AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Talking on the phone

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never taken a phone call on cam, but I'm surprised it's considered that rude! I guess the only times I've seen girls do it, they're usually less than three minutes and the girl has danced/flashed/etc while she was on the phone. It never seemed rude to me, but I can imagine if the girl was on the phone for a long time or just ignored the room, that would be rude.

Personally I would never answer a call because I suck at multitasking, and I would be worried about saying something personal. But I've never seen a girl get too carried away with a phone call.

GenXoxo said:
I have never taken a phone call on cam, but I'm surprised it's considered that rude! I guess the only times I've seen girls do it, they're usually less than three minutes and the girl has danced/flashed/etc while she was on the phone. It never seemed rude to me, but I can imagine if the girl was on the phone for a long time or just ignored the room, that would be rude.

Personally I would never answer a call because I suck at multitasking, and I would be worried about saying something personal. But I've never seen a girl get too carried away with a phone call.

I'm still not sure if "rude" is exactly the word. Irritating maybe.... It might be rude if a guy was mid conversation with a model, tipping her etc and she just went "brb phone" and started chatting for ages leaving him hanging. There's also the matter that if you were in a store and the store owner got a phone call, it could be work related, in this case they wouldn't just hang up to serve you, you'd have to wait. I mean sure with a camgirl it might obviously be chat, but in some cases it might be important and even work related.

What would be beyond rude would be if a model did this in private chat, group chat or during the middle of a paid public show. Other than that, no I don't see it as "rude". I think it's not very interesting to watch, but the model isn't forcing people to sit there and watch.

I would never carry out a whole convo while camming (and I definitely wouldn't use speakerphone!) but I have answered the phone maybe once or twice. With a quick, "Yeah I'm camming right now. Okay, bye." And then I smiled brightly at my room and said, Okay so anyway!:) My room is very chill and laid back and I can't imagine my buddies ever getting pissed about a nanosecond phonecall. But that's just me! :twocents-02cents:

I think it would depend on the situation. Room is slow no one is tipping or talking, I would take the call and would not blame a model for doing so either. The only time I find it rude is if it was in the middle of a show or in the middle of a conversation. Emergencies will always be an exception. I would not think it was rude or inappropriate to answer a phone call then.

Reactions: Gen
I guess the rudeness would occur if it were handled that way. If the model said I need to take this call or I'll be right back, who could be upset about that? I wouldn't. But if she ignored the room and just started talking on the phone, I would take that as being a bit rude. After all, she is ostensibly open for business. I'll hang up now and say no more.

I've seen people do this, ignoring their room for aaaages. I find it rude. :/ If they were a member, would they watch someone ignoring them?

However, there have been occasions when I've quickly answered my phone to my mother. I warn my room first, and make it fun- keeping my mic on and making the 'shh' sign at my viewers. If my mother asks me what I'm doing, I tell her I'm doing my homework, and my room always finds this really funny. :D I make sure to keep it under 2 minutes, so I've never had any complaints, only giggles. :)

Alice_93 said:
I've seen people do this, ignoring their room for aaaages. I find it rude. :/ If they were a member, would they watch someone ignoring them?

However, there have been occasions when I've quickly answered my phone to my mother. I warn my room first, and make it fun- keeping my mic on and making the 'shh' sign at my viewers. If my mother asks me what I'm doing, I tell her I'm doing my homework, and my room always finds this really funny. :D I make sure to keep it under 2 minutes, so I've never had any complaints, only giggles. :)

That actually sounds like entertainment and a lot of fun!

Reactions: Sevrin
Taking a mobile call is part of all of lives now. If a model is chatting away with room and has to take a call I see no big deal.
What I have seen as a room killer tho is a model so engrossed in texting, whatsapp or viber the room will totally loses any interest in her.
One studio banned their models from taking phones into the working area and saw a 60% increase in revenue :shock:

I think there's a major double standard with a lot of members. I get that everyone comes to camland wanting it all to be perfect, but also wanting it to be realistically perfect, but as soon as you enter camland you enter a world with models who are real people.
If a member gets a phonecall, even when they're deep in conversation with a model, they always leave to go answer it, or go to do something else for a bit. I would never be like "oh my god, that's so rude!". If we were in the middle of a show and they stopped the show expecting me to restart after their phonecall then that'd be rude, but in public chat? No of course not. Why is it that members are cool with themselves doing certain things, but god forbid a model does it and it's an "oh my god!" moment.

I understand that the members are the ones who are paying the model, but even paying members will often sit and freeload in rooms and get plenty of free entertainment. Even in a work environment although you probably wouldn't answer the phone while serving a customer or while in a meeting, you would pop off and have a quick break for a phonecall, chat quickly in the office etc.
Several people have said on here that it'd be better for the model to leave the room for her phonecall, or to mark it as "away". How is that less rude than actually staying on cam where people can still see and hear you? How is staring at an empty camroom more entertaining than watching a camgirl on the phone?

