it still can use apps when connected to wifi. It has a better camera, so I use it for my cam Snap, and anytime I need to take pictures of things I'm selling, it's that phone that I use.

Reactions: Gia_Xo
I guess I should point out that my other thing is that I don't have any real life accounts at all. So my phone can never get confused which one I am on, such as...
Hell, you don't even need to give Instagram your number, it goes off of GPS, too. I never gave it my number, but it was still recommending IRL friends on my cam account.
Had you ever logged into your personal instagram or facebook on the same device? Cuz they get ya with that, even if you have contact sharing off. Evil FB empire.

I guess I should point out that my other thing is that I don't have any real life accounts at all. So my phone can never get confused which one I am on, such as...

Had you ever logged into your personal instagram or facebook on the same device? Cuz they get ya with that, even if you have contact sharing off. Evil FB empire.

I never had a personal instagram, but I had logged into facebook on the same phone. I wound up deleting that instagram account because of a combination of them being awful to sex workers and all the recommendations. I've also recently deleted Facebook completely, because fuck them, too.

Reactions: AmberCutie
, but I had logged into facebook on the same phone
Ding ding ding! I think 98% of all people posting or asking about how their Instagram/other apps figure out their contacts and recommend real friends is because of having logged into FB on their phone.

FB is a demonl, and it's seeps its claws into anything it touches.

I have used a Google Voice number before. I used to only use my email, but I got locked out of my first Snapchat account, so I just use a fake number, from textfree. (iPhone, idk if they have an Android app)

I also use a proxy 24/7 now.

I 2nd using Google Voice for Insta or Snapchat. I had no incidents but with religiously fanatic family and a vanilla based business, one can't be too safe. Alternatively, I have also bought phones off ebay and never activated them. My Samsung Gal 6 was about 100 bucks, takes great photos/vids and has never been connected to anything other than my adult stuff. I just connect it to my local wifi or my hotspot on my non adult phone.

Reactions: SNATCH
Status
Not open for further replies.