AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Streaming with DSRL cam

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can either use a capture card or through a usb cord plugged in directly to the computer depending on if the camera you are using offers software to do this, though there are some limitations and even buying a cheap capture card is probably better. Some cameras also cannot provide a clean HDMI output you that is one feature you have to make sure your camera has.

If you still need to get a DSLR, I'd recommend the Sony Alpha 6000, which has a really good sensor for the price point. The alpha series in general is popular with models and livestreamers.

This site will tell you if your camera will work for livestreaming; ie, has clean HDMI output and unlimited runtime. Some cameras will overheat if left on too long.

You'll need an HDMI capture card to use it as a webcam. You can get a cheap but fully functional one for like $20.

Cannon also has the eos webcam software, but you would need to double check the camera is supported, im pretty sure it's not 100% of their cameras that work with it.

• Helpful!
Reactions: Mel1 and MarieElise
If you still need to get a DSLR, I'd recommend the Sony Alpha 6000, which has a really good sensor for the price point. The alpha series in general is popular with models and livestreamers.

This site will tell you if your camera will work for livestreaming; ie, has clean HDMI output and unlimited runtime. Some cameras will overheat if left on too long.

You'll need an HDMI capture card to use it as a webcam. You can get a cheap but fully functional one for like $20.
It should also be noted that the cams that overheat sometimes overheat because of battery heat, so using an external power supply will often extend the runtime quite a bit.

One I have that does overheat after a while, does not seem to overheat anywhere as soon when using it with an external power supply.

And also turning off steadyshot on Sony is supposed to slow down power consumption and overheating.

I have at moment NikonD3500 , thank you

It should also be noted that the cams that overheat sometimes overheat because of battery heat, so using an external power supply will often extend the runtime quite a bit.

One I have that does overheat after a while, does not seem to overheat anywhere as soon when using it with an external power supply.

And also turning off steadyshot on Sony is supposed to slow down power consumption and overheating.
Sorry , I just checked out the link, and I get this...what that Unlimited time means?

Max resolution
1080p30
Clean HDMI
question.png

Yes
Unlimited runtime
question.png

No
Connection type
Mini HDMI
Power
Dummy Battery
Verified by
question.png

Community
Note
Press "Info" button to enable HDMI clean out.

It means that the camera/battery will overheat and shutdown after some time. On my older camera it is around 30-45 minutes, but if you are in a cool place and using an external power supply I have had it last a lot longer.

Using an external power supply will increase the time (it will reduce the amount of heat in the camera), turning off steady-shot (sony, nikon may have similar) reduces power usage, and therefore heat.

Reactions: Mel1
It means that the camera/battery will overheat and shutdown after some time. On my older camera it is around 30-45 minutes, but if you are in a cool place and using an external power supply I have had it last a lot longer.

Using an external power supply will increase the time (it will reduce the amount of heat in the camera), turning off steady-shot (sony, nikon may have similar) reduces power usage, and therefore heat.
thank you!

It means that the camera/battery will overheat and shutdown after some time.
On my Sony a6400, there was a setting I had to change that stopped the camera from "protecting itself" from overheating because even with my fake battery/power supply it was shutting off during my live cam sessions. I can't recall what setting it was, but something to remember if that happens.

• Helpful!
Reactions: MarieElise and Mel1
While all cameras are limited by heat and will usually shut off if it gets too hot, some will also stop recording after 30 minutes of recording, regardless of heat. I believe this had to do with how the EU classified video cameras (can record 30min or longer), for which they slapped on higher import fees.

On my Sony a6400, there was a setting I had to change that stopped the camera from "protecting itself" from overheating because even with my fake battery/power supply it was shutting off during my live cam sessions. I can't recall what setting it was, but something to remember if that happens.
It's the "auto power off temp." setting in the setup menu.

I just don't like the quality, I think its not enought. I also don't use OBS because it too complicated for me :(
I think a lot of sites require you to use OBS to get better streaming quality, would kind of defeat the purpose of using a camera for streaming otherwise. As for camera recommendations what exactly do you plan on using the camera for, and what is your budget?

I just don't like the quality, I think its not enought. I also don't use OBS because it too complicated for me :(
I think OBS would make using a regular camera for streaming a lot easier, honestly. It's worth it to learn the basics of OBS, you're missing a lot of functionality on any cam site without it.

