AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

The carnivorous plant thread.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOO HOO!!! I haz NEW PLANTS on the way! I got one of the Cephalotus as pictured above, plus a Drosera aliciae sundew and a fancy-schmancy hybrid Nepenthes pitcher plant. I also ordered a new high-output T5 light fixture for the main tank.

WEASEL SHALL BE THE OVERLORD OF THE FLESH-EATING FLORA!!! or something like that...

Reactions: BarbieLuv
... aaaaaaaand the light fixture, contrary to what the site said, was OUT OF STOCK. Order cancelled. Had to RE-order the thing directly from Amazon, for about $40 more. :angry4:

I should have done this long ago. I joined the International Carnivorous Plant Society. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

Quarterly newsletter, a seed bank where members can buy seeds of various species of carnivorous plant (as well as possibly send in extra seeds your plants produce for credit toward buying seeds), a forum for growers, all sorts of awesomeness.

Reactions: Ann_Sulu
2 of the new plants have arrived, along with the new light fixture. Plants have been set into the terrarium, light unit is assembled and plugged into the timer for activation in the morning. Photos when I get more batteries for my camera.

OH MY GOD! This high-output T5 light is INSANE! I woke up not long after it switched on this morning, thinking "Who the hell put the SUN in here?" The plants are not gonna lack for light now. It seems I can also buy more of these fixtures and link them together. I might think about adding 1 more, assuming I can take the photonic onslaught! :eek:

Reactions: LadyLuna
I swear, I'm gonna have the title of this thread changed to "Misadventures in Carnivorous Plant Growing with the Weasel."

The book says to raise plant pots in terrariums by putting them on pedestals so they're closer to the lights.

The book was written BEFORE the advent of high-output T5 lights.

I came home to BLEACHED flytrap leaves. :woops:

ThunderWeasel said:
I swear, I'm gonna have the title of this thread changed to "Misadventures in Carnivorous Plant Growing with the Weasel."

The book says to raise plant pots in terrariums by putting them on pedestals so they're closer to the lights.

Are they still alive?

Shaun__ said:
ThunderWeasel said:

Are they still alive?

So far. I think the damage was confined to a few leaves. Still, these plants were ALREADY stressed due to getting chewed on by the damned grasshoppers. Who knows what this will do to them?

So, here are photos of the new plants, and the unhappy state of a couple of the old ones.

bBxp6xx.jpg

What's left of the threadleaf sundew. That is to say, NOTHING. Those green bits are moss.

wwjeFO5.jpg

That slowly blackening leaf is all that remains of my hybrid flytrap. I think it's done for.

mQ48EfY.jpg

NEW PLANT #1 - an Alice sundew, Drosera aliciae Those little things that look like tiny blades of grass are the photosynthesis stolons of a bladderwort, an underground carnivorous plant.

BRXMJvS.jpg

NEW PLANT #2 - Australian pitcher plant, Cephalotus follicularis. The whole plant is barely an inch across, it's still just a baby. :D

ozt5uq2.jpg

NEW PLANT #3 - Asian pitcher plant hybrid, Nepenthes ventricosa x ( spectabilis x aristolochioides )

My Alice sundew was still a bit stressed from being shoved in a dark box & mailed halfway across the country. That was why the plant didn't have the characteristic drops of sticky "dew" in the photo. It's now bouncing back and making glue again. A tiny gnat made the mistake of getting into my terrarium and landing on one of the recovered leaves. This was the result. Said bug is now the black lump on the leaf toward the bottom right. :D

WR3J1BH.jpg

Threadleaf sundew is gone, same for the hybrid flytrap & Cape sundew. I took their pots out of the terrariums yesterday. One of the standard flytraps is looking shaky, and the Sarracenia alata is looking almost dead as well.

On a better note, the last batch of Drosera burmannii sundew seeds arrived and were planted yesterday. The Sarracenia purpurea pitcher plants are putting out new leaves, the Sarracenia flava pitcher plant is hanging in there & the new plants are settling in nicely. The Fang cuttings are still doing something, I think. I know one still has bright green leaves, so I feel confident that one will root & bud into a new plant.

I'm considering adding a Pinguicula esseriana butterwort to the terrarium. They're cool looking little plants about an inch across, with amazing lavender flowers. Wiki photo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mediaviewer/File:PinguiculaEsserianaClose.JPG

I just finished linking a second "OMG IT'S THE SUN!!!" T5 light onto the first one, going from 2 tubes to 4. The plants should like it. We'll see how *I* like having THAT fire up at around 6:30 AM. :shock:

So, here's how things stand as of today:

Sundew is looking shaky. That 'recovery' seems to have been a false alarm, as you can see from the lack of dew and blackened tips of the new growth at the center of the plant. Still hoping this is just adjustment shock & it'll come back.

eEza2uR.jpg

One flytrap looks like it's done for, the other is sending up a lot of small new growth. Crossing fingers.

