AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Talking on the phone

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on camgirls who answer their phone in public chat and talk for an extended period of time? Do you not mind? Or find it rude, disinterested?

I am watching a girl who's been on the phone for at least 5 min and someone said, "I rate phone talkers 1 star" so that's what prompted me to create this thread.

Reactions: MemberEd
I think it's pretty rude, but it seems like one of those things people just do. I'll usually just leave the room if somebody is more obsessed with their phone than the chat.

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
If I am in a models room that I want to see and talk with and watch her show etc, then it really is annoying. And, I really hope she doesn't expect to get any tips from me while she is talking on her phone and ignoring the room and chat. And, if she is on for too long, I'd probably leave.

However, there was a time when I was randomly switching from room to room in the lounge and I entered a room of a somewhat large black lady. She was on the phone. And this was her end of the conversation, word for word.

"Gurl, I know. I told her...I told her that heifer is half black and half Asian, that bitch can fight! Uh-huh...sure did. She didn't listen to nobody and that motherfucker whipped her ass. Hang on a second... "

At which point she remembered her cam was on and turned it off. :lol: True Story. It made me laugh and I didn't mind it then.

As a camgirl it seems entirely ridiculous to me. If I was doing any other job and answered my cell on the clock I'd be sent home. We have an "away" option, if you need to take a call say "I'll be right back guys!" and go "away". Plus, I can't imagine the personal information that one might give away on the phone.

It's her room and her place of business. But if that's the way she wants to run it, I'd take my tokens elsewhere. If it's a call she has to take, she probably should excuse herself to do so. If she's worried people will leave if she exits the room to take the call or goes to away status, well they probably are going to anyway if she just sits there and talks on the phone.

When I cam in the afternoon I tend to get a call or two from my business partners or connected to my job and sometimes my mom calls. I will apologize to the room, set my status to away or close the chatroom all together (I come back later). I cannot miss those calls so there is no way for me to ignore them. If I know it will be quick, I just mute my mic. That's just the way it is and my viewers never complain.
There have been no calls during groups or pvt since those are super rare for me. If I were in a pvt I would probably have to ignore the call.

I would never expect a model to take a phone call if she expects it to be longer than 30 seconds in public. I don't see whats the difficulty in excusing yourself or setting your status to away. Its just basic etiquette, same as how you would not want your date to continually answer a call in your face while on a dinner date.

It's funny how members get so funny about this. Personally I don't answer my phone in my room, I don't even like checking texts, but seeing as most members come into a model's room when she's chatting, dancing, teasing/trying to interact with people and they don't ever tip a cent or even bother to say hi it's amazing that a model answering her phone is like "Oh my god! That is so rude! How dare she?!"
If I were out with a friend even one on one and I got a phone call, depending on who it was I'd probably pick it up. I wouldn't spend ages on the phone as that'd be rude (though I know some people who do this), but picking it up and having a quick conversation about something wouldn't be the end of the world. And if I were in a group of people then yes I'd potentially have a longer phone call with someone. Maybe in the group or maybe I'd step outside.

Working on cam.... mmmm I wouldn't really say it's rude, I mean it's like people getting outraged at the idea of a model taking a private show or going for a bathroom break. I'd say it's nice in a way that she's allowing you guys to hear her side of the conversation and is staying on cam rather than dropping out of chat immediately for the phone. If she totally ignores everyone all the time or was in the middle of a paid show, then yes that'd be rude, but otherwise? I don't really see where it's rude. She doesn't owe everyone entertainment unless you've already tipped for it. If you don't want to see it then just head somewhere else, have a coffee break.
On her side of things I'd say it's not a good idea to take phonecalls on cam, seeing as you should be working and earning. That's your business though. I don't think if models do this they should expect to get tokens, but if members aren't even tipping her I hardly think it's rude of her to do that to them. Much more rude a member coming to a model's room where she's working her arse off and he doesn't even bother saying hello and simply freeloads, or worse makes a request/demand without tipping.

Also, I think it's a bad idea for cam girls to use speaker phone (the person they're talking to could blurt out a real name, phone number, address, etc.), or to check their voicemail on speaker phone while they're live in public chat. I know of a model who got a warning from Streamate (or was it a suspension?) for having a speaker phone conversation with her sister while camming.

Reactions: LadyLuna
Definitely rood, yo. It would be like queuing up to buy something in a shop only to find that the cashier is yapping on the phone when you get to the tills (personal pet peeve: I think it's just as rood when a customer takes a phonecall when getting served and doesn't even acknowledge the cashier).

Isabella_deL said:
It's funny how members get so funny about this. Personally I don't answer my phone in my room, I don't even like checking texts, but seeing as most members come into a model's room when she's chatting, dancing, teasing/trying to interact with people and they don't ever tip a cent or even bother to say hi it's amazing that a model answering her phone is like "Oh my god! That is so rude! How dare she?!"
If I were out with a friend even one on one and I got a phone call, depending on who it was I'd probably pick it up. I wouldn't spend ages on the phone as that'd be rude (though I know some people who do this), but picking it up and having a quick conversation about something wouldn't be the end of the world. And if I were in a group of people then yes I'd potentially have a longer phone call with someone. Maybe in the group or maybe I'd step outside.

