AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Wacky & Weird News Thread

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• photo69.jpg
    photo69.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 308
New Solar Power Plants are Incinerating Birds

http://www.weather.com/news/solar-plants-birds-20140818

TRIGGER WARNING: There's a video on the webpage that shows dead burned birds if you go there to play that.

Thousands of birds are flying into a new solar "mega-trap" in the middle of California's Mojave Desert, killing the avian lot at a rate of up to one bird every two minutes, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS).

The state-of-the-art Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System (ISEGS), which opened in February, is the world's largest solar plant to utilize "power towers," skyscraping structures that receive beams of focused solar rays to generate electricity.

At Ivanpah, the sun's ray's are redirected from a sea of more than 300,000 mirrors on the desert surface below to hit water filled boilers atop three 459-foot "power towers." Temperatures near the towers can climb to 800 degrees, which causes the water to produce steam that turns turbines which generate energy.

All told, the facility at Ivanpah generates enough electricity to power 140,000 homes and eliminates carbon dioxide emissions equivalent to 72,000 vehicles a year, according to a press release from Bright Source Energy, one of the trio of investors behind the solar plant.

That sort of renewable energy source might seem like a triumph for the environment, but the same super-heated skyscrapers that generate renewable electricity are also taking a toll on wildlife in the area.

According to the Associated Press, up to 28,000 birds per year might be meeting an early death after burning up in the focused beams of sunlight, with birds dying at a rate of one bird every two minutes. The burned-up birds are being dubbed "streamers," after the poof of smoke produced by the igniting birds.

A report by the USFWS states that most of the birds are dying from various levels of exposure to "solar flux" which causes "singeing of feathers."

"Severe singeing of flight feathers caused catastrophic loss of flying ability, leading to death by impact with the ground or other objects," the report states. "Less severe singeing led to impairment of flight capability, reducing ability to forage and evade predators, leading to starvation or predation."

A quasi-food chain is being established around the solar plant, with predators eating birds and bats that burn up in the plant's solar rays chasing after insects which are attracted to the bright light from the sun's reflected rays. That prompted wildlife officials to refer to Ivanpah as a "mega-trap" for wildlife.

Unfortunately, the USFWS doesn't yet know the full extent of the solar facility's impact on bird populations, and is calling for a full year study of the death toll at the site before the plant's operators are allowed to construct an even bigger "power tower" solar plant between Joshua Tree National Park and the California-Arizona border, the Associated Press reports.

The proposed facility would have a power tower nearly twice the size of the ones found at Ivanpah and is located in an area with more than 100 species of birds, including protected species like golden eagles and peregrine falcons. Officials estimate that if the plant were built it would be nearly four times deadly to avian species than the solar plant at Ivanpah.

A spokesperson for NRG Solar, another one of the companies behind Ivanpah told the Associated Press that "we take this issue very seriously." So far, the only remedy appears to be cash. BrightSource has anted up $1.8 million to compensate for bird deaths and the trio of companies behind the project is looking into potential solutions to stop wildlife from colliding with the solar plant.

Attachments

• Ivanpah-Solar-Electric-Generating-System-world-largest-power-plant-17.jpg
    Ivanpah-Solar-Electric-Generating-System-world-largest-power-plant-17.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 303
Growing Penises...

Scientists have successfully grown penises in a laboratory and say they could be tested on humans within five years.
The organs would be used to help men who have suffered a serious injury to the region, had surgery for cancer or are suffering from a congenital abnormality.

The work is being carried out the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, North Carolina.

It is hoped the US Food and Drug Administration will give the green light for testing on humans within five years.

Earlier this year, the same team of researchers declared they had successfully grown vaginas in a laboratory and implanted them into four teenage patients.

The new organs were given to women born with MRKH - Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome, a rare genetic condition in which the vagina and uterus are underdeveloped or absent.

The treatment could also potentially be applied to patients with vaginal cancer or injuries.

It is being funded by the US Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine, in the hope soldiers with battlefield injuries can be helped.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z3FQ2NrTS6

Bocefish said:
Growing Penises...

Scientists have successfully grown penises in a laboratory and say they could be tested on humans within five years.
The organs would be used to help men who have suffered a serious injury to the region, had surgery for cancer or are suffering from a congenital abnormality.