JB8G87W.jpg

I'm not too happy with the way my Yellow Trumpet pitcher plant is doing. Maybe it's just trying to shake off the stress still

s31ncXU.jpg

My Dixie Lace pitcher plant is also looking a bit slow on the comeback. You can see a bright red new leaf coming in, though.

4CrlBBl.jpg

In happier news, my Nepenthes is sending out a new pitcher (top left), and I can see yet another new leaf forming deep in the center of the plant.

nH1qvyx.jpg

My Cephalotus is REALLY doing well! All those fuzzy bumps you see coming out of the center of the plant are new pitchers forming.

iGwW9qo.jpg

Last but not least, my 2 Purple Pitcher plants are REALLY loving life! Look at that new growth coming in!

yUfyfaH.jpg

LmxtIsT.jpg

I'm scratching my head. That Alice sundew is blackened even worse now. HOWEVER, comparing the photos I posted here in the thread confirms what I was thinking. The bladderwort plant in the pot AND the moss are both growing incredibly well. (And moss is REALLY picky about the growing environment.)

Maybe I just got a sundew that, for whatever reason, decided it was done. I'm not counting it out yet, as there's a chance that even if the main plant dies, surviving roots may send up new plants.

ZuxMExX.jpg

So, it has come to this. I decided on an all-or-nothing effort for the sundew. That patch of browned moss is where the plant USED to be. I removed everything above-ground, including a small bit of the plant's central stem. That should prompt any living roots to create new plants. If nothing happens, so be it. The visible parts of the plant were too far gone, there was no saving that.

IN HAPPIER NEWS...

My Nepenthes is rocking HARD. You can see a new pitcher forming on the left, and the new leaf I mentioned in a previous post is now visible in the center.

oBe7D7R.jpg

Also, this shot of my Cephalotus shows a new pitcher puffing up down in the bottom left, and a whole bunch of fuzzy new ones coming up out of the center of the plant. A couple of the old pitchers are dying and turning brown, but that's normal life cycle stuff.

w5dU0HH.jpg

Not being the sort to leave well enough alone...

The 2 light fixtures I use each came with 1 6000K white light lamp & 1 650 nm roseate lamp.

I just ordered 2 10000K white light bulbs to replace the 6000K bulbs. MORE LIGHT FOR THE PLANTS!

(WTF am I doing... it's REALLY gonna look like the sun in here now... ) :shock:

DAMMIT, JIM, I'M A WEASEL, NOT A SPECTRAL ANALYZER!!!

Turns out I'm gonna have to return those new bulbs as soon as they get here. Further research shows that they put out a TON of light... very little of which is actually in the spectrum needed by the plants. :woops:

iSnTUgL.jpg

Of the plants in this photo, only the 2 on the right in the front row have survived. :( At least now I know the mistake I made that killed them. I didn't rinse the sphagnum moss that I used for a soil top dressing. Excessive mineral content rotted their roots.

"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!"

Removed the dead plants from the terrarium. The 'Dixie Lace' and Yellow Trumpet pitcher plants are almost gone. I just performed a serious flushing of their pots with a LOT of purified water & transferred them to the hospital tank. I think it's a futile gesture, but it's worth a shot.

No activity on the Fang front either. ONE of the stem cuttings is still barely green, so I'm not TOTALLY giving up yet.

This is the current State of the Terrarium. The 2 green pots in bottom right and one just out of frame on bottom left contain the sundew seeds that I'm still awaiting germination on.

vyeP5eD.jpg

This one Purple Pitcher plant is REALLY stealing the show. So much color & new growth.

keicJQC.jpg

Now that I have empty space in the terrarium, my brain is all a-quandary about what new plants to add.

Cape sundew?

Pygmy sundew?

Butterwort?

Bladderwort?

Another Nepenthes?

Made another change. Got these clear plastic storage trays to use as platforms to raise the plants closer to the grow lights. A lot more stable than the overturned plastic cups I was using before. The Nepenthes wasn't put up higher because they like slightly less intense light than the other plants.

GftIyqQ.jpg

Reactions: JerryBoBerry
Just curious. Is that a space blanket you have wrapped around the outside of the aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.