AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Speed

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1349121735.png

Luckily, I get this speed pretty consistent where I live.

1349126402.png

My speed to Renton, WA where the IP location of MFC video servers are :)

I can't remember what company's doing it but I read a story that a town in California's going to be a test area for a 1 Gbs internet connection which will only cost $70 a month.

morment said:
I can't remember what company's doing it but I read a story that a town in California's going to be a test area for a 1 Gbs internet connection which will only cost $70 a month.

I think its in the San Francisco area and google is playing a big part in it.

My ISP had to limit my speed to 8mb/s as it kept trying to synch faster - causing no end of shit for months and months (speeds would drop to 0.5mb/s for days on end).
Now the ping suffers and speed still fluctuates by a few Mb/s, but at least it is "workable" (compared to what I had between November and March, it's a fucking dream now). Anyway - UK result :D

1349533062.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1349533741.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1349534343.png

Lovely ping (to a slightly further afield location
1349535697.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1349537506.png

Between November/March I had this sort of thing going on...

1178883257.png

contrasted with
1179561892.png

Needless to say, it led to many a night of pulling hair out as the connection was unusable - it took 4 months before they believed and sorted my issues out. Anyway, being limited offers a more peaceful existence for the price of reduced up/down speed and worse ping :D

Good ol England :D
:D

p.s. I fail to believe that up/down speed of 0.8mb/s is faster than 69% of the UK, given they say 70+% of the UK has broadband...

I think I'm in the lead so far.
1349807679.png

Mobile - the monkeys at my ISP accidentally turned off the wrong DSL line, so I'm down from my usual ~3M/.5M.
And quota of a few tens of meg a day.
Hence I've not been on MFC much this last few days.

I think its quite strange how the last post made when this thread died was june 19th of last year, and the same topic was made/combined a year later exactly.

And the results sound about right.

Not great, and the slow upload speed is noticeable when I turn on my cam. Fibre is available in my area, but I won't make the switch until digital TV over fibre is also available.

Ok... I have a faster 20Mb main connection but this is a mobile one (USB stick)... rural UK area... with an exchange and mast just about 200m away. I use the mobile connection when working from home and I can use it with a laptop in my garden... hey, its sunny hehe!

Attachments

• Speedtest 1 (31-07-2011).jpg
    Speedtest 1 (31-07-2011).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 99
Speed is king in the web world.

This is gunna make yall jealous.

But I get 65 MBPS Download and 5MBPS Upload

when I run a test via

http://www.speakeasy.net

and select the nearest city/state to me.

I pay a lot of money for that connection, and I have had to crack the whip on my service provider constantly to keep it that way.

Including 2 weeks of tech visits to the house and the surrounding property one year ago, and 3 tech visits to the house and property in early July.

Know exactly what your Down and Up Mbps should be according to what you pay your service provider.

Anytime it seems slow, test it, and do a screen capture for proof.

Call and demand that they credit your bill for one free day of service every single time you catch that the speed is not up to par.

Demand sweetly and politely though.

Also, if you have continued probablems, tell them this: "I am concerned that there is a problem with the infrastructure that supports the internet connection in my area. And you need to run diagnostics to determine the exact damaged locations in the lines that are affecting the issue." Also have them come to your house to run tests. Always be patient, and consistent, and followup.

Know this: I have heard that extreme high temps in the summer can affect the quality of the protective coating on the wires and also on the fibers within the cable lines. Direct line in internect connections are best. Stay away from those "convenient wireless options" they all try to push on you - they are shity for webcamming!

Other things that can affect connection: lines that are split too many times in your neighborhood and need corrected, damaged lines from storms and animals and car accidents, temperatures, rain/moisture getting to troublesome connections in the infrastructure, angling of lines, and more.

Another helpful test you can learn how to run is a PING
and also a ipconfig

:)

Peace!

You are fortunate you have a provider who bends over! Here, if you get an engineer out and there isn't a fault with their stuff (i.e. in the cabinet), it costs 200 pounds - about 325 dollars. Contracts specifically state speeds may vary, so you can't demand anything :D

BTW, for those getting slooooow speeds, test another server. Results vary widely by server - often the servers fault, not your connection...

Reactions: caireen
Zoomer said:
You are fortunate you have a provider who bends over! Here, if you get an engineer out and there isn't a fault with their stuff (i.e. in the cabinet), it costs 200 pounds - about 325 dollars. Contracts specifically state speeds may vary, so you can't demand anything :D

BTW, for those getting slooooow speeds, test another server. Results vary widely by server - often the servers fault, not your connection...

i checked on speedtest and was appalled at my .52mbps download speed (i pay for 20, the highest i can get here in mex) but i checked on three more speedtest sites and my dl speed was near 20.. so yes.. you're right.

1412601264.png

ATT Uverse and I hate them with a passion. Took them a year and two emails to their CEO to get my billing correct. Unfortunately, they are my best option though.

BlakeDahlia said:
What's ping?

A few months ago I downgraded my service a bit to save money. I have no idea where I was at before but now it's:

Download: 25.13 Mbps
Upload: 4.23 Mbps
Ping: 14 Ms

Besides paying for a faster connection, is there anything I can do to increase these numbers? Especially the upload speed as I guess that's more important for camming.

No idea what you know about terms, so apologies if this seems a bit patronising :oops:

Ping is - ack, if you're in a cave and you shout - you get an echo. The longer the echo takes to be heard, the "further away" the surface that the sound is bouncing off is. Ships use sonar to check depth doing the same thing, and if you've watched war films where a submarine is being hunted and you hear the "ping" of the sonar (and the response) - well... same concept.

Ping is an electronic version of that, measuring how long it takes to get a response from somewhere. Essentially it "shouts" from your computer to the end computer, and the end computer returns the shout back, and the time taken displayed. Shout is actually packets of data. Ping can vary greatly from second to second, so it sends many packets and takes the average time to get them back. It can also then see if any didn't return (packet loss).

"Is there anything I can do to increase these numbers". Speed depends upon infrastructure/connection types. I'm guessing you've got cable as that's a great connection.

With webcams the video feed is essentially x pictures being sent per second, and sound. The pictures are compressed and they use some nice maths to actually make it even better - but it's all data. The bigger/more quality the image, the more data it takes to show it, and therefore the more data needs to be sent. You can upload almost as much data per second as I can download... it's good!

The amount sent per second is related to the quality you have. HD cams may require more up bandwidth, but if you've got some reasonable firewall you can probably check out how much you are using when transmitting. Having a "fast" connection matters to a point (bandwidth is more correct than "speed" - but we tend to talk about fast for some reason), but think of it with a pipe analogy. A pipe that can transit 10 litres of water per minute could be your cam upstream with normal resolution. It may need 20 litres per minute for "hd" (mfc doesn't do it, but other sites do). If your pipe can take 25 litres per minute, then you wouldn't need more pipe - it won't make any difference. You could upgrade to a pipe that takes 200 litres per minute, but since you're only pouring 20 litres per minute into the pipe - it doesn't get the water out any quicker :D

So that was a shite explanation for why, unless your cam requires more bandwidth then it is currently using (i'd be bloody horrified if it did) you won't need to upgrade as it won't make any difference whatsoever :)
Others may shoot my explanations/analogies full of holes, and yeah, it's overly long winded too... but meh. I hadn't posted for days, so I'd saved up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.