AmberCutie's Forum
An adult community for cam models and members to discuss all the things!

Where do you draw the line with chit chat? (time wasters)

• ** WARNING - ACF CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT **
    Only persons aged 18 or over may read or post to the forums, without regard to whether an adult actually owns the registration or parental/guardian permission. AmberCutie's Forum (ACF) is for use by adults only and contains adult content. By continuing to use this site you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty good at getting straight to the point to weed out the paying customers vs. the time wasters, but I wonder if I push away potential customers by doing so.

I've heard about the 5 min rule. Guy says he wants to go private or skype. We discuss the content of the show, the pricing, and method of payment. He gets 5min to pay me, or else I assume he's a time waster.

I've had a lot of guys lately ask for a preview, like flash booty on cam, which are tipping items. Or they add me on skype and just want to chat there "almost ready..." "Do you have (X toy)? Ok how about this? and that? and blah blah blah."

Where do you draw the line? I can't tell if these guys just need a lot of hand holding to make it happen, or if they're just getting their rocks off by just talking to me and don't plan to actually do the show.

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty good at getting straight to the point to weed out the paying customers vs. the time wasters, but I wonder if I push away potential customers by doing so.

I've heard about the 5 min rule. Guy says he wants to go private or skype. We discuss the content of the show, the pricing, and method of payment. He gets 5min to pay me, or else I assume he's a time waster.

I've had a lot of guys lately ask for a preview, like flash booty on cam, which are tipping items. Or they add me on skype and just want to chat there "almost ready..." "Do you have (X toy)? Ok how about this? and that? and blah blah blah."

Where do you draw the line? I can't tell if these guys just need a lot of hand holding to make it happen, or if they're just getting their rocks off by just talking to me and don't plan to actually do the show.

If this is on CB, then you have the advantage of seeing if they are a grey user. On CB, you can even block all conversation attempts by greys so you don't even start with them. On MFC, I think there is a way to block both Guests and separately to block Basic members, and that gets at the same idea.

If the issue is Skype specifically, then how about the following idea (I am thinking out loud here):

1) Ask them how much time they want. Let's say they want 1000 tokens of time.

2) Get them to agree with you on that math.

3) Then - right up front - tell them 10% tokens paid up front now - 100 tokens in this case - if you want to discuss details of the Skype, then 900 paid up front before the Skype starts (or whatever your normal payment terms are).

The point is to set a really low hurdle on negotiating the details, but spending time talking about details is part of the show cost.

I guess you have to do this all nicely, because there are paying customers who get very offended when their honesty is questioned.

The other approach might be to politely tell new customers you only do private shows when the person has tipped at least 200 tokens in the last week. Again, you can make it a low hurdle. How many of your privates are with brand new guys who have never tipped before? If the guy tips regularly, you might not demand the 10% up front payment for the private....

If this is on CB, then you have the advantage of seeing if they are a grey user. On CB, you can even block all conversation attempts by greys so you don't even start with them. On MFC, I think there is a way to block both Guests and separately to block Basic members, and that gets at the same idea.

If the issue is Skype specifically, then how about the following idea (I am thinking out loud here):

1) Ask them how much time they want. Let's say they want 1000 tokens of time.

2) Get them to agree with you on that math.

3) Then - right up front - tell them 10% tokens paid up front now - 100 tokens in this case - if you want to discuss details of the Skype, then 900 paid up front before the Skype starts (or whatever your normal payment terms are).

The point is to set a really low hurdle on negotiating the details, but spending time talking about details is part of the show cost.

I guess you have to do this all nicely, because there are paying customers who get very offended when their honesty is questioned.

The other approach might be to politely tell new customers you only do private shows when the person has tipped at least 200 tokens in the last week. Again, you can make it a low hurdle. How many of your privates are with brand new guys who have never tipped before? If the guy tips regularly, you might not demand the 10% up front payment for the private....

That's a good idea to require a deposit. I use MFC, and these guys are premium members bc guests and basics can't send PMs. I think that a 10% deposit is fair once the price has been agreed upon. Thank you!

