AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Vibrator durability - what is it worth?

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2017
San Diego
www.kissmeta.com
Twitter Username
@kissmeta4O
Hey all. I'm launching a new brand of sex toys that are highly optimized for cam shows. I described the launch toy in this thread on original toys. I'm hoping you all can help me with a related question. I've heard from models I know that toys don't last long enough for them. I've also seen that comment on other ACF threads.

My background is aerospace. I'm used to designing stuff like airplanes and engines. I'm literally bringing that level of technology to sex toys. But, it has to also "fit" the market in terms of cost. Yes, I could make a bulletproof vibrator that is otherwise identical to your current favorite. But, it would be wayyy too expensive. Duh.

So, how long do the typical toys last now and how much more would you pay for what? If the toy lasted 5x longer that would be cool, right? But, if cost 5x as much, its kinda not cool at all because I'd rather just buy 5 new ones. What if it only cost 2x as much and lasted 5x as long? What numbers do you think of?

Let me know! I want this to be awesome for you for more than just show quality. I also want it to be awesome in terms of safety, durability and VALUE!

It would be difficult to prove they last longer so I recommend a long warranty. Jimmy Jane has a 3 year warranty or something crazy. Guaranteeing them for a long time is key.

It would be difficult to prove they last longer so I recommend a long warranty. Jimmy Jane has a 3 year warranty or something crazy. Guaranteeing them for a long time is key.

Wow! Not to the 3 year warranty. To the idea that manufacturers are honoring warranties for worn out toys that are sent back! Is that really happening? As a manufacturer, it is REALLY obvious if a toy is worn out or defective. Its kinda like saying your shoe sole was defective after you wore through it. That pretty much proves it WASN'T defective!

Wow! Not to the 3 year warranty. To the idea that manufacturers are honoring warranties for worn out toys that are sent back! Is that really happening? As a manufacturer, it is REALLY obvious if a toy is worn out or defective. Its kinda like saying your shoe sole was defective after you wore through it. That pretty much proves it WASN'T defective!

Yeah, companies that make quality toys are offering warrenties that that long because they know they make quality toys that WON'T just wear out.

I had my Jimmy Jane form 2 for 4 years, It was my main toy to use with my bf and my main toy for cam shows. I work on a private based site so that's a lot of shows. Not to mention that fact that I hated the positioned of the little bunny like ears and would bend them in a way they weren't meant to be bent.

Quality toys like quality shoes wont just "wear out" within any short time frame.

My cheap ass dr marten knock offs started wearing out on the soles after 6 months. My actual brand name Docs I have had for almost 3 years and the soles literally look new.

If you make a quality product it shouldn't wear out within 3 years. I have rechargeable medical grade silicone toys from 4+ years ago that still work and still keep a charge that I paid 100+ for.

You can use your aerospace design background in determining the durability of the toys. Apparently the average commercial aircraft can endure 135,000 to 165,000 flight hours before metal fatigue sets in. It makes up to 35,000 pressurisation cycles and flights, resulting in an average lifespan of 30 years. I'm sure you can scale that down in proportion to come up with a suitable durability for the toys. I dunno, maybe a 5 year lifespan, 25,000 masturbation hours and in or around 5,833 orgasm cycles. :)

• Funny!
Reactions: AudriTwo

I know a model that keeps sending back her We-vibe toys and they are honoring them with replacements 4 years later. Mostly it's not wear on the externals of the toy but the motor dying out. I'm fairly sure it saves them money doing this since it's probably easy for them to repair a worn motor's parts than buy new motor equipment.

• Helpful!
Reactions: SaffronBurke
You can use your aerospace design background in determining the durability of the toys. Apparently the average commercial aircraft can endure 135,000 to 165,000 flight hours before metal fatigue sets in. It makes up to 35,000 pressurisation cycles and flights, resulting in an average lifespan of 30 years. I'm sure you can scale that down in proportion to come up with a suitable durability for the toys. I dunno, maybe a 5 year lifespan, 25,000 masturbation hours and in or around 5,833 orgasm cycles. :)

He could also see how well the toy survives having a frozen chicken toss at it like they do to test the aircraft engines.