Attachments

• 203944-john-wayne-bobbitt.jpg
    203944-john-wayne-bobbitt.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 277
  • LAP99080901.jpg
    LAP99080901.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 277
Bocefish said:
Growing Penises...

I do not know if what they are doing really counts as growing a penis. They are taking a "donor" penis and washing all the cells out of it, then putting your cells back into the husk where they follow the old pathways. It is really more of a Frankenstein's penis.

Shaun__ said:
Bocefish said:
Growing Penises...

I do not know if what they are doing really counts as growing a penis. They are taking a "donor" penis and washing all the cells out of it, then putting your cells back into the husk where they follow the old pathways. It is really more of a Frankenstein's penis.

Poor Frankenstein's penis... All it probably wants is love.

Shaun__ said:
Bocefish said:
Growing Penises...

If they get it perfected I guess there would be two nuts attached to the 'bolt.' So your analogy does work. :hello2:

Attachments

• frankenstein-200x300.jpg
    frankenstein-200x300.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 261
Bachelorette Party Ends With Woman Getting Pregnant By Dwarf Stripper

By Jonathan Wolfe, Thu, October 09, 2014

A newlywed bride had to confess to cheating on her husband with a dwarf stripper after she gave birth to a baby with dwarfism recently. The husband had no clue until the confession that his wife cheated on him. He thought throughout the pregnancy that the child was his.

The woman met the stripper at her bachelorette party and had sex with him afterwards. According to Spanish news sit Las Cinco Del Dia, not even the woman’s closest friends knew about the secret affair.

The woman reportedly confessed to the incident as she held her newborn baby in her arms.

“As you can imagine no-one that sleeps with a stripper at her [bachelorette party] broadcasts it or at least they try to take their secret to the grave,” the media outlet writes. “But the protagonist of this episode had no choice but to confess and could never have pretended the boy was her husband’s because of a little problem - the child was born with dwarfism.”

Somewhere in Spain, a very small stripper is shaking his head in disbelief.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... f-stripper

Bocefish said:
Bachelorette Party Ends With Woman Getting Pregnant By Dwarf Stripper

By Jonathan Wolfe, Thu, October 09, 2014

A newlywed bride had to confess to cheating on her husband with a dwarf stripper after she gave birth to a baby with dwarfism recently. The husband had no clue until the confession that his wife cheated on him. He thought throughout the pregnancy that the child was his.

The woman met the stripper at her bachelorette party and had sex with him afterwards. According to Spanish news sit Las Cinco Del Dia, not even the woman’s closest friends knew about the secret affair.

The woman reportedly confessed to the incident as she held her newborn baby in her arms.

“As you can imagine no-one that sleeps with a stripper at her [bachelorette party] broadcasts it or at least they try to take their secret to the grave,” the media outlet writes. “But the protagonist of this episode had no choice but to confess and could never have pretended the boy was her husband’s because of a little problem - the child was born with dwarfism.”

Somewhere in Spain, a very small stripper is shaking his head in disbelief.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... f-stripper

She admitted the affair, but this is kind of odd. "Little People" can have "normal" sized offspring, and "normal" size couples can birth a "little person". Genetics tells us that. Sure, it's great that she came clean, but parentage isn't certain until a paternity has been completed. :twocents-02cents:

http://www.newser.com/story/196831/zoo- ... um=twitter

Zoo Spends Years Trying to Mate Male Hyenas
IT'S HARD TO TELL MALES, FEMALES APART, JAPAN ZOO SAYS

They put the pair in the same cage for breeding in 2012 but didn't discover they were both males until experts conducted hormone checks while they were under anesthesia.

The two animals never really got along and "remained confrontational, leaving bite marks on each other," a zookeeper tells the Wall Street Journal.

:facepalm

Reactions: Lovelyhills
http://www.newser.com/story/196985/open ... um=twitter

Chatty Smoker Steals Gun From Open-Carry Guy
A man openly touting his brand-new handgun in Oregon—an open-carry state—had the weapon stolen from him at gunpoint

William Coleman, 21, was hanging with his cousin on a street in Gresham when a young man walked up asking for a cigarette. The visitor inquired about the new gun, a black Walther P22 semi-automatic, then pulled a gun of his own.

"I like your gun," he says. "Give it to me." Coleman reportedly concurred, and the guy ran off.