I'm not on MFC, but in my experience with Skype, you often have to guide the conversation and keep it on track. The info you need boils down to: can you do the show he wants (activities, toys, outfit, etc. that work for you) and how long he wants the show to be. Once you've confirmed that what he wants is doable, you can remind him of the total payment amount, and then the ball's in his court. If a guy is serious about a show, usually he's fine with having the conversation efficiently and getting to the play time.

If I had to pick one single way to tell legit questions from timewaster questions, I'd say that yes/no questions are likely from a legit buyer (knows what he's after, just wants to know if you can do it), and open ended questions are usually a timewaster (wants to hear you talk at length about sexy stuff).

Questions that are typically legit: Do you have X toy? Do you have Y clothing item? Can you do A activity? Do you have B anatomical feature/talent? Oddly enough, I've found that a guy that writes a single, long-ass message describing what he wants and then asks if you can do it tends to be legit.

Questions that are typically from timewasters: What toys do you have? What anal toys do you have? What outfits do you have? What will you do in the show? What's your favorite roleplay? What's the biggest cock you've ever had? Any question that would result in sharing a dirty memory/story. I like silky panties; what kinds do you own? What kinds of heels do you have? Can I have a preview? Can I pay less than what you charge?

Stuff that could go either way:
  • A long string of yes/no questions that don't seem especially related, such as "Do you have a nurse outfit? Do you ever do shows outside? Do you do SPH? Do you cam from your house or a studio? Do you like nipple clamps? Could you make some cake batter?" I'd lean toward timewaster in these scenarios, but you can nip it in the bud early and ask him to just describe what he wants to do with you. Sometimes they are buyers that are overwhelmed by the possibilities or have a truly elaborate fantasy.
  • A long string of yes/no questions that sounds like requesting free dirty talk, such as "Do you own a strap on? Is it big? Is it black? Would you make me suck it? Would you fuck me in the ass? Do you have a boyfriend? Is he black? Would you make me..." Probably a timewaster, but sometimes this guy is a buyer that needs a lot of hand holding. I don't recommend answering all his blow-by-blow questions. Again, you can nip it in the bud and get him to tell you what he wants, or you could give him an enticing answer that boils down to "I know where you're going with this. Stop asking questions and let me give you a wonderful and surprising time in the show."
  • A lot of back and forth over a detail, such as "Do you have a long skirt?" "No, but would a full length dress work?" "Maybe, but does it show a lot of cleavage?" "Yes, it does." "But not too much, right? I don't want your bra to show. Ok?" This is a toss up. The guy is probably serious about a show, but what you can offer him may or may not work for his specific fantasy.
  • Guys that plan out a show and then say they can't do it right now, but they'll come back later. Sometimes they actually do, but it's probably safer to go about your business assuming he won't. Some of these guys come back later... after 3 weeks.
As far as the 5 minute rule, that's pretty standard. After telling him that his show will be $X (or tokens, in your case), I give it about 5 minutes. If I've heard nothing back, I ask if he's having tech problems. If he doesn't respond pretty damn quick, I move along with my day.

It sucks to constantly hear about people trying to scam.. :(

I'm by no means a time waster. But, there's times where I can't quite decide on what I want, so some questions bounce back and forth (sometimes to the poor model's frustration :p ). Most times, it turns into "Surprise me" or "Just as you are now". The latter is usually the case. But, I also generally don't do privates/skypes with models I haven't interacted with at least on some level before. So, they are usually familiar with me.

I'm typically an MFC guy, so this is kind of foreign to me. On the rare occasion I'm on a private based site, the only questions I will ask pertaining to a private are what she does in the private, what she's willing to do, and how much per minute is the private. Any questions other than that, I feel are a member wasting your time, if you're unwilling to answer any of those questions, I feel like a private would be a waste of my time.

It sucks to constantly hear about people trying to scam.. :(

I'm by no means a time waster. But, there's times where I can't quite decide on what I want, so some questions bounce back and forth (sometimes to the poor model's frustration :p ). Most times, it turns into "Surprise me" or "Just as you are now". The latter is usually the case. But, I also generally don't do privates/skypes with models I haven't interacted with at least on some level before. So, they are usually familiar with me.