The difference is that models' livelihoods depends on whether or not the viewers like what they are seeing and are being entertained. MFC is a fantasy world for many members. If a model integrates that phone call into her show, like Megan does sometimes, or even simply acknowledges her members by excusing herself, it can work in her favor. If she doesn't, she is just a person on the phone who is ignoring me. I can get myself ignored anywhere, anytime, for free.

I guess we should ask ourselves "Why do we and society in general deem it rude to talk on the phone in front of others for an extended period of time". I can think of three reasons.

1) We are taking up the attention of others without reciprocating any.
2) By being physically present (and talking in another conversation) but not contributing to the ongoing conversation, you are distracting or impeding others who want to carry on the conversation because there is another person speaking at the same time.
3) You expect others to be interested enough to want to listen to your conversation when this might not be so.

Of course in camland its very different from real life but I think some points do apply in both situations. And regarding non tipping members and whether they are entitled to have any say in what you do, I believe this still goes back to the adage of the customer is always right. At the risk of beating a dead horse, this is the reason why sales persons are told to always greet a person with a smile when they enter a shop, appear approachable and extend a friendly goodbye and hope to see you again even if the customer does not buy anything. This is because you will never know what impression your demeanour will leave on others and if that particular customer will come back in future to buy something. Same thing in camland where sometimes a fleeting impression of models can make a difference between whether members return (and possibly tipping) or never coming back again. At least for me personally, with so many models online, I only spend a few seconds in each room before moving on and if I chance upon a room where a model seems engrossed on her phone and totally ignoring her members, it is unlikely I will ever return :twocents-02cents:

The only time I find it rude/annoying is if the model answers the phone and talks for a long period of time and ignores the room. I don't mind it if someone has to take a call. As people have talked about before, it can be fun or funny to watch someone if they are pretending that they are doing homework or something when they are naked on cam. I may even tip if the story she is telling to her caller is good enough. lol But If a model is having a 10 min talk with some random person about how the guy at the Gap doesn't know how to fold the shirts properly (an actual conversation I have witnessed) and doesn't even pretend that she is on cam anymore, then yeah, I'd get fed up and leave her room. If you need to take a call that is going to last a while, I'd rather you set your cam to Away and come back when you are done.

Reactions: Sevrin
Isabella_deL said:
I think there's a major double standard with a lot of members. I get that everyone comes to camland wanting it all to be perfect, but also wanting it to be realistically perfect, but as soon as you enter camland you enter a world with models who are real people.
If a member gets a phonecall, even when they're deep in conversation with a model, they always leave to go answer it, or go to do something else for a bit. I would never be like "oh my god, that's so rude!". If we were in the middle of a show and they stopped the show expecting me to restart after their phonecall then that'd be rude, but in public chat? No of course not. Why is it that members are cool with themselves doing certain things, but god forbid a model does it and it's an "oh my god!" moment.

I understand that the members are the ones who are paying the model, but even paying members will often sit and freeload in rooms and get plenty of free entertainment. Even in a work environment although you probably wouldn't answer the phone while serving a customer or while in a meeting, you would pop off and have a quick break for a phonecall, chat quickly in the office etc.
Several people have said on here that it'd be better for the model to leave the room for her phonecall, or to mark it as "away". How is that less rude than actually staying on cam where people can still see and hear you? How is staring at an empty camroom more entertaining than watching a camgirl on the phone?

Seems to me that the "rude" factor has sidetracked this discussion for me. Perhaps it isn't rude; perhaps it's just bad business instead -- or just a business decision. I'd rather the model excused herself as if to say I'm not open for business right now. If she just wants to sit there and talk, I'm now reconciled to the fact that that's just fine, too. I'm free to stay and watch her talk on the phone or leave and come back later. From a business standpoint, she may be out a few tips. But, as you say, she's entitled to a break now and then just like anyone else. And, of course, it is her room and her business. She can run it any way she chooses. And I, as the customer, can react to that any way I choose. It's free enterprise and its most basic. But in the end it's just a phone call, and if it ends up annoying a few basics I guess I'm all for it!

Isabella_deL said:

I think the main difference is that members are expected to, and often times are, paying the model for her company. The model isn't paying the members to watch her. Therefore it's not unreasonable to hold models to a higher standard than members.

When folk here are talking about models taking a phone call being rude, I don't think we're talking about emergency calls or calls that only last a minute or two, but rather longer phone calls that take model's attention away from the room completely. At that point she may as well be watching television or reading a book. Maybe "rude" isn't the best way to describe it, but it leaves no incentive whatsoever for members to tip (unless they have an ignore fetish, I guess) and for a lot of members, it would be enough for them to decide that that model isn't for them.

mynameisbob84 said:
Isabella_deL said:

I think the main difference is that members are expected to, and often times are, paying the model for her company. The model isn't paying the members to watch her. Therefore it's not unreasonable to hold models to a higher standard than members.