Police are now looking for a 6' 1" man with wavy hair, a small goatee, "and a trickster spirit,"

I haven't laughed this hard in a while! :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of my twitter friends linked this to me. This probably isn't all that wacky, and it's not "news", but I laughed a lot at this.

Mormon Missionary Ballers

My cousin Cole, a missionary in Dallas Texas, has been dying to play some street ball and got the chance. After playing it cool asking to play because they are "Just some white boys", they were allowed to play and tried to make it look like they weren't that good. That is until they started to play. Turn up the volume and laugh hysterically. Cole proves that white boys can jump

Goto 1 Minute to see the best part

Best part of the story is that one of the guys daughters ended up getting Baptized.

He actually was on a State Champ basketball team where he can dunk a regulation size hoop. He has over a 40" Vert. but doing this in his dress shoes is even better

Dem boyz ain't boo-shittin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

leech-girl-liveran_3070024b.jpg

" A British backpacker troubled by weeks of nosebleeds found a three-inch long leech had been living up her nose for more than a month.

Daniela Liverani believed the persistent nosebleeds she suffered while travelling around south-east Asia were down to a burst blood vessel from a motorbike crash.

Days after returning to her Edinburgh home, however, she spotted an object in one nostril that she first dismissed as congealed blood.

The 24-year-old graduate was rushed to A&E after realising she had an animal up her nose.

leech_3070025c.jpg

Miss Liverani, originally from Glasgow, told the Sunday Mail: "Two weeks before I came home from Asia, I started having nosebleeds but I'd fallen off a motorbike so thought I'd burst a blood vessel.

"After I got home, the nosebleeds stopped and I started seeing something sticking out of my nostril. I just thought it was congealed blood from the nosebleeds.

"I tried to blow him out and grab him but I couldn't get a grip of him before he retreated back up my nose.

"When I was in the shower, he would come right out as far as my bottom lip and I could see him sticking out the bottom of my nose.

"So when that happened, I jumped out of the shower to look really closely in the mirror and I saw ridges on him. That's when I realised he was an animal.”

Hospital staff examined Miss Liverani with a torch, before trying to remove the parasite with forceps and tweezers as they pinned her to the bed.

She said: “It was agony – whenever the doctor grabbed him, I could feel the leech tugging at the inside of my nose.

"Then all of a sudden, after half an hour, the pain stopped and the doctor had the leech in the tweezers.

"He was about as long as my forefinger and as fat as my thumb.

Mark Siddal, curator at the American Museum of Natural History in New York and an expert on leeches, said: "Daniela could have picked up this leech from water in Vietnam, if she had been swimming.

"Or it could have gone in through her mouth, as she was drinking water.

"Even though it was there for around a month, these leeches don't grow all that quickly, so it wouldn't have been much smaller when it went up there. It would have been quite sizeable.

"It's interesting that people don't feel these leeches go up their nose."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...had-3-inch-long-leech-living-up-her-nose.html

ACFFAN69 said:
leech-girl-liveran_3070024b.jpg

" A British backpacker troubled by weeks of nosebleeds found a three-inch long leech had been living up her nose for more than a month.

Daniela Liverani believed the persistent nosebleeds she suffered while travelling around south-east Asia were down to a burst blood vessel from a motorbike crash.

Days after returning to her Edinburgh home, however, she spotted an object in one nostril that she first dismissed as congealed blood.

The 24-year-old graduate was rushed to A&E after realising she had an animal up her nose.

And thus the night terrors begin. :shock:

Reactions: ACFFAN69
This 80-Foot 'Butt Plug' In Paris Isn't A Giant Sex Toy, It's A Paul McCarthy Sculpture

This week in art news, Parisians are up in arms over an 80-foot "butt plug" imagined by the art world's ultimate enfant terrible, Paul McCarthy.

QHHTqgX.jpg

Of course, the massive sculpture isn't technically a butt plug. It's a Christmas tree, simply dubbed "Tree," that's made its way to Place Vendôme in Paris. The piece is part of the International Contemporary Art Fair (FIAC), writes Citylab's Kriston Capps, and is showing in conjunction with McCarthy's first solo show in France -- "Chocolate Factory."

Yet despite all the seemingly obvious signs -- it's art, McCarthy's an artist, FIAC is an art fair -- the inflatable masterpiece is attracting attention not for its aesthetic uniqueness but for its resemblance to sex toys. In fact, France's far-right is not convinced the 24-meter high plant is an objet d'art at all.

