AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Successful models are not doing "nothing" for their money

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Successful models are not doing "nothing" for their mone

UncleThursday said:
Example:

Salesperson putting in unrealistic order that in no way could conceivably ship out in under a day at the end of the day."Yeah! No problem! I can get that shipped out tomorrow for you!" Puts in order. Goes home. Comes in the next day. If order cannot ship, calls/emails higher ups in company bitching about how his/her customer needs it shipped out that day. Higher ups rain holy hell down on regular employees for not getting order shipped out on time.

So, you're judging everyone in a profession based on a hypothetical example? Sure, some salesmen lie about the product. Some nurses fuck up medications. Some camgirls finish their countdown and sign off. Some writers steal other people's ideas and never give credit. Some teachers teach creationalism.

What's your fucking point?

RoxieRed said:
I wonder how many of the sales wouldn't even take place if these promises weren't being made?

And if sales aren't being made, how is the company supposed to pay the delivery people's salaries? Salespeople=money going to the company=company has money to pay everyone that works for them, regardless of their place in the company.

UncleThursday said:
Nordling said:
Another case of stereotyping. When I was a salesman, I often had to unload the trucks because our one warehouse guy would call in sick half the time, and as far as making promises to get a sale...if the promise was based JUST on getting the customer's money...like promising something "tomorrow" that we didn't even have in stock...my boss woud have told me I'd better SHIT that item and deliver it myself.

Every company and every job is different; just like people.

Rare job, then. The only time I've ever seen sales people on the floor of any company I have worked for was when they were bitching and crying about why their order wasn't done. Most of them wouldn't know the right end of a pallet jack, let alone a fork truck to unload a truck. I suppose the only difference would be the example you mention of being out of stock where the sales person would be held accountable... unless they could pass the blame on to inventory for not having the system updated fast enough.

Every company is different, yes, but the bigger the company, the more sacrosanct sales people become. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

Not so rare a job in my experience. Perhaps its the locale or just my luck... A fairly large percentage of the sales folks I make purchases from seem to have the general knowledge/ability to take it from cash register to pulling the order and getting it loaded/delivered.

UncleThursday said:
But it Is the fault of sales people when they make promises that cannot realistically be kept.

Example:

Salesperson putting in unrealistic order that in no way could conceivably ship out in under a day at the end of the day."Yeah! No problem! I can get that shipped out tomorrow for you!" Puts in order. Goes home. Comes in the next day. If order cannot ship, calls/emails higher ups in company bitching about how his/her customer needs it shipped out that day. Higher ups rain holy hell down on regular employees for not getting order shipped out on time.

Right, but that's an example of someone not doing their job properly and making promises that can't be kept. That would be like a cam girl promising a customer a custom clip by the weekend knowing that she likely won't get a chance to do it before the weekend. It doesn't mean that camming is an easy job.

The other thing to consider is that too much custom is better than not enough. Yes, the sales people might be making it hard for the people who ship the stuff to get everything sent out in time, but then surely whoever is in charge of hiring the people who deal with that area of the business need to hire more people to keep up with demand. The sales people are saying "here, we've convinced 50 people to buy this product but they want it by the end of the week". The folk who ship the items are saying "hey, that's impossible, we can't do that". Either the sales people make less sales for the company, or the company hires more people to keep up with demand. If the company are saying "we need to honour any sales the sales people make but we're not gonna hire enough staff to make that realistically achievable" then the company is at fault, not the sales team.

Notice that the sales person promised he/she would get the order out?

"When can you get this out to me?"
"I'll get it out to you by the weekend, sir"

"When can you get this out to me?"
"Well, once I've put the order through and it's reached our distribution team, we'll have workers from the warehouse move the item into a van for delivery at which point a driver will deliver it, so... probably by the weekend?"

One is quick and to the point and reassures the customer that the person making the sale is dealing with the sale (even if they're not), one is needlessly long-winded (even if it does acknowledge the work of others).

EDIT: Roxie got there first with the point about workfoce :) . Also, Roxie's new avatar... yeah :shifty:

I'm not 100% coherent right now, but are we arguing that successful models should go to hell because they are salespeople?

I would share my experiences as a salesperson but I feel I would be told that my experience was "rare" so it doesn't count :)

Now I feel kind of like an asshole for asking for salespeople to help me at stores so I can understand their products and their services better. I had no idea I was talking to demon spawn.