Sorry if my post gave you the impression that longer discussions are always a waste of time! My comments were just very generic thoughts to get someone started before they sharpen their intuition with experience.

Part of what I wanted to convey with the "stuff that could go either way" was that legit customers can get into longer discussions sometimes, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're timewasters. For the sanity of the model, it's a good idea for her to try to guide those discussions and get to the point, but not everyone that wants to discuss a bit is trying to scam you in some way. Sometimes being willing to help a guy sort out what he wants can get you a very good customer. The guys that drag you off topic into dirty talk or endless unproductive chatting are the problem.

The one thing I'd ask from legit customers that need some time to figure out what they'd like to do in their show is to remember that the model has other customers as well. For example, a long-time customer messaged me while I was online and started off with: "I want to do a show with you, but I don't know if you should Domme or sub this time. What do you think? Also, do you remember that thing you were wearing in that one pic a long time ago, and I really liked it? I think it was black. Or maybe red?" :eek: Clearly, this was going to require some sorting...

Meanwhile, someone else messaged me saying "I want to do a 20 minute show with X, Y, and Z. Is that ok, and where shall I pay?" In situations like that, I *politely* tell guy A that I have another show ready to go immediately, so he can either decide quickly or take the next 20 minutes to ruminate while I do a show with guy B.

Most guys are totally fine with that. Unfortunately, some guys get very upset that I don't tell everyone else to go fuck themselves while I'm helping him sort out a show he may or may not end up doing. :rolleyes:
(I desperately want to use the phrase "shit or get off the pot" in here somewhere, but a model that orders someone to metaphorically shit might get taken literally! :shake: )

• Funny!
Reactions: curacing
Sorry if my post gave you the impression that longer discussions are always a waste of time! My comments were just very generic thoughts to get someone started before they sharpen their intuition with experience.

No, not taken that way at all. It was a bad attempt at a tongue-in-cheek comment that some of us just don't know what we want... Thus the " :p " in there. ;)

Meanwhile, someone else messaged me saying "I want to do a 20 minute show with X, Y, and Z. Is that ok, and where shall I pay?" In situations like that, I *politely* tell guy A that I have another show ready to go immediately, so he can either decide quickly or take the next 20 minutes to ruminate while I do a show with guy B.

As it should be this way. I have zero issues if either the model. or myself takes additional time to sort things out, do another private, etc. But, I'm also one that I don't like to take a model private if she's in the middle of a show that's doin okay with tips (I"m on MFC, FYI). As I'd rather her make money than take her private and potentially lose out of revenue. Different story if it's slow and she's okay with it. Otherwise, beginning of her coming online if pssible before a topic gets set.

Most guys are totally fine with that. Unfortunately, some guys get very upset that I don't tell everyone else to go fuck themselves while I'm helping him sort out a show he may or may not end up doing. :rolleyes:
(I desperately want to use the phrase "shit or get off the pot" in here somewhere, but a model that orders someone to metaphorically shit might get taken literally! :shake: )

Yep to both points. Never know what you're going to come across when dealing with the public...

Reactions: Ms_Gingersnatch
I'm pretty straight to the point. I always direct the conversation into purchasing a show after I figure out what they want. If I feel like they are playing 20 questions, I will ask them if they want a show or are they going to ask me a million questions to decide if they want one. I then proceed to ignore until they make a purchase or move along to harass someone else.

I'm pretty bossy and I have little patience for bullshit.

Here are some thoughts from some one who buys skypes
  • As a customer a 5 min rule sounds legit.
  • I typically have an idea what I am looking for. I typically do not list all that I want i one message. I will ask a question about the type of show I am interested in, then about outfit and then the limits.
  • I try to be descriptive of what I want and my fav camgirls answer with straight answers. I want to know if you are not just comfortable but willing and ready to play the way I want to play. I have found vague answers lead to disappointing shows.
  • I may be chatting with more than one camgirl about a show.

I don't answer "requests" that people make if they don't tip. If they get too pushy, I silence them. When it comes for time wasters in messages, I allow them two messages. Nothing annoys me more than someone who wants a custom and just goes "Masturbate in dress". I need details, dangit! I also don't give any sort of free sample. If they can buy a $60+ custom, they could buy a $4 clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.