When folk here are talking about models taking a phone call being rude, I don't think we're talking about emergency calls or calls that only last a minute or two, but rather longer phone calls that take model's attention away from the room completely. At that point she may as well be watching television or reading a book. Maybe "rude" isn't the best way to describe it, but it leaves no incentive whatsoever for members to tip (unless they have an ignore fetish, I guess) and for a lot of members, it would be enough for them to decide that that model isn't for them.
Ha! I once took a private and during the entire "performance," she was apparently watching a movie on TV. I didn't complain or leave in disgust. I actually thought it was quite a unique example of professional multitasking. :)

On a more serious note, one model who I used to spend a lot of time in her room, also had a "phone sex" job. She would occasionally answer these calls and let us hear her side of the conversation--it was really quite entertaining, plus she wasn't really breaking a privacy trust with her phone client, since we couldn't hear his side of the conversation and had no idea who/where he was.

I will never begrudge a model for taking a call after what I witnessed one night.

She was in public chat. Got a call. Took it. Was visibly upset. Hangs up. Says to room "I've gotta go. My dad just had a heart attack." Logs off.

Don't be so quick to judge. You never know what is going on on the other side of the cam.

Now a model obviously just chit-chatting with someone is a different story, but just taking a call? Go ahead. It may be important.

This is a bit tangential, but what annoys the hell out of me 100X more than a model answering her phone, is one who is so engrossed in PMs that she doesn't even notice when a member tries to converse in public chat. I get that she may be working a deal of some kind that brings in tokens/money. But when, as a member, you come into a room and greet the model and it takes five minutes for her to realize that there is stuff going on in her public chat? Well, it's a little late at that point. The members that have tried to interact are long gone.

PlayboyMegan said:
My phone calls are always important. If it's a dr. I excuse myself from the room. If it's my mom or nana, I answer it on cam and talk for less than 3min. and sometimes they say "hi" to my room. The guys usually find that amusing that they can talk to my parents.

Camming is not like other jobs. You are your own boss. If I owned my own company and held a meeting, and my phone rang, I'd have every right to answer it. No one would question my authority. I feel that camming is the same way. My room, my rules, ect. It may be rude to talk for an extended period of time, but just to answer it? I think that's okay.
I think you answer the phone in style. You might be gone for a couple of minutes....tops! and it always great to say hi to your Nana or your Mom. :)

Reactions: PlayboyMegan
GenXoxo said:

It depends on the context of the phone call and length for me. Obviously if it's a emergency call or an important call that the model can only expect during her time online then I would not have a problem with it (would be nice to inform the users that she may be getting an important call during her time online but not required).

However calls that fall outside of those and taking them while online I would consider as rude. From a members/user perspective they have taken time out of their day to spend it with the model in question and she has dedicated time to her room/members. To a member it would be like if you went out with a friend for dinner and they took a call and left you sitting there twitting your thumbs for 5 or so minutes.

:twocents-02cents:

Personal experience time...

I actually took a girl out on a date that did this to me, we had just ordered our meal and her phone rang (for the 3rd time) and being a bit miffed I asked if it was important, she said "yes of course" and then started to talk about the place she was going to meet up with some friends on the weekend and what she was wearing. This went on for 10 minutes or so (maybe it felt like that) so I excused myself to go to the washroom, walked out of the restaurant and stopped at the local greasy spoon diner for a burger and called it a night. Suffice to say I got a rather toxic text message while eating my burger and never heard from her again.

RogueWarrior said:
This is a bit tangential, but what annoys the hell out of me 100X more than a model answering her phone, is one who is so engrossed in PMs that she doesn't even notice when a member tries to converse in public chat. I get that she may be working a deal of some kind that brings in tokens/money. But when, as a member, you come into a room and greet the model and it takes five minutes for her to realize that there is stuff going on in her public chat? Well, it's a little late at that point. The members that have tried to interact are long gone.

Yeah, this is pretty annoying. The most fun rooms are the ones where models are fully engaged with their public chat, whether they speak or type in response to members' comments.

Isabella_deL said:
I'm still not sure if "rude" is exactly the word. Irritating maybe.... It might be rude if a guy was mid conversation with a model, tipping her etc and she just went "brb phone" and started chatting for ages leaving him hanging.

I've had a few models who have done the texting thing while in private. That's rude, IMO, since the member is paying for the private time, but the model isn't even paying attention to the member.

UncleThursday said:
Isabella_deL said:
I'm still not sure if "rude" is exactly the word. Irritating maybe.... It might be rude if a guy was mid conversation with a model, tipping her etc and she just went "brb phone" and started chatting for ages leaving him hanging.

I've had a few models who have done the texting thing while in private. That's rude, IMO, since the member is paying for the private time, but the model isn't even paying attention to the member.

I can understand that. I told a regular during a Skype after she got a text, read it, then seemed embarrassed and said sorry, that it was okay if she had to respond to a text, that it didn't bother me. I was being sincere about that, but a couple times it turned into like a good 5 minutes of texting and I was slightly bothered. Only slightly because she was still paying attention to me and just multitasking, so I got over it. It kind of became endearing over time, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.