Working on cam.... mmmm I wouldn't really say it's rude, I mean it's like people getting outraged at the idea of a model taking a private show or going for a bathroom break. I'd say it's nice in a way that she's allowing you guys to hear her side of the conversation and is staying on cam rather than dropping out of chat immediately for the phone. If she totally ignores everyone all the time or was in the middle of a paid show, then yes that'd be rude, but otherwise? I don't really see where it's rude. She doesn't owe everyone entertainment unless you've already tipped for it. If you don't want to see it then just head somewhere else, have a coffee break.
On her side of things I'd say it's not a good idea to take phonecalls on cam, seeing as you should be working and earning. That's your business though. I don't think if models do this they should expect to get tokens, but if members aren't even tipping her I hardly think it's rude of her to do that to them. Much more rude a member coming to a model's room where she's working her arse off and he doesn't even bother saying hello and simply freeloads, or worse makes a request/demand without tipping.

Yeah, I agree. So many members sit in a model's room and will stare at her and never say a word. But God forbid a model answers a quick phone call to, say, confirm a doctor's appointment. Not that I would be on the phone while camming in the same room. If it's a quick call I need to answer, I'd just say and type "I gotta take this call...be right back!" and run out the room real quick to handle it. I can't remember that ever happening to me while on MFC (getting an important phone call).

If we're talking about a model having a "Ooh, girl, lemme tell you what happened last night!!!" conversation with her best friend while on cam, yeah that's a bad idea, and that needs to be saved for a later time when she's not camming in public chat.

I think texting is a little different. I keep my cell phone beside me at all times (usually out of cam's view), and it's very easy to send a quick text on the phone on my bed while keeping an eye on public chat. If I'm in public chat trying to make conversation, and members are just sitting there in silence, there's no reason for them to get butthurt ("What are you doing, bb???") when I glance down at my phone to reply to a text. It's not like we're in private, and it's not distracting me from camming. Same thing if I have a small bowl of green grapes beside me on the bed. Me looking down for a few seconds to grab a few grapes from the dish and put them in my mouth isn't hurting anybody.

I think it's a little rude and a little dangerous. I think from the members' side muting the mic and just putting on the sexy while you're talking is fine, but I'd worry about the mic failing and it still being audible, and they could hear my conversation. I usually ignore calls, but if I need to answer it, I put it on away and leave the room for a minute. Sometimes I'll ignore a call and text them back "working whats up?" or something quick. I avoid texting too much on cam, too, but it's less disruptive if you need to do it.

NataliaGrey said:
I think it's a little rude and a little dangerous. I think from the members' side muting the mic and just putting on the sexy while you're talking is fine, but I'd worry about the mic failing and it still being audible, and they could hear my conversation. I usually ignore calls, but if I need to answer it, I put it on away and leave the room for a minute. Sometimes I'll ignore a call and text them back "working whats up?" or something quick. I avoid texting too much on cam, too, but it's less disruptive if you need to do it.
Ironically i just sent an email to a model, who answered her phone, to tell her to be cautious. We could hear every single word of what was being said (at least i could). Luckily it was just an automated message saying an event she was participating in had a change. No personal info.

So keep in mind 'some' of us don't just have crappy little 2.0 speakers. Some of us have 5.1 surround sound that when turned up can hear your cat meow in the next room. A loud phone, not a problem at all.

The only reason members aren't saying anything or tipping is that we are busy texting, tweeting, facebookling, tumbling, emailing, youtubing and sometimes talking on the phone. I spend at least half my time AFK while logged in. Some models appear to believe we pervs are fapping non-stop, but that's simply not the case.

Reactions: LadyLuna
I think it's rude. Models are there to entertain not to ignore their room. I do keep my phone with me however, when I'm camming from a public plAce for security reasons.
Maybe I'm a bit extreme but I feel like that even when all of a sudden I get long pms that require me to not pay attention to my room. I usually just apologize to the room after I answer them.

Kickaz said:
I think it's rude. Models are there to entertain not to ignore their room. I do keep my phone with me however, when I'm camming from a public plAce for security reasons.
Maybe I'm a bit extreme but I feel like that even when all of a sudden I get long pms that require me to not pay attention to my room. I usually just apologize to the room after I answer them.
Long pm's? That's rude, who would do such a thing? .......... :think: uhm, never mind. :mrgreen:

My phone calls are always important. If it's a dr. I excuse myself from the room. If it's my mom or nana, I answer it on cam and talk for less than 3min. and sometimes they say "hi" to my room. The guys usually find that amusing that they can talk to my parents.

Camming is not like other jobs. You are your own boss. If I owned my own company and held a meeting, and my phone rang, I'd have every right to answer it. No one would question my authority. I feel that camming is the same way. My room, my rules, ect. It may be rude to talk for an extended period of time, but just to answer it? I think that's okay.