What is your current lighting set up like?
A good lighting setup can make a bigger difference to your picture quality than a camera upgrade a lot of the time.

Im a model, streaming on cb, I dont know for a budget, maybe max 500 usd .
I don't feel like you're going to find a DSLR or mirrorless cam that works well for streaming for that amount of money. Might be better to focus on getting a newer, higher resolution Logitech Webcam instead.

I don't feel like you're going to find a DSLR or mirrorless cam that works well for streaming for that amount of money. Might be better to focus on getting a newer, higher resolution Logitech Webcam instead.
You can get a used a6000 for under $400 USD, or a Lumix G7. Could also get a point and shoot like the Sony rx100 iii for around $300 USD which has some advantages like not having to worry about lenses, and then get some lights with the leftover money.

I think OBS would make using a regular camera for streaming a lot easier, honestly. It's worth it to learn the basics of OBS, you're missing a lot of functionality on any cam site without it.

I use a diffused light, umbrella type, only without an umbrella, I like it better.

You can get a used a6000 for under $400 USD, or a Lumix G7. Could also get a point and shoot like the Sony rx100 iii for around $300 USD which has some advantages like not having to worry about lenses, and then get some lights with the leftover money.
thank you!

I guess I wasn't thinking about used, so good lookin' out. But also worries me she thinks OBS is too difficult, since running a regular camera as webcam itself can be confusing.

I tend to always tell lesser technically inclined people to stick to webcams since they're easier to plug n play.

The only real advantage a DSLR has over a webcam is the ability to use optical zoom lenses vs having to carefully place the webcam often rather close. And the autofocus on the DSLR gets a bit funky for video (in/out of focus at random times on my older sony a-mount). And if you use fixed focus then you need to use a higher f-stop so more is in focus which means you need a lot of light to maintain image quality.

Note that a 4k logitech brio (seems to be around $170 now) should have about 2x optical zoom (with the controls in OBS) when broadcasting 1080 (since the sensor is at least 4k, you can use 1/4 of the sensor and still get good quality 1080 resolution without any digital tricks). This should also mean that it a 4k brio has some ability to pan/tilt the smaller 1080p section on the much larger 4k sensor. But I have not yet decided to get a brio, I am just basing this on what the rest of the logitech webcam line features. The logitech 92X series can do some of this to a limited extend but they underlying sensor is only about 2300x1536 so about 1.2 optical zoom at 1080, more pan/title/zoom at lower resolutions.

The only real advantage a DSLR has over a webcam is the ability to use optical zoom lenses vs having to carefully place the webcam often rather close. And the autofocus on the DSLR gets a bit funky for video (in/out of focus at random times on my older sony a-mount). And if you use fixed focus then you need to use a higher f-stop so more is in focus which means you need a lot of light to maintain image quality.

Note that a 4k logitech brio (seems to be around $170 now) should have about 2x optical zoom (with the controls in OBS) when broadcasting 1080 (since the sensor is at least 4k, you can use 1/4 of the sensor and still get good quality 1080 resolution without any digital tricks). This should also mean that it a 4k brio has some ability to pan/tilt the smaller 1080p section on the much larger 4k sensor. But I have not yet decided to get a brio, I am just basing this on what the rest of the logitech webcam line features. The logitech 92X series can do some of this to a limited extend but they underlying sensor is only about 2300x1536 so about 1.2 optical zoom at 1080, more pan/title/zoom at lower resolutions.
Autofocus isn't going to be an issue using any e-mount camera, or most modern cameras, at least not for streaming. The brio doesn't have optical zoom, only digital.

DSLR/mirrorless cameras have other advantages, like better dynamic range, better colours, better low light capabilities, and they can also be used to make content as you can take them anywhere, unlike a webcam.

The Brio also has the issues of requiring an awful amount of light to look good if you want to stream in 60fps

I have the Brio, and I have to admit it does have issues. I've been a bit disappointed with it.

Issues with focus even when I put autofocus off, and change the settings in OBS, issues with contrast.. issues with lots of things that drive me somewhat crazy. The quality I was expecting by buying it, and the quality I got were 2 different things. Next time I'm either buying a DSLR or just going back to the c920. Considering I had to replace the C920 every year due to the cable issue, then I'm likely going to go ahead w a DSLR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.