"Anal plug or tree?" Printemps Français pondered on Twitter. "Place Vendôme is disfigured... Paris is humiliated!" On top of this, an unknown assailant allegedly attacked McCarthy during the installation of the piece, "screaming that his sculpture did not belong" in public.

(...)
More info at the source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/1 ... 03192.html

Wierd, I didn't know virgin births are possible (albeit only in egg-bearing species).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... s-science/

World's Longest Snake Has Virgin Birth—First Recorded in Species

An 11-year-old reticulated python named Thelma produced six female offspring in June 2012 at the Louisville Zoo in Kentucky, where she lives with another female python, Louise. No male had ever slithered anywhere near the 200-pound (91-kilogram), 20-foot-long (6 meters) mother snake.

New DNA evidence, published in July in the Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, revealed that Thelma is the sole parent, said Bill McMahan, the zoo's curator of ectotherms, or cold-blooded animals. (Read: "'Virgin Birth' Seen in Wild Snakes, Even When Males Are Available.")

"We didn't know what we were seeing. We had attributed it to stored sperm," he said. "I guess sometimes truth is stranger than fiction."

Virgin births have been observed in other reptiles before, including other pythons and snake species, said James Hanken, a professor of herpetology at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Fatherless reproduction in animals that normally require two parents is called parthenogenesis.

This phenomenon occurs when polar bodies, or cells produced with an animal's egg that normally die or disappear, behave like sperm and fuse with the egg.

Optimal Conditions

The number of species known to be capable of virgin births—pythons, boas, birds, sharks, and more—has grown significantly in recent years, noted study leader Warren Booth, a biologist at the University of Tulsa in Oklahoma. (See "'Virgin Birth' Record Broken by Hotel Shark.")

For instance, until now, scientists had never witnessed the phenomenon in reticulated pythons.

"Pythons are an old, ancient species. We've seen this in more advanced species like garter snakes," said Booth, adding that the discovery helps scientists learn more about the snakes' evolutionary family tree.

It's still a mystery as to why parthenogenesis happens, though Booth hypothesizes that geographic isolation from males and captivity may have a lot to do with it.

In Thelma's case, her virgin birth may have been triggered by ideal living conditions, zoo curator McMahan speculates. (See "Virgin Birth Expected at Christmas—By Komodo Dragon.")

"It takes a lot out of [pythons] to reproduce, and she had everything she needed. I had fed her a really big meal, 40 pounds [18 kilograms] of chicken. She was living in an exhibit larger than the typical size. There were heat pads. Everything was optimal," he said.

No Evolutionary Novelty

Despite having only a mother, Thelma's offspring are all half-clones.

Three of them look like her, retaining her intricate reticulated pattern. The others display a "super tiger" pattern of bright yellow with black stripes.

While the six snakes are all healthy behind glass doors, Booth doubts their ability to survive in the wild as they're "highly inbred and often die early."

Overall, the discovery reveals that there's a lot left to be discovered about parthenogenesis.

"It's something we used to consider an evolutionary novelty," Booth said, "that's much more common than we thought."

The whackjobs are coming out...

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/10 ... -sent-him/

Naked Man Accused Of Raping Pit Bull In Neighbor’s Yard, Says ISIS Sent Him

WATERBURY, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) — A naked man is accused of raping a pit bull in his neighbor’s yard.

Alice Woodruff told WTNH-TV that she confronted her neighbor at gunpoint while he was performing sex acts on her rescue pit bull that is kept on an 800-pound tow chain in her backyard.

“I thought my dog had killed somebody because I saw a man underneath her,” Woodruff explained to WTNH. “I started to scream. I had a citronella candle and I threw it at him, screaming ‘get off my dog, you have to get out of here.’ He said, ‘No, today is the day we are going to spend the rest of our lives together.’”

Woodruff said the man appeared mentally ill as he was telling her that the terror group ISIS sent him.

“He pranced through the yard naked, yelling ‘this is our day and you have to prosper in it,’” Woodruff told WTNH. “’ISIS sent me,’ and I was thinking, ‘Did something like this just land in my backyard?’ I ran in, got my gun out of the bedroom and realized as usual the ammunition is in my car locked in my glove box. I showed him the clip went in, but I always kept the gun at my side while I was talking to him. He kept saying this is the plan, that we were going to die today in a massacre. He didn’t seem to care that I had the gun, and I kept it down. Then I gave him a warning and shot the gun to the right into the dirt.”