PlayboyMegan said:
My phone calls are always important. If it's a dr. I excuse myself from the room. If it's my mom or nana, I answer it on cam and talk for less than 3min. and sometimes they say "hi" to my room. The guys usually find that amusing that they can talk to my parents.

Camming is not like other jobs. You are your own boss. If I owned my own company and held a meeting, and my phone rang, I'd have every right to answer it. No one would question my authority. I feel that camming is the same way. My room, my rules, ect. It may be rude to talk for an extended period of time, but just to answer it? I think that's okay.

It may be "okay" in that you can do whatever you want, sure. I mean, a camgirl can be downright nasty to her customers if she wants to be, because you're right, it's her room and she's not breaking any rules. But is it a good idea? Probably not. She'll alienate a LOT of potentially paying customers. The same with a phone call. I'm not saying you're alienating members in your room, it actually sounds like you're involving them a bit which they may like, I'm just saying that "IT'S MAH ROOM I DO WHAT I WANT" may not always be the best attitude to take.

Reactions: SexySteph
PlayboyMegan said:

The owner of the company I work for doesn't answer his phone in a meeting with customers unless he suspects a family emergency. A lot of time, he won't answer in a meeting with employees, unless, of course, it's a customer calling.

A lot of the difference in how we treat each other and allow technology to dictate the tone of our interactions is generational, I think. A lot of us middle-aged types forget that we are of a different era sometimes.

NataliaGrey said:
PlayboyMegan said:

It may be "okay" in that you can do whatever you want, sure. I mean, a camgirl can be downright nasty to her customers if she wants to be, because you're right, it's her room and she's not breaking any rules. But is it a good idea? Probably not. She'll alienate a LOT of potentially paying customers. The same with a phone call. I'm not saying you're alienating members in your room, it actually sounds like you're involving them a bit which they may like, I'm just saying that "IT'S MAH ROOM I DO WHAT I WANT" may not always be the best attitude to take.
We'll have to agree to disagree, then. Because so many guys like different things, I do think you should have the attitude, "it's my room, I do what I want." Some guys will like it, some guys won't. You always alienate members. Sometimes they don't like your voice, your body, your personality, your hair color. You can't please them all, so do what YOU want and one guy is bound to like it. One model (I think on SM) is a complete bitch to her members, she is high ranked, and seems to be doing well for herself. All guys are looking for different things. My room is super chill. We kick back, talk, I eat on cam, I've shaved on cam, and I talk on the phone on cam. But that's just the way my room is ran. It's more of a best friend atmosphere than it is a customer and client one. Some guys like it, some don't. Can't please em' all.

I think it would only become an issue for me when they neglect the viewers while they're on the phone.
They can (should) still type, make hand gestures, etc. to show they're not just ignoring them.

if they're not ignoring the chat, it gives me more opportunity for my "tell them I said hi" pleas to be acknowledged.

Aside from it being perceived as "rude", I don't think it's OK simply for the huge safety risk involved. Some girls' niche is the snotty, stuck-up princess so for them to answer the phone may not ruffle their members' feathers. I'd personally never do that because it's unsafe first and rude second.

JerryBoBerry said:
Kickaz said:
Long pm's? That's rude, who would do such a thing? .......... :think: uhm, never mind. :mrgreen:

Lol jerry there's worse. Kidding, you have never bothered me :)

All_Mina said:
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on camgirls who answer their phone in public chat and talk for an extended period of time? Do you not mind? Or find it rude, disinterested?

I am watching a girl who's been on the phone for at least 5 min and someone said, "I rate phone talkers 1 star" so that's what prompted me to create this thread.

I may be wrong here but I would expect that someone who is rude on cam with their phone etiquette is also probably rude in other ways too. That wouldn't be someone I would enjoy viewing so in that case a phone call could cause me to leave their room. But I don't think it's just the phone as much as it is a reflection on the model.

I also think most of the models here would be aware enough to excuse themselves from their room for a lengthy phone call.
:thumbleft:

note: the kind of phone calls i was talking about being rude or unprofessional (ish in both cases) arent the ones that most people take or make. drs, family etc, or even just a quick one for whatever reason are part of life and dont count. you could do that at most jobs and only an asshole boss would care. i was referring to the 20 minute plus random calls just to chat.

and even in those cases it isnt TRULY rude or unprofessional considering that camming is an at home business. it depends on how its handled.

Isabella_deL said:

The original poster asked for "my" views about this, and I do chat and I do tip. And I do find it a bit rude that she would interrupt the conversation in the room to take a chit-chat type of phone call -- much as I would if the cashier at the grocery store would stop ringing up my purchases to take a personal call. Not a completely apt analogy, but in the ballpark. I might leave but certainly wouldn't rule out returning because of it. However, I do agree with you about the non-customers, the premiums who never tip and the basics who do nothing but silently drool and play with themselves. She can talk on the phone until they go away for all I care. Who gives a flip what they think or desire in this matter? Until they step up and put some skin in the game other than their penises, they're non-entities as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.