If a toy won't last me a lifetime, I won't buy it or play with it. I've had way too many toys die out mid use, and I'm not particularly rough with my toys. I've had my Shibari Halo vibrator for at least 2 years now and it still works as good as the day I brought it home and squirted a puddle on the floor. It's not worth the disappointment to drop a large sum on a toy that will die in under 5 years, especially with genitals as cranky as mine.

You can use your aerospace design background in determining the durability of the toys..... I dunno, maybe a 5 year lifespan, 25,000 masturbation hours and in or around 5,833 orgasm cycles. :)

Yes, I certainly will! But, I'm not alone. All reputable manufacturers test their toys to know how long they will last under certain assumed operating conditions. Then, they redesign to either reduce the cost (because it lives too long) or make it meet the standard (because it dies too soon). The actual numbers totally matter. I don't know what other manufacturers assume for their useful life requirements. Using 25,000 hours would make the toys SUPER expensive. My estimation is that almost all toys today have a life measured in the hundreds of hours. For rechargeable toys, the limit is often as simple as the number of times you can charge it multiplied by the run time for a single charge. For most toys and most users, you would be thrilled to get 1000 hours from that battery equation. That sets the upper limit. Without actually testing, I would bet that VERY FEW of the toys on the market make it to 500 hours. Yes, the non-rechargeable Hitachi has a reputation for a reason. It is probably good for 1000 hrs+.

The manufacturers have figured out the correct number for mainstream users. A cheap piece of shit runs for maybe 100 hours and you feel like you got what you expected. On the other hand, a typical mainstream consumer who uses her "luxury" toy 3x a week for 1.5 hours = 4.5 hrs/week = 234 hours per year. She expects it to last more than a year, hopefully 2 or 3. And, that is what she gets. If she actually uses it 3x a week it lasts for a couple years. Since most mainstream users don't actually use it that much, the "quality" toy typically lasts for 3+ years. It's beat up anyway and she's ready for a new one.

What about cam models, though? Using a toy for only 4.5 hours a week is a joke. Either the toy sucks or she just doesn't want to make money. So, that's why I asked the question. How many hours seems like "enough" for cam models. It's not the mainstream consumer number! If you assume 1000 hour life, how many weeks would that last?

He could also see how well the toy survives having a frozen chicken toss at it like they do to test the aircraft engines.

I'm glad you brought that up. Yes, they do fire chickens into jet engines during certification. In fact, the chickens are shot from an air cannon at like 400 mph to make the test realistic. Why? For YOUR SAFETY! Because that shit actually happens. Remember the story of the plane that landed in the Hudson after it hit a flock of geese? Both engines were destroyed. Everybody lived. The pilot deserves a lot of credit. But, the only reason he had an airplane to fly was because of the regulations that were utilized. In the chicken test, the regulation says, in effect: 'the engine can be destroyed, but it can't spew parts into the passenger cabin or other parts of the plane to cause further damage'. The fact that the designers planned for that event, and TESTED for that event, is what kept those people alive!

Why does this matter? Because sex toys are UNREGULATED! As far as I can tell, the only regulations that officially apply to sex toys involve radio interference when they have radios (like bluetooth or wi-fi). In my assessment, the industry has done a fair job in self-regulating. Sort of like a C-. Reputable manufacturers try to do the right thing. But, seriously, how absurd is it that we have regulations for children's toys that are very specific about toxicity of materials and such but no such coverage for sex toys that people insert into their bodies? These standards exist and are relatively easy to follow for a company that has a culture of quality. How many are willing to unilaterally adopt/employ such standards to know that their toys are safe? Shouldn't this matter to models? Or, is everybody just feeling good that the Chinese factories (making the luxury toys) aren't occasionally buying the cheaper silicone and passing it off as the good stuff? I will know! I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.