She was concerned that her neighbor was going to set off a bomb.

“He put his arms out and started walking toward me, telling me to kill him, but to know that as soon as I kill him that we were going to die,” Woodruff told WTNH. “Honestly, the whole time I thought there was a bomb or gun and he was going to take it out and do a massacre.”

The Waterbury Police Department is investigating the incident. Authorities plan to charge him with cruelty to an animal, sexual assault and breach of peace.

The man is currently hospitalized.

Not really Wierd and Wacky news, but good news nonetheless!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mus ... -infection

Mushroom extract might eradicate HPV infection

An over-the-counter supplement sold as an immune booster just might work. Active hexose correlated compound, or AHCC, apparently revs up the immune system to knock out human papillomavirus that can cause cervical cancer. While two vaccines can prevent infection by cancer-causing HPV subtypes (SN: 4/20/13, p. 20), the vaccines don’t eliminate HPV ensconced in the body.

In a pilot study of 10 women infected with HPV, three appear to have cleared the virus after taking the supplement daily for three months and remained clear of the virus one month after their last dose of AHCC, a shiitake mushroom extract, says pharmacologist Judith Smith of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Two other women saw declining virus levels and are continuing to take the compound for up to six months total. Five women who were early entrants in the test were assigned to take the pills for less than three months. They failed to knock out their infections. The pills had no side effects.

It can be hard to know whether HPV has been vanquished, so the researchers are scanning the women for immune proteins produced in response to the virus. “We’re optimistic that we truly have eradication,” says Smith, who presented the data October 28 in Houston at a meeting of the Society for Integrative Oncology.

Stop eating cats and dogs say animal rights campaigners in Switzerland

Hundreds of thousands of Swiss people eat cat and dog meat say activists, who want the practice to be made illegal.

A petition with 16,000 signatures has been handed to the Swiss parliament, calling for the government to stop people eating "domestic animals".

"Around three percent of the Swiss secretly eat cat or dog," said Tomi Tomek, founder and president of animal protection group SOS Chats Noiraigue.

Cat appears on traditional Christmas menus in some areas of Switzerland.

It is often cooked for the festive season in a similar way to rabbit - with white wine and garlic.

"We especially see it in the regions of Lucerne, Appenzell, Jura and in the canton of Bern," said Tomek.

Dog meat goes mostly into making sausages and a fatty remedy for rheumatism.

WTF Switzerland?

Link to story

:icon-cry: The smart mouse with the half-human brain

2w4cnzs.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... H1cnTHF88m

What would Stewart Little make of it? Mice have been created whose brains are half human. As a result, the animals are smarter than their siblings.

The idea is not to mimic fiction, but to advance our understanding of human brain diseases by studying them in whole mouse brains rather than in dishes.

The altered mice still have mouse neurons – the "thinking" cells that make up around half of all their brain cells. But practically all the glial cells in their brains, the ones that support the neurons, are human.

"It's still a mouse brain, not a human brain," says Steve Goldman of the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York. "But all the non-neuronal cells are human."

Rapid takeover

Goldman's team extracted immature glial cells from donated human fetuses. They injected them into mouse pups where they developed into astrocytes, a star-shaped type of glial cell.

Within a year, the mouse glial cells had been completely usurped by the human interlopers. The 300,000 human cells each mouse received multiplied until they numbered 12 million, displacing the native cells.

"We could see the human cells taking over the whole space," says Goldman. "It seemed like the mouse counterparts were fleeing to the margins."

Astrocytes are vital for conscious thought, because they help to strengthen the connections between neurons, called synapses. Their tendrils (see image) are involved in coordinating the transmission of electrical signals across synapses.

Human astrocytes are 10 to 20 times the size of mouse astrocytes and carry 100 times as many tendrils. This means they can coordinate all the neural signals in an area far more adeptly than mouse astrocytes can. "It's like ramping up the power of your computer," says Goldman.

Intelligence leap

A battery of standard tests for mouse memory and cognition showed that the mice with human astrocytes are much smarter than their mousy peers.

In one test that measures ability to remember a sound associated with a mild electric shock, for example, the humanised mice froze for four times as long as other mice when they heard the sound, suggesting their memory was about four times better. "These were whopping effects," says Goldman. "We can say they were statistically and significantly smarter than control mice."

