AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Trying to run new HD in server, and damit.

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Well, I need a new computer very badly, so I have to make it complicated, and try to run a server with my old Sata drive W/xp, pro. System will start to boot, even start to load the OS, but maybe 1.5 sec after xp logo comes up, I get blue screen, and it tries to boot agian. I have played with changing some things in setup with no luck. There are a few things I have not messed with b/c they sound possiblely changes that might not be so easy to undo. But basicaly, this setup has a bunch of stuff I don't understand. I think much is b/c it is a server? I did disable restart on fail and get only this *** stop: 0x0000007b (0xBA4C3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Also have done a cmos reset, or I think I did, but no change as far as I could see.
The server is a HP wx4400 workstation, core x 2 6300@1.86 procs. Speed1867/1066, mem ddr2/677 2 gigs - 2@1024,
Any ideas? Prolly some easy stuff I can do to get a beter idea of what is failing, but things are only easy if you know what you are doing... :lol:

If XP was installed by the OEM, it is very attached to the original computer, and surgery is required to make it run on new hardware:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082

If surgery does not help, and you don't have XP installation media, a really good alternative is to install Ubuntu.

Sorry ladies.
geeks.jpg

Reactions: camstory
The HP xw4400 is a Personal Workstation not a server.

You just can't take a hard drive from a computer with Windows installed on it and put it in another computer and expect it to boot up and work right. The two computers would have to have the same hardware or very, very close to the same hardware for that to work.

You need to do a clean install of Windows XP or whatever version of Windows you want to run. HP officially supports running Windows XP or Windows Vista on that computer. Windows 7 should also run just fine on that computer but HP does not provide Windows 7 drivers and software for that model. Windows 7 should have most all the drivers needed built-in and the rest can had from Windows Update.

Do you have the HP system restore/recovery discs for that computer?

GingerOwnsChris said:
If XP was installed by the OEM, it is very attached to the original computer, and surgery is required to make it run on new hardware:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082

If surgery does not help, and you don't have XP installation media, a really good alternative is to install Ubuntu.

Sorry ladies.
geeks.jpg
Activation records are only kept for 120 days. So OEM keys can be used on new builds if you haven't installed it in that time frame. Done it many times. I pay $100 for software they can kiss my ass telling me I can't reinstall it on a new machine if the old motherboard dies. If you have installed it recently, well, then there's 'other' options.

Airwolfe said:
You just can't take a hard drive from a computer with Windows installed on it and put it in another computer and expect it to boot up and work right. The two computers would have to have the same hardware or very, very close to the same hardware for that to work.
That was true on older versions of windows but I have swapped drives to different hardware for Windows 7/2008/2012 (Intel to AMD) on occasion with little or no impact other than a longer than usual boot time due to hardware detection. The big thing for servers is to disable / remove the RAID controllers and re-init once you have booted clean.

But of course YMMV.

CallMeWilliam said:
Airwolfe said:
That was true on older versions of windows but I have swapped drives to different hardware for Windows 7/2008/2012 (Intel to AMD) on occasion with little or no impact other than a longer than usual boot time due to hardware detection. The big thing for servers is to disable / remove the RAID controllers and re-init once you have booted clean.

But of course YMMV.

Yes you are correct. But he does have Windows XP and not a newer version of Windows.

I should have said.

You just can't take a hard drive from a computer with Windows XP installed on it and put it in another computer and expect it to boot up and work right. The two computers would have to have the same hardware or very, very close to the same hardware for that to work.

Yes, I knew that it was not going to work right off the bat. I have not messed with it since I posted, but I am confident I will get it, just a matter of getting the hard drive to talk the same slang as the computer. I know they can understand each other, I just have to translate a few words they don't understand so to speak, and i am sure they will get on grand.

I once managed to load a working version of win95 from 3 different win95 ver.x.xx.x's They were all 12, or 15 disk (3.5 floppy) MS originals, but each had at least 2 disk each that had corrupted sections on them. I finally had to pull a bunch of files off all the disk and write them to a second HD using DelTree, (old MSdos file edit program), and basically build/mix my own version of windows. :lol: It was not easy, and It took about three days every waking hour, cuz I kept having to get around the blue screen when the program would realized I had files from different versions, but it can be done.

I posted b/c I thought there might be some things I could do that might save me some trail and error work is all. But I will get it, no matter how tough it tries to be, b/c I know it can be done.

JordanBlack said:
Error 0x7B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Reboot your computer, tap DEL- go into BIOS and be sure to check if your HDD is set as IDE and not SCSI.

Also a common problem would be an old SATA cable that should be replaced.

I agree with Jordan's diagnosis plus one other possibility I'd add. It sounds like the symptom you'd get if the HDD controller (whether it be IDE, SATA, or SCSI) is recognized by the motherboard/BIOS but the OS doesn't have the correct driver. That's why the OS starts booting and when the system "hands off" (for lack of better terminology at the moment) the loading from the BIOS to the OS, the OS (Or at least the parts of it loaded to memory by the BIOS) is like "dafuq is this?"

Mirra said:
JordanBlack said:
Error 0x7B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

Reboot your computer, tap DEL- go into BIOS and be sure to check if your HDD is set as IDE and not SCSI.

Also a common problem would be an old SATA cable that should be replaced.

I agree with Jordan's diagnosis plus one other possibility I'd add. It sounds like the symptom you'd get if the HDD controller (whether it be IDE, SATA, or SCSI) is recognized by the motherboard/BIOS but the OS doesn't have the correct driver. That's why the OS starts booting and when the system "hands off" (for lack of better terminology at the moment) the loading from the BIOS to the OS, the OS (Or at least the parts of it loaded to memory by the BIOS) is like "dafuq is this?"
Hum, interesting, my first action when i return to it today, was going to be to do what Jo suggested. And what you are saying about the hand off from bios to OS, and the two working from different play books, (I added that bit just so you would know we are on the same page, we are aren't we. :mrgreen: ), makes very good sense to me. Thanks.

Thanks, to those who posted here. I decided I didn't feel like doing the puzzle right now, especially since it held only the promise of spending some of my time w/out any ultimate challenge, of is it doable? So I pulled the data that i didn't want to lose, and wrote it to an external, and installed fresh os from disk. It feels like i have saved myself a bunch of time and aggravation, we will see if it feels that way after i go through the activation process. :)

On that note, I have been thinking about trying the open source freeware os Ubuntu. Does anyone have any feelings on it one way or the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.