UncleThursday said:
Rare job, then. The only time I've ever seen sales people on the floor of any company I have worked for was when they were bitching and crying about why their order wasn't done. Most of them wouldn't know the right end of a pallet jack, let alone a fork truck to unload a truck. I suppose the only difference would be the example you mention of being out of stock where the sales person would be held accountable... unless they could pass the blame on to inventory for not having the system updated fast enough.

Every company is different, yes, but the bigger the company, the more sacrosanct sales people become. It's an unfortunate fact of life.

I just want to randomly chime in that I used to work in a sales environment, lifted heavy shit all day, and drove a forklift! I've had the joy of being in all ends of the sales spectrum, irl and via cam. :violin:

:-D

I'm a software developer. I could easily say "I do all the work actually producing stuff, and my bosses just bullshit all day and order me around." That's how I feel sometimes, because there are a heck of a lot more people who want to be bosses and project managers than developers. Most (not all but most) of these bosses don't understand the technology and would be totally lost if they were asked to actually do what I do. One of them literally did nothing all day but attend meetings and bullshit. Heck, at one point, I was working under two Team Leads, a Platform Manager, a Platform Owner.. four managers! And when the platform had a catastrophic problem, the only one who could deal with it was... me. One day, I was on a conference call with literally 20 people all day discussing a problem and I was the only one there who understood what the problem was.

But the situation was totally fair. Why? Because 90% of life is politics and dealing with people. The technical platform that I worked on was a software that was supposed to make it easier for people to collaborate on their work. It's only useful in so far as it served PEOPLE and made PEOPLE (in this case the customers) happy. My managers kept up the relationship with the customer so I didn't have to. And it's that relationship which ensured that I was paid... even more so than the quality of the product I delivered. Even a product that is a lot more expensive than the competition and delivers little to no features that are better than the competition (such as the Apple iPhone) will be ultra successful if it is marketed and sold correctly. Why? Because of the human element. So that's why I don't underestimate the value of the people who's job it is just to deal with other people, even though my own job is more related to delivering a product.

Reactions: LadyLuna

UncleThursday, you brought up a point that sometimes salespeople promise the moon and then rely on other people to deliver, and that those other people are the ones who get in trouble for not living up to a promise they didn't make.

Fine, that's your experience, but... why is that relevant to the discussion?

I will say that it sounds like you've had a lot of bad experiences, but that you really hold the grudge due to what a few people did on a regular basis likely on purpose, and other people did only on occasion likely on accident.

I thanked your posts because of your insight into the one side of the sales. I thanked the other posts because of their counterpoints. Unless one of you has worked in all the companies in the US, none of you can say what it's like in most companies. You can only say what it's been like for most of the companies you've worked in.

Sales is the hardest part of my job for me. I HATE asking people for ANYTHING, and I'm trying to sell myself, which is even harder. Especially considering that I still, after three years, don't think all that much of myself (though, I'm still working on that, and I'm getting better at it every day). I have to be nice to people who are doing their best to make me feel like shit. That's not easy. Historically, I've used to remove myself from their lives in the effort to be nice. Banning feels like I'm removing them from my life, which is different than removing myself from their lives. But, I should probably work on considering it the other way around.

Socialization is actually the second hardest part. I was shunned completely until 8th grade, and never was part of a group until 11th grade. That means for the first 16 years of my life, I was unable to develop socially. Thus, I'm not very good at socializing. (Part of why I have more patience for the people who don't know how to use a forum... I remember being there.) At this moment, I have about 11 years of socialization experience. Give or take a few months (because I didn't socialize during school breaks...).

So, for me, the non-physical acts are harder than the physical acts. The physical acts are only rough because, lacking the skills for the non-physical, I have to do more of the physical to make up for it. Working on my socialization and salesmanship will allow me to do more of those, and balance it out by not needing to do as much physical (working on socialization will make me more comfortable with large groups of people, letting me do gold shows on streamate. Working on salesmanship will allow me to get more people in my gold shows on streamate and group shows on MFC, which will in turn allow me to make more money with less actual masturbation.)

Even when I do become better at it though, dealing with large numbers of people is very draining for me. And considering how many models are actually introverts, it's very draining for them as well. I think, most people who go into sales are probably extroverts, so they find it easier to deal with people... but that's just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.