Goldman first reported last year that mice with human glial cells are smarter. But the human cells his team injected then were mature so they simply integrated into the mouse brain tissue and stayed put.

This time, he injected the precursors of these cells, glial progenitor cells, which were able to divide and multiply. That, he says, explains how they were able to take over the mouse brains so completely, stopping only when they reached the physical limits of the space.

Species cross

"It would be interesting to find out whether the human astrocytes function the same way in the mice as they do in humans," says Fred Gage, a stem cell researcher at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California. "It would show whether the host modifies the fate of cells, or whether the cells retain the same features in mice as they do in humans," he says.

"That the cells work at all in a different species is amazing, and poses the question of which properties are being driven by the cell itself and which by the new environment," says Wolfgang Enard of Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich in Germany, who has shown that mice are better at learning if they have the human Foxp2 gene, which has been linked with human language development.

In a parallel experiment, Goldman injected immature human glial cells into mouse pups that were poor at making myelin, the protein that insulates nerves. Once inside the mouse brain, many of the human glial cells matured into oligodendrocytes, brain cells that specialise in making the insulating material, suggesting that the cells somehow detected and compensated for the defect.

This could be useful for treating diseases in which the myelin sheath is damaged, such as multiple sclerosis, says Goldman, and he has already applied for permission to treat MS patients with the glial progenitor cells, and hopes to start a trial in 12 to 15 months.

To explore further how the human astrocytes affect intelligence, memory and learning, Goldman is already grafting the cells into rats, which are more intelligent than mice. "We've done the first grafts, and are mapping distributions of the cells," he says.

Although this may sound like the work of science fiction – think Deep Blue Sea, where researchers searching for an Alzheimer's cure accidently create super-smart sharks, or Algernon, the lab mouse who has surgery to enhance his intelligence, or even the pigoons, Margaret Atwood's pigs with human stem cells – and human thoughts – Goldman is quick to dismiss any idea that the added cells somehow make the mice more human.

"This does not provide the animals with additional capabilities that could in any way be ascribed or perceived as specifically human," he says. "Rather, the human cells are simply improving the efficiency of the mouse's own neural networks. It's still a mouse."

However, the team decided not to try putting human cells into monkeys. "We briefly considered it but decided not to because of all the potential ethical issues," Goldman says.

Enard agrees that it could be difficult to decide which animals to put human brain cells into. "If you make animals more human-like, where do you stop?" he says.

Reactions: camstory
Seals are raping penguins and scientists don't know why.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/201 ... ving-badly

This recent phenomenon has been observed among young Antarctic fur seals on Marion Island in the South Atlantic. They are targeting king penguins.

In a newly published research paper, a South African research team - Ryan Reisinger, William Haddah, Tristan Scott, Marthán Bester and Nico de Bruyn - documented three incidents of seals on the island sexually assaulting penguins.

There have been other recorded incidents over the last 30 years.

"In human terms, you would call it rape," said Reisinger.

"The penguins react as they would to a predator trying to kill them; they initially fight for their lives but the seals are much larger and stronger, so they easily overpower the penguins."

The birds are injured in these encounters. In one incident, a seal attempted to copulate with a penguin, then ate it.

The researchers are not sure what is driving this behaviour.

It was at first thought to be part of the seals' normal predatory behaviour towards the penguins becoming misdirected.

The highly unusual behaviour might be learnt, "but we don't know what the reward may be for learning this behaviour", said Reisinger.

Another theory is that competition for females has forced some younger males to turn to penguins.

"It's a little perplexing, shocking and, strangely, a bit embarrassing to see I guess, but there is definitely nothing funny about it," De Bruyn said.

Reactions: MissHannelore
Chlorine gas leak at Chicago-area hotel hosting 'furries' convention sickens 19

Authorities in suburban Chicago said a chlorine gas leak that sickened 19 people at a hotel hosting a 'furries' convention early Sunday was "intentional."

The source of the gas was apparently chlorine powder left in a ninth-floor stairwell at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel, according to the Rosemont Public Safety Department. Investigators are treating the leak as a criminal matter.

The sickened people reported nausea or dizziness.They were treated at local hospitals and at least 18 were released shortly thereafter. The convention-goers, dressed in cartoonish animal costumes, were ushered across the street to a convention center hosting a dog show.

Within hours, emergency workers decontaminated the Hyatt Regency O'Hare and allowed people back inside. Six-foot-tall rabbits, foxes and dragons poured into the lobby, chatting and giving each other high paws.

"I think we'll recover from this," said Kit McCreedy, a 28-year-old from Madison, Wisconsin, his fox tail swinging behind him as he headed back inside for the last day of the Midwest FurFest. "People are tired but they're still full of energy."

While authorities conducted their investigation, organizers tried to assure the participants that the evacuation would not overshadow the convention. But attendees seemed to think the evacuation was part of the fun — particularly those who recalled being herded into the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center as it was hosting a dog show.

"In walk all these people dressed like dogs and foxes," said Pieter Van Hiel, a 40-year-old technical writer from Hamilton, Canada, chuckling as he thought back to the scene.

Others said they did not have a clue as to why anyone would intentionally disrupt the convention that includes dance contests and panel discussions on making the costumes, with some quick to point out that the brightly colored outfits are made from fake fur and foam and not real fur.

"Nobody uses real fur," said Frederic Cesbron, a 35-year-old forklift operator who rode a plane to Chicago from his home in France. He attended the convention dressed head-to-toe in a fox outfit that he said cost him about $2,000 four years ago but would go for $3,000 today.

Attendees said they came for fun, but also for the spiritual and artistic aspects of the convention that have them celebrating animal characters from movies, TV shows, comic books and video games. Some also create their own characters and appreciate being in an atmosphere where nobody seems surprised or shocked by an elaborate, bright purple dragon.

"Everyone is from a different background," said Michael Lynch, a 25-year-old from Madison, Wisconsin, who, like his buddy, McCreedy, dressed as a fox. "Nobody judges anybody. It's nice to come to a place like that."

Or, as Van Hiel put it, "It's kind of weird, but it's not weird here."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

source http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/08/ch ... sickens-1/

Not really news, but just tossing it here. I wonder how many of the vagina/rectum incidents were camgirls!

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/what-d ... 1673859332

EXCERPT_FROM_ARTICLE said:
It is time for a Deadspin holiday tradition like no other: our annual trawl of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's database of emergency room visits to discover the strangest, unlikeliest, and most awkwardly shaped objects America inappropriately shoved into its various holes. God bless us, everyone.

<snip to penis/vagina/rectum>
Penis

RUBBER TUBE
"PLASTIC SPOON AND PERHAPS A PENCIL"
CROCHET NEEDLE
"STUCK A NAIL IN URETHRA THEN IT MIGRATED UP INTO THE BLADDER"
WOOL YARN
LONG PLASTIC HAND OF STIRRING SPOON
"INSERTED A LONG BALLOON IN PENIS TO HAVE GIRLFRIEND BLOW UP FOR SEXUAL STIMULATION AND IT BROKE"
Vagina

PLASTIC HANDLE OF SCISSORS
KNITTING NEEDLES
PEN
"A LARGE AMOUNT OF SAND"
HAIR TIE
BAG OF CRYSTAL METH
10" STEAK KNIFE
RAZOR
SPONGE
"ONE BATTERY AND THREE COINS"
BATHTUB STOPPER
"PUT A BAG OF MONEY IN VAGINA TO HIDE IT FROM HUSBAND"
BILLIARD BALL
"ORGASM BALLS"
Rectum

TOOTHBRUSH HOLDER
PIPE
KEYS
ACORN
SHOT GLASS
DRUM STICK
ICE PICK
UNSHARPENED PENCIL
"HAD ANAL SEX & HAS BRUISING, BLOOD ON TOILET PAPER, TOOK CRYSTAL METH TO HELP PAIN"
CANDLE
AIR FRESHENER
CAN OF SPRAY PAINT
SHAVING CREAM CAN
SHAMPOO BOTTLE
LOTION BOTTLE
SODA CAN
"BEER BOTTLE UP RECTUM & BOTTLE BROKE WHEN TRIED TO RETRIEVE BOTTLE W/ PLIERS. COCAINE USE PRIOR TO INSERTION"
TURKEY BASTER
PHONE CORD
GOLF BALL
METAL TOILET PAPER HOLDER
TENT STAKES
"ROLLED UP STACK OF PLASTIC TRASH BAGS"
CHRISTMAS